PDA

View Full Version : Is Dragon Warrior a "cute" game?

Peter_20
07-31-2006, 06:17 PM
I've been playing Dragon Warrior for some time now, and I always thought it was incredibly cute and stuff.
First of all, we've got all the qutoes: no matter what they say, it always sounds incredibly cute - "I thank thee.", "My dearest Gwaelin! I hate thee, Peter.", "May thy stay be a peaceful one." and "Thou art most welcome in Brecconary."
And so on.
Everything in this game feels very, very, very charming, and I always smile whenever I play it.
Even the monsters in this game look cute as hell - I remember I went "aaaw!" the first time I saw the ghosts and the dressed wolf. :heart:

Gotta play this game again, haha. :)

Dignified Pauper
07-31-2006, 07:57 PM
i think it was just trying to capture medieval era stuff, since that's the setting.

Fithos
07-31-2006, 08:10 PM
no, dragon warrior is one of the hardest games i have vere played. I mean you cant even leave the slime area withought getting into a fight with someone who casts fireball on you and kills you instantly. and it takes so long to level up. its one of my favorite games. but its not cute, anything that hard is not cute.

JKTrix
07-31-2006, 08:35 PM
We're calling it Dragon Quest now--its real name (Starting with Dragon Quest 8).

Certainly, some aspects of the game are 'cute', particularly monsters. I mean, the Slime is an evergreen (everblue?) phenomenon in Japan.
The whole experience is charming, and even though it gets into 'OMG the world is gonna be destroyed' territory now and then, it's generally lighthearted throughout.

Morridor
07-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Dragon Quest is actually a very serious game. The first three (Dragon Quest I - III) is a series and the storylines are quite deep. They tell quite enthralling and emotional stories. If you've played Dragon Quest VIII, it may seem very cute, but it still has very emotional scenes and the character development / character relationships build very well. Dragon Quest is an amazing series and I highly recommend it!

Danny

Nominus Experse
07-31-2006, 09:28 PM
I have only played the first four, and it never came acros my mind that they were cute or childish in some way. The slimes and babbles were somewhat cute looking creatures, but really, what game doesn't have certain monsters that are just plain funny looking - Cactuars, Moogles, and Moombas in Final Fantasy. And really, their language in the first four i played seemed to be aimed at caputring the feeling of a medievel culture.

Peter_20
07-31-2006, 10:33 PM
I never said the games weren't serious, I just thought they had a cute atmosphere. :)

Zeromus_X
08-01-2006, 02:04 AM
Yes, some of Toriyama's monster designs are very cute. He's really great at designing monsters.

I want to hurt the bastard that thought of the 'wall of ice' attack that every major boss since DQIII has that cancels your positive statuses.

DJZen
08-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Parts of the games are cute, but the Axe Knight is anything but. Sometimes he makes me want to tear my hair out.