PDA

View Full Version : What would you consider the word 'Fanboy' mean?

Carl the Llama
07-30-2006, 01:18 PM
well its all in the title, what do you consider the word 'Fanboy' to mean? also im interested to know what you would consider for someone to be a fanatic about a game/person from a game?

Zeromus_X
07-30-2006, 01:31 PM
A fan of a game, that's what it means. This is why people are stupid to use it in a derogatory manner, they're obviously fanchildren of some game. And here, the majority of people would be a fanchild of at least one of the games featured on the site. It's all rubbish.

Tavrobel
07-30-2006, 02:53 PM
I consider "fanboy" (in a purely negative sense) to mean someone that likes a game blindly, despite its faults, and in the case of FF, hates the other games for little to no reason, or hates them without ever having playing them. They defend their position by little more than "omg, my position is the smartest, and therefore, you suck" (except not at all in good English).

They blatantly disrespect other people's opinions and stances not because they are out to teach someone of the errors of their ways, but because they are afraid of the other person being 100% correct. Their effort to be the same as (or different from others) drives their ignorance and unwillingness to learn or become a better person, and self-perpetuates their unknowingness.

Particularly of the newer games. Of course, some of them can be far more fierce than the others (*cough* FFIX *cough*), while some just plain have no hope of being convinced to listen for even a minute (*cough* FFX-2 *cough* FFVII *cough*).

I could name quite a few fanboys/girls at this site who engage in no effort to learn about the things they criticize. However, some of the old-school FF fans can be almost as bad (yeah, I'm looking at you, FFVI fanboys).

Moon Rabbits
07-30-2006, 03:37 PM
lyk sailor moon roks and all other anime sux.

A fanboy is anyone who is overly fanatic about a game and thinks that it is 100% perfect, usually because there's some sort of 'bad-ass' villain with a big sword that the fanboy wishes he was.

KentaRawr!
07-30-2006, 04:18 PM
A fanboy is someone who likes one thing and one thing alone, and isn't willing to try out other things. They disrespect anyone who likes things that are against what they like, and don't have good grammar.

Sadly though, those don't exist. It's just a word we place onto people who have different opinions than ours.

Madame Adequate
07-30-2006, 04:22 PM
A fanboy is, in my view, someone who likes a particular series/game to the point where they forgive it its faults. Whether they mock people who don't like it, or dislike other games because they're not part of the series, is neither here nor there.

There's also the reverse-fanboy, who has an unreasoning hatred of a series or game (Usually a popular one). For example, me with Megaman, Joel with GTA, lots of people with Halo, and so forth.

Roto13
07-30-2006, 05:06 PM
They don't just forgive the game for it's faults, they pretend they aren't there at all.

licence
07-30-2006, 06:13 PM
A "fanboy" IMO is a person who loves one game or series ( even though that probably can't be said about the FF series) above everything else. They will never acknowledge any faults in the game and crucify other games without ever playing them.

The word to me is the equievalent of the word "mark" in wrestling termonology.

Germ Hamee
07-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Wow, there's a lot of cranky views on fanboys/girls. That's sad, but I guess unavoidable. From what I've seen, there are two types of fanboy/girlism:

~ The annoying kind, that everyone's already covered here. Blind love, pushiness, total lack of intelligence, an unwillingness to try something new. I know a lot of Evanescence fans that would probably gush for hours over a recording of Amy Lee belching. Harry Potter fans also come to mind. I like to label this group the fan fiction crowd.

~ Then there are the people that just have an enthusiastic obsession. This doesn't mean necessarily that they ignore the flaws, or that they can't spell. They just love something, they want to talk about it, and they want to share it with others.

I consider myself to be a fanboy of several different things, but I do try my best to avoid annoying people, and I like to use my brain. I wish more fans would do that.

Lynx
07-30-2006, 09:45 PM
obsessed with one game or something in the game

Hambone
07-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Completely obsessed with a game and they usually think they know everything about it.

