PDA

View Full Version : Kuja or Kerrigan, for their role, who was the better villian?

Tainted Angel
08-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Don't know where to post this, if misplaces, please ship to proper forum. I'm mostly asking because I think Kuja was a wonderful villian in hi sown right and genre. Where as Kerrigan is just the epitome of cool.

Which villian was better in their role? Kuja or Kerrigan?

Kuja (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuja) is a parttime arms dealer, but is also gathering power trying to advoid his own obsolence. To do that he constantly seeks power enough for his own freedom in the scheme of things. And no price is too high in the blood of others.

Kerrigan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Kerrigan#Infested_Kerrigan) seeked revenge in direct response to betrayal. Upon the alter of revenge she poured the blood of her enemies; the blade of the swarms her insturment as she revenged. From almost nothing (Episode VI; 6 Special Mutalisks, and more of her zerglings) she made a new Swarm.

Which you you think, in their role, was a better villian? Feel free to suggest other villians from all of gamedom. (And give a paragraph long description of their goals/actions.)

PS: Can a mod put 'n?' at the end of my poll question? Thanks

Tavrobel
08-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Kerrigan is not the epitome of cool. Someone clearly hasn't played Warcraft III (Illidan and Grom are infinitely better). As far as plot goes, nearly all of Blizzard's villians are better than FF villians (despite the underdevelopment of the plot), and this is no exception.

Yes, Kuja destroyed Terra. He almost destroyed the Crystal, beckoning Necron to wipe humanity off the face of the earth (well, technically Gaia). He convinced a relatively peaceful queen to embrace her destructive side and bring war and chaos to the nations of the world.

Unfortunately, he loses to a bunch of heroes and a paranormal threat from the otherside of creation.

However, Kerrigan has cooler abilities (Lockdown > All magic), is apparently more important AI wise than Jim Raynor, became an evil bitch because someone betrayed her, not because of any inherent jealousy, is an assassin (and a damn good one, because the scariest assassins are always female), destroyed the UED fleet starting from nothing other than an SCV with a Psi Emitter and 2 Drones, convinced Jim Raynor, Fenix, and her former boss, Arcturus Mengsk to help her rebuild her empire, and subsequently destroyed them. She strips a strong Protoss of his pride (Zeratul), forcing him to kill his respected female elder (who Kerrigan also corrupted), destroyed Jim Raynor's psyche, got the Protoss on Shakuras to kill all of the renegade Zerg on that planet (who she would likely have had to oppose even after her conquest of the Swarm) and convinced a Cerebrate to aid her (possibly the one who aided her incubation).

So not only does she fight in battle and WIN, but she also takes the time to hide in the shadows, directing others. She wins ten times more.

You can go ahead and take your Magic and your Daggers and your Thieves and knights in armor. Hell, I'll even let you have Lightning from FFXIII, or Kefka. One Hunter Killer or Torrasque is all I need. But if you get Kefka, I get Kukulza.

Peegee
08-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Kuja is the gnome bad guy from FF9? And you dare compare to Kerrigan, Queen of Blades?

/cluehammer

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Kerrigan's definitely the better one in these choices. Tavrobel said all I would have had to say.

Tainted Angel
08-03-2006, 09:47 PM
If this is 'no match'; throw in whomever you want into the mix from FF villians. (I did intend that.)

Tavrobel
08-03-2006, 10:26 PM
FF Villians

Chaos/Garland, Tiamat, Kary, Lich, Kraken
Dark Knight, Borgan, Emperor
Jinn, Hyne, Zande, Dark Cloud
Zemus/Zeromus, Golbez, Rubicante, Valvalis, Cagnazzo, Milon
Kain (technically)
X-Death, Gilgamesh, Necrophobia
Kefka, Gesthal, Ultros, Poltergeist, Doom, The Goddess
Leo (technically)
Sephiroth, Jenova, President Shinra, Rufus Shinra, Heidegger, Scarlett
Reno, Rude, Elena, Tseng, Kadaj, Yazoo, Loz
Ultimecia, Seifer, Griever
Kuja, Garland, Brahne, Necron
Beatrix (technically)
Seymour, Sin, Yu Yevon, Shuyin

Blizzard Enemies
(SC only)
Sarah Kerrigan {Queen of Blades}
The Overmind
The Cerebrates {Daggoth, Zasz, Araq}
Arcturus Mengsk
Aldaris of the Conclave

(WC III alone)
Illidan Stormrage, Grom Hellscream
The Sea Witch, Aszhara {Queen of the Quel'Dorei}
King Arthas Menelthil, The Lich King
Kel'Thuzad of Dalaran (Anub'Arak isn't a villian, as he was raised against his will)
Archimonde the Defiler, Kil'Jaeden the Deceiver
Mannoroth the Pit Lord, Grand Marshall Garithos
Varimathras, Balnazzar, Detheroc
Sylvanas Windrunner, Grand Admiral Daelin Proudmoore of Kul Tiras

(WCI and WCII, well, those that I can remember)
Gul'dan {Apprentice of Ner'zhul}
Orgrim Doomhammer
Ner'zhul (soon to be Lich King)
Krillogg Deadeye, Zul'jin
Alexstraza of the Red Dragonflight, Deathwing of the Black Dragonflight

As you can see, the Blizzard List is far shorter, and even with HALF of them, they would obliterate ALL of the FF villians, who mostly in my opinion, are overwrought in an attempt to get you to somehow be able to justify their actions, adding complexity to their character, and increasing your ability to interpret situations rationally.

