PDA

View Full Version : AOL is TAKING YOU BACK

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 02:27 AM
Dear AOL Member,

I want to let you know about some exciting changes happening at AOL. Our service has always been an all-in-one solution for our members, consisting of:

Connectivity -- a way of connecting to the Internet (through a dial-up or high-speed connection), and Content and Services -- bringing you useful tools and features like email, security and an entertaining online experience once you're connected. Today we are announcing that AOL's software, email, and other compelling AOL features will be free to everyone who has an Internet connection -- including your Address Book, Screen Name, the Buddy ListŪ feature and more. AOL will continue to provide a dial-up connection for you, and we will continue to offer several reliable and affordable options for getting online.

What Does This Mean for You?
Nothing about your service arrangement with us will change unless you want it to. Your current plan, which includes Internet connectivity, 24/7 customer support, unlimited email storage, your email addresses and all the AOL content and services you rely on, will still be there for you.

If you do at some point choose another provider to connect you to the Internet:

You can keep your AOL Screen Name and email address for as long as you want to use it, completely free; You can continue to use your AOL software, and you can still get all your favorite features and content, completely free; You will still get AOL's comprehensive safety and security tools, protecting you from online hackers, spammers and identity thieves, completely free. All of this is free, no matter who provides your Internet connection.

Why Is AOL Doing This?
We're simply changing with the times. There are many options for Internet access, whether it's dial-up or broadband. At the same time, a lot of online content and services are now available on the Web free of charge because they are supported by advertising. So, while your Internet connectivity needs may change over time, what you love about the Web does not. We are now able to ensure that the familiar AOL experience, your Screen Name, your Address Book, your Buddy List, your Favorite Places, and other content and features you enjoy, will always be available to you for free.

In September, you will be hearing more about changes at AOL. Until then, you can visit AOL Keyword: New AOL for more information and to sign up for informative email alerts.

Sincerely,

Jon Miller
Chairman and CEO
AOL LLC

ARGH! :evilking:

So what do you think 'bout this change?
Going back to it? (I know you were there!!!!! ;P)

Discuss!

Kurenai
08-04-2006, 02:29 AM
haha! you got one too ne!? ...gotta love it :tumble:

Leeza
08-04-2006, 02:30 AM
ARGH! is not a thread topic.

Discuss AOL.

Tavrobel
08-04-2006, 02:31 AM
People use AOL?

Venom
08-04-2006, 02:31 AM
People use AOL?

99% of my town uses AOL.

So no, not alot of people use AOL XD

Shoden
08-04-2006, 02:32 AM
Stay away from it, it's beyond good and evil, it's just a pure abomination to the internet, if it were my choice i'd burn it all in a huge 7 day riot, saving internetkind from annihalation.

To be serious, I don't like AOL, never considered it, the discs you get free rock, i got so many uses for them.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 02:33 AM
ARGH! is not a thread topic.

Discuss AOL.

sorry...gives Leeza a new cute little kitten:cat: :holmes:

Meat Puppet
Psychotic destroyed an AOL CD once (maybe more).

Venom
Stay away from it, it's beyond good and evil, it's just a pure abomination to the internet, if it were my choice i'd burn it all in a huge 7 day riot, saving internetkind from annihalation.

To be serious, I don't like AOL, never considered it, the discs you get free rock, i got so many uses for them.

You never really use the disc's in the computer you kinda just...well set em afire and whatnot.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 02:36 AM
I don't know how smart you guys are...but you DO know the features AOL have right?

Free VIRUS and Spyware program(free)
AOL Radio(without commercials...well maybe 1 every 15-30 minutes, which only lasts 'bout 10 seconds): with over thousandths of stations INCLUDING such categories as:

videogames
Final Fantasy(FF music 24/7)
Metal
All MetallicA(MetallicA 24/7)
All Slayer(Slayer 24/7)
Black Metal
Death Metal
Hair Metal
Metalcore
etc.

*whistles* Hey Arucard! still not interested?

and many other features I can't remember at the moment.

