PDA

View Full Version : Society

DeathKnight
08-02-2006, 03:03 AM
has it gone up? or has it gone BELOW rock bottom?

PS: PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE take out the economical factor out of it. I don't care if the country is richer now so society's better crap :irked: *swings fake sword* don't you try it!

Discuss!

Raistlin
08-02-2006, 03:19 AM
Ok, so you're asking us whether we think society's better or not, and then you say we can't use our own standards, we have to <i>conform</i> to yours.

Cookie
08-02-2006, 03:21 AM
:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: I live in Manchester in England and society is bad, Scallies everywhere!!!!!:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Zeromus_X
08-02-2006, 03:22 AM
Humans always sucked, and still do. Now they're just smarter than they were before.

Of course, 'humans' isn't necessarily the same as 'society', at least I don't think that's what you mean...

Arrianna
08-02-2006, 03:45 AM
Both. I think the dichotomy is becoming greater every year. Each extreme becoming more so and less and less people left on the fence.

Rengori
08-02-2006, 04:10 AM
I think most of society's doing great.

Sylvie
08-02-2006, 04:14 AM
Society is the suck.

Mr. Graves
08-02-2006, 04:15 AM
It could be better.

Yoshix
08-02-2006, 09:15 PM
People have too many primal qualities for it to be satisfying to everyone
I mean theres NEVER been a perfect society

Behold the Void
08-02-2006, 09:20 PM
People aren't bound to the land in feudal pseudo-slavery and forced to work hard every day of their lives to eke out a miserable existance, freedoms such as speech and religion are becoming far more the standard worldwide, capitalist systems are allowing for people to improve their own social standing in life, the rights to vote are giving people a greater say in the government, medical technology is making it so we can live longer and have a better quality of life.

I could go on.

I think we've come a long way. Sure, it could be better, but the way I see it society's been improving fairly consistently.

Jojee
08-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Society's wonderful now that I'm a part of it. :)

Venom
08-02-2006, 11:04 PM
I dont contribute to it, so I wouldnt know.

Tavrobel
08-02-2006, 11:09 PM
Society and society alone? Getting worse. But I don't care because it doesn't affect me, and no one else cares. Let the idiots rot in their cesspool of ignorance and lies.

Madame Adequate
08-03-2006, 04:13 AM
Well we do actually need a working definition of society for this.

But basically, I'm going to point to BtV's post and say "QFT". Things are improving, and are doing so at an ever-increasing rate.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 03:13 AM

But basically, I'm going to point to BtV's post and say "QFT". Things are improving, and are doing so at an ever-increasing rate.

things are improving:

-Wars?
-Terrorism?
-Racism
-Killing Earth (factories, pollution, etc.)
-Job exploitation**************************************************************************************** ************************************************************************************************
-prejudism

So things are better? interesting

Rye
08-04-2006, 03:14 AM

things are improving:

-Wars?
-Terrorism?
-Racism
-Job exploitation**************************************************************************************** ************************************************************************************************
-prejudism

Yeah. The things you listed are so 21st century. :rolleyes2

Raistlin
08-04-2006, 03:17 AM
things are improving:

-Wars?
-Terrorism?
-Racism
-prejudism

DK, your ignorance and <i>prejudice</i> (ironically the same thing you accuse of other people) know no bounds.

Wars? Since when has this not been a problem in known history?

Terrorism? This one is up, but it's mostly just now all over the media. There were terrorists before.

Racism has also always been a problem. If anything, it's gotten BETTER in the past couple of generations. And in the US especially since the Civil War.

"Killing Earth (factories, pollution, etc.)" A planet can't be killed. You may be talking about killing animals, but you do that all of the time yourself.

"Job exploitation." Exploitation is one of those words that I call "nonsense words."

"prejudism." That doesn't even warrant a response.

Del Murder
08-04-2006, 03:21 AM
Economics and the state of society are not separable.

