PDA

View Full Version : Screen Recording Software

atlanteay
08-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know a good free program for recording particularly videos and audios currently playing on my screen? With no quality loss and plays at full speed so there won't be pauses?

also, what is a standard rate for recording videos? ## per 1 second. What's the best for the ##?

help would be appreciated.

Necronopticous
08-01-2006, 07:00 PM
I once made an extensive search for a good free or open-source program for this and I had no luck.

I settled on Camtasia Studio 3, it's great software, but it isn't free. Also, you'll most likely want to have video editing software along with whatever program you use, since every capture program that I know of for this sort of thing produces either uncompressed or badly compressed videos that eat up way more space than they should. It is always better to compress and encode them with a good video codec, such as Divx or Xvid.

Shoeberto
08-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Fraps is also something that isn't free but is highly used by people who make gaming videos. I have no personal experience but it's supposed to be really good.

Yamaneko
08-01-2006, 07:18 PM
It's free as long as you don't mind the fraps.com overlay on all your videos.

atlanteay
08-01-2006, 07:42 PM
depends on where the watermark is. If it's on the edge, then it's fine. But if it's like right in the middle across the whole video, then no.

Yamaneko
08-01-2006, 07:48 PM
It's at the very top in the middle.

atlanteay
08-01-2006, 08:29 PM
great...

hmm.. i know this is not what the topic asked for but it can help solve my problem. how do i download a flash video? Like it's a video on a flash site so i can't save it. Is there a way i can get that video?

Shoeberto
08-01-2006, 09:49 PM
It's easy if you use Firefox.

Just right-click on the page you want the flash video off of and go to Page Info, then click the Media tab. Scroll through until you find what you want (for a flash video it'll be a .swf file) and hit the Save As.. button below.

IE doesn't have this functionality, though, as far as I'm aware.

atlanteay
08-02-2006, 02:52 AM
omg thank you!!! i recently got firefox and have not the slightest idea on all of its great functions!! i'll test it out to see if it works.

Roto13
08-02-2006, 03:07 AM
There's a Firefox plugin called "Video Downloader" that can downlaod streaming videos, like from Youtube.

Samuraid
08-02-2006, 03:08 AM
Frames often run between 23.976 and 30 per second for most videos.

I also recommend FRAPS, but an older version that doesn't have watermarks or any cost. :D