Rye
08-04-2006, 02:39 AM
Psychotic burninating an AOL CD, like Meat Puppet mentioned, is one of the best things ever. :p

Roto13
08-04-2006, 02:39 AM
Wow, it can play music? That's like my Winamp playlist, except I get to pay for it! :D

Sylvie
08-04-2006, 02:40 AM
I hate, hate, AOL. And no, I've never had it as my own Internet service.

nik0tine
08-04-2006, 02:41 AM
Free VIRUS and Spyware program(free)I've always wanted virus and spyware!

Shoden
08-04-2006, 02:41 AM
Well we really do have alot of Arsonists here on Eoff. AOL sucks, it's protection sucks, it's easy to disable, lots of viruses get past it, it's pretty much slow and who cares about the features, just listen to what music you want using a media player, screw radio.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 02:42 AM
I hate, hate, AOL. And no, I've never had it as my own Internet service.

I don't need to have it as your internet service to use it, it's free:rolleyes2

Ryth
08-04-2006, 02:43 AM
My dad got us AOL, and I hate it. I hate it a lot. Dial-up always sucks, AOL just takes dial-up and turns it into the equivalent of the Black Death. It has a lot of extra stuff, but the music stations are buggy during videos, freeze constantly, and the sound quality isn't anywhere near satisfying. The chatrooms and forums just make you hate adolescents. AOL is the suck.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 02:45 AM
My dad got us AOL, and I hate it. I hate it a lot. Dial-up always sucks, AOL just takes dial-up and turns it into the equivalent of the Black Death. It has a lot of extra stuff, but the music stations are buggy during videos, freeze constantly, and the sound quality isn't anywhere near satisfying. The chatrooms and forums just make you hate adolescents. AOL is the suck.

With Dial-up. With Broadband, their music station is CD quality.

Venom
08-04-2006, 02:48 AM
Thank God, my mom uninstalled AOL before it completely trashed my computer.

Raistlin
08-04-2006, 02:49 AM
Why the hell would you ever want AOL on broadband?

And yes, I've had AOL before.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 02:49 AM

because of its features?:rolleyes2

Raistlin
08-04-2006, 02:52 AM

Because of its features that you can get elsewhere better and for free?

rubah
08-04-2006, 02:53 AM
I have never ever used America Online! nor do I want to.

well, I take that back, I used it once for about two minutes at someone else's house. But they've never been my ISP~

What in the name of Heaven kind of features does AOL possibly have that a sane person could possibly want?

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 02:55 AM

Because of its features that you can get elsewhere better and for free?

Better? But I wonder, isn't "better" an opinion? :irked:

And AOL is FREE

Read my first post, if you must.

What in the name of Heaven kind of features does AOL possibly have that a sane person could possibly want?

*points* first post.

Raistlin
08-04-2006, 02:59 AM

And AOL is FREE

You have to sign up for AOL first, then switch ISPs. :p

And AOL is such a waste of space. Do you still have to keep their RAM-whoring browser open? That is the most stupid thing I've ever seen.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 03:03 AM

And AOL is FREE

You have to sign up for AOL first, then switch ISPs. :p

And AOL is such a waste of space. Do you still have to keep their RAM-whoring browser open? That is the most stupid thing I've ever seen.

What are you talking 'bout? you don't have to switch ISPs.

Well, if you have a good computer the space the program takes isn't that big of a deal.

PS: You OBVIOUSLY haven't read my first post, why the lazyness?

Raistlin
08-04-2006, 03:06 AM

Well, if you have a good computer the space the program takes isn't that big of a deal.

... well, if you don't switch ISPs, you have to pay for the AOL connection. Did you even read it?

And yes, if you have over 1 GB of RAM, the RAM-whoring mandatory browser probably doesn't make much of a difference in the computer running smoothly. However, that doesn't change the fact that 1, it's still retarded, and 2, many people don't have great computers like that, so it drains RAM.

EDIT: it's extremely ironic that you're accusing me of not reading it, since you either didn't read it or don't understand any of it.

