PDA

View Full Version : ps1 vs snes?

asukaevaunit02
08-05-2006, 04:45 PM
im wanted to play chrono trigger agian the other day , and was wondering which platform i should play it ot, i have finished it once on ps1, but i can only play that on the tv in the living romm coz its NTSC, but i started playing it on my laptop again. the ps1 verson runs slow because the disc is a little scratched where as the snes runs much faster

what are the advantages/disadvantages of each, i know theres some extra features on the ps1 verson, though i havnt unlocked all of them

silentenigma
08-05-2006, 09:17 PM
no, it doesn't run slowly on the ps1 because your disk is scratched; the PS1 port always has long load times.

I honestly can't stand playing it on the playstation because of the long, long, long wait to open the menu and start a battle; just play it on the snes or your computer. It'll run very smoothly. If there are any unlockable features on the ps1, they probably aren't worth it anyway.

Zechs
08-06-2006, 04:21 AM
I thought the unlockables were ok. All the games music, few unused. The newly added animated cut-sceens. And the fact you can record your endings instead of playing and getting A ending.

Though its up to you. Yes the PSX version is a poor port as of load times, but is good for added features. The SNES/Emulator Is put together much more smoothley but has no features other than just the game.

Sefie1999AD
08-06-2006, 11:24 AM
I'd get the SNES version because it plays a lot more smoothly. The PSX version has terrible loading times from what I've heard, and that alone is a good reason not to play the PSX version. I also personally hate the ending FMV and the extra ending FMV, but I'm not going to rant about them any more this time.

edczxcvbnm
08-06-2006, 07:51 PM
I want to point out that the PSX version just runs slower in general. Most big spells you will cast such as Luminare will have their sound clip finish well before the actual spell.

Necronopticous
08-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Play it on the SNES and watch the Playstation port anime cutscenes on YouTube. Actually playing through Chrono Trigger on Playstation is more of a chore than it is enjoyment, which should never be the case for such a wonderful game.

Zeromus_X
08-06-2006, 08:28 PM
^Pretty much.

Although the unlockables are very nice (sound test, etc.), the unnatural pause to start a freaking battle is just plain wrong. Play the SNES version, on an emulator if you must.

asukaevaunit02
08-11-2006, 12:22 PM
thanks all for ur tips, ive continued playin on snes, i just very annoyed bout waitng for thr ps1 to load,

Dreddz
08-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Just find the one which is cheaper. There isnt much difference.

Cruise Control
08-12-2006, 04:32 PM
If you really wanted the unlockables, download them off the internet. The unused songs on Blue Laguna, as well as the rest of unused tracks.

The Knights of the Round
08-19-2006, 04:53 AM
i play my origins, chronicles, anthology on ps1 cause i dont have them on snes. actually i dont have a snes. (i wish i did though). and yeah i do have FF I on NES but i think the psx version was good. so i didnt feel like going back and hookin my nes up. also i got the nes version after i finished the psx one. sooo yeah i can deal with the loading time being like 3 seconds slower, annoying but im not gonna play since its on a sytem that i keep hooked up and not put away in a safe place.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
08-20-2006, 06:45 AM
I've only played the PS1 version, and also the ROM. The loading times weren't that bad. I started with FFVII, and played PS1 RPG's for years, so having load times for CT and older FF's on the PS1 weren't too tortuous.

I have considered getting the real Super NES version of CT, though, now that I have a better SNES controller. I'm weird. I have FFVI for PS1, then recently I got it for Super NES in English and then in Japanese. I've only completed the PS1 version a long time ago, though. Anyways, with CT, the extras were neat. There are plenty of extras. Oh, and don't use bluelaguna. Use zophar.net for video game soundtracks, and then try bluelaguna if zophar doesn't have it. Zophar has it just like in the game instead of having annoying fadeouts (unless you like fadeouts). Also, I like in CT that there are ingame FMV's, unlike the FF ports.

But yeah, I should get CT for SNES as well, and also play all the way through the older FF's on the SNES. Once I get FFIV, my FF collection will be complete, mwahaha.

Dr. Corndog
09-08-2006, 01:52 PM
The loading times on the PS1 have never bothered me. Honestly, it only takes about two seconds for a battle to load. And paying $20 for a new copy of Final Fantasy Chronicles sure beats paying $30 for a used copy of Chrono Trigger.

Skarr
09-09-2006, 12:00 AM
I've never played the ps1 version, so I can't give you a fair pov. However you'll undoubtly play it on your laptop anyway so enjoy it buddy.

Peter_20
09-21-2006, 09:30 AM
The only reason to play the PS1 version is to watch the incredibly cool FMV of Frog cleaving the Magic Cave entrance into pieces with the Masamune.
That scene ROCKED! :thumb:

edczxcvbnm
09-21-2006, 07:53 PM
One thing I had always wondered was if the load speeds and stuff wouldn't be an issue if the game was run in a fast CD-ROM drive and the game actually took advantage of the current systems actual power? Maybe the PS3 will tell us these answers?