PDA

View Full Version : Meanings of names and words

Roto13
08-04-2006, 03:09 AM
As many of us know, many, many names in Final Fantasy are from different mythologies and things. Like a "carbuncle" is a puss-draining abcess that is mentioned several times in the bible. Also:

Carbuncle is also the term given to a mythical beast reportedly sighted in the Americas by early Spanish conquistadors. Although no firm eyewitness accounts are available, they have been described as small creatures, either birds or mammals. It is certain that they wear gems on their foreheads; such gems come from the brains of dragons. According to myth, dragons have inside their brain a liquid that crystallizes into a solid gem when they die. According to superstition, it is good luck to catch a carbuncle. Originally spelt "Carbunkel".

LunarWeaver
08-04-2006, 03:16 AM
Like a "carbuncle" is a puss-draining abcess that is mentioned several times in the bible

Gross :O_O:

I remember really getting into VIII when I was in 8th grade and learning about Quezacotl being some Mayan-Indian-hoodoo-God-somethingsomething, and I was like the only one that could spell or pronounce it because I had seen the damn bird 345345 times. Square taught me more than school as you can see.

Dynast-Kid
08-04-2006, 03:19 AM
Gross indeed!

Isn't Shiva named after the Hindu god/goddess of destruction.I heard(on Wikipedia I think)that they chose the name Shiva because it sounds so much like the word "shiver"

Clever,eh?(not really)

Griff
08-04-2006, 03:37 AM
Let us not forget that Squall means Giant Freakin Wind!

rubah
08-04-2006, 04:46 AM
Most of the enemies in ffx-2 come from persian mythology. Most notedly Angra Mainyu, and Azi Dahaka

Kefka_Almighty
08-04-2006, 04:57 AM
The only one I know for certain is that Sephiroth comes from Kabbalistic lore in reference to the Sephiroth, also known as the Sefirot, which I believe are the steps by which one attains a state similiar to a form of god-hood or merely a god-like state.

The monster Golems that tend to be in the games I'm also fairly certain are from Jewish lore and had been the creations of a rabbi in order to protect his people from harm.

Now that I think about it, I'm fairly certain that Ahriman is a reference to Zoroasterism, being their name for the devil or evil god in their religion.

Decessus
08-04-2006, 06:34 AM
Did you guys know that Cloud is also a visible body of very fine water droplets or ice particles suspended in the atmosphere at altitudes ranging up to several miles above sea level?
The four fiends/emperors in FF4 are named after four demons that come from the, Dante's Inferno, written in the early 14th century.
The japanese name of Ultros is actually Othros, a two-headed dog in Greek mythology owned by Geryon who was slain by Hercules. This would explain his association with Chupon/Typhon - Orthros was one of the sons of Typhon in Greek mythology. Of course, how they got a crazy, horrible pun-making, purple octopus from a two-headed dog is anyone's guess.
As for Sephiroth - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephirot_%28Kabbalah%29

DJZen
08-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Oh hey, look at that: http://members.lycos.co.uk/aspara/ffmyth.htm

Incinerator
08-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Garland=Flower
Tiamat=Queen(!)of Dragons
Leveiathan=Destructive biblical creature
Pheonix=Bird that rose from ashes(Greek/Egyptian myth)
Odin=Great Norse God
Pandemonia=Probably taken from pandemonium meaning chaos
Malarith=A type of snake (i think)
Nymph(ff9 monster)=Greek fairies
Gnoll(ff9 monster)= Place in Wales(!)
Nikeah=Ikea (has got loads of shops)
Poltergeist=Ghost
Excalibur=King Arthur's Sword
Grendel=Monster beowolf in mythology had to fight
Magus=Mage=Magi
Terra=Scientific word for the Earth
Gaia=Godess/Titan of the Earth in Greek Mythology
Aegis=I think it's Latin for Gorgon
Garuda and Zuu/Zu=Mythical birds
Lobo(wolf in ff6)=Spanish for Wolf
Zidane=Footballer:)

Twilight Edge
08-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Cait Sith-A shape-shifting cat in I-forgot-which mythology.

