PDA

View Full Version : Paper Mario 3

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-28-2006, 04:52 PM
What do you think the third Paper Mario video game is going to be like on the Nintendo Wii? I think it's going to be a little weird since Nintendo's next-gen console has a controller that detects motion. But I guess I'll still play it!:) I just hope the next Paper Mario will have high quality voice acting this time. I don't know about you guys but sometimes I just feel tired reading through 15 minutes of text boxes. By the way do you guys think it would be cool if the story of Paper Mario 3 took place in Isle Delfino?

JKTrix
07-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Well, Paper Mario 3 is going to be "Super Paper Mario" for the Gamecube. Another Paper Mario won't be out for a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Paper_Mario
(Bulbasaur is featured on Wikipedia today! Random)

Isle Delfino? Maybe.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Nintendo's new console obviously has a controller that detects motion.
where have u been:p

Flying Mullet
07-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Just because the Wii has a motion detector in it's controller doesn't mean that it has to use it. I hope that only games that can make good use of it do. Otherwise, if every game tries to incorporate it, it will just become another gimmick, like the rumble pack on the N64,

Roto13
07-28-2006, 05:42 PM
If there's a Paper Mario game for Wii, you can be sure it'll use the controller quite extensively. I'll bet pretty much every action command and menu selection would be made with the Wiimote's special features.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-28-2006, 07:48 PM
Well, Paper Mario 3 is going to be "Super Paper Mario" for the Gamecube. Another Paper Mario won't be out for a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Paper_Mario
(Bulbasaur is featured on Wikipedia today! Random)

Isle Delfino? Maybe.

Actually Super Paper Mario is a platformer with RPG elements as opposed to a RPG with platform elements.

By the way Tifa's Real Lover did you read everything I posted or only certain parts of what I posted? Because I said if a Paper Mario is released for the Wii it would be a little WEIRD because of the motion detector in the controller.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-28-2006, 07:54 PM
i read the whole thing you should of just reworded it a bit

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-28-2006, 07:58 PM
i read the whole thing you should of just reworded it a bit

There...are you happy now?:rolleyes2 I hope Vivian shows up in the next Paper Mario because she was awesome!:)

JKTrix
07-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Actually Super Paper Mario is a platformer with RPG elements as opposed to a RPG with platform elements.

Still Paper Mario. I doubt they'll be using the 'Numbers' system at all, because the original Paper Mario was "Super Mario RPG 2".
5 "Super Mario RPGs" have been released already (1 game on each: SNES, N64, GBA, GCN, DS)

I'm kinda looking forward to playing through the console versions on the Wii, since I haven't played 'em. I have both of the portable 'Mario & Luigi' games.

A Mario RPG on the Wii (not particularly 'Paper Mario') could be very interesting with good use of the controller.

vampirepiggyhunter7
07-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Just because the Wii has a motion detector in it's controller doesn't mean that it has to use it
There is also an available "Old School" controller (not included) that will let you play normally.

KentaRawr!
07-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Just because the Wii has a motion detector in it's controller doesn't mean that it has to use it
There is also an available "Old School" controller (not included) that will let you play normally.

We don't know if it's included or not yet, but it's safe to assume it won't be packaged with the system. o.o

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-29-2006, 01:19 AM

Still Paper Mario. I doubt they'll be using the 'Numbers' system at all.

I don't think Super Paper Mario is a part of the Paper Mario series I think it's a spin-off like Final Fantasy : Tactics or Final Fantasy : Crystal Chronicles...You see both of the games I mentioned share the Final Fantasy name but those games have nothing to do with the franchise that saved Square Enix from going out of business.

I know Nintendo isn't using a numbers system I just attached the number three to my thread so you guys wouldn't think I was talking about the original Paper Mario.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-29-2006, 01:39 AM
its not a spin off

The Fat Bioware Nerd
07-29-2006, 02:54 AM
In my opinion that game is a spin-off because of the title Super Paper Mario.

I think it's the eighth video game in a long line of Mario platformers you see there's Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers II, Super Mario Brothers III, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, New Super Mario Brothers, Super Paper Mario, and Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm not counting Super Mario RPG : The Legend Of The Seven Stars or Mario & Luigi : Superstar Saga because those games aren't platformers those games are RPGs.

Markus. D
07-29-2006, 03:21 AM
I am just unsure about the HP platforming, might simplify it just a teeny tiny bit.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-29-2006, 04:03 PM

thats just like saying final fantasy: chrstal chronicals is like a spinoff because it doesnt have a number:p

Roto13
07-29-2006, 04:13 PM

thats just like saying final fantasy: chrstal chronicals is like a spinoff because it doesnt have a number:pOh, is it?

I don't think Super Paper Mario is a part of the Paper Mario series I think it's a spin-off like Final Fantasy : Tactics or Final Fantasy : Crystal Chronicles

Crossblades
07-29-2006, 05:06 PM
[
thats just like saying final fantasy: chrstal chronicals is like a spinoff because it doesnt have a number:p

It is, isn't it?

Anyways, I'm looking forward to Super Paper Mario. I hope they make a Wii Paper Mario as well

SuperNatural
07-31-2006, 12:40 AM
I say forget Paper Mario 3 and start on Super Mario RPG 2. Imagine Geno, Mallow, Smithy, Johnathan "Johnny" Jones, Croco, plus more Square characters return as well as new ones. I think all these Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games are getting out of hand and the quality is going to crap. Leave RPGs to people who know how to make them... Square, I'm talking to you!

Paper Mario 1 was good though, but we all know it can't even scratch Super Mario RPG.

Roto13
07-31-2006, 08:01 AM
I think all these Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games are getting out of hand and the quality is going to crap.
Are you kidding? Paper Mario 2 was better than half the Final Fantasys, and Mario & Luigi (at least the first one, as I haven't played the second one yet) is probably the best GBA exclusive RPG.

SuperNatural
07-31-2006, 05:27 PM
I think all these Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games are getting out of hand and the quality is going to crap.
Are you kidding? Paper Mario 2 was better than half the Final Fantasys, and Mario & Luigi (at least the first one, as I haven't played the second one yet) is probably the best GBA exclusive RPG.
Golden Sun was superior to Mario & Luigi in every way possible in my opinion. I even thought Dragonball Z: The Legacy of Goku II was a better RPG (well, it was an action game with RPG elements). I also strongly disagree with Paper Mario 2 being better than half the Final Fantasy games.

Roto13
07-31-2006, 05:51 PM
I also strongly disagree with Paper Mario 2 being better than half the Final Fantasy games.
Yeah, you're probably right. It seems closer to three quarters.

Fithos
07-31-2006, 08:15 PM
i had more fun with the mario rpg's than final fantasy's, but i think final fantasy is a more solid game. the marios are funny and thats what makes them great games. I especially like in super mario rpg when you get to fight that one final fantasy boss. that was so off track. i love paper mario, but i dont think i could take to many of them at a time. cant wait for the next one though, now that i have had some time in between

JKTrix
07-31-2006, 08:29 PM
The great thing about Mario's RPGs is that they are RPGS with GAMEPLAY. I don't consider 'select a command and wait 3 minutes for the animation' to be gameplay. RPGs are generally story-driven games, because if you took the story out and left in the 'select a command' "gameplay" the game wouldn't be enjoyable at all.
With the GBA/DS Mario RPGs, you could possibly go through the entire game without ever being hit, because the whole system is based on reactions and timed button presses. I can assume that the other Mario RPGs are similar, *and* they're funny. The stories may not be the deepest or most inspiring, but the humour and gameplay (in typical Nintendo fashion) more than make up for it.

Super Paper Mario is a spin-off of a spin-off merging with another spin-off. Everything is derivative

SuperNatural
07-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Yeah, you're probably right. It seems closer to three quarters.[/COLOR]
I wouldn't know. I haven't played that many FF games, and I also didn't play much of PM2, but I wasn't impressed. Maybe I'm just all Mario-ed out from... What is there, a new Mario game every week now or something? Paper Mario 1 was outstanding. Super Mario RPG was as well, but I think PM2 and M&L are only average. Of coarse I am anti-Mario at this point. Don't like how Nintendo is starting to really milk Mario (and now Zelda and Metroid, fuck you Nintendo!), but whatever. I really don't plan on playing anymore Mario RPG games unless it is a true sequel to SMRPG or a remake.

JKTrix
07-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Sometimes, companies need to milk their well-known franchises in order to fund new and exciting things. I think it's acceptable to a certain extent.
If it weren't for all the Mega Mans, for example, we may have never seen Viewtiful Joe or Okami. It isn't Capcom who's making these games directly, but they're funding it.
All this FF7 milkage from Squenix might be leading to something big, new, and different from them. Let's hope so.

Morridor
07-31-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm excited about Paper Mario 3; however, I'm generally mad at the Paper Mario series. They started it from the Super Mario RPG that Square had made for Nintendo and they ruined the storyline. Super Mario RPG was a perfect combination of RPGs and Mario, but they twisted it and made it a lot more childish with Paper Mario and they have pretty much stayed with that childish theme. Of course Super Mario RPG was meant for teens/children; however, they made the Paper Mario games less serious in terms of storyline.

Danny

Roto13
07-31-2006, 09:58 PM
That's because they focused on that awesome battle system. I never got bored of fighting in Paper Mario 2.

SuperNatural
08-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Paper Mario's battle system is very unique, but it is just an evolution of the battle system that SMRPG created. Wasn't it the first RPG game to used timed hits and allow the user to do platforming actions outside of battle menus? Anyways, I really don't like how PM 1 and 2 only allow 1 other party member that really doesn't even count as a party member because it doesn't have HP, it just get's hit and is down. Paper Mario's battle system is cool and unique, don't get me wrong, but it lacks a cool attacks in my opinion. The magic attacks are lame compaired to SMRPG and how can you beat Bowser throwing Mario as an attack? Plus, the unique characters like Geno and Mallow added flavor to the battles.

In my opinion SMRPG is 100 times better than the other Mario RPGs and I think it deserves a true sequel with a good storyline. The thing that upset me about PM is that it was a continuation of SMRPG (originally called SMRPG 2) and the story went back to saving Peach from Bowser. What made SMRPG so epic is the fact that you were dealing with baddies so powerful that they took over Bowser's Keep and made Bowser realize he had to team up with Mario. That was very memorable, and going back to the "Bowser captures Peach" story was a turnoff for me and most SMRPG fans.