PDA

View Full Version : Origins, why opening fmv isn't Garland

Blank
08-06-2006, 09:51 PM
im sorry, i know, its been said a hundred times, but i think i have evidence nobody's stated before.

this really isn't a spoiler but if you beat the game you can unlock some CG images in a gallery you can look at. images of the guy in the opening FMV are clearly labeled Light Warrior and a CG image of Garland or two are clearly labeled Dark Warrior or soemthing. the CG image of Garland looks just like Garland would as an FMV and it just is him, with titles to support it. thus, the opening fmv guy CANNOT be Garland ever in 2000 years.

that's that. so stop thinking it's garland for god sakes (to those who do, and they're out there...)

Garland
08-07-2006, 03:54 AM
I used to think it was Garland. I still think it looks like Garland, but the crystal and the bonus art changed my mind. I also think the confusion is all Amano's fault. If the cutscene featured a fat Italian plumber with blue overalls and a red shirt and hat with a big M on it, and Amano drew this character and labelled it "light warrior" we'd have half the population saying the FF1 cutscene featured Mario. The truth is, regardless of what Square Enix intended, they have the warrior depicted as Garland. I'll give you that it's labelled as light warrior, and light warrior is how I'll refer to this character, but the knight with a two horned helmet and purple armor is Garland, and the knight with red armor and a visor style minimal helm is the lightwarrior. My oppinion is that Amano and SE screwed up. They could depict Garland, Mario, Luigi, it doesn't matter, only the label makes it a light warrior.

Sefie1999AD
08-07-2006, 05:06 PM
The warrior in the opening FMV is definitely a Light Warrior. We had more discussion about the issue on this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=78695). At first, I think most people were thinking the warrior was Garland, but nowadays, it seems the number of people thinking it's a Light Warrior is increasing.

I thought it was said somewhere that the man was a Light Warrior. Besides, he has a crystal orb, and there's a never a moment in the game where Garland is even close to fighting a dragon. The only thing Garland does is threaten to "knock you all down", but he gets pwned by the Light Warriors. Twice. Twice. Naked. :D

EDIT: When you beat FF1 Origins and get the photo galleries, one of the pictures is called "The Light and the Darkness". It has the man who fought the dragon, and a dark knight standing behind him. My guess would be that the man is the Light Warrior ("The Light") and the dark knight is Garland ("The Darkness"). In addition, if you beat the game twice to get additional photos, there's a picture called "Time Traveler", and it looks like the same dark knight as the one in "The Light and the Darkness" picture. I think this indicates that Garland has his own character art, and he's not the man from the opening FMV.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Welcome to 2003.

chronic_Maniac
08-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Where at in the story is the light warrior? Where did he go? Why isn't he fighting Garland instead?

Zeromus_X
08-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Why on earth would it be Garland? It's a Light Warrior.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-08-2006, 01:49 AM
When that FMV was first revealed, everyone just saw the horns on the helmet and immediately concluded that it was Garland. There were also some people who thought the menacing figure in the FFII FMV was Hilda and not the Emperor. Go figure.

abrojtm
08-08-2006, 05:59 AM
It certainly looks more like the in-game portrayal of Garland, but it really makes no sense story-wise, other than to prove that he was the best swordsman in the land or whatever. He also doesn't really look like any of the classes in FFI. Nevertheless, it's a Light Warrior.

Blank
08-08-2006, 05:52 PM
it truly hurts my brain to know people ARGUE it's garland in the opening fmv. i can't hold it against those who see the horns and immediately think it is, which is innocent, but those who stand by it firmly just give me cancer

Garland
08-08-2006, 10:10 PM
You have to admit, the character bouncing around in your sig looks a lot less like the guy in that CG than the guy walking away in my avatar.

Blank
08-09-2006, 06:49 PM
he's not bouncing around, it's 9 different Warriors, 9 delegates from Coney Island. get with it

and B, i agree

i like the way they made the CG man look like the Amano art for the Warrior and not to look like the in-game-graphic Warrior. i think the Amano art carried alot more seriousness for the first FF since they single handedly made the game, if not the series, what it is

DarkLadyNyara
08-27-2006, 05:52 AM
There were also some people who thought the menacing figure in the FFII FMV was Hilda and not the Emperor. Go figure.

*smacks forehead* Please be kidding. Somehow I don't see Hilda torching her own city. :rolleyes2

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-27-2006, 05:55 AM
Actually, yeah, I had it confused. People were mistaking the Emperor's appearance in the logo for Hilda. But that's still pretty bad.

Sefie1999AD
08-27-2006, 11:29 AM
When that FMV was first revealed, everyone just saw the horns on the helmet and immediately concluded that it was Garland. There were also some people who thought the menacing figure in the FFII FMV was Hilda and not the Emperor. Go figure.

Yes, but I think Garland's horn helmet is almost fully covering his face. You can clearly see the Light Warrior's face in that FMV if I remember correctly. As for the figure in the FFII FMV, I eventually figured out he was the Emperor, although I was confused for a while. I mean, he looked quite young and even feminine. I'd have thought the Emperor would look more menacing than that.