PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Player You Have Ever Seen

chrisfffan
08-01-2006, 04:22 PM
I was just wondering who’s the best footballer you have ever seen and for what reason? iv been a season ticket holder at Chelsea for 5 years i see all the home games and champions league games i cant wait to see Ballack and Shevchenko play but i don’t think they will ever over take the God of Stanford Bridge, that is Gianfranco Zola he’s the greatest Chelsea player ever his skill and technique are the best iv seen, the only other player iv seen with as much skill is Ronaldinho, and some of the goals he used to score were magic!

ff_sweden
08-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Gunnar Nordahl:p.........but I don´t think you heard that name

Gunnar Nordahl was the most effective striker that ever played for AC Milan. His style of play was based on his enormous strength. Nordahl had another four brothers who also played football in the Swedish first division. He played in the Swedish first division at Degerfors and IFK Norkopping. His career landmarks during his time in the Swedish championship are the four championships titles won during the time he played for Norkopping and the seven goals scored against Landskrona in a championship match. He was first called to the Swedish national team in 1945. In 1948 he became the top scorer of the Olympic Games football tournament with seven goals, where he helped Sweden to win the Olymipic gold medal. It seemed that his value was too big for the Swedish championship and so it was. After he scored in the Swedish first league 149 goals in 172 matches played, he took the way of Italy, signing a contract with AC Milan. This contract is the beggining of a great era for AC Milan because Nordahl will be one of the leading players of 'The Devils' in their way of winning the most of the 50's Scudetto's (1950, 1954, 1956 and 1958) and not only.

He arrived at AC Milan on the 22nd January 1949, and in his first season wearing the red and black strips shirt, he scored an outstanding 16 goals in 15 games. Later, in AC Milan arrived his national side team mates, Gunnar Gren and Nils Liedholm, all off them forming the well known GRE-NO-LI trio.

The transfer to the Italian championship was equal for him with the retirement from the Swedish national team as the Swedish had strict rules against professionalism in sports. In his national team career, he scored 44 goals in 30 matches, on of the highest average ever, almost 1,5 goals a match. He played for AC Milan in eight seasons, in five of them being the Serie A top scorer. He scored for Milan a total of 210 goals. At the end of his career he played in AS Roma for two seasons. For AC Milan, he scored in Serie A a total of 210 goals.

He also contributed in a 7-1 AC Milan win against Juventus Torino. Unfortunately, he died in 1995, and he will remain for ever in history as one of the most powerful and greatest players of the game.

Trophies won:
::4 x Swedish title
::1 x Swedish cup
::2 x Italian title
::2 x Coppa Latina
::1 x Olympic Gold Medal
::4 x Swedish Top Scorer
::1 x Olympic Games Top Scorer
::5 x Italian League Top Scorer

tomamar04
08-01-2006, 05:30 PM
I'd have to say Phil Neville, with Nicky Butt and Luke Chadwick coming second and third

Cuchulainn
08-01-2006, 05:53 PM
George Best
Diego Maradonna
Garrincha
Pele
Franz Beckenbauer
Socrates
Daniel Passarella
Oleg Blokhin
Andrei Shevchenko
Marco van Basten
Claudio Gentile
Johann Cruyff
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Zico
Falcao
Bobby Charlton
George Weah
Jürgen Klinsmann
Lothar Matthäus
Eusebio
Paolo Rossi
Gerd Müller
Matthias Sindelar

I could go on...

DK
08-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Paulo Wanchope

Rocket Edge
08-01-2006, 06:07 PM
Roy Keane :)

chrisfffan
08-01-2006, 06:08 PM
what is the greatest player you have seen play as in on the tv or at a live game i dont want you to name the greatest players ever thats easy they might not be the greatest but to you they are if u get what i saying.

Cuchulainn
08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Roy Keane or Ronaldinho then.

Lost Number
08-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Roy Keane.

Cz
08-01-2006, 08:49 PM
The greatest player I've seen in the flesh would be Zinedine Zidane, although he was nowhere near at his best when I saw him play. The best player I've ever seen on TV would be Johan Cruyff, since he played in the Bergkamp testimonial a couple of weeks back. :p

Loony BoB
08-02-2006, 01:35 PM
I've only seen 'em on TV, and I suppose that Zidane, Keane, Rooney and Gerrard would be the top lot that I've watched.

EDIT: Oh and Giggs.

blue phoenix
08-02-2006, 04:24 PM
damn it, i was going to say Best as well, not only cause his country of origin- but his genuine class.

its hard to say, in truth there is little difference in skill between players, certainly not enough to warrant £50 m. signings of players who are only marginally better than an equivalent at £5m. the majority of performance would be fitness and a real desire to get there to block every shot and win the ball every time.

the above statement sounds silly, but i think its correct

ff_sweden
08-02-2006, 05:08 PM
the best i´ve seen on tv?...Thierry Henry..no doubt

chrisfffan
08-02-2006, 05:13 PM
a lot of people have said Roy Keane he was a great player but I am surprised by your choice when I say the greatest player you have ever watched i mean the most attractive and imaginative player I don’t mean your favourite, I would say Dennis Wise and most people apart from Chelsea fans hate him the same as Roy Keane they are the players that give everything to their club and don’t care about what other people think of them. I thought most Man United fans would say Cantona because of his magic and skill.

