PDA

View Full Version : Zidane what a theif

Michael Belmont
08-06-2006, 02:06 AM
So tell me about Zidane.

Thorn
08-06-2006, 03:11 AM
Why dont you tell us why you keep making these lame topics in all the final fantasy sections?

Dell
08-06-2006, 03:28 AM
He's a good leader. :tongue:

Xurts
08-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Everything about him sucks. He's almost as bad as Vivi. And that's saying something.

Darkwing Bahamut
08-06-2006, 05:36 AM
He's alright, but I liked Vivi better.

Zeromus_X
08-06-2006, 05:38 AM
He's a good leader. Storywise, of course.

I don't see why he would suck in battle though, his attacks often do around 2-4,000 for me. His Trances are where he really shines, doing massive damage at any point in the game.

LunarWeaver
08-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Of course I like him he has a tail.

Xurts
08-06-2006, 06:54 AM
He's a good leader. Storywise, of course.

I don't see why he would suck in battle though, his attacks often do around 2-4,000 for me. His Trances are where he really shines, doing massive damage at any point in the game.
I find him to be terrible in battle. The amount of time it takes to max Thievery isn't even realistic. His Trance is equally crappy compared to everyone else's in the game, since every Trance is pretty useless except Eiko's. Even when he is at Level 99 WITH the MP Boost or w/e ability equipped, he still only does 8000 damage.

I would love it if there was a GameShark code that lets me replace Zidane in my party other than when I am in Memoria. My party wouldn't have such a bad limp in battles then, and the 4th character would actually serve a purpose rather than standing there wagging his tail making it seem like he is a prehistoric species of human.

Of course, what was I supposed to expect from a theif? The only use that any theif has in the FF series is during boss battles. Other than that they are a waste, unless they have some other useful skill.

Decessus
08-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Ha! My Zidane does max damage at level 60!

Slade
08-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Zidane was another of my favorite main characters from the series, along with Squall and Terra.

Dreddz
08-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Hes a Tripod, I love him !

Zeromus_X
08-06-2006, 03:49 PM
His Grand Lethal (or whatever it's called) and other previous Trances do extreme damage. Just because Trance is unreliable doesn't mean that they suck, they still do optimum damage. 8,000 damage is still alot, for a normal attack.

Zidane can Steal, and most bosses do carry valuable goods anyway. He also has many status effects from his blades (combined with 'Soul Blade'). The Masamune in particular, with it's 'Death Sentence' is very useful, and can make tedious random encounters a breeze, as well as snuff out Yans, among most other random encounters. Mini from The Tower is also useful, though I don't find it as useful as Death Sentence.

I've never obtained Ultima Weapon, and don't know what effect it has, if any.

But anyway, I still don't really believe he sucks in battle. Most characters you have to have in your party are usually pretty good (Cecil, Cloud, Squall, etc.) to begin with. However, I'd be lying if I said it didn't get boring having him in my party all the time. I'd probably switch him out with Beatrix Steiner or Freya, or maybe even Salamander.

harcesis
08-06-2006, 04:56 PM
zidane iz awesome
enough said

Peter_20
08-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Xurts, what are you talking about?
ONLY 8000 DMG?
That's almost maxed out, ffs! :eek:

Anyway, I liked Zidane.
He was neither extremely good nor extremely bad, but he was definitely up there.
Steal was constantly useful, and Lucky Seven was an exciting Skill: 1 or 7777 DMG? :p

Xurts
08-07-2006, 12:26 AM
At the end of the game, it is absolutely necessary that every character in my party can do 9999, anything less and they are out.

I never use physical attacks anyway. The damage always varies and is usually weaker than skills. So they are no where near a reliable source of damage, especially at the end. Zidane always has to be in my party (except Memoria), and he has no skills that do 9999. Therefore, he is totally useless to me and drags me down in battles.

Also, since it is the end of the game, Zidane's theif skills are totally worthless because there are no more bosses except the final ones. Like I said before, Zidane serves no purpose whatsoever, and he is only there to cripple my party. Thank god I can grab him by the tail and throw his monkey ass out once I get to Memoria. Once he's out, my party becomes Steiner, Eiko, Freya, and Quina. Everyone will then have attacks that do 9999 every time, and Eiko and Quina also double as support characters. Perfect party.

Crossblades
08-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Zidane is an awesome character

kikimm
08-07-2006, 02:00 AM
Why dont you tell us why you keep making these lame topics in all the final fantasy sections?

Chill out. As far as I've seen, there's been nothing wrong with his topics. If you really have a problem with them, warn the thread. Don't make some aggravated, off-topic post about it.

