PDA

View Full Version : E3 cancelled?

SuperNatural
07-31-2006, 12:43 AM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/721/721955p1.html

July 30, 2006 - According to a report at Next-Generation, E3 2006 may have been the last Electronic Entertainment Expo ever, at least as we know it.

While no official announcement from the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) -- the foundation that organizes E3 -- has been made as of yet, the buzz around the videogame industry this weekend is that E3 is no more.

The reasons for the change are mostly economic. As Next-Generation reports, "the larger exhibitors have jointly decided that the costs of the event do not justify the returns, generally measured in media exposure." Larger companies such as Electronic Arts, Activision, and Midway have long organized their own individual gamer days for the press to see and play their upcoming titles. E3 is often much more hectic and overwhelming than individual events, so it looks like the larger publishers are questioning the value of displaying their wares on the jam-packed floors of the Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC).

There are rumblings that the trade show may go on in a different form. The new show would be vastly reduced in scope and scale, and move from its current location at the massive LACC to a smaller venue.

An official press announcement with more details is expected to hit the wire tomorrow. IGN will bring you more on this surprising story as we hear it.

DeathKnight
07-31-2006, 12:48 AM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/721/721955p1.html

July 30, 2006 - According to a report at Next-Generation, E3 2006 may have been the last Electronic Entertainment Expo ever, at least as we know it.

While no official announcement from the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) -- the foundation that organizes E3 -- has been made as of yet, the buzz around the videogame industry this weekend is that E3 is no more.

The reasons for the change are mostly economic. As Next-Generation reports, "the larger exhibitors have jointly decided that the costs of the event do not justify the returns, generally measured in media exposure." Larger companies such as Electronic Arts, Activision, and Midway have long organized their own individual gamer days for the press to see and play their upcoming titles. E3 is often much more hectic and overwhelming than individual events, so it looks like the larger publishers are questioning the value of displaying their wares on the jam-packed floors of the Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC).

There are rumblings that the trade show may go on in a different form. The new show would be vastly reduced in scope and scale, and move from its current location at the massive LACC to a smaller venue.

An official press announcement with more details is expected to hit the wire tomorrow. IGN will bring you more on this surprising story as we hear it.

:eek: ..................................

I hope they bring it to NYC! :mwahaha:

Yamaneko
07-31-2006, 01:15 AM
It's currently being discussed. As has been mentioned this doesn't mean much. Sure if the show gets cancelled altogether, the next couple years will see smaller trade shows for particular platforms/publishers spread throughout the year, but another group will organize another E3-sized show eventually under a different name.

DeathKnight
07-31-2006, 01:20 AM
It's currently being discussed. As has been mentioned this doesn't mean much. Sure if the show gets cancelled altogether, the next couple years will see smaller trade shows for particular platforms/publishers spread throughout the year, but another group will organize another E3-sized show eventually under a different name.

yeah, and I hope Nintendo/SONY/Capcom/and Konami bring their stuff to NYC :plotting:

Maxico
07-31-2006, 01:24 AM
That's inconsiquental. Besides, if you're not press there's a ridiculous entry fee to get into E3, and presumably any equivalent press show.

The real losers here are producer seeking developers.

Malboro_Menace
07-31-2006, 01:32 AM
E3 is so mad though. This will suck to start with but hopefully someone else will start a new convention. Or E3 survives.

Elite Lord Sigma
07-31-2006, 02:40 AM
I highly doubt that E3 will be canceled, as the backlash from the gaming community would be too much. Not to mention since the whole Brawl fiasco, I no longer trust IGN.

KentaRawr!
07-31-2006, 03:17 AM
Here's hoping for the smaller one to be in Ohio. >.>

Roto13
07-31-2006, 04:47 PM
I highly doubt that E3 will be canceled, as the backlash from the gaming community would be too much. Not to mention since the whole Brawl fiasco, I no longer trust IGN.
There was a Brawl fiasco?

Oh, and http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/30/e3-canceled-for-next-year-and-beyond

Shoden
07-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Even if it is done and done, something else similar with a new name and location will pop along soon, I can pretty much see that happening.

Elite Lord Sigma
07-31-2006, 06:18 PM
There was a Brawl fiasco?

Oh, and http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/30/e3-canceled-for-next-year-and-beyond

The Brawl fiasco I'm refering to is this. Apparently, some idiot made up something that Sakurai (the creator of the game) went on a Tokyo news show and announced that Ridley, Wind Waker Link, and Bowser, Jr. would be in Brawl, and that the Ice Climbers, Young Link, and Mr. Game and Watch would be removed. IGN was stupid enough to believe this, and they published it. Thus, this tricked a lot of people. Even after the guy who made it up confessed, people on the NSider Super Smash Bros. board still seem to think it's true. It's one of the most hated threads on their, second only to Sonic threads.

Lionx
08-01-2006, 12:01 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/31/e3-killed-reborn-as-new-e3expo/

*shrugs*

They added Expo to the end of the Electronic Entertainment Expo.....Expo....wewt :3