PDA

View Full Version : Various files to DVD

Killy
08-05-2006, 04:31 PM
I have been trying to put .Avi . OGM and .mkv files on dvd, however the programs I used only gave crappy results.

I tried Googling for some program but I only got software that you have to pay for. Is there any good freeware programs that I could use? If not ill take something that you have to pay for.

Mirage
08-05-2006, 11:56 PM
I just use Nero to put any kind of files on my DVDs.

Killy
08-06-2006, 04:01 PM
I mean so it can be read bya DVD player, sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

Mirage
08-06-2006, 05:35 PM
I see. Well. Many DVD players can playback DivX movies, some can do XviD too. I don't know any who can read the OGM container though.
But I'm not too much into making DVD Video myself, so I can't really help you. I just make sure it's DivX or XviD, because our DVD player can read that. You won't get DVD quality even if you convert from a lesser-quality format and into DVD video either, if that was part of your idea.

Also, which programs have you tried? I know Nero can do it, but I haven't actually used Nero for that myself. If Nero does a good job with AVI, you could try converting your OGMs and MKVs into AVI, and then have Nero do it.

Remember, regardless of the files being of AVI, MKV or OGM type, you might not have the proper codecs, or the converter program might not recognize them. Those three formats are only container formats, you see. They have different types of data. For example: movie.avi a video stream encoded with DivX, and an audio stream encoded with mp3. The AVI file also contains information about which codecs the player should use to decode them. If your program can open the AVI file, but can't find a proper codec for the DivX video stream, you'll get errors such as sound but no video. Other errors could be poor video quality, audio that skips, or that the audio is out of sync (the audio comes too late or too early compared to the video).

Killy
08-08-2006, 06:56 PM
I knew about that, however, I have no good programs to convert AVI to the DVD format, the ones I found give make the video "stutter". And while my DVD player can read AVI files, most dont, and the DVDs I am making are not for me.

To be more precise, I need something to extract AVI files from OGM and MKV files (and also the audio and subtitles files). And a good program to encode them to DVD format.