PDA

View Full Version : Driving for the first time

Rye
07-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Tell me about your experiences with driving for the first time.

I just got my learner's permit (I can drive, so long a parent is in the passanger seat, basically) yesterday, and I drove for the first time a few hours ago. I was nervous, but it was exciting. All I did was drive in a parking lot really, because I had to learn all the basics, like steering, reversing, going and stopping, etc. I think the hardest thing I did today was drive on some circular turn-around road at the end of the park, to go in and out of the parking lot. I don't know what it's called (it's not a roundabout), but you probably know what I'm talking about. But it was still fun, and I didn't hit anything. xD

Lost Number
07-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Gah. Me and cars dont get along. Technically, im not allowed to drive in any form, I think, but im out in the country so no one cares. First time I tried to drive, it was in a beat up Combo in a field. Despite having LOADS of open space in all directions, I tipped over into a ditch. However, im much better at driving tractors, diggers, and other heavy duty stuff. I suck at cars.

Agent Proto
07-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Driving for the first time is always the most difficult. Eventually, as the more you practice driving, the better you get. Soon enough, you'll be able to drive on your own!

When you drive on your own, you will eventually develop your own sense of style. Either you become more safe and play by the rules, or become a little more reckless. Hopefully, you won't turn out to be a reckless driver. :) Have fun driving!

abrojtm
07-28-2006, 05:04 PM
I've been driving for years and still suck. However, no tickets or wrecks, so maybe I'm not that bad.
Just pay attention.
Don't hit things.

Dude1972
07-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Ahh boy can I not wait to drive! I'm only 15 though..sucks..and I am actually really afraid to drive. I just don't want to screw up and having to take the test again and again.

Old Manus
07-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Last time I tried driving was on this sandy wasteland and I got the back wheels stuck about a foot into the ground, leaving me stuck until I managed to lift it out. I'll stick to my l33t bmx-ing skillz for now.

Tavrobel
07-28-2006, 06:16 PM
All I remember is lots of yelling, braking, and "oo s***!!"s.

It was fun.

Driving on the highway for the first time is not so fun.

Shoeberto
07-28-2006, 07:04 PM
My first time driving was in my family's hulking '88 van out in the yard. We got stuck before we'd even hardly made any progress and ended up spending like an hour trying to get it unstuck. Then we took it out on the road and I kept getting so scared of going left of center that I almost ran into some mailboxes.

rubah
07-28-2006, 07:16 PM
I drove my family's old manual truck out in the pasture when I was littler xD not much to run into out there

When I got my permit, i would drive our '94 Blazer. The scariest time I ever had was the first time I ever drove *up* the mountain. I never appreciated a seltbelt more in my life.
Then a year and a half ago, I got my mom to take me down to the DMV, they snapped another picture of me (go in the morning, they look better then!) and I drove back to school by myself, illegally, because I didn't realize that new license didn't actually take effect until my birthday, five days later ;]

And now i have my own little car, which fits me perfect to drive. the accellerator and the brake seem to 'fit' my feet intuitively, and it's a lot more comfortable than driving my family's other vehicles. My mom got a 'new' ('00 model I think) blazer, and I have regretted it. It was a rollover and had been refurbished, and it drives very awkwardly and I hate it;o

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Hah. My first and only time driving(so far) was fairly easy. I just drove down a street, turned, drove, turned, drove, then got back in the passenger seat. It was fun. I was surprised at how easy it was.

Dark Angel From Heaven
07-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Tell me about your experiences with driving for the first time.

I just got my learner's permit (I can drive, so long a parent is in the passanger seat, basically) yesterday, and I drove for the first time a few hours ago. I was nervous, but it was exciting. All I did was drive in a parking lot really, because I had to learn all the basics, like steering, reversing, going and stopping, etc. I think the hardest thing I did today was drive on some circular turn-around road at the end of the park, to go in and out of the parking lot. I don't know what it's called (it's not a roundabout), but you probably know what I'm talking about. But it was still fun, and I didn't hit anything. xD
im ok with atuo's ^_^ stick FORGAT A BOUT IT.i hate thos damn things. i crashd my dads truck into a tree and the hole front end got rapd around the tree. i got out of the truck and ran. my cuz stopd me and said. ohhhh dude, your dead...i'l bring flowers to your funrel, uncole bill just fixt that truck. i lookd at him and said. i know who do you think helpd him besides uncole pat >,< lol my dad lives ner the forest so theres trees everywere. im in a family of crazy drivers. my dad and uncoles always speed and speed through turns

(dude1972 for a sec i thought you said you blew up someones car lmao)

MageLuingil
07-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Heh, my first time out on the road I almost ran half a dozen cars off the road. That was fun ... (not). My dad thought it was hillarious though.

