PDA

View Full Version : WHY!?!?!

Cookie
07-29-2006, 04:35 AM
I would like to know if anyone actually likes Irvine and if anyone knows what his purpose was

BardTard
07-29-2006, 04:59 AM
I like Irvine :love: I think he's sexy. I have a thing for pretty boys. And his purpose was to be the sniper on the mission to assassinate the sorceress.

Christmas
07-29-2006, 05:01 AM
His purpose is to rake up childhood stories and bring along a plot twist.

Xurts
07-29-2006, 05:06 AM
Irvine is great. I always use either him or Zell in my party. His Fast and Pulse ammo rock.

Angelroo
07-29-2006, 05:52 AM
Irvine is great. I always use either him or Zell in my party. His Fast and Pulse ammo rock.

Me too. I never used the girls :p Irvine was there for comic relief I guess. Though his relationship with Selphie, and his behavior around guns and women brought some much needed humor to the game. Anything to distract from Squall and Rinoa's relationship, I guess...ugh.
:tied:

Cookie
07-29-2006, 06:11 AM
Three words:
Squall
Zell
Quistis

ChibiKadaj
07-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Irvine was

Sexy
Sexy
Hot
Handsome
Flirtatious
Cute
Funny
Sexy

Cookie
07-29-2006, 08:40 AM
You missed one:
Pointless

Outer Heaven
07-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Why do you think he is pointless? Just curious.

Cookie
07-29-2006, 09:14 AM
I think he is pointless because he does nothing for about 3.25 discs.
He joins in right near the end of disc 1 fails at what you needed him to do then helps everyone to remember the past and then that's it!
The only other noticable thing about him is the fact that he is soooo desperate for Selphie.
That's pretty much why...
Oh yeah and he doesn't fit in. A group of elite soldiers and a cowboy...(and a girl and her dog)

Outer Heaven
07-29-2006, 09:21 AM
I think he is pointless because he does nothing for about 3.25 discs.
He joins in right near the end of disc 1 fails at what you needed him to do then helps everyone to remember the past and then that's it!
The only other noticable thing about him is the fact that he is soooo desperate for Selphie.
That's pretty much why...
Oh yeah and he doesn't fit in. A group of elite soldiers and a cowboy...(and a girl and her dog)

You kinda have a point.

He reminds me of Zack Morris from Saved by the Bell...damn gigalo.

Cookie
07-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Yeah! He harrased Kelly (Selphie) and every now and then he would like one of the girls in the group

Qurange
07-29-2006, 09:28 AM
He's important for character development of the other characters; he serves as a bit of a contrast to Squall, and as a bit of a parallel at the same time. He was a deep, interesting character, and I actually liked him.

He just needed to keep it in his pants.

Cookie
07-29-2006, 09:30 AM
To keep it in wouldn't he have to get it out first- every character thought he was a tit

Dr. Acula
07-29-2006, 09:34 AM
I quite liked Irvine. He was such a perv. Hence his new nickname, Pervine. His limit break's pretty good too.
Anyways, on topic, he was there as a sniper to shoot the sorceress. Then he decided "Hey, I have no social life, and I want the girls to fall for me, so I'll tag along." Does that answer your question?

Cookie
07-29-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm not sure because i can't remember what i originally asked

Qurange
07-29-2006, 09:39 AM
The other characters didn't hate Irvine, though, they were just put off by the front that he puts up to start.

Dr. Acula
07-29-2006, 09:39 AM
I would like to know if anyone actually likes Irvine and if anyone knows what his purpose was
That's pretty much what you said.

Cookie
07-29-2006, 09:41 AM
I quite liked Irvine. He was such a perv. Hence his new nickname, Pervine. His limit break's pretty good too.
Anyways, on topic, he was there as a sniper to shoot the sorceress. Then he decided "Hey, I have no social life, and I want the girls to fall for me, so I'll tag along." Does that answer your question?

Then yes you did answer my question

thnx

EDIT: btw I like the name Pervine

Dr. Acula
07-29-2006, 09:46 AM
thnx. So do I.

Cookie
07-29-2006, 09:48 AM
You should go on my other thread- girls and ff

P.S you are a girl aren't you?

Outer Heaven
07-29-2006, 09:50 AM

Then yes you did answer my question

thnx

"Hey, I have no social life, and I want the girls to fall for me, so I'll tag along." Does that answer your question?
Pervine, rofl!

Ok now he reminds me of Kenji from Initial D [Jobless motherf*****]

G SpOtZ
07-29-2006, 09:50 AM
You know what they say about big guns...