I think things are good.

daggertrepe
08-04-2006, 03:22 AM
Janice Dickinson= I love society :p

Mr. Bush= I don't love society :(

Roto13
08-04-2006, 03:26 AM
Society is getting better all the time. Stop whining.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 03:38 AM

things are improving:

-Wars?
-Terrorism?
-Racism
-prejudism

Yeah. The things you listed are so 21st century. :rolleyes2

Well, if your expections are low, that's not my problem.

I expect 21st century humans to have DELETED racism, prejudism, terrorism, and job exploitation(specially that one).

Del Murder
08-04-2006, 03:40 AM
What the hell is job exploitation?

Christmas
08-04-2006, 03:40 AM
Society is like the stock market

Miriel
08-04-2006, 03:41 AM

You know, like when people who work at McDonalds are forced to eat the food too. That's exploitation, man. By THE MAN.

Raistlin
08-04-2006, 03:42 AM
:love: :love: :love: :love: I've been asking that question for years.

Well, if your expections are low, that's not my problem.

I expect 21st century humans to have DELETED racism, prejudism, terrorism, and job exploitation(specially that one).
... deleted? xDDDD

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 03:43 AM
things are improving:

-Wars?
-Terrorism?
-Racism
-prejudism

DK, your ignorance and <i>prejudice</i> (ironically the same thing you accuse of other people) know no bounds.

Wars? Since when has this not been a problem in known history?

Terrorism? This one is up, but it's mostly just now all over the media. There were terrorists before.

Racism has also always been a problem. If anything, it's gotten BETTER in the past couple of generations. And in the US especially since the Civil War.

"Killing Earth (factories, pollution, etc.)" A planet can't be killed. You may be talking about killing animals, but you do that all of the time yourself.

"Job exploitation." Exploitation is one of those words that I call "nonsense words."

"prejudism." That doesn't even warrant a response.

So you're labeling me? funny, if there's anyone ignorant around here is yourself.

None of those things should be around in the 21st century. At least not thriving.

look it up.

Roto13
08-04-2006, 03:44 AM
Yes, well, by 2000 I expected hoverbikes and moving sidewalks everywhere, but I guess I had to get something reasonable.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 03:46 AM
Yes, well, by 2000 I expected hoverbikes and moving sidewalks everywhere, but I guess I had to get something reasonable.

you didn't expect any of that.

Raistlin
08-04-2006, 03:46 AM
So you're labeling me? funny, if there's anyone ignorant around here is yourself.

None of those things should be around in the 21st century. At least not thriving.
Why? And this very thread shows your ignorance of history, as most of the things you pointed out are BETTER now than before.

EDIT: And job exploitation is a nonsense word with no meaning. It's a standardless word - there is no objective definition of exploitation, it can mean whatever you want.

Roto13
08-04-2006, 03:47 AM

you didn't expect any of that.
Prove it.

look it up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=Job+exploitation&go=Go

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/job%20exploitation

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 03:49 AM

Why? And this very thread shows your ignorance of history, as most of the things you pointed out are BETTER now than before.

Are you going back to year 1?

I'm not:rolleyes2

ignorance of history?

So I've gotten As in college history classes and I'm ignorant? interesting.

It's like "whites" when whites kept segregations for over 80 years. Just because it's been around for so long doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

And you'll be better off labeling yourself, :ty:

Del Murder
08-04-2006, 03:52 AM
You aren't making much sense. Anyway, I don't see why McDonalds workers eating the food there is much of a problem. I got a store discount when I worked at Longs and I shopped there all the time.

PS: You can get A's and still be ignorant. I've done it.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 03:54 AM
You aren't making much sense. Anyway, I don't see why McDonalds workers eating the food there is much of a problem. I got a store discount when I worked at Longs and I shopped there all the time.

neither are you.

-And I wasn't the one who mentioned McDonalds :ty:

Raistlin
08-04-2006, 03:55 AM

I'm not

ignorance of history?

Then why do you insist that wars, racism, and (my personal favorite) "prejudism" are worse now?

It's like "whites" when whites kept segregations for over 80 years. Just because it's been around for so long doesn't mean it has to stay that way.
... what does that have to do with anything?

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 03:59 AM

I'm not

ignorance of history?

Then why do you insist that wars, racism, and (my personal favorite) "prejudism" are worse now?

... what does that have to do with anything?

It's funny, when people have to think 'bout something that goes against what they believe they stop thinking.

Think 'bout it.

Weren't you the one saying "all of those things have been here for a log time(in history)"

Raistlin
08-04-2006, 04:02 AM
It's funny, when people have to think 'bout something that goes against what they believe they stop thinking.

Think 'bout it.

Weren't you the one saying "all of those things have been here for a log time(in history)"
Yes, and I said it's gotten BETTER. Which is something you've ignored because, using your own words (though more coherently) you apparently stop thinking when faced with something you don't agree with.

Del Murder
08-04-2006, 04:03 AM
Oh. He's saying that because we were able to end segregation we should be able to end all the other stuff on his list too. As in, just because it lasted a long time doesn't mean it should always be there.

I only went with the McDonalds tangent because it was the only explanation for job exploitation I got in this thread.

Now that I think about it, this is a pretty good e-battle going on here. Both of you guys are equally stubborn, and equally sure that your form of 'logic' is the only correct way to think.

Miriel
08-04-2006, 04:06 AM
And it was an explaination given by someone who doesn't even know what this thread is about. xD

Decessus
08-04-2006, 04:07 AM

neither are you.

-And I wasn't the one who mentioned McDonalds :ty:
I don't know, I think Del Murder is being very clear... :ty:
As for society, many variables must be taken in light in order to determine how good a society is. One of the biggest is opinion and opinion changes person to person.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 04:09 AM
Oh. He's saying that because we were able to end segregation we should be able to end all the other stuff on his list too. As in, just because it lasted a long time doesn't mean it should always be there.

I only went with the McDonalds tangent because it was the only explanation for job exploitation I got in this thread.

Now that I think about it, this is a pretty good e-battle going on here. Both of you guys are equally stubborn, and equally sure that your form of 'logic' is the only correct way to think.

I never said I wanted to end EVERYTHING on my list. Hell at least with one I'll be happy. Most of the things on my list are still or worse than they were 20 years ago.

And when I say end it, I mean (not completely ending it, that's impossible) but at least 80%.

Del Murder
08-04-2006, 04:13 AM
80%? You won't accept 60%? Cause that's pretty good.

Rengori
08-04-2006, 04:14 AM
I never said I wanted to end EVERYTHING on my list. Hell at least with one I'll be happy. Most of the things on my list are still or worse than they were 20 years ago.

And when I say end it, I mean (not completely ending it, that's impossible) but at least 80%.Wars will be around forever. When you have peace, that only gives times for tensions to rise and start war again.

Terrorism is pretty old too.

Racism can be done away with, but don't expect it to change much.

I don't understand job exploitation, and "precijudism" (prejudice!) is pretty much the same as racism.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 04:14 AM

Think 'bout it.

Yes, and I said it's gotten BETTER. Which is something you've ignored because, using your own words (though more coherently) you apparently stop thinking when faced with something you don't agree with.

How low, can't you find a better way to defend yourself than to criticize the way I go 'bout my setences. :irked:

Not only that, then you have to go use my lines to TRY to make your point,

Roto13
08-04-2006, 04:15 AM

*slap*

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 04:15 AM

*slap*

:twak:

Del Murder
08-04-2006, 04:16 AM
How low, can't you find a better way to defend yourself than to criticize the way I go 'bout my setences. :irked:

Raistlin is a little snoot, yes, but you could stand to take more time to spell correctly and use more proper sentence structure. You'll find that people will take your arguments a lot more seriously then.

Rengori

*slap*

How mature this is turning out.

Roto13

*slap*

Well, it's just not true. Stop saying it. Just... stop. You're not helping yourself look good here.

Tavrobel
08-04-2006, 04:22 AM

*slap*

Indeed. Deathknight uses it often when threatened. Even if the other person is right (or supported by facts that are actual facts, not facts that are derived based on an opinion or preference, and turned into a fact).

I just gotta say that this argument is one of the best ones I've ever seen.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 04:22 AM

Raistlin is a little snoot, yes, but you could stand to take more time to spell correctly and use more proper sentence structure. You'll find that people will take your arguments a lot more seriously then.

yeah, but this is the internet. I'm ok.

Rengori
08-04-2006, 04:23 AM

*slap*

Indeed. Deathknight uses it often when threatened. Even if the other person is right (or supported by facts that are actual facts, not facts that are derived based on an opinion or preference, and turned into a fact).

I just gotta say that this argument is one of the best ones I've ever seen.
Yeah, I'm amused.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 04:25 AM

*slap*

Well, it's just not true. Stop saying it. Just... stop. You're not helping yourself look good here.

Understand ONE thing, I said "STILL THE SAME" OR "WORSE" I'm not REALLY supporting the "worse" part that much, I'm supporting the "still the same" (or ALMOST the same) part more. So PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE read my posts carefully.

Rengori
08-04-2006, 04:27 AM
It's harder to read your post carefully when you talk vaguely, use little to no adjectives, and use bad sentance structure.

Del Murder
08-04-2006, 04:29 AM
Let's stop talking about sentence structure and just talk about the topic, which is our crumbling society. Thank you.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 04:30 AM
I like talking vaguely, it makes you use your intellectuality(if you have any)more.

But really, I don't know what the heck you're talking 'bout. NO ONE has ever questioned the way I write in a forum.

Tavrobel
08-04-2006, 04:31 AM
It's harder to read your post carefully when you make rebuttals that in no way, shape, or form, support your argument, attempt to disprove others' arguments, and use smilies that just make you seem incredibly immature.

I can't even respond properly because you haven't been making sense for most of the page, and apparently think that your methodology is the only proper methodology. Vagueness does not force one to use their intellegence. It is simply the output of a lack of effort.

Roto13
08-04-2006, 04:32 AM

*slap*

Understand ONE thing, I said "STILL THE SAME" OR "WORSE" I'm not REALLY supporting the "worse" part that much, I'm supporting the "still the same" (or ALMOST the same) part more.
You saying that over and over and over doesn't make it true.

Rengori
08-04-2006, 04:34 AM
On topic, I think society's doing fine. Hell of a lot better than it was 100 years ago.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 04:34 AM

*slap*

Understand ONE thing, I said "STILL THE SAME" OR "WORSE" I'm not REALLY supporting the "worse" part that much, I'm supporting the "still the same" (or ALMOST the same) part more.

Did I say it was true? :nonono:

I'm just supporting my points.

Roto13
08-04-2006, 04:35 AM

*slap*

Did I say it was true? :nonono:
Uhm, by saying it, you're implying that you believe it to be true. Duh.

Miriel
08-04-2006, 04:36 AM
DeathKnight/roto13-ness, please cut it out with the quote pyramids.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 04:38 AM
It's harder to read your post carefully when you make rebuttals that in no way, shape, or form, support your argument, attempt to disprove others' arguments, and use smilies that just make you seem incredibly immature.

I can't even respond properly because you haven't been making sense for most of the page, and apparently think that your methodology is the only proper methodology. Vagueness does not force one to use their intellegence. It is simply the output of a lack of effort.

Damn, so using smilies is immature? man I really gotta leave this forum then.

Decessus
08-04-2006, 04:40 AM
Please do.

fallen_angel9000
08-04-2006, 04:42 AM
i think most societies are getting worse:( . the only reason for that is cause of the way the citizens run the place. with all the wars going on, eventually we'll end up blowing ourselves up:O_O: :kaoupset:

Tavrobel
08-04-2006, 04:42 AM

Damn, so using smilies is immature? man I really gotta leave this forum then.

Using smilies in general isn't immature, it's the ones that you use. Thanks for twisting my words.

But since you are leaving: Bye! I'LL MISS YOU!

Miriel
08-04-2006, 04:46 AM
Good grief, people. Everyone stop antagonizing each other, ok? Ok.

This thread is going nowhere.