I've had more practice now, so I don't kill too many people driving anymore. Just the random pedestrian here and there :p

But seriously, it does gets easier with time.

Reles
07-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Learning how to turn was the worst. I went into my school parking lot with my mom and that was fairly easy. Just when we got to a turn, I'd over turn it (if that makes sense?). Then I was scared out of my pants about having to leave the parking lot and onto real streets, yes actual real streets. Holy cow! I have some pretty bad drivers ed stories, just because I only had 2 hours of experience before entering the class. The first day, we had to back up in a circle, and I didn't know which way to turn the wheel, it didn't make sense to me. I shouldn't have passed driver's ed, my teacher always yelled at me. But hey, I've never gotten into a wreck or gotten pulled over. I think I've strayed away from the actual topic here? Oh well.

Cz
07-29-2006, 02:09 PM
I've been driving since February, and I've got my first stab at a test in three weeks' time. My first driving experience was on a suburban backstreet where all the learners seem to go, because it's so empty. I was terrible with the clutch at first, and stalled a bunch of times, but like all things it got easier with practice. Having a teacher who knew what she was doing was a great help, too. :D

Meat Puppet
07-29-2006, 03:33 PM
My friend tried to teach me how to drive in some /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty old toyota. I was hopping everywhere. It was horrible. Underneath the wheels I crushed some sort of... body... of something. Maybe like a hedgehog. That was the last time I drove a manual.

I've only got my restricted licence at the moment. I don't know when I can go for my full. Not that I need it. All my friends have got a full licence so I can legally have them as a passenger.
Well I don't know if that's true.
But, for the sake of comfort, I'll pretend.

Jess
07-29-2006, 03:36 PM
I have to wait until November the 26th till I can drive here. :(

I can't wait. :jess:

Faris
07-29-2006, 03:38 PM
I've only steered before. My mom's car broke down not too far from home, and she got my dad's car to push her's (My dad wasn't at home during that, although his car was). I didn't know how to turn well until she finally told me as I was turning. I parked well though :D

I don't like driving all that much.

Yamaneko
07-29-2006, 06:54 PM
I think it was in some parking lot and I did fine.

Marshall Banana
07-29-2006, 09:03 PM
I was a little overconfident the first time I drove on a road and almost went over a few hills, because the road was super curvy and I liked driving fast. I really scared the people behind me. It was fun! =D

Cookie
07-29-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm fourteen but i know how to drive, i think the first time i just slammed on the accelerator and nearly gave my dad a heart attack

Rye
07-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Wow, I guess I got off lucky just driving in a parking lot, from the sound of these stories. xD

~*~Celes~*~
07-29-2006, 11:55 PM
=P I have my learner's permit too...got it March 9th.

My first time driving was in a big, mostly-empty parking lot. I almost ran into a light pole ._. But it was UBER fun! XD My first time on the express way made me realize that I WUB driving on the express way ~_^ I'm a natural-born speed demoness.

I haven't been driving in forever, so I need to get after my dad to get me out on the road some more. I need to get 50 hours in before I can get my lisence AND I need driver's ed....'s lookin' bleak for me, people ._.

Moon Rabbits
07-30-2006, 12:40 AM
My first time driving was a few weeks ago. It was illegal but fun!

I have a friend who crashed her boyfriend's car the first time she drove...she kind of did it on purpose to make him break up with her.

Reine
07-30-2006, 12:14 PM
I drove this car around this small bit of farm land once, I was being given a few driving lessons xD

I think that was when I was 15 or 16..

Topcat
07-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Ive been learning to drive since jan and have my test on tuesday!:(

The worst thing i have done is running over a pheasant on a duel carridgeway. In my defence i was going 70 and it just ran out in front of me, my instructor said there was nothing i could have done. I still felt awful though, poor little thing.

Khaotic
07-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Jess.... driving?? Oh my... look out people...

Haha just kidding, its amazing how fast the EoFF community is growing up, though. I haven't bothered to go out and get mine yet, more important things to worry about than having to pay for the ever-so-popular gas, not to mention insurance.

Rusty
07-30-2006, 02:28 PM
The first time I drove was around a football field in a country town. My cousin Shae humoured me and my other cousin by letting us have a drive - 'cause we got tired of having to watch my other other cousin get a driving lesson. It was fun - I didn't hit anything*!

*almost.