PDA

View Full Version : Connection Speed and Spyware

Elite Lord Sigma
07-31-2006, 02:46 AM
Well, I've been having this problem for months. I use Ad-Aware SE Personal to clean my computer of spyware regularly. The only problem is, it seems like the stuff I get rid of comes back as soon as I get back on the Internet. Why is this? I don't go on any sites that are prone to viruses or such, so I have no idea why the same crap keeps reappearing.

Also, I use a Linksys Wireless system for my Internet connection. For some reason, when I check connection strength, it always seems to be listed as a speed of 1.0 MBPS with a strength of either Low or Very Low. Yet, my mother's computer, which is a floor below the computer I use and about 35 feet to the left, works flawlessly. The router is also in the same room as my mother's computer. Could somebody tell me why my connection sucks?

rubah
07-31-2006, 03:36 AM
What are your floors made out of? my mom gets a crappy connection in her room, but if she moves five feet to the south, where she's got a straight line, about 40, 50 feet through the house, but with only one wall, rather than about four or five, she gets a much better connection.

use the run command to open msconfig, what all is listed under your startup tab?
(indubitably, munty has a much more refined way of doing this)

Elite Lord Sigma
07-31-2006, 05:43 AM
What are your floors made out of? my mom gets a crappy connection in her room, but if she moves five feet to the south, where she's got a straight line, about 40, 50 feet through the house, but with only one wall, rather than about four or five, she gets a much better connection.

use the run command to open msconfig, what all is listed under your startup tab?
(indubitably, munty has a much more refined way of doing this)
My floors are made out of polished wood. My connection has to go down one floor, and through two walls.

Samuraid
07-31-2006, 07:26 AM
If your house is older, it may have a wire mesh in the walls, which unfortunately degrades wireless signals.

Just an idea.

rubah
07-31-2006, 08:07 AM
I doubt it's *just* polished wood. What do your ceilings look like? :p

Psydekick
07-31-2006, 08:17 AM
Well, I've been having this problem for months. I use Ad-Aware SE Personal to clean my computer of spyware regularly. The only problem is, it seems like the stuff I get rid of comes back as soon as I get back on the Internet. Why is this? I don't go on any sites that are prone to viruses or such, so I have no idea why the same crap keeps reappearing.
Try getting AVG Free, it works incredibly well and can fix viruses at the touch of a button and its free to download, just type it in to google:cool:

Elite Lord Sigma
07-31-2006, 07:04 PM
I doubt it's *just* polished wood. What do your ceilings look like? :p
My ceilings are the same as most ceilings, made out of whatever (plaster?) my walls are made out of. I also am unaware of the age of my house.

starseeker
07-31-2006, 07:25 PM
I have a similar problem in my house. My strategy was to use an extension cable to move the wireless receptor through a door and into the next room, removing one wall. Also the receptor thing is held to the ceiling as well. (the main internet connection is on the 1st floor and the second computer is on the ground floor) It helped. I think I'm using Netgear.

General-Beatrix
07-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Before I had a firewall, I had A LOT, and I mean A LOT of spyware/viruses. After I got Zone Labs Security, everything disappeared, and I never had any trouble from spyware/viruses ever since.;)