Slothy
08-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Quite a bit of info on this sort of thing here (http://mythology.terrapolis.org/Mythology.htm).

Griff
08-05-2006, 12:38 AM
Wakka- a wheeled object used to help the elderly walk around

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Oh hey, look at that: http://members.lycos.co.uk/aspara/ffmyth.htmAlso: http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/name.shtml

Roto13
08-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Cait Sith-A shape-shifting cat in I-forgot-which mythology.
I was looking at this one yesterday. Weirdass pronounciation. Caught shee, indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cait_Sith

Zeromus_X
08-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Kitten Sith!! Or Kitten Sidhe! :cat: :love:

chronic_Maniac
08-05-2006, 08:29 AM
besides Excalibur you got the knights of the round table which deals with king auther too.
Cerberus is the three headed dog guarding the gates of the underworld.
Hades is the ruler of hell
Behamut is the king of dragons
but the list goes on and on...

Decessus
08-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Actually, Bahamut is a giant fish. According to some mythology (I don't know, greek?), the world is being held up by an angel standing on a ruby mountain. The mountain lies on top of a bull, which is Kujata (FF7 summon), with four thousand various body parts, which in turn stands on a fish which swims through the darkness, and that fish is Bahamut. I, myself, don't see the transition from giant space fish to king of dragons, but that's Square for you.

Roto13
08-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Bahamut (Arabic: بهموت‎ Bahamūt) is originally an aquatic figure of Arabic mythology, though this figure has been significantly altered in the process of modernization.

Bahamut is an enormous fish that resides in a vast sea. He supports a huge bull named Kujuta who has four thousand eyes, and the same number of ears, noses, mouths, tongues and feet. Between every one of each is a distance of five hundred years' journey. Kujuta supports on him a rock of ruby, atop which stands an angel who supports the seven earths.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-06-2006, 02:54 AM
Kujata and Bahamut are basically the Islamic equivalents of Christianity's Behemoth and Leviathan.

BardTard
08-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Fujin means wind god

Roto13
08-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Fujin means wind god

Yes, and Raijin is a thunder god. :)

Twilight Edge
08-06-2006, 05:12 PM

Actually, Bahamut is a giant fish. According to some mythology (I don't know, greek?), the world is being held up by an angel standing on a ruby mountain. The mountain lies on top of a bull, which is Kujata (FF7 summon), with four thousand various body parts, which in turn stands on a fish which swims through the darkness, and that fish is Bahamut. I, myself, don't see the transition from giant space fish to king of dragons, but that's Square for you.[/QUOTE]

Bahamut DOES mean king of dragons in another mythology,but both the mythologies can be accepted though.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-06-2006, 05:15 PM
The only "mythology" in which Bahamut is the king of dragons is that of Dungeons & Dragons. The first Final Fantasy game ripped off a ridiculous amount of monsters from D&D, and Bahamut was no different.

Roto13
08-06-2006, 09:40 PM
That's really too bad, though. I'd love for a giant fish to use Gigaflare :P

Hambone
08-07-2006, 03:45 AM
Laguna means "lagoon" in Spanish. That's the best I can come up with.

ljkkjlcm9
08-07-2006, 04:32 AM
Mōguri, the Japanese name of Moogles, is a portmanteau of the words mogura (mole) and koumori (bat). This is fitting as moogles tend to have small eyes and red/purple wings.

THE JACKEL

The Crystal
08-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Kuja = God of Mars = God of War

Materia Hunter Yuffie
08-08-2006, 03:46 AM
Yuna means a type of pink hybiscus (sp) flower (that is on her skirt in X)

feona17
08-08-2006, 04:12 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_X_characters#Aeons - explains Aeons found in X. I thought they were interesting ^^

Dynast-Kid
08-08-2006, 05:27 AM
Kujata and Bahamut are basically the Islamic equivalents of Christianity's Behemoth and Leviathan.