Zeromus_X
07-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Sadly though, those don't exist. It's just a word we place onto people who have different opinions than ours.

This man is smart.

JKTrix
07-31-2006, 01:24 PM
A fanboy is anyone who is blindly passionate about a particular thing or hobby--games, tv shows, etc. It's generally applied to things of Japanese origin (manga/anime/games) but it's use seems to be spread out over various thing.
Fanboys have such a strong emotional bond to this particular thing that it's like looking into the sun, if you're looking straight at the sun you can't see anything else.

Mirage
07-31-2006, 01:47 PM
I consider "fanboy" (in a purely negative sense) to mean someone that likes a game blindly, despite its faults, and in the case of FF, hates the other games for little to no reason, or hates them without ever having playing them. They defend their position by little more than "omg, my position is the smartest, and therefore, you suck" (except not at all in good English).

They blatantly disrespect other people's opinions and stances not because they are out to teach someone of the errors of their ways, but because they are afraid of the other person being 100% correct. Their effort to be the same as (or different from others) drives their ignorance and unwillingness to learn or become a better person, and self-perpetuates their unknowingness.

Particularly of the newer games. Of course, some of them can be far more fierce than the others (*cough* FFIX *cough*), while some just plain have no hope of being convinced to listen for even a minute (*cough* FFX-2 *cough* FFVII *cough*).

I could name quite a few fanboys/girls at this site who engage in no effort to learn about the things they criticize. However, some of the old-school FF fans can be almost as bad (yeah, I'm looking at you, FFVI fanboys).
Yay. I didn't have to type all that myself.

Elite Lord Sigma
07-31-2006, 06:15 PM
In the negative sense, a fanboy is considered by me to be someone who blindly likes something, despite its problems, and considers anybody who disagrees with their opinion to be stupid, ignorant, etc.

In the normal sense, a fanboy is considered by me to be simply a fan of something. It's usually quite easy to tell which definition I'm using when I use the word.

JKTrix
07-31-2006, 08:49 PM
No, fanboy generally is a negative term. It can be used in a joking manner, but if you want to use it in a normal context you can just say 'fan'.

Shiny
07-31-2006, 10:11 PM
A fanboy/girl is someone who refuses to see faults in whatever it is that they obsess about. These are the people who are normally seen going "This game is the best game in the world and no other game compares to it." When in truth, they haven't played most games in the world to even be able to make that statement. A fan is different from this, because they not only just like the game they play instead of pretending to worship it they just appreciate the fact that it entertains them and realize there is no such thing as a perfect game.

Zeromus_X
08-01-2006, 02:12 AM
No, fanboy generally is a negative term. It can be used in a joking manner, but if you want to use it in a normal context you can just say 'fan'.

Seriously. We're all 'fanchildren' of one game or another. We have no right to call someone that in a deragatory manner. People complaining about the 'fanboys' that are tagged as being some ignorant person who won't listen to anyone else needs to open their eyes, check around, and when they actually find someone who's really like that, bring them to me. I'll be waiting.

Tavrobel
08-01-2006, 02:51 AM
Seriously. We're all 'fanchildren' of one game or another. We have no right to call someone that in a deragatory manner. People complaining about the 'fanboys' that are tagged as being some ignorant person who won't listen to anyone else needs to open their eyes, check around, and when they actually find someone who's really like that, bring them to me. I'll be waiting.

There's a reason why they have two words for fans of games:

Fanatic
Fanboy/girl

Unlike Fanchildren, Fanatics are not termed by their unwillingness to listen. They are marked by their knowledge or enthusiasm (whether preferrable or otherwise) for the game, and is not used always in a derrogatory manner.

I would bring you many a people who are EXACT replicas of my words and other peoples' words concerning fanboys/girls. However, in doing so, I'd be bringing you my new shiny pink title, as well.

Rengori
08-01-2006, 03:07 AM

Yay. I didn't have to type all that myself.
Yay. Me neither.