PDA

View Full Version : Any drawback to character selection?

ValiantKnight
08-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Don't think I have any spoilers, if so... sorry

So I finally get some time to play and I'm leveling a bit right before the Operation on Mihen(sp?).

Yuna just got shell, Lulu is about 6 or 7 spaces past Fira, Wakka got Aim a few spheres ago, Tidus recently got Slow, Auron is almost to armor break or magic break.. whichever comes first, and Kimarhi hasn't been used much at all.

Tidus is around 1300hp, doing 250-400 damage to most things, Auron around 2200hp doing 500-1000 to most things, and Yuna at 1600hp.
Lulu is around 1400 and dodges nicely.

Tidus has his second overdrive, and figured its time to progress.

So back to the question at hand.
Some places mention leveling all the characters, while others mention going with just three.

I plan to try to stay with Auron, Tidus/Lulu, and Yuna
Occasionally switching in Wakka when needed, and Kimarhi.

Will that combination have any major pitfalls. And if so, any recommendations. Still my first playthrough, so not looking for major spoilers.... just suggestions.

Cookie
08-03-2006, 11:43 PM
You should train all characters if you wish to progress in the game.

f f freak
08-03-2006, 11:57 PM
Well really it depends on wether you are using the standard or expert sphere grid. If you are using the Standard sphere grid then I suggest you use all of your characters a lot to get the best selection of abilities. If you are using the expert sphere grid then just level three maybe four characters because on the expert sphere grids your characters can go down whatever path they want.

Tavrobel
08-04-2006, 12:15 AM
You should DEFINITELY be fine with how much leveling you are doing. You shouldn't have any level 2 elemental spells by Sinspawn Gui. I prefer (if you are doing things in a minimalist fashion), that you should balance all seven characters, which is easier if you are doing low leveling. The advantage to this, is while you have fewer skills per character, you do not rely on one character to save you, which is good because after the Calm Lands, there are alot of enemies that one-hit-kill characters, and even some enemies that can do that beforehand. If you are truely skilled, you can use your mediocrity to get out of any situation.

You should only level up three if you are expecting to have level 3 elemental spells by the time you reach Evrae, and Holy by the time you get to Zanarkand (which is is insanely overpowered). However, the SERIOUS AND SEVERE AND MAJOR PROBLEM with this method is battles where having a balanced party will win it for you, and you will find yourself relying too heavily on a single character, which perpetuates that character's development, while skimming down allied development. You are already doing too much damage (unless you are on the Expert Sphere Grid).

ValiantKnight
08-04-2006, 12:49 AM
No expert sphere grid option that I know of. American version.. not international

And just to clarify... having a overpowered Tidus/Lulu/Yuna/Auron is bad? or just that some fights require abilities of Kimari and Wakka, and therefore having them weaker is bad?

Wakka has leveled decently.. just hasnt seen as much as the other four.
The ronso however, hasn't done but maybe 7 spheres or so.

If I had to guess.

Tidus: 55 spheres
Auron: 45 spheres
Wakka: 25-30 spheres
Lulu: 50-60 spheres
Kimarhi: 5-10 spheres
Yuna: 50-60 spheres

Spheres may be wrong count, but general %s you can derive from that.
I know there are times where Wakka's hit % will be needed, but wasn't sure about the Ronso.

And being overleveled is bad? :)
Besides the challenge factor aspect.

and i'm confused.... I'm not relying on any single character....

I'm relying on a constant party of Auron/Tidus/Yuna.. with Lulu switching out for Tidus at times, and Wakka for anyone if needed.

Tavrobel
08-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Well, you said you didn't want spoilers, so I can't really name any of the bosses by name. But alot of them will kill you quickly if you don't use your skills correctly.

Overpoweredness is bad. It makes you complacent and spoiled.

Kimahri can become VERY useful if you teach him the right stuff, as is his advantage. He can become a very hi MP Knight with Tidus/Auron's abilities, or a very durable Mage.

rubah
08-04-2006, 01:14 AM
All you really need to do is switch a character in, trade their weapon or armor, and switch them out again. You will level up everyone then.

Dynast-Kid
08-04-2006, 02:13 AM
I think you should level up Kimahri more,you might need him later on...

I made him go down Yuna's path which would be a very wise idea...

Shin Gouken
08-04-2006, 11:41 AM
All you really need to do is switch a character in, trade their weapon or armor, and switch them out again. You will level up everyone then.

You dont need to do anything with that character... just skip their turn if you want.

I seriously neglected kimahri and wakka and i didn't have a problem anywhere through the game (and i was far from over-levelled) I eventually lost lulu aswell and i dont think i missed her much. She was useful occasionally but yuna using black magic spheres to learn what she had made her less than useful in most occasions (coz switching for her in a battle meant re-casting protective spells and haste etc)

Zeromus_X
08-04-2006, 02:20 PM
When I played the game the first time, I just switched everyone out every battle, and just defended. That way, everyone gets AP.