Cz
08-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Roy Keane didn't dazzle opponents with trickery, but that wasn't his role. As a ball-winner in the centre of the park, Keane was probably the most important factor in United's dominance of the nineties. The defensive midfield role isn't an exciting, glamorous position like that of a striker or winger, but it's far more demanding, even if the hard work often goes unappreciated. One of the main reasons that United haven't been themselves recently is that Keane's departure has left them without a powerhouse in midfield. The same thing happened to Arsenal when Patrick Vieira left, too. Neither of them astonished the crowd with their flair or creativity, but the job they did made those teams what they were.

Rocket Edge
08-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Roy Keane didn't dazzle opponents with trickery, but that wasn't his role. As a ball-winner in the centre of the park, Keane was probably the most important factor in United's dominance of the nineties. The defensive midfield role isn't an exciting, glamorous position like that of a striker or winger, but it's far more demanding, even if the hard work often goes unappreciated. One of the main reasons that United haven't been themselves recently is that Keane's departure has left them without a powerhouse in midfield. The same thing happened to Arsenal when Patrick Vieira left, too. Neither of them astonished the crowd with their flair or creativity, but the job they did made those teams what they were.
QFT, thats why i picked him.

Cuchulainn
08-02-2006, 09:40 PM
a lot of people have said Roy Keane he was a great player but I am surprised by your choice when I say the greatest player you have ever watched i mean the most attractive and imaginative player I don’t mean your favourite, I would say Dennis Wise and most people apart from Chelsea fans hate him the same as Roy Keane they are the players that give everything to their club and don’t care about what other people think of them. I thought most Man United fans would say Cantona because of his magic and skill.

Oh come on, I've a lot of time for you but to suggest Dennis Wise was as good as Keane is madness.

Keane was the world best midfielder for about 4 years. Initially he was an attacking midfielder & scored a lot from his runs, but he found his true role when Ince left United. His influence, passing, tackling, shooting, defending were all top notch. He (along with Zidane & Gerrard) was the only midfielder I've seen that could single-handedly change the course of a game & therefore history. His display against the 'Old Lady' Juve in 1999 is a prime example of this. If you want to see how one player can take a game by its balls against top class opposition & completely change it watch that Semi Final (indeed watch Zidane for France in 1998 World Cup Semi Final or Gerrard against West Ham in last year's FA Cup). These players are the spine of a team, without which it will never be more than mediocre.

Wise always gave 100% and was a decent player but was never in the class of Gerrard, Keane, Zidane, Socrates, Viera, Cantona etc.

Eric Cantona was a genius who i love, and if Keane didn't exist he would have been my choice, Roy JUST shades him simply because Roy took us to victory in Europe too.

chrisfffan
08-02-2006, 09:40 PM
i think it will be the same at Chelsea when John Terry leaves.

Cookie
08-02-2006, 09:41 PM
the best i´ve seen on tv?...Thierry Henry..no doubt

Definitely

chrisfffan
08-02-2006, 09:45 PM
i think Viera is overated i mean he didnt win much more than Dennis Wise apart from the league but he was in a better team at the time.

Rocket Edge
08-02-2006, 09:49 PM

Oh come on, I've a lot of time for you but to suggest Dennis Wise was as good as Keane is madness.

Keane was the world best midfielder for about 4 years. Initially he was an attacking midfielder & scored a lot from his runs, but he found his true role when Ince left United. His influence, passing, tackling, shooting, defending were all top notch. He (along with Zidane & Gerrard) was the only midfielder I've seen that could single-handedly change the course of a game & therefore history. His display against the 'Old Lady' Juve in 1999 is a prime example of this. If you want to see how one player can take a game by its balls against top class opposition & completely change it watch that Semi Final (indeed watch Zidane for France in 1998 World Cup Semi Final or Gerrard against West Ham in last year's FA Cup). These players are the spine of a team, without which it will never be more than mediocre.

Wise always gave 100% and was a decent player but was never in the class of Gerrard, Keane, Zidane, Socrates, Viera, Cantona etc.

Eric Cantona was a genius who i love, and if Keane didn't exist he would have been my choice, Roy JUST shades him simply because Roy took us to victory in Europe too.
QFT

chrisfffan
08-02-2006, 09:55 PM
I wasn’t saying Dennis was as good as Keane I was comparing the 2 because they always got stuck in and gave 100 percent.

Psychotic
08-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Ian Rush.

The Hubsta
08-03-2006, 01:36 AM
Has to be Zidane.

Madame Adequate
08-03-2006, 04:06 AM
Torry Holt.

chrisfffan
08-03-2006, 06:17 PM

On your list of Gerrard, Zidane and Keane Frank Lampard should be there he has been the best midfielder in the Premiership in the larst 3 years.

And Dennis Wise was our Roy Keane the captain the leader Mr Chelsea!
The reason Man U havent been as good for the larst couple of seasons is because they dont have that kind of player any more we have Terry but who do u have thats a born Leader!