The English word "behemoth" is actually derived from the Arabic word "Bahamut"

Materia Hunter Yuffie
08-08-2006, 06:26 AM
Aeris/ Aerith spelt differently means goddess of Strife

chronic_Maniac
08-08-2006, 06:27 AM
Ok well Ragnorok is a battle Odin took place in. The original God save the queen is an ugly painting of a she-male queen.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-08-2006, 06:39 AM
Aeris/ Aerith spelt differently means goddess of StrifeI assume you mean Eris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eris), in which case the similarity in names is just a coincidence.
Ok well Ragnorok is a battle Odin took place in.More than that, it's the Nordic version of the Apocalypse.
The original God save the queen is an ugly painting of a she-male queen.Save the Queen originated in Final Fantasy Tactics, which, like the Ogre Battle games, contains several references to Queen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_%28band%29) the band, that sword being one of them.

DarkLadyNyara
08-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Last I checked, Gilgamesh was a king in Sumerian mythology. Which led to some interesting discussions in AcDec. :D

chronic_Maniac
08-08-2006, 09:23 AM
hmm titan was some giant man like creatures that could shake the earth and do other things. Lich was a god of darkness. Holy, Angel, Faith are stated in the bible. and abaddon is the hebrew name for 'the destroyer'

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-08-2006, 09:41 AM
In Greek mythology, the Titans were gigantic deities that ruled the cosmos before Zeus and company came in and overthrew them. "Lich" is just a catch-all term for an undead evil dude, stemming from the Slav word for "evil" and the German word for "corpse."

Griff
08-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Tidus comes from the bible

Sin is pretty self-explanitory.

Come to think of it FFX is basically a look at the story of Jesus with a different ending.

feona17
08-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Tidus comes from the bible

Sin is pretty self-explanitory.

Come to think of it FFX is basically a look at the story of Jesus with a different ending.

Uh.. Tidus isn't from the bible. This is from http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/nchara.shtml#10

Tidus: "Tidus" (which is pronounced Tii-da in the Japanese version, not Tee-dus or Tide-us) is from the Ryukyu (Okinawan) dialect of Japanese, and means "sun". It comes from the honorific once used to refer to an Okinawan king: Tidanukwa, or Tedako in Japanese, which means, "child of the sun".
I do NOT think that his name comes from the word "Tide", tying him in to Squall and Cloud. The words are pronounced completely differently.

Yuna: "Yuna" (Yuu-na) is also from the Ryukyu dialect, and means "night," and also refers to the hibiscus flower, which is called "yuna" because of the fact that it is more open at night than during the day. Tara Mars mentions that this flower also decorates Yuna's outfit and jewelry.

Yunalesca: the "lesca" may come from the name Leska, which means "defender of mankind" in Greek.

Zaon: Zaon is an ancient name for the sun in Sanskrit. The relationship between Zaon (sun) and Yunalesca (moon) parallels that between Tidus (sun) and Yuna (moon).

Griff
08-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Tidus is also a person in the bible. New Testement, between second Timothy and Philemon. He was described as a gentile convert who sometimes accompanied Paul the apostle, and who was leader of the church at Crete. I am well aware that the bible spells it Titus, but like I stated before there are multiple similar connections.

Kurui
08-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Wakka- a wheeled object used to help the elderly walk around xD lol

Midgar-
The name derives from Norse mythology, in which Midgard is one of the Nine Worlds. In the mythology, it was the home of mankind, as set aside at the time of Creation.
. . . I love Square :love:

Ozmoid
08-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Half of these probably aren't true.
Cait Sith: Darth Vader's pet cat.
Terra: Latin/spanish for land
Gaia: greek thingummy of the earth
Moogle: The noise a cow makes when suffering from Darvidian Sayinggleaftereverything Syndrome
Vivi: The reverse of Iviv
Dagger: What you see before you
Shiva: Hindu god who dances the dance of life and death.
Leviathan: It means big
Behemoth: It means Leviathan
Chocobo: A choclatey cereal