PDA

View Full Version : Did PS3 copy Nintendo's WII? I don't think so!

Ashley Schovitz
07-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Before a lot of people said with PS3's new tilt sensing controller that they obviously had copied Nintendo's Wii's tilting sensors also in their controller, but I have proof that Sony been had tilt sensing controllers and they need to give us more than just something they threw away in the past.

Years ago for the PS1 Sony put out the Tiltforce controller which gave titl sensing action in the controller later a better version the Tiltforce2 came out, but equally sold bad and it had vibration too so Sony is lieing that it can't fit vibration along with the tilt sensing.. Here's an web page for proof on this subject http://www.gamevortex.com/hr_pelican_tiltforce2.html
See Sony didn't copy the Wii.

SuperNatural
07-31-2006, 12:35 AM
Who cares? PS3 is overpriced!

DeathKnight
07-31-2006, 12:44 AM
PlayStation3=graphics

Wii=Innovation/fun

simple as that.

Agent Proto
07-31-2006, 12:47 AM
While it may be true that Sony may have not copied Nintendo with the tilt sensored controllers, it is very suspicious that they suddenly added it onto the PS3 controller as soon as the Wiimote was announced.

Ashley Schovitz
07-31-2006, 01:21 AM
no no.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
07-31-2006, 01:22 AM
sony copies everything, what do you expect?

Agent Proto
07-31-2006, 01:33 AM
no no.

Why not? I would find it suspicious that they suddenly added "motion sensors" in their controller shortly after the Wiimote was announced. It may be coincidence, but not everyone would know that Sony had been planning this since the PlayStation days. Perhaps it was successful back then because of the technology...

Um, let me check that site... Pelican? (http://www.gamevortex.com/hr_pelican_tiltforce2.html) Sony didn't put out the Tilt Force 2 as you said. No, that was Pelican's doing. Pelican, a 3rd party video gaming peripheral company, made the TiltForce, not Sony. You're misguiding us. If you're going to say that Sony made the Tiltforce, then you are incorrect.

Elite Lord Sigma
07-31-2006, 02:38 AM
I just find it very suspicious that Sony added the sensor shortly after the Wiimote was unveiled.

Fithos
07-31-2006, 02:39 AM
sony didnt copy nintendo, they put out an inferior brand of motion sensing to give people the illusion that they were as innovative. nintendo has had motion sensing technology for a while, going back to gameboy games with tilt sense.

Lionx
07-31-2006, 02:43 AM
Personally it didnt matter if it was copied, the main thing for this imo is to combat the Wiimote. So they view it as a threat, so copied or not they wanted something to fight against that.

KentaRawr!
07-31-2006, 03:20 AM
I wouldn't say "Copied". It may have been used to combat the Wii, but it most certainly isn't the same tech. But it was kinda odd how they said "Innovation" a lot during the announcement, and how they aren't interested in gimmicks. AND how they pointed out how you don't need to put anything on the T.V. >.>

fantasyjunkie
07-31-2006, 10:11 AM
PlayStation3=graphics

Wii=Innovation/fun

simple as that.
YES!!!!!!!!!! Very, very true, That's why I'm getting a Wii and a ton of games for the price of one ps3 without one game! :nonono:

Agent Proto
07-31-2006, 02:18 PM
Also: http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/EGM_Vol7__1_Jan_1994_SNES_Tilt_.jpg

Roto13
07-31-2006, 04:25 PM
Sony isn't copying the Wii. They're copying Wario Ware Twisted.

MageLuingil
07-31-2006, 04:50 PM
PlayStation3=graphics

Wii=Innovation/fun

simple as that.
So ... PS3 isn't going to be fun?

I don't know if Sony's copying Nintendo, though their timing is certainly convenient. I don't really care one way or another anyway, I doubt this is something I'm going to use in a lot of games anyway.

Ashley Schovitz
07-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Also: http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/EGM_Vol7__1_Jan_1994_SNES_Tilt_.jpg
Oh well I guess I lost then and SNES tilt wasn't made by Nintendo either like that matters.