Psychotic
08-04-2006, 03:06 AM
Psychotic destroyed an AOL CD once (maybe more).http://mysite.freeserve.com/baotw/po39.jpg

I was such a rebel when I was 16. Fight the man, and all that. Now I am The Man. I am Aaron Freed.

Venom
08-04-2006, 03:07 AM
Psychotic destroyed an AOL CD once (maybe more).http://mysite.freeserve.com/baotw/po39.jpg

I was such a rebel when I was 16. Fight the man, and all that. Now I am The Man. I am Aaron Freed.

I love you man, I love you.

Shoden
08-04-2006, 03:08 AM

... well, if you don't switch ISPs, you have to pay for the AOL connection. Did you even read it?

And yes, if you have over 1 GB of RAM, the RAM-whoring mandatory browser probably doesn't make much of a difference in the computer running smoothly. However, that doesn't change the fact that 1, it's still retarded, and 2, many people don't have great computers like that, so it drains RAM.

Even if you upgrade it's a waste of time and money, you can get much better things that take up a hell of alot less RAM. Switching to AOL would just send you to lag hell, I've took it off computers a few times, that's a real bitch of a task itself.

Rye
08-04-2006, 03:08 AM

Only one thing to do now... :crying2:

Well AARON!! XD

Xaven
08-04-2006, 03:16 AM

Um, exactly what Raist said. From what I get from the article, you have to have been a previous AOL subscriber. :3

Edit: Ah, 'yall be me.

I do NOT plan on ever subscribing to AOL. My friend had it some years back and it was hideous. ;__;

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 03:36 AM

Um, exactly what Raist said. From what I get from the article, you have to have been a previous AOL subscriber. :3

I do NOT plan on ever subscribing to AOL. My friend had it some years back and it was hideous. ;__;

not true. It's free for anyone.

Sephex
08-04-2006, 03:37 AM
"So easy to use no wodner it's number--" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhaHHAHAHAHAhAHAhAHAHAHA!

**** AOL.

Raistlin
08-04-2006, 03:38 AM

Argh. First off, you still have to pay for an ISP. Secondly, you have to have been a previous subscriber. That's what that says! Good god.

<i>If you do at some point choose another provider to connect you to the Internet:

You can keep your AOL Screen Name and email address for as long as you want to use it, completely free; You can continue to use your AOL software, and you can still get all your favorite features and content, completely free; You will still get AOL's comprehensive safety and security tools, protecting you from online hackers, spammers and identity thieves, completely free. All of this is free, no matter who provides your Internet connection.

Why Is AOL Doing This?
We're simply changing with the times. There are many options for Internet access, whether it's dial-up or broadband. At the same time, a lot of online content and services are now available on the Web free of charge because they are supported by advertising. So, while your Internet connectivity needs may change over time, what you love about the Web does not. We are now able to ensure that the familiar AOL experience, your Screen Name, your Address Book, your Buddy List, your Favorite Places, and other content and features you enjoy, will always be available to you for free.</i>

Read that part again.

Shoden
08-04-2006, 03:42 AM
"So easy to use no wodner it's number--" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhaHHAHAHAHAhAHAhAHAHAHA!

**** AOL.

((qft.))
Can we talk about AOL discs too?
I got a whole stack of them in my cuboard, I practice my throwing technique sometimes. In general AOL is like a drug for the computer. (except with a 99% fatality rate). That's a nice result Psy, maybes I should try it sometime... need to use these discs for something.

DeathKnight
08-04-2006, 03:52 AM

Argh. First off, you still have to pay for an ISP. Secondly, you have to have been a previous subscriber. That's what that says! Good god.

<i>If you do at some point choose another provider to connect you to the Internet:

Why Is AOL Doing This?
We're simply changing with the times. There are many options for Internet access, whether it's dial-up or broadband. At the same time, a lot of online content and services are now available on the Web free of charge because they are supported by advertising. So, while your Internet connectivity needs may change over time, what you love about the Web does not. We are now able to ensure that the familiar AOL experience, your Screen Name, your Address Book, your Buddy List, your Favorite Places, and other content and features you enjoy, will always be available to you for free.</i>

Read that part again.