Me neither.

Cookie
07-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Now you've lost me!!!

Hearts
07-29-2006, 10:30 AM
I dont like him. He was ugly, annoying, too out of proportion (tall & skinny..freaks me out a little), he sucked too bad at first, and uh, yeah..that's it.

Cookie
07-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Thank you very much! Someone on my team lol :D

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
07-29-2006, 12:39 PM
What are you talking about?

Too me he fitted perfectly on the story, he is the exact oppose of Squall, i think his limit break is great to me itīs the second best.

Sure he hits on every pretty girl he sees but i donīt see a problem with that, plus heīs at the same level that Zell,Selphie, Squall and Quistis since he is an elite sharpshooter student from Galbadia Garden. To me Rinoa is the only character who doensīt fit the fighting squad.

Darkwing Bahamut
07-29-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't like Irvine, he was pointless. His purpose was to assassinate the Sorceress, which he failed to accomplish.

PerpetualBurn
07-29-2006, 01:23 PM
He was as integral to the story as Zell or Selphie. I thought he was quite important to the story, as he was yet another "coincidence" that helped demonstrate how twisted the hands of fate are.

The story required a number of characters like Zell, Selphie, Quistis, and Irvine that seemed to be arbitrary. That is to say, it would appear that they just got partnered with Squall purely by chance. Any other members of Garden could've been on Squall's team, these just happened to be the new recruits and an instructor. However, the plot soon pulls them together. The fact that they meet Irvine half way across the world adds to this bizarre tale.

In a well written plot, be it book, film, play, or game, every character and line has reason. I think it would be insulting to the writers to say that Irvine was unimportant.

licence
07-29-2006, 01:45 PM
I used to hate Irvine, but on my 2nd play through I started to like him. He's just the complete opposite of Squall and quite cool in his own right.

The Last Oath
07-29-2006, 02:19 PM
AHhhh, leave Irvine alone, he was just as important as the other characters, he brouht up the childhood story and they wouldnt even be where they were without him. Pointless? No. Selphie was more pointless than him, AND he didnt need GF to pass his SeeD exam either. Not that Squall couldnt have done it, but Irvine did it anyways(but he didnt have a choice) and imagine, when you first get Irvine you dont like him because he's an outsider and he hits on all the chicks, but then you see why hes part of the gang and besides Zell has the most humour in the game. Everyone would be dead if it wasnt for Irvine, WHY? because he saved all their asses from desert prison, fair enough rinoa scartched him to death but he still had a big roll otherwise squall and zell would be dead from the gun fire.
Oath

Xurts
07-29-2006, 06:29 PM
He was as integral to the story as Zell or Selphie. I thought he was quite important to the story, as he was yet another "coincidence" that helped demonstrate how twisted the hands of fate are.

The story required a number of characters like Zell, Selphie, Quistis, and Irvine that seemed to be arbitrary. That is to say, it would appear that they just got partnered with Squall purely by chance. Any other members of Garden could've been on Squall's team, these just happened to be the new recruits and an instructor. However, the plot soon pulls them together. The fact that they meet Irvine half way across the world adds to this bizarre tale.

In a well written plot, be it book, film, play, or game, every character and line has reason. I think it would be insulting to the writers to say that Irvine was unimportant.
^^^^^

Irvine only failed because he took so long to take a shot. Edea figured out what was going on then, and she probably didn't have a hard time spotting Squall and Irvine arguing. Had he taken the shot at the EXACT moment the gates fell, he would've succeeded, because she wouldn't have had time to react.

Qurange
07-29-2006, 09:58 PM
To be fair to Irvine, heremebered who Edea was, and had to deal with shooting his mother figure.

This is kind of a big deal, and Irvine /wasn't/ a SeeD; he was a sharpshooter. I personally think he was lying about choking up all the time. Further than that,

Edea was Ultimecia, from the future--she probably /knew/ an assassination attempt was coming. Maybe not the particulars, but as soon as something went wrong with the parade, her guard was up.

Moon Rabbits
07-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah! He harrased Kelly and every now and then he would like one of the girls in the group

Don't be silly. Irvine never harrassed me.

Dr. Acula
07-30-2006, 02:34 AM
You should go on my other thread- girls and ff

P.S you are a girl aren't you?
ya.

Thorn
07-30-2006, 02:56 AM
I definately aint a big fan of Irvine, but it isn't his fault that he failed the mission. He did nothing wrong really, besides take a little too long. I think Edea had it under control anyway.