As for me, I like Steiner better. ;) I don't think Zidane was aboslutely terrible, but he was so incredibly boring. Nothing about him stands out. I thought he was predictable as well.

His tail was disgusting too.

Oh hey sup Leeza ;D

Leeza
08-07-2006, 02:01 AM
Wow! We saw this one at the same time kikimm. :)

I know nothing about Zidane because I have not played this game yet. :cat:

Crossblades
08-07-2006, 02:07 AM
What are you waiting for, Leeza? Play this game now!:p

Leeza
08-07-2006, 02:13 AM
I'm playing FFVI and FFVII at the moment. Two at a time is enough. :)

Christmas
08-07-2006, 03:32 AM
Zidane remind of those cute little banana stealing spoiled monkey I met in the zoo. :bigsmile:

Xurts
08-07-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm playing FFVI and FFVII at the moment. Two at a time is enough. :)
I could never do that. It would get way too confusing.

Kefka_Almighty
08-07-2006, 03:58 AM
I loved Zidane as a story character, and I personally think he was probably the best party leader in the series next to Squall. Personally, I thought he was fairly reliable in combat, but that honestly never really matters to me when I want to talk about the character himself/herself, at least in the respect of whether or not I liked the character. I understand the importance of having a strong, useful character, and no offense to anyone who looks at only that when they consider whether or not they like a character, but I find that dull.

Speaking of which.....

At the end of the game, it is absolutely necessary that every character in my party can do 9999, anything less and they are out.

I never use physical attacks anyway. The damage always varies and is usually weaker than skills. So they are no where near a reliable source of damage, especially at the end. Zidane always has to be in my party (except Memoria), and he has no skills that do 9999. Therefore, he is totally useless to me and drags me down in battles.

Also, since it is the end of the game, Zidane's theif skills are totally worthless because there are no more bosses except the final ones. Like I said before, Zidane serves no purpose whatsoever, and he is only there to cripple my party. Thank god I can grab him by the tail and throw his monkey ass out once I get to Memoria. Once he's out, my party becomes Steiner, Eiko, Freya, and Quina. Everyone will then have attacks that do 9999 every time, and Eiko and Quina also double as support characters. Perfect party.

No offense to you, Xurts, but to me that seems kind of.....drab. Like I said, I understand the purpose of liking a character because he/she is a powerful character, but I guess it just bothers me that the only thing you're posts seem to suggest you look at when you look at a character is their statistics and their ability in combat and NOTHING else. Yes, combat, ability, and strength IS an integral part of RPGs, but it's far from being the only integral part. In fact, I find the story of the character and the character's personality to be much more interesting than merely what they can/cannot do within the parameters of the games combat system, and that is what decides it for me.

Not that I"m attempting to dismiss the way you look at characters or insult/offend you, but I just have to say that it seems kind of drab to me and I have to wonder why you play these kinds of games if the actual personalities of the characters and the story apparently (at least from what I can glean from the posts you've made on this thread) means little to nothing for you.

Different strokes, I guess....

Xurts
08-07-2006, 07:18 AM
You're half right. Personality/story/etc. and fighting are two of the things I pay attention to. I look at both aspects, but never at the same time.

I don't consider a character's personality/background/story/etc. when I choose them for my party, since all of that becomes irrelevant when I am fighting an enemy. All that matters is how useful they are in battle. That is only for fighting, however.

The other side I look at is their personality, background, how they fit in with the story, etc., all of that good stuff. I do pay close attention to this. I would be missing out on a lot if I just considered a character's fighting skills and totally disregarded everything else about them.

I know it might seem like I don't care about Zidane's character in my previous posts, but I was just stating my opinion of him battle-wise. His personality is an entirely different thing. I actually don't mind his personality, it's much better than Squall's at least.

Kefka_Almighty
08-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Ah, thank you for clarifying.

I didn't intend to seem like I was attempting to bite your head off, or targeting you (or anyone, for that matter). It's merely the fact that I've known so many people who've considered "role-playing" to mean "stat-maxing", "power-gaming", or "munchkinning" that it's ridiculous and bred a fear in me when anyone says anything resembling those attitudes.

No hard feelings, I hope.

farplaner
08-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Ummm, Xurts? What FFIX are you playing? Every playthrough I've made of IX, any of Zidane's limits do max damage later (not really late) in the game. And thievery, which DOES do max damage can be maxed well within disc 3, if not sooner. Personally I steal A LOT: for rare early equipment, and (for example) ethers from grand dragon, which sell for 1,000 gil each. In my experience it takes longer to level up Quina's frog drop. Somewhere around level 60 (correct me if I'm wrong) you need something like 140 frogs to do max damage.

