PDA

View Full Version : What games would you say made the best jump to 3D?

KentaRawr!
08-06-2006, 11:26 PM
The topic title explains it all, really.

Personally, I think Mario, Metroid, Prince of Persia, and Metal Gear all made great jumps to 3D. They were all very true to their series's. Sadly though, Mario Sunshine didn't have the same kind of Level Variety earlier games in the series had, Metroid Prime 2 strayed away from the kind of level-design and story earlier games had, and Prince of Persia 2 was teh crapz.

What games do you think made good jumps to 3D?

Cloudstrife4003
08-06-2006, 11:28 PM
I say ffIII made a pretty good jump to 3d

Gnostic Yevon
08-07-2006, 12:08 AM
As far as game type, i'd say action games (like Zelda), and shooters. But I can't think of any 2d shooters for the NES, so ... maybe not shooters.

Platform games and RPGs seem to have declined, the levels aren't as good. In the case of Platformers, the games got way too easy, as in I can mess up a jump without dying or even worrying about it. In the case of RPGs it's not uncommon to have >30 minutes of play time between cut-scenes and have dungeons that are almost impossible to get lost in.

bipper
08-07-2006, 12:18 AM
Freaking mario made the best jump to 2d by far. What do you expect? He IS the king of jump, Van Halen would agree. There are 3d games that still have yet to even touch the sweetness of mario 64 :)

Erdrick Holmes
08-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Sonic. Dispite the fact people buy the crap that Xplay and IGN says about Sonic games going 3D they did rather well.

Polnareff
08-07-2006, 12:33 AM
This is gonna be kind of a "WTF" to some people, but I thought Castlevania, Sonic, and Mega Man made the best jumps to 3D. Castlevania: LoI and the newer one (I forget its name) were pretty damn good 3D games. Mega Man Legends was a fun MM series, even though almost all classic Mega Man references were gone.

Sonic should really explain itself. SA1 and 2 were pretty good. Some complained that other characters were playable, but those same people are the ones who wanted more playable characters anyway.

bipper
08-07-2006, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't say much about castlevania. Their Castlevania 64 was a fairly horrid jump im0.

I do agree with Holmes on the sonic games though.

Necronopticous
08-07-2006, 12:41 AM
Metal Gear is the correct answer.

Shoeberto
08-07-2006, 12:44 AM
I think Sonic was pretty terrible in 3D compared to its earlier games, but that's mostly poor structure as opposed to the idea of it all.

Metroid did it pretty well.

DK
08-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Sonic Adventure DX kicked serious ass. Sonic Heroes was a gigantic failure, though. Metal Gear also did it brilliantly, GTA is much better in the 3D games.

KentaRawr!
08-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Enter Astronite's post here. Seriously, what's up with the quotes lately? o_O

Actually, Lament of Innocence was not the first 3D Castlevania game. I don't know what the first one was, but I know that there was a 3D Castlevania Game for the N64, which I would say was very true to the series, even if the battle system was teh crapz.

Since my first post was basically an introduction post with just a tad of my own commentary, I'll go into more detail here.

Sonic Adventure... Well, personally, I'd say it's at least true to the series, when speaking of the Sonic and Tails stages. The other character's stages, while good, weren't exactly true to the series, and I think the game would have done better if it concentrated on making more stages and having multiple characters able to go through them with just slight differences. Sonic Adventure 2 seemed more like a sequel to Sonic Adventure rather than a pure Sonic Game. True, they got rid of the map and used level by level, but the other Character's stages forced on to the player, and story, while improved over Sonic Adventure 1, had too much spotlight.

The Legend of Zelda made a very good jump to 3D. Ocarina of Time managed to stay true to the series, while still being able to appeal to a newer croud. The game idea was basically the same as A Link to the Past's. You'd go to a dungeon, and within that dungeon get an item that allows you to beat the boss of that dungeon, and manage to get into the next dungeon. But of course, that's how it stayed true to the series. The way I say it makes it sound like rehash, so I apologize for that. But I can assure you: It is not.

Keep in mind though, this post that I made is mostly focussing on how true they are to the series' they are from. I again apologize for sounding a little negative about Ocarina of Time, and I also apologize for sounding negative about Sonic Adventure, as the post gives a false idea on my entire opinion on the games.

Polnareff
08-07-2006, 01:20 AM
There were two N64 Castlevania games. Also, I never said Lament of Innocence was the first 3D Castlevania. I merely said it was a great game that transferred the RPG style of SotN into 3D nicely while in effect changing it up ever so slightly.