Tell me, frankly. Who the hell will connect to the Internet with AOL?:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

I said! that if it's free (of course I'm talking 'bout people who have another Internet provider) :irked:

Raistlin
08-04-2006, 04:01 AM
Tell me, frankly. Who the hell will connect to the Internet with AOL?:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

I said! that if it's free (of course I'm talking 'bout people who have another Internet provider) :irked:
I give up. You obviously don't read anything anyone says, or you just see what you want to. That clearly says you have to be a former AOL subscriber.

Ryth
08-04-2006, 04:16 AM

**** AOL.

((qft.))
I got a whole stack of them in my cuboard, I practice my throwing technique sometimes. In general AOL is like a drug for the computer. (except with a 99% fatality rate). That's a nice result Psy, maybes I should try it sometime... need to use these discs for something.

No, a drug will make your computer feel good at first. AOL is more like rape. It starts violently, your computer trying to force the abomination away from it's happy places, but AOL beats your computer until she's senseless and gives up, as the AOL has it's way with it, eventually making your computer psychologically traumatized and unable to do tasks with it's original effieceny. All it can see is AOL, everywhere haunting the poor girl, as it can't concentrate on even the simplest of tasks. Even if you go through the hassle of getting rid of the ISP, your computer will always have that scar. Always.

escobert
08-04-2006, 04:17 AM
Psychotic burninating an AOL CD, like Meat Puppet mentioned, is one of the best things ever. :p
yes!

Tainted Angel
08-04-2006, 06:26 AM
AOL is more like rape. It starts violently, your computer trying to force the abomination away from it's happy places, but AOL beats your computer until she's senseless and gives up, as the AOL has it's way with it, eventually making your computer psychologically traumatized and unable to do tasks with it's original effieceny. All it can see is AOL, everywhere haunting the poor girl, as it can't concentrate on even the simplest of tasks. Even if you go through the hassle of getting rid of the ISP, your computer will always have that scar. Always.

In soviet internetistan, Sig Quotes You!
(On a diff forum, also edited to come undera size limit.)

Shoden
08-04-2006, 01:39 PM

**** AOL.

((qft.))

No, a drug will make your computer feel good at first. AOL is more like rape. It starts violently, your computer trying to force the abomination away from it's happy places, but AOL beats your computer until she's senseless and gives up, as the AOL has it's way with it, eventually making your computer psychologically traumatized and unable to do tasks with it's original effieceny. All it can see is AOL, everywhere haunting the poor girl, as it can't concentrate on even the simplest of tasks. Even if you go through the hassle of getting rid of the ISP, your computer will always have that scar. Always.

You should write a book about it, that's clearly oscar material.

Tavrobel
08-04-2006, 03:32 PM

VICTOLY! AOL got winned.

Fonzie
08-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Try to cancel your AOL Membersip. It's a blast :rolleyes2

Iceglow
08-04-2006, 03:54 PM
I never burnt an AOL disc before however I did turn a few hundred in to ninja stars to be used by me and my friends, CDs shatter on impact with the walls still good job it wasn't in either of our houses otherwise it could have been a pain to clean up.

MageLuingil
08-04-2006, 03:54 PM
I collect AOL discs. No reason, I just saw one one day, and randomly decided to keep it, and since then I keep any new ones I find. I've got a lovely collection of mint condition, unused discs now. :p

Alive-Cat
08-04-2006, 03:59 PM
I have never had the misfortune of finding an AOL disk, or having any AOL stuff on my computer. :)

bipper
08-04-2006, 04:13 PM
There is a lesson to be learned from DeathKnight kids: Don't use or support AOL. It gets you banned.

Fonzie
08-04-2006, 04:50 PM
There is a lesson to be learned from DeathKnight kids: Don't use or support AOL. It gets you banned.