So in (I guess you could call it) summation: Zidane is a very useful character. As far as favorites though, I would say it's some weird conglomeration of characters....no one character on his/her own offers enough to be my favorite.

Michael Belmont
08-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Terra? no offense Slade but don't go there i'm just a Locke fan who always beleives that the lead male is the real main character.

Lilliputian Hitcher
08-07-2006, 10:19 AM
And you felt the need to bring that up why? He didn't even specifically state that he thought that Terra was 'the' main character from FFVI.

Zidane was a fairly decent protagonist I guess; certainly better than many other main characters in the series (yeah, I know; tough competition). I liked the way that the central protagonist wasn't a swordsman this time around; it added balance and variety to the game that was somewhat lacking in previous installments.

Slade
08-07-2006, 11:01 AM
Yes, that was rather random bringing that up now.......and for the record, I do think Terra is the main character of Final Fantasy VI :)

Crossblades
08-07-2006, 04:12 PM
I agree with Slade:)

Dell
08-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Flair's trance is better than Double White Magic in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, but ET said that before you get to level 99, you have to do something in order to receive their greatest stat (I can't seem to remember what is that something...).

Maxing Thievery is easier than maxing Frog Drop because you have to wait a lot of times, while battling is easier (At least, you can train in battle). In the beginning of the game, he proves to be most useful to you, and his trances already does 9999 damage (for me) in Disc 3.

What do you mean by Vivi's 'badness'? (*Mad*) He can already do 9999 damage if you got Eiko/Dagger to cast Reflect to him (Reflect x2) unless if you don't train him. He was one of the character to be able to do 9999 damage without going on a thousand battles for Dragon Crest, Thievery etc.

Xurts
08-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Kefka_Almighty, nah, it's all good. :)

Yes, Zidane's Dyne skills do 9999, but that is when he is in Trance. For him to be useful to me, I have to have him one hit away from Trance for every battle, or at least just the important ones. That is a horrible waste of time doing, and I would rather spend that time looking for a GameShark code that lets me take out Zidane instead of having to bother with him.

Unfortunately, I did have to fill up his Trance bar to one hit before I fought Ozma. That was a pain. It sucks that Ozma isn't in Memoria. :(

As for the Thievery vs. Frog Drop that a few people brought up, I prefer Frog Drop much more. It does take awhile, but nowhere NEAR the time needed to max Thievery. 140 frogs sounds about right, but I caught 160 just to make sure it does 9999. Plus, this is Quina here. The best overall character in the game.

I never stole anything in the game unless it was during a boss fight. Even then it was annoying because Zidane sucked at it, and it took him forever to actually get something. During boss fights, I do NOT want to sit there and wait for Zidane to steal something. That is not cool.

Dragon Crest is actually very easy to max. Since you will probably fight a lot of Grand Dragons for leveling up. Steiner's Climhazzard/Shock is the easiest, since it maxes out naturally.

Don't even get me started with Vivi. Seriously. I think it would be best if you left him out of this.

Michael Belmont
08-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Hey i disagree we are talking about Zidane not Terra what is it with you? Huh? Do not bring her up again i don't want a flame war do you understand me?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Mike, you're the one who's out of line here. You've got no business derailing the thread to scold someone just for mentioning Terra. Don't do it again.

daggertrepe
08-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Uh, most people here will like Zidane, soooo...yea. :p

Chibi Youkai
08-08-2006, 01:00 AM
I thought Zidane was a great character, because he was different from the nomal that tends to show in Final Fantasy, and he was useful in battle. Maybe it's because I tend to overtrain, but I had no problem with him doing 9999 damage consecutively in a battle. He had his higs and his lows, but overall he was a good, balanced character.

Kefka_Almighty
08-08-2006, 02:45 AM
I never really explained what I voted for Zidane, so I voted that he was a badass, because he is. I mean,look at him ride those vines at the end of the game, and the way he chooses to show up again at the end to woo Garnet. That was hardcore.

Hey i disagree we are talking about Zidane not Terra what is it with you? Huh? Do not bring her up again i don't want a flame war do you understand me?

Uh, dude? You were the FIRST person to switch the conversation over to Terra earlier. Just saying.....

KEKEKEKEK (and with that insane laughter, I recede to the depths of the forum)

Zeromus_X
08-08-2006, 02:46 AM
It's too bad he never does any more of that stuff anywhere else besides the ending.

Kefka_Almighty
08-08-2006, 03:07 AM
Eh, true, but I still liked him and his personality throughout most of the game, except on the third disc after he found out who and what he was and got all mopy and angsty. That REALLY bothers me in video game characters.