Cz
07-31-2006, 09:33 PM
It certainly seems that Sony's decision to incorporate motion-sensor technology was a reaction to the acclaim that the Wiimote received in the gaming press. However, I don't think it matters whether Sony "copied" Nintendo or not, provided that they use the technology to produce a quality gaming experience. Complaining about one company stealing ideas from another misses the point.

Roto13
07-31-2006, 09:54 PM
It's not really a threat to Nintendo, anyway. Tilt sensoring is nothing compared to the Wiimote's motion sensory.

Old Manus
07-31-2006, 10:13 PM
OMG. SONY TTLY COPYED NINTENDO COS THEY SUHK I H8 SONY WICH IS Y I HAV A PS1 N 2 AND etc

Nobody cares anymore.

DeathKnight
08-01-2006, 01:23 AM
It's not really a threat to Nintendo, anyway. Tilt sensoring is nothing compared to the Wiimote's motion sensory.

Thread answered, please close this thread.

Griff
08-01-2006, 01:37 AM
It really doesn't matter if it was copied seeing as a Nintendo rep was quoted as saying that it was a huge honour to see that the top company use their idea.

Slicksword45
08-01-2006, 03:34 AM
PlayStation3=graphics

Wii=Innovation/fun

simple as that.

Of course. Cause Mercs. 2: World in flames, FFXIII, MGS4 and God of War 2 are not going to be fun. sure....

anyway, on topic, I also thought it was kinda strange that they were announced around the same time......

Slothy
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
PlayStation3=graphics

Wii=Innovation/fun

simple as that.

Of course. Cause Mercs. 2: World in flames, FFXIII, MGS4 and God of War 2 are not going to be fun. sure....

God of War 2 is for PS2, though you're making a good argument. To add to it, Assassins Creed alone looks like something I'll have more fun with than anything on the Wii so far. You want innovation, go read up on it. Games like that that take the gaming experience in new directions; proof positive that creativity isn't reliant on a new type of peripheral (but for god's sake, don't tell Nintendo that. You'd hurt their feelings).

Anyway, on topic; yeah it was obvious that the motion sensing was a reaction to the Wii, but is that a bad thing? I can see a lot of potential for a controller like that in some genres, so what's it matter who came first, Sony or Nintendo? And of course, in all fairness, Sony did patent the technology years ago, so who's to say they didn't implement it first and Nintendo just beat them to the announcement? I'm not saying that's what happened, since it certainly doesn't seem like it played out that way, but it's always possible.

JKTrix
08-01-2006, 01:22 PM
I think it's easy to see that the PS3 motion control was a knee-jerk reaction to the Wii-mote. Sure, they patented the tech a while ago (thank god it's not gonna be another Rumble fiasco), but the fact that their developers didn't know much about it until shortly before E3 just shows that it's not really a serious part of their whole scheme.
Nintendo is probably used to Sony screwing them over by now, which is why they can laugh it off.

Assassin's Creed is going to be on the 360 as well, by the way.

Anyone who says that games on PS360 will not be fun is talking in full fanboy mode. Of course games on other systems will be fun. Wii's just about a different approach to a familiar experience, and expanding the market with accessible controls.

Slothy
08-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Assassin's Creed is going to be on the 360 as well, by the way.

Anyone who says that games on PS360 will not be fun is talking in full fanboy mode. Of course games on other systems will be fun. Wii's just about a different approach to a familiar experience, and expanding the market with accessible controls.

Whoops, forgot about that, thanks for correcting me. I guess I just slipped up since I don't plan on buying a 360. But my point had more to do with the game than what systems it's on anyway.

I'm not sure how accessible the controls will really be though. I mean it's a completely different control scheme which I've seen some journalists already admit takes time to adjust to. I doubt this would really be any more accessible than say, controlling a game with a mouse. Might even be less so simply because a lot of people have experience with a computer mouse. I think we'll probably still see about the same learning curve as you do with people not used to a regular controller.

JKTrix
08-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Accessible doesn't necessarily translate into 'ease of use'. A steering wheel looks simple enough, but driving a car is a little complicated.

To loosely use a Nintendo quote, 'The average person is more likely to pick up a remote and use it effectively than one of our current 10+ button controllers.' Depending on how it's implemented in games, 'swing the controller like this' would be more intuitive for the average non-gamer than 'press X to do this'. Check out some videos of WarioWare: Smooth Moves (www.gamevideos.com, www.gametrailers.com) for demonstration.

Wii games can have simple, PS3 DualShake level movements (possibly like Monkey Ball), but they can also have even more complex movements since the Wiimote actually does more (like in Metroid Prime 3, using the Grapple Beam or opening locks).
I think the learning curve might actually be harder for *gamers*, who are used to the traditional control and mouse control, whereas (depending on the game) average Joe will simply read the instruction and do it. That's the challenge Nintendo will really face. The controller is probably great for WarioWare and other such games, but when it gets to more traditional games like platformers and shooters (aiming is fine, but how about turning? that looks problematic) that's where my concern lies. But then again, there is the 'classic' controller that should eliminate those kinds of problems. Hopefully it comes with the system.

Fithos
08-01-2006, 09:03 PM
you would turn by aiming off the screen untill you faced the direction you wanted. but from all the e3 reports i have read people say that the wii controller is very easy to use, it hardly took them any time to get used to it.

what style games would the ps3 motion sensor be good for? the only styles i can think of are flight sims and games like amrble maddness.

Slothy
08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Accessible doesn't necessarily translate into 'ease of use'. A steering wheel looks simple enough, but driving a car is a little complicated.

To loosely use a Nintendo quote, 'The average person is more likely to pick up a remote and use it effectively than one of our current 10+ button controllers.' Depending on how it's implemented in games, 'swing the controller like this' would be more intuitive for the average non-gamer than 'press X to do this'. Check out some videos of WarioWare: Smooth Moves (www.gamevideos.com, www.gametrailers.com) for demonstration.

I see where you're coming from, but I think accessibility is in fact connected directly to ease of use. Let's face it, if you aren't used to game controllers, then a game like MGS3 isn't very accessible since the fact that it uses every button on the controller makes it tough for those new to games. Obviously a game like Wario Ware is going to be accessible since it's not going to have complex movements to perform a series of complex actions (at least that's what I'm assuming based on past wario ware games since I can't watch those videos right now). If anything though, I think with a lot of traditional genres, waving the controller around will actually be clumsier and less intuitive than simply pressing a button. Let's face it, waving the controller in some pattern in front of the screen is likely going to be less accurate than simply pressing the A button to attack.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to seeing how all this works by trying it myself eventually. I'm hoping all my fears about the Wii will be laid to rest when I play it myself, and if they are, I'll gladly ask someone to pass the Ketchup and eat my words. As a Nintendo fan since the NES days, I'd love nothing more than to love the Wii, I'm just not going to be sold until I play one myself.

JKTrix
08-02-2006, 12:29 PM
http://cache.kotaku.com/images/2006/05/wii_standard_controller.jpg

Nintendo has its bases covered. I mentioned the 'classic' controller at the end of my previous post, this is it. These plug into the Wiimote and can't be used separately it seems, but you can stick in a GC controller and it'll work.

I wonder what controllers will come with the Wii? I'm thinking 2 Wiimotes, 2 Nunchucks, and maybe 1 Classic Controller. That'd be ideal and definitely worth $250 (considering this is cheap tech anyway).

Back to the topic a bit, the PS3 controller and the Wii controller do have some similar functions, but Wii branches out from there. Out of the box, it already has more 'movement' functionality, then it has the expansion slot for potentially limitless other functions. Nintendo has already revealed the Nunchuck, the Classic Controller, and the Zapper (gun) prototype that all plug into the slot. Then once it gets into the hands of Hori or Logitech or Mad Catz, we'll be seeing more and more stuff.