Sonic Adventure, I guess, had to have been played right when it came out to be fully appreciated. Now, it's not so great by today's standards.

KentaRawr!
08-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Ah, I see. Sorry about that, Astronite.

Polnareff
08-07-2006, 01:38 AM
That's okay. I think my tone seemed a little hostile in that last post, but know that I wasn't mad or even annoyed.

Metal Gear translated well to 3D, especially in MGS3, which actually had a jungle setting, just like most of MG1. The great gameplay was kept, but the localization was a LOT better than the original games.

Mario translated well to 3D too, but only in SM64, IMO. Sunshine was a slap in the face for people like me who grew up with the old power-jumping, speedy, slightly plump, Koopa-kicking Mario.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Also, Bubsy translated well to 3D. It's probably the best 2D to 3D conversion ever. All the great gameplay and cool characters comes to life in Bubsy 3D.

.......*snickers*..........

Sorry, can't honestly type that with a straight face. xD

Medi
08-07-2006, 01:50 AM
I thought Metroid in 3D was the worst concept ever, and that it would not work out well at all. Oh, how ignorant I was...

Madame Adequate
08-07-2006, 02:21 AM
The game you are looking for is Grand Theft Auto.

PhoenixAsh
08-07-2006, 02:29 AM
I think I gotta go for GTA as well... if only for the 'Holy crap they actually managed to make it in 3d!' factor. I remember when the original came out thinking how awesome it would be if one day they could make everything in 3d... and they did, and very well too.

Worst that I've played is Donkey Kong... I actually liked the 64 version... ish... But it was nothing like the originals.

Markus. D
08-07-2006, 02:34 AM
Donkey Kong 64 <3

that and I think Clay Fighter 63 and a 1/3 done well aswell :]

Rostum
08-07-2006, 03:05 AM
I always thought Mario 64.

ljkkjlcm9
08-07-2006, 04:23 AM
If the animations of Fire Emblem for battles are updated for the Wii version it'll be even better in 3-d but it does look damn good in 3-d already.

But there are the obvious choices, like Mario.

THE JACKEL

Nominus Experse
08-07-2006, 04:34 AM
Take a look at Mario 64 - just peer and experience at how perfectly natural the transition was. It was utterly perfect. When pondering this topic, I can think of no other. Indeed, Mario 64 is the paragon of all that have made a transition into the true 3d enviremont.

Avarice-ness
08-07-2006, 04:38 AM
Zelda all the way.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-07-2006, 06:46 AM
Personally, I think Mario, Metroid, Prince of Persia, and Metal Gear all made great jumps to 3D. They were all very true to their series's. Sadly though, Mario Sunshine didn't have the same kind of Level Variety earlier games in the series had, Metroid Prime 2 strayed away from the kind of level-design and story earlier games had, and Prince of Persia 2 was teh crapz. The first 3D Prince of Persia game wasn't The Sands of Time. It was called Prince of Persia: Arabian Nights, and prettymuch everyone who's played it consents to the view that it sucked.

Sunny Day Suicide
08-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Freaking mario made the best jump to 2d by far. What do you expect? He IS the king of jump, Van Halen would agree. There are 3d games that still have yet to even touch the sweetness of mario 64
:lol: Van Halen

But yeah, Mario has my vote. Zelda comes in 2nd. Metroid is better 2D.

Sonic. Dispite the fact people buy the crap that Xplay and IGN says about Sonic games going 3D they did rather well.Bah. I only liked SA 1 & 2.

KentaRawr!
08-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Ah, you are correct, Kishi. I completely forgot about that game. Thanks for reminding me. :p

Dreddz
08-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Sonic didnt make the best jump into 3D, Sonic 3D blast wasnt great by any means, it was made up for with Sonic Adventure though :)

I'd say Metal Gear and Maximo made a good jump into 3D.....

Skyblade
08-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Mario, Metroid, Final Fantasy (had a very nice jump to 3D graphics), and Legend of Zelda.

Old Manus
08-07-2006, 04:31 PM
The game you are looking for is Grand Theft Auto.This is the correct answer.

JKTrix
08-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Ninja Gaiden. Play it.

Del Murder
08-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Mario, Metal Gear, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest.

BlackWaltz
08-09-2006, 06:14 PM
ahem.....Final Fantasy anyone?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-09-2006, 06:17 PM
FFX was pretty good, I guess.

edczxcvbnm
08-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Bubsy 3D >_<

KentaRawr!
08-09-2006, 06:44 PM
I guess FF, too. There wasn't much of a difference between the 2D and 3D FF games besides the amount of dimensions and how the Story changed. o_o