PDA

View Full Version : What can you do for users who don't give you info...

Peegee
08-03-2006, 06:40 PM
..and seem to be oblivious of how useless their information is?

I have this person who tells me she can't log on. I ask for error msg and it seems like she closed it. I asked if she can reboot to duplicate and she says she can't.

My line of questioning, however logical, doesn't result in anything useful. I had to basically guess that she's stuck at some portion of the windows bootup process prior to the login screen.

The only information I have is that the screen says 'windows 2000'. Great. No 'loading security policies' or 'personal settings' or anything. For all I know this person's staring blankly into a screen with the words 'windows 2000' typed into it or some other junk.

So I did what any of you would do. Send desk-side and document the hell out of the ticket (with made up stuff).

Sigh.

edit: more stuff

PG: I need more information. What's on the screen? Colors, shapes...
User: [ramble of colors] Windows 2000.
PG: *head desk*

Flying Mullet
08-03-2006, 06:43 PM
:)

Don't you just love working the call center?

crono_logical
08-03-2006, 07:30 PM
If I get someone like that on the phone, I transfer them to the support desk and let them deal with it :D It's fun when you're more in 2nd-line rather than 1st-line :p

Peegee
08-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Resolved today. Tech rebooted computer and it was fine.

Funny thing is the end user said she did so 3 times.

Hahaha.

rubah
08-03-2006, 07:44 PM
http://www.thinkin-lincoln.com/index.php?strip_id=268

Snakes are afraid of Honey.

farplaner
08-03-2006, 10:26 PM
http://www.thinkin-lincoln.com/index.php?strip_id=268

Snakes are afraid of Honey.

:laugh: ahhh, that was good.

Since we're on the subject, my comp. is doing a whole lot of buzzing and vibrating.

Here are my theories:

1) given this new information, the snakes in my comp. are angry.

2) the "lady of the night" I invited into my home the other night left one of her "devices" in the case.

3) I need a new power supply....which is the source of the vibration, I think. I don't know crap about computers. On my screen I see an oversized woodchuck doing the moonwalk on a syrup-covered dance floor. Does that help?

Yamaneko
08-03-2006, 10:37 PM
I don't think I could ever work at a call center. I would probably get the urge to reach over the phone lines and strangle the person on the other line too much. Although I deal mostly with hardware setup/troubleshooting, I do some ITC work for my own department (each department on campus has its own ITC) and I see good examples on how not to go about running an OS.