STill, of all the main characters, he was probably my favorite.

Materia Hunter Yuffie
08-08-2006, 03:57 AM
I liked his happy personality, very different from Cloud and especially Squall (not dissing them though I liked them.) What he did in the end of the game was pretty cool too. He's definatly in my top five favorites!

Michael Belmont
08-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Hey Kawaii don't defend these people i'm not out of line here. I'm the thread started i can tell someone not to bring someone up so please no flame war.

Zeromus_X
08-08-2006, 02:26 PM
You're the one who brought up Tina, for no apparent reason.

boys from the dwarf
08-08-2006, 04:53 PM
hes good. not the best leader but i guess he has to be the leader. the story just wouldnt work with vivi or steiner or garnet as the leader would it? but usually the lead character isnt a perticularly good leader anyway. squall is good at it but reluctant. cloud is a good leader is a good leader i guess and there not too much wrong about him apart from his past and occasion being possessed by sephiroth/jenova. the leader is usually just the person who fits the job. hmm. i wish i could change my vote to "hes a good leader." because without him theyd all be lost.

Leeza
08-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Hey Kawaii don't defend these people i'm not out of line here. I'm the thread started i can tell someone not to bring someone up so please no flame war.
Michael Belmont, you have been asked by an Administrator to drop something. Then drop it. Being a thread starter actually does not give you the right to tell someone what they can and cannot do. That is the job of moderator. If you have a problem with something, use the warn button.

Could everyone please get back to the topic please and stop discussing who brought what up first? Thank you.

Kurui
08-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Zidane has a tail.. that's prolly the only thing I really like about him :D

farplaner
08-09-2006, 03:15 AM
As for the Thievery vs. Frog Drop that a few people brought up, I prefer Frog Drop much more. It does take awhile, but nowhere NEAR the time needed to max Thievery. 140 frogs sounds about right, but I caught 160 just to make sure it does 9999. Plus, this is Quina here. The best overall character in the game.

Sorry to disagree again...on the same point..., but there is no way thievery takes more time to level up than frog drop, unless you just don't steal. Once you equip bandit, which can be done pretty early, thievery is much more effective. And while trying to steal the good items from bosses can be a huge pain, the first or second steal from most normal monsters is usually successful. A successful steal is all you need to add to thievery's damage, and later, when you get thief gloves, it becomes even more effective. Not to mention that the longer you have items equipped to Zidane that increase the speed stat, the faster he will become, which also increases effectiveness.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :D

I'm playing a file right now (...well not "right now :p "). Thievery does near 7,000 damage, while Frog drop is doing about 3,500, and I check all four swamps frequently.

Xurts
08-09-2006, 08:02 AM
If you leave an adult male and female in a marsh, then catching frogs will go pretty fast. If you wait long enough, you'll get to catch a gold frog, which is worth 4 normal frogs (I think).

Stealing, on the other hand, is only useful during boss fights. Stealing from random enemies just yields normal items that can be easily bought from any shop. I don't know why anyone would bother doing that.

farplaner
08-09-2006, 12:15 PM
If you leave an adult male and female in a marsh, then catching frogs will go pretty fast. If you wait long enough, you'll get to catch a gold frog, which is worth 4 normal frogs (I think).

Stealing, on the other hand, is only useful during boss fights. Stealing from random enemies just yields normal items that can be easily bought from any shop. I don't know why anyone would bother doing that.

Actually, from what I have learned, it's better to leave gold frogs alone as they can breed with male and female frogs- thus regenerating the numbers faster (and yes, I know about leaving a male and female frog).

Why anyone would bother stealing from regular enemies is this: some enemies drop gems, which, when accumulated, boost the power of summon spells- i.e. opal- Shiva; topaz- Ifrit; etc. Of course these gems can be synth'd. at Daguerro (sp?), but many enemies also drop ore, which is needed to synth. other gems. Also, grand dragon, for example, has tents and ESPECIALLY ethers to steal, which aside from being very useful, can be sold for 1,000 gil each.

AdVenT
08-09-2006, 01:17 PM
He rocked, he had a tail for god's sake!

Lindar
12-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Zidane is my favorite FF character ever!!

I love him so much <3 ^_^

He is happy,optimistic and powerful in battle

His Trance is also (In My Opinion) best of the game

and he is a good leader =)

I am new here...hello everyone =)

Your Friend:Lindar

Leeza
12-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Hi Lindar. Welcome to EoFF. :)

You may start another thread on the subject, but please don't post in threads that are this old. Thank you. :cat: