PDA

View Full Version : Ticked off

Dignified Pauper
08-02-2006, 10:57 PM
So my computer fried.

I asked them to grab the Mike's Files folder from my desktop and keep it. They said they did, however, they grabbed a mike's files from my program files and NOT my desktop. I clearly said desktop, they clearly acknowledged, okay, desktop. And they pulled the wrong one.

Now I have lost many priceless pictures, old poetry that had not been transferred to my laptop, all my ROMs and Emulators, my precious pr0n, all my music, my FFVII Advent Children, countless sig and avatar stuff, EoFF A Tragedy and RMXP...

So, has anyone ever repaired your computer only to have screwed it up to your dismay?

Old Manus
08-02-2006, 11:00 PM
The closest I've come to it is when my PS2 memory card got lost and I never found it.

Breine
08-02-2006, 11:02 PM
I feel sorry for you - it must be really annoying losing all that stuff just because some jerk messed up.

Anyway, no my computer has never needed a repair, but I've tried to lose a lot of stuff just because my computer messed up on its own at some point. Man I was pissed, but fortunately my computer didn't go completely crazy and I was able to fix the problem myself.

-N-
08-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Man that sucks. I never send in my computer for repairs and always fix it myself for precisely reasons like those. I am super-afraid of losing personal files and don't back it up regularly enough.

AdVenT
08-02-2006, 11:04 PM
I get ticked off at my computer everyday! There are so many things that go wrong with it but after hearin that story I don't think I'll chance bringin it in to get fixed.

Shiny
08-02-2006, 11:07 PM
I feel very sorry for you, but technology is not reliable. That's why I always save my favorite and/or most important files on disks.

Sylvie
08-02-2006, 11:11 PM
My old computer, which was pretty good. It had like 1 or 2 GB of RAM, huge hardrive space, and it was fast. Only problem is, the guy who built it smurfed it up. It was locking up and getting blue screens, so my dad sent it back to get it fixed. Got it back and it was even more messed up.

Shoeberto
08-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Sorry to hear about that. That's something I hate about people wanting me to fix their computers - there's a good chance I could end up making it worse.

I've had my computer destroyed, but it was my own fault, so I have no one else to blame.

Tavrobel
08-02-2006, 11:13 PM
A year ago, my computer got fried because of a thunderstorm, and my surge protector was acting up on me. As a result, I lost EVERYTHING on the drive (among them being my FFIIj and FFV emulator files). I then sold it to my cousin for $22, because he owed me money in that amount. I also gave him my sister's College Diploma for free.

However, as far as repairing goes, I usually never had to fix my computer, because I didn't do anything severe enough to it to make it crash or warrant repair. I figure if the computer I lost hadn't been fried beyond all hope, I would've fixed it myself.

Fonzie
08-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Man that sucks bad. My sisters download everything they can find so we get viruses :(

Madonna
08-02-2006, 11:15 PM
External harddrive, next time.

I do not let anyone but me twiddle with my computer's settings or the like. That way, when it breaks, I know it was me.

Dignified Pauper
08-02-2006, 11:27 PM
well, they fixed my comp, and it runs fine, it's just that they took the wrong file and backed it up.

further, my sound is kaput and so therefor, i have to go back tomorrow, where i will kindly make them feel like idiots.

bipper
08-04-2006, 04:18 PM
i have to go back tomorrow, where i will kindly make them feel like idiots.

I thought you only did that to people on Eoff :cry:

Dignified Pauper
08-04-2006, 09:21 PM
i have to go back tomorrow, where i will kindly make them feel like idiots.

I thought you only did that to people on Eoff :cry:

little did you know that my online and offline personas are closely related.

Old Manus
08-04-2006, 09:27 PM
little did you know that my online and offline personas are closely related.In everything? Or just some things? :love:

Dignified Pauper
08-04-2006, 09:52 PM
the answer to the question you are indirectly asking is yes.

Dreddz
08-04-2006, 10:13 PM
To solve all computer problems, buy a mac...

Roto13
08-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Mac's aren't immune to everything.

Sylvie
08-04-2006, 10:42 PM
But they kick PC's right in the ass at almost everything.

Iceglow
08-04-2006, 10:46 PM
See this is why I do my own repairs then if I feth up I'm the one I can get mad at about it :)

I've fixed my own PS2 and past PCs so many times now it's funny when you think about it. I had one computer that I saved from my mates bin as it was so screwed up and for about 5 years after I repaired it, it ran fine in the end I was being called the technomancer where I worked because I could ressurect the "dead computers" PS2s are easy to fix once you have done a few most of the time it's merely a matter of cleaning the laser itself (don't use the discs they suck, open her up if you're confident enough and use an air can to spray it clean. Warning; doing so will void the warranty with sony so do so at your own risk if you know someone with a trashed ps2 I suggest practicing but then with about 7 different series of the ps2 it gets hard to work on all of them)

Don't go to pc world ever though with a problem because their standard fix proceedure is often to format and re-install even if the problem isn't the hard drive, they charge £25 for looking at it and diagnosing it then the cost of repairs (new copy of xp home = £300) and once that doesn't work they'll charge you another £25 + repairs to fix the real problem

bipper
08-05-2006, 02:00 AM

Macs actually suffer from some horrible security flaws. No one really abuses them though, because its not worth learning just to piss off 1% of the world.

One such flaw is a driver of sorts (my buddy from work informed me of this) has a major design flaw which can compromise the system and allow a remote logon to root. Now that sucks. Especially since mac is a propiatary hardware/software set up, such problems are in a way, not supposed to happen. :D

And a Mac does not anihalate PC archetecture anymore, it is quite the other way around. Unless if you are talking of Window$ VS Mac OS X, then you would be quite correct.

Bipper

Sylvie
08-05-2006, 02:12 AM
The only reason I am not getting a Mac is the lack of Game support, and the fact that Windows programs aren't fully supported. I am going to wait till they run better.

Dreddz
08-05-2006, 02:32 AM
The only reason I am not getting a Mac is the lack of Game support, and the fact that Windows programs aren't fully supported. I am going to wait till they run better.
Macs can pretty much do everything a PC can do, gaming being the exception...

Unless if you are talking of Window$ VS Mac OS X, then you would be quite correct.

Bipper
I am talking about Mac OS X, I own a G5 and and a G4 in my room, I only go on my Laptop to play games. My Mac is more efficient most of the time...

Odaisé Gaelach
08-05-2006, 02:36 AM
See this is why I do my own repairs then if I feth up I'm the one I can get mad at about it :)

Same here. And - believe it or not - I make backups too! :p

Roto13
08-05-2006, 03:49 AM
I backup things all of the time, if only so I can delete it from my hard drive and save space. I don't really have anything that I absolutely need. Perhaps I should make hard copies of my notes when I start school again.