But Blizzard doesn't need complexity. Blizzard just needs cool, and it WORKS.
Not only that, they have FULL NAMES and/or Proper Titles. Endless pwnage.
Illidan and Grom FTW. It really is no match.

Tainted Angel
08-04-2006, 05:14 AM
I'm trying to say.. I'm suprised nobody thinks Kuja is not as 'villianout' as Kerrigan. On a FF forum.....

Would whomever is voting for Kuja please speak up now? *Looks at six votes for Kuja*

starseeker
08-04-2006, 10:00 AM
When you said Kerrigan I thought of the character from legendaryfrog cartoons.
Kuja is a crap villain, Kefka all the way.

Jebus
08-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Out of those two, it's Kerrigan, no contest.

However, Illidan would tear them both apart.

EDIT - Didn't notice the "Other" option. So yeah...Illidan.

Lindy
08-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Uhh, dunno what Warcraft universe you're comin' from, but Illidan is a wimpy emo bitch...

Seeing as how Arthas kicks his behind, and then pretty much all the big bads around Azeroth could kick Arthas (I'm looking at you Azshara, power of all the magic in the world, kk)

Anyway, Kuja vs Kerrigan = apples vs oranges.

Tavrobel
08-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Would whomever is voting for Kuja please speak up now? *Looks at six votes for Kuja*

FFIX fanboys. Unfortunately, they would get persecuted by me to no end, despite my secret obsession for FFIX.

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to say "secret," I meant... nah, I'll just leave it.

EDIT - Didn't notice the "Other" option. So yeah...Illidan.

Neither did I :cry:

Sefie1999AD
08-04-2006, 04:06 PM
That's a tough call. Kuja's one of the greatest villains I've seen in a video game, but Kerrigan is the Queen B. of the Universe. I really like (or should I say hate :D) both characters a lot, though I think Kerrigan's personality was a bit inconsistent. In StarCraft, her power is based on being a strong fighter with a lot of hatred, and unleashing the Swarm on the enemies. However, in Brood War, all she does is make other people do her work and then backstab them. Just count the amount of times she says "I used you". :p

Tavrobel
08-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Once in Episode IV, unused in Episode V, and about nine times in Episode VI, including twice in one scenario.

I didn't find her inconsistent, because that's probably the effect the Zerg have when losing their Overmind. In a sense, she really reverts back more to her Terran assassin mindset, rather than being an outright Zerg warrior that she was in the original campaign.

boys from the dwarf
08-09-2006, 10:46 AM
the main blizzard gamer ive played is warcraft 3. its one of the only ones and as good as it is and as good as the enemies are i dont find them as interesting as a lot of FF villains. especially kuja. in warcraft three there is betrayal and corruption with arthas which is good but ive never found it all as good as FF's kuja. arthas and kel thuzad are good and my favourite two evil figures in the game.kel thuzads revival and arthurs descent to evil are the best parts opf the game in my opinion. grom never interested me too much. mannoroth and archimonde are pure evil but dont seem to have many good parts that make them stand out as villains.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-09-2006, 02:43 PM
SHODAN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHODAN) pwns everyone.

Madame Adequate
08-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Sure Lindy. Illidan didn't drink from the Skull of Gul'dan, kill Tichondrius, bring the Naga back to the surface world, find the Eye of Sargeras, come a hell of a lot closer than anyone else to destroying the Frozen Throne, unite the Naga, Blood Elves, and Draenei, conquer Outland from Magtheridon and the corrupted Orcs, and has now plunged into insanity due to losing to the only person to actually properly defeat him, Arthas.

Yep, none of that happened.

That all said, the best villain is clearly Seymour.

Roogle
08-09-2006, 03:26 PM
I think that Kerrigan is a much better villain. The way that Starcraft presents its story allows us to see Kerrigan from many different points of view, and that contributes to her presentation as a villain, I think.

Markus. D
08-10-2006, 07:32 AM
Kerrigan from starcraft definetly.

one of the more awesome hero turned villians in any game ever.

Thorn
08-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Blizzard have got some real neat villains, but I think final fantasy's are better.

Evil Arthas, Mannaroth, Illidan and The Lich King are probally the 4 best Blizzard Villians (I didnt like starcraft villains much, though kerrigan was scary)

vs

Sephiroth (the darth vader of gaming), Kuja, Seymour and Kefka. (IMO)

I think FF villians are better.

As for the poll question, Kuja is better.