Kamrusepas
07-30-2006, 04:52 AM
He was annoying, but once you leveled him up, his limit break was quite useful.

Arrianna
07-30-2006, 06:37 AM
To be fair to Irvine, heremebered who Edea was, and had to deal with shooting his mother figure.

This is kind of a big deal, and Irvine /wasn't/ a SeeD; he was a sharpshooter. I personally think he was lying about choking up all the time. Further than that,

Edea was Ultimecia, from the future--she probably /knew/ an assassination attempt was coming. Maybe not the particulars, but as soon as something went wrong with the parade, her guard was up.
I don't. I can perfectly well believe they would delibrately give them a "defective" sharpshooter knowing that it would mean the mission would fail. It's a great way to appear to be helping while doing just the opposite. It would fit the plot perfectly. It would also explain why Irvine tried to overcompensate socially for his failings. He just tried to hard.

Mind you I did my best to keep him away from the ladies in the party. lol

Yes, Irvine was necessary to the plot. There would have been a big hole without him. The real question though is which was more annoying, him or Zell. (Don't get me wrong, I like Zell, he could just be really annoying.)

Xurts
07-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Zell was definately more annoying at times. He makes up for it in battle however.

Darkwing Bahamut
07-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Even if he did have a purpose, my opinions remain the same. As for who's more annoying, I'd say Zell.

Zeromus_X
07-30-2006, 07:55 AM
My girlfriend thinks he's hilarious, I have no clue why...

Anyway, he was a cool character. The prettyboy/cowboy/sniper/lady's man. I never used him in battle, well, only for awhile. I found out about how to use Zell properly, and off he went. Of course, I never collected too much Ammo for him, so that's another reason.

Although, it was pretty funny. I was in the Island Closest to Hell, and I was attacked by a Marlboro. It uses Bad Breath and Irvine is confused. He has 100 Deaths Junctioned to his status-attack. So basically he just starts sniping off all my characters one by one, then commits suicide. That was pretty humorous.

Tattered Kupo
07-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Yes, I think that Irvine was essential to the plot development and if he didnt come into it then they would all be running around in circles.... or dead, as was pointed out earlier....

But that doesnt change the fact that i absolutely loathe him... On my first play through, when you first met him, i was thinking 'yay, another girl' and when i figured out that he was a guy, and an moronic, incompetent fool, my low opinion of him dropped even further....

and he definately was the most annoying person in the game, though Quistis did come close... and i didnt think he was a SeeD, as he didnt have the dedication or determination to be one...

Still, he was a nescessary inconvienience....

Xurts
07-30-2006, 08:32 AM
But that doesnt change the fact that i absolutely loathe him... On my first play through, when you first met him, i was thinking 'yay, another girl' and when i figured out that he was a guy, and an moronic, incompetent fool, my low opinion of him dropped even further....
I think that is being really unfair. He never did anything to deserve that kind of abuse. Sure, he flirts with the girls, but that's 2 or 3 scenes at the most. Who doesn't do that to an extent anyway?

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
07-30-2006, 05:14 PM
and i didnt think he was a SeeD, as he didnt have the dedication or determination to be one...

Still, he was a nescessary inconvienience....

What do you mean he didnīt have the determination or dedication?His an elite sharpshooter which i believe might as well be the equivalent to the SeeDs of Balamb, which makes him one of the best of Galbadia thatīs why he was the one elected to go with the others to fight the sorceress.
There is only one person who doesnīt have the skills or competence to be an elite fighter and i think everybody knows who iīm talking about...

Laugh at face of Danger
07-30-2006, 05:34 PM
i don't like Irvine one bit, he's smarmy and up himself, personally. he's a failed sharpshooter and as such fails life

ChibiKadaj
07-30-2006, 05:59 PM
i don't like Irvine one bit, he's smarmy and up himself, personally. he's a failed sharpshooter and as such fails life
I think you hate that character too much. It was how the game was made. It wouldn't have been any fun if he had shot her right off the bat.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
07-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Irvine's purpose in the game was to move the plot along. Martine provided the party with a sharpshooter, someone who had the skills necessary to assasinate the sorceress. Other than that he's just an average character.

For me Irvine had more personality than Rinoa. In short Irvine was a womanizing, gun-wielding, phonyish ladies man with a pretty decent limit break

Iceglow
07-30-2006, 06:41 PM
I like Irvine infact he was one of my favourite characters in my mind. His job was to assasinate Edea but he failed because the pressure was too much but then what do you think anyone's reaction to that kind of pressure would be that was THE most important shot in history. Afterwards even though he managed to escape the prison and wasn't going to go back after picking up Rinoa he redeems himself by comming in all guns blazing and saving Squall & Co's asses. Enough said Squall and Co would have died without his help.

PerpetualBurn
07-30-2006, 07:03 PM
Irvine's purpose in the game was to move the plot along. Martine provided the party with a sharpshooter, someone who had the skills necessary to assasinate the sorceress. Other than that he's just an average character.

For me Irvine had more personality than Rinoa. In short Irvine was a womanizing, gun-wielding, phonyish ladies man with a pretty decent limit break

Well, other than the fact that he was someone they had grown up with...

Seriously, you (and by you I mean anyone) can reduce any of the characters to "just to move the plot along" but it's kind of missing the point: he was placed their by the writers with intent, and you shouldn't dismiss that/

Xurts
07-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Failed sharpshooter? hah. Not quite. He failed once, and that was because Edea was a sorceress and blocked his shot using magic.

King-Killer
07-31-2006, 12:28 PM
I like Irvine,
but I wouldn't say he's opposite of Squall...
Seifer is more opposite/rival to Squall than Pervine.
Pervine is more opposite to Zell or whatever..

Reason why he didn't make a move on Quistis is because he remembered how she was.
(And, in his mind, he tough she was too hard to deal with. But I don't think that.)

Irvines Role:
-Pervine each girl until one of them notices you.
-Sorceress... (...I can't kill a girl!)
-D-District Prison. (hehehe, I got myself a Rinoa. ... OUCH!! Quit it!)
-Go do a helpful hand in spite of him. (Alrigth, Alrigth. I'll go, I'll go)
-Ok, Let's rock! I'll choose! (''I wonder if the General is still around'')
Let's shoot Zell in the leg, .... ..Bang!
-Memories...
-I'll guide you in the Galbadian Garden, after all, it's my home.
-We'll go check the surroundings, (''and I'll keep an eye on Selphie's ...'')
We're flying?...
-Squall: (Standing next to her, a pretty exited Irvine)
Most of the characters don't have much roles anyway
Quistis talk
Zell Info
Know-it-all-Zell
Flying Selphie (orZell..)

When you think about it, he's not desperate in having Selphie, he can have any other girl.

In conlusion:
1-Squall
2-Laguna
3-Seifer
4-Irvine

Zeromus_X
07-31-2006, 12:38 PM
Some people seem to forget that not even because Edea was a girl, but she was basically his equivalent of a mother. Most people, believe it or not, don't usually shoot their mothers. Whether he's a 'good sniper' or a 'model soldier' (people also forget it's a game that doesn't need to conform to reality) is pretty irrelevant when he's faced with killing his own mother. Give the guy a break.

Cookie
07-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Why didn't he tell them then? Surely he could have let Squall have a shot- he succeeds in everything else he does.

licence
08-01-2006, 01:22 AM
It takes a lot more to be a sharpshooter than for someone to hand you a gun and say "Squall, I can't, you have a pop".

Qurange
08-01-2006, 02:17 AM
He had no idea why they shouldn't know--it was confusing and hurtful, probably, until he figured it out, so he was just isolating himself from these people who should've greeted him.

Styrofoam
08-09-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't really like Irvin all that much for the fact that he uses a gun for his weapon. I am not fond of non-melee weapons for rpg games.

Besides how can you raise someone’s strength if they fight with a gun? =P

cloud-freak21
08-09-2006, 07:11 PM
HE HAD NO POINT IN THE GAME BUT TO KILL THE sorceress. I DID NOT LIKE I THOUGHT THAT THEY COULD HAVE MADE SOMEONE THAT WOULD NOT BE SCARED TO KILL SOME ONE!!!!!!!

*~Angel Wing~*
08-10-2006, 03:28 AM
AHhhh, leave Irvine alone, he was just as important as the other characters, he brouht up the childhood story and they wouldnt even be where they were without him. Pointless? No.

Some people seem to forget that not even because Edea was a girl, but she was basically his equivalent of a mother. Most people, believe it or not, don't usually shoot their mothers. Whether he's a 'good sniper' or a 'model soldier' (people also forget it's a game that doesn't need to conform to reality) is pretty irrelevant when he's faced with killing his own mother. Give the guy a break.
I agree with all of the above 200% :up:

Leave Irvy alone you mean people!!! :mad2:

Shiny
08-10-2006, 03:34 AM
He had a point. He was there to add humor, though I still don't like him. Also, he was one of the orphans so it's only natural that he would meet up with the other orphans he was friends with eventually.

Future Esthar
08-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Why didn't he tell them then? Surely he could have let Squall have a shot- he succeeds in everything else he does.

Martine is a Shumi who had evolved after Laguna possess him.

He knows it is not strategically good for Irvine to tell them at this moment.So he orders Irvine not to do so.

Christmas
08-12-2006, 06:50 PM

He knows it is not strategically good for Irvine to tell them at this moment.So he orders Irvine not to do so.

No.

Ryushikaze
08-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Y'know, Esthar, you never did get around to a collated explanation for your crazed postulate.

psychic_river
08-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I liked Irvine. He was funny and I liked his bullets. He wasn't my strongest character (my strongest were Squall, Zell, and Quistis), but I enjoyed playing him. I thought he was attractive, not ugly.

Zeromus_X
08-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Okay, guys. There are people on the forum you ignore. Like FE, Michael Belmont, and Viator*. Don't respond to them, and they won't post. They want attention. Replying to them is falling for their trick.

But anyway, yeah, Irvine is great. It's a pity I'm too lazy to go get so much Ammo (especially Pulse Ammo, which is really hard to find besides.)

*Whether he is really Future Esthar or not is up to debate.

Future Esthar
08-12-2006, 09:19 PM
To see that I am right you just need to consider three things:

1-Shumiīs do evolve.In fact I had no reason to disregard gerogero as being a shumi in its intermediate state to become the presidentīs double.It is told that shumis evolve.But suposedly we never saw a non moomba evolution on a explicit way.However this piece of information SHOULD be backed up with an event.Which means that somewhere we testified an implicit non moomba evolution.
I have reasons to believe that it was during the president doubles event starting with the physical similarity between gerogero and a normal Shumi.
2-The likely physical and psychological similarity between Laguna and Martine.The latter looks like an older version of the first.It is said that a shumi evolves to whatever is on their hearts.
3-Biggs and Wedge know Laguna.Even considering their relation was bad at first we can postulate that they worked for Deling at the communications tower but at the same time they work for Laguna enabling his consciousness to get inside a Shumi on the past.
They use the communications tower for that.Laguna knows it was used to possess Sorceress Adel.

G SpOtZ
08-12-2006, 09:32 PM
OMG FE's back?! Dude, I missed you so much. Oh the good times are coming back.

Shumi evolution/possession again! LOL! I love this. I love it I love it I love it.

So tell me, FE, does that mean Shumi eventually evolve into propagators in the future?

Cookie
08-12-2006, 09:32 PM

I must have had my eyes shut when i was playin this game, there's no way that's true.

Future Esthar
08-12-2006, 10:02 PM
OMG FE's back?! Dude, I missed you so much. Oh the good times are coming back.

Shumi evolution/possession again! LOL! I love this. I love it I love it I love it.

So tell me, FE, does that mean Shumi eventually evolve into propagators in the future?

Good to see you are happy.I missed you all also.

Since our characters are Propagators that is unlikely.

It would be a nearly impossible coincidence if a shumi evolves to a monster similar to other that born without being a Shumi.

If the Shumi is possessed he will become similar to the possessor.But the only ones actually possessing people are human.

LunarWeaver
08-12-2006, 10:04 PM
No way I'm reading through all that, so I'm just going to say I do like Irvine, but Square certainly should have expanded more on his character as well as the others besides Squall and Rinoa :up: At first, I didn't like Irvine much simply because he didn't do a whole lot...But like Quistis, I've played through the game so many times I think a connection just eventually happened anyway.

I didn't mind him freaking out and not shooting Edea for lots of reasons...But when everybody got caught he high-tailed it outta there and then was only going to rescue Rinoa and leave everybody else in prison as ordered... That should make him unlikable to me, but I'd do the same thing :)

Fleacy
08-16-2006, 01:23 AM
Okay, guys. There are people on the forum you ignore. Like FE, Michael Belmont, and Viator*. Don't respond to them, and they won't post. They want attention. Replying to them is falling for their trick.

But anyway, yeah, Irvine is great. It's a pity I'm too lazy to go get so much Ammo (especially Pulse Ammo, which is really hard to find besides.)

*Whether he is really Future Esthar or not is up to debate.

I like Michael Belmont. He's hilarious! :) I hope he never stops posting

Oh yeah uhh... Irvine is alright. I didn't really like the game though...

Vallkari
12-21-2006, 06:32 AM
He rocks!