Damn straight Bipper

Shoden
08-04-2006, 05:01 PM

I said something similar in chat last night:

< Shoden > DK fails, he's pro AOL.
< Shoden > someone ban him.
< rubah > Anyone that asks for someone else to be banned has to be banned first
< rubah > to prove their commitment
< rubah > to getting someone banned
< Shoden > he's pro AOL, there's a loophole right there.
< rubah > nope
< rubah > You have to follow the rules
< rubah > here
< rubah > I'll ban you for you
< Shoden > I don't use AOL.
< Shoden > =(
< Shoden > AOL is against Cid's teachings, it's followers should be exterminated.
<rubah > no but you want death knight banned
< rubah > so I have to ban you first.

See? I think Rubah secretly supports and follows AOL, either that or poor Rubah cannot see the evilness of AOL, we need to bring her back to the light side of EoFF.

Cipher
08-04-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't know, the changes don't really bother me as an AOL user. Then again, I don't use AOL for any of its extra "features" like the Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware programs, or its music videos or radio; I use it for its chatrooms and the Freeform RP (roleplay)...been doing so for the last, oh, nine years.

I mean yeah, there are other RP options on the 'net, like Message Boards and whatnot, but they've never really appealed to me. <shrug> I would say that the day AOL allows its Public A&E chats to be free is the day I stop paying them, but AOL will probably be officially in the toilet the day that happens.

Anyway, my 2c.

Arrianna
08-04-2006, 05:30 PM

I love you man, I love you.
Nice. We just glued felt to one side and gave them away as Christmas presents. Complete sets of the "coaster of the month".

Old Manus
08-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Haha, Deathknight is banned. That made my day.

Christmas
08-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Who is DeathKnight?

Tavrobel
08-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Haha, Deathknight is banned. That made my day. makes up for the last six months of having to put up with his asshatness. But we really shouldn't elaborate further lest we come in danger of getting our own shiny pink title.

Old Manus
08-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Agreed.

Er, AOL sux. I never used it.

Madame Adequate
08-04-2006, 05:47 PM

... books don't win Oscars.

Shoden
08-04-2006, 05:49 PM

Make it into a movie?

Tavrobel
08-04-2006, 05:51 PM

Make it into a movie?

Book-based Movies always win Oscars. Just look at Lord of the Rings (despite the endless amount of crimes made against the book, the movie still pwned the Oscars).

Shoden
08-04-2006, 06:37 PM
AOL is the equivilant of Al Qaeda in the computer market.

Shadow Masamune
08-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Hey At least AOL radio has a Final Fantasy music station I listen to often on broadband...

IT IS AWESOME!!!

Shoden
08-07-2006, 07:58 PM
AOL... IT IS AWESOME!!!

No offence here but tell me if or if not you were exposed to any kind of hypnotising or brainwashing? Just curious to know, because "AOL" and "Awesome" don't belong together, you can get FF radio stations on several websites and downloading your own music beats radio. =). I shall start an anti-AOL-on-EoFF campaign... Right after a word from our sponsors. Bomb AOL HQ!

Decessus
08-07-2006, 08:20 PM
-Commercial Break-
Do you scratch your ass in public?
Do you live with a bunch of animals?
Do you admire other people's cocks?
Then you must be... A farmer.
-End of Commercial Break-

"AOL, are bad people! They want to destroy EOFF! I know they have weapons of mass destruction, and we must have a meaningless war againt them! We will send an army of oldbies to the AOL lands! And then bomb the AOL lands!" - President Cid.
"YEAH, THEN LET'S SHOOT THEM IN THE FACE!!! AAAHH!!! HEART ATTACK!!!" - Vice-President BoB.

Fate Fatale
08-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Aol Sucks.... I have it right now and my parents are having fun making whores out of the parental controls... SAVE ME!!!!

Shoden
08-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Learn the way of the hax. Or just burn all your useful files to disk and ultimatly screw the computer manually.

Fate Fatale
08-08-2006, 12:16 AM
Whazzzah?

Shadow Masamune
08-08-2006, 05:31 AM
I didn't know such radio stations even existed, I thought AOL radio was the only one.

Then again, I never searched for any others.