PDA

View Full Version : Godammit Vista aint too bad

bipper
07-29-2006, 05:20 PM
:D So I decided to download the open beta of vista, asI have used bootlegged betas before. This open Beta is actually leaps and bounds better than what I have been using before.

I have a gig of ram a 256meg video card and off a default install, the thing actually runs pretty well though it sucks up resources like mad. The new networking stack is not overly queer as it has been in the past, but it does do a few funny things with authentication and such.

Anyways, I just installed it and played a few actually cool games that come with the install. The boot time is about 2 minutes and after I turned of a couple of effects and the thing runs smooth as hell.

Windows even found my video and installed a decent graphics driver for it (Nvideo Gforce 5500).

I am even making this post with IE 7, which is clunky and crappy yet. Not a huge fan of it - thought it appears they will be pushing the automatic update to ie 7 this fall - in October.

I plan on hooking it up to my Samba server and using part of my drive to constantly loop hard files around the network and propperly stress test the Network. I will try breaking it with my linux box, and will give it the proper red headed step child treatment any testers should :)

I will update the thread as I run tests and try crashing this mother. I am currently installing Wow, and oblivion to see how they run.

All in all, my initial experience is very good. :) Which will shock 99% of you who know me, I am sure :) Don't get me wrong though, it is still windows, and I am confident linux is still lightyears ahead in networking, security, stability, and overall sex appeal. I just want to give Vista a fair chance.

Anyone out there care at all? Or excited about Vista in any sense?

Bipper

Roto13
07-29-2006, 05:24 PM
All in all, my initial experience is very good.
Really? Because it doesn't sound very good.

bipper
07-29-2006, 05:30 PM
All in all, my initial experience is very good.
Really? Because it doesn't sound very good.
Paid endorcement! Bipper sold out! Naw, it's not too bad. The clunkyness was remedied by tweaking a few UI options and such. The networking stack is annoying as hell, but I think that is the only fault thus far - at least the only one that turns me red in the face :mad2:

This is just my 48 hour mark; so there is a lot to be delved into yet.

Old Manus
07-29-2006, 05:54 PM
I thought that on the internet you had to be nonconformist and say that anything popular is teh suhk.

bipper
07-29-2006, 06:00 PM
I thought that on the internet you had to be nonconformist and say that anything popular is teh suhk.

That would be too conformist for the truley non-conformist!

Sylvie
07-29-2006, 06:11 PM
It may not be too bad, but XP Is probably better, right? I don't want a resource whore.

bipper
07-29-2006, 06:18 PM
You can crank it down so it runs a more classic windows enviroment. Like you could to XP. Having all the features tweaked out makes the machine drag on my 5 year old set up, despite the great specs.

The Gadget bar on the right is ok, but its execution in Mac OSX is 100 times better, simply for the fact that you can quick key it.

I found one good thing and one annoyance. Whenever any type of spywayre tries to install, the system throws a flag and notifies you. Much like spybot's teatimer feature does - which is very very nice.

The down side to that is you need to ok it whenever you intentionally install a program (which cannot really be helped). Though, I am installing WoW (which is a 5 cd install) and between every CD it tries to say that the program did not install correctly. It gives me an option to say "Try reinstalling it" or "No you donkey's ass, it installed perfectly"

Its just windows.

Bipper

Moon Rabbits
07-29-2006, 06:21 PM
I was thinking of getting a torrent for a bootlegged version, but thought otherwise because it would kill my computer (which can barely run XP).

But it sounds and looks nice, from what I've seen.

Shoeberto
07-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Well, with the way Microsoft is cracking down on piracy right now with XP, I doubt I'll ever get Vista, because you know that security's going to be tight - tighter than what I'm going to want to deal with, and I'm definitely doubtful I'll ever want to shell out the money for it.

Yamaneko
07-29-2006, 06:50 PM
The only reason to get/pirate Vista is for DirectX 10. Otherwise it's the same useless junk as before. Wow transparencies? I can do so much more with Compiz under Linux. DRM is not my idea of good fun either. Oh, and you know Vista won't be even remotely stable until Service Pack whatever.

Shoeberto
07-29-2006, 07:02 PM
The only reason to get/pirate Vista is for DirectX 10. Otherwise it's the same useless junk as before. Wow transparencies? I can do so much more with Compiz under Linux. DRM is not my idea of good fun either. Oh, and you know Vista won't be even remotely stable until Service Pack whatever.
That's why I'm really hoping that I can get a machine that can handle emulating with Cedega well enough to make games playable, or that ReactOS comes out with a release that's, y'know, usable sometimes soon, which their devs say is probably going to be out at the end of the year. Which, in FOSS developer terms, means "I'm being recklessly optimistic. It'll be out in two years."

Dr Unne
07-29-2006, 07:30 PM
What driver did it install for your video card? One from the CD or one from nvidia's site? If it auto-fetched and installed an nvidia driver straight from nvidia's site, I might be impressed. (I might be impressed, if not for the fact that Gentoo does it and has done it for 5 years.)

How's the command line? First I heard they were making a new shell that's a .NET-style rip-off of bash, and then I heard it wouldn't be ready for Vista, and then I stopped caring. What comes with Vista? CMD.EXE?

Can it run an SSH server out of the box like OS X / Linux? FTP server? IMAP? SMTP?

Can it see any partitions in any format other than NTFS and FAT? reiserfs or ext3 perhaps?

Does it support multiple desktops / workspaces yet? Any system without those is crippled.

I'll never pay for Vista, I know that much. Aside from eye candy, is there any reason anyone should care about it? You haven't really mentioned any. (EDIT: I guess DX10 is kind of a reason if you care about such things.)

bipper
07-29-2006, 08:16 PM
I am getting ready to run to the liquor store for my weekend gig :( I havn't played with much, but from what i see - no multiple desktops (Even though WinXP has powertoys - I thought it would have been a given)

No SSH, no built in FTP that I am aware of yet.

No decent partitioning tool.

And I could not find the command line after 5 minutes so I gave up.

It is truley pathetic compared to linux, that is a given! :) Mac OSx is at least willing to evolve and can do about the same as windows using half the resources.

All and all this is one of the WORST OS I have ever used; but It IS the best windows yet. :D

I always keep a windows box on hand, so I am sure I will buy it when it comes out. Given ulitmate edition is under 400 bucks.

edit: last reboot time was just over six and a half minutes after installing an update. Boo!

Bipper

Laugh at face of Danger
07-29-2006, 10:12 PM
i think that all went straight over my head o_o"

Dr Unne
07-30-2006, 01:15 AM
I don't really want a partitioning tool. I just want Windows to be able to read and write to a non-Windows partition without resorting to 3rd-party drivers.

In XP you can start a DOS window by Start -> Run -> "cmd.exe". I wouldn't be surprised if it changed names again though.

bipper
07-30-2006, 05:15 AM
Yeah, I know how to use xp unne lol :p You have to use the long way to get to the standard Command Console (as it is). There is no start button, it is now the windows logo - which will make help desk a pain in the ass, I am sure. Anyway, you click that > All programs > Accesories > Command prompt. I must say, I love the new startmenu IFRAME approach as apposed to the popup menus - way more class.

Anyways - I am not sure why I told you how to get to it, I don't think it will ever matter for ya! :D Well, I hope not, for your sake.

The thing does not like games at all. Microsoft has shot themselves horribly in the foot here, as that is the only reason many fringe linux users (that I know at least) keep a windows box. But oh well. The widget bar, unless disabled completely tries to take foucs or allows widgets to steal focus at given times. The UI event handler seems to almsot work even when a game is up - so if you hover over a certain widget - bam! your game looses focus :(

I have had to reinstall firefox 3 times -0 I don't blame that on windows though; nor firefox :) But yea, so I must curse eoff with the presence of IE 7. *farts*
Thats it thus far for an update.