PDA

View Full Version : Do you change the characters' names?

Zeromus_X
08-07-2006, 01:50 AM
Kain -> Cain
Rydia -> Lydia (just looks prettier)
Tellah -> Tella (meh)
Edward-> Elbert (combination of Edward and Gilbert)

Meat Puppet
08-07-2006, 01:55 AM
I changed my characters' names just about every time I spotted a Namingway. I can't remember what I would change the names to. They were always pretty stupid names, anyway.

Crossblades
08-07-2006, 01:56 AM
I don't change names. I always stick with default names

Nominus Experse
08-07-2006, 02:34 AM
No, I don't ever really change the characters' names, though on certain occassions on a second or third play-thru, I may call them stupid, humorous names, such as: POOP, BEEBOO, Jesus, Me, pr0n, Sirsuksalot, Bush, or things of that sort.

Tempest
08-07-2006, 02:40 AM
I've changed their names a few times in this game but, it never looked right. FFIV is probably the only FF I will never change the names in.

Rengori
08-07-2006, 03:29 AM
No, I never change names in FFIV.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-07-2006, 06:43 AM
Kain -> Cain
Rydia -> Lydia
Tellah -> Tella
Edward -> Gil
FuSoYa -> Fusuya

Darkwing Bahamut
08-07-2006, 08:09 AM
I kept to their default names.

licence
08-07-2006, 03:17 PM
I usually change the main characters name to my name for 2nd play-throughs of most FFs. First play through I stick to default.

Sefie1999AD
08-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I usually don't change their names and just keep the defaults. However, when I played the fan-translated Hard Type, I did the following changes: *prepares to get bashed by Zeromus and Kishi :D*

Cain --> Kain
Gilbert --> Edward
Tella --> Tellah

I'd have changed Golbeze to either Golbez or Golbeza, but he never joins your party, so you can't get to rename him.

MageLuingil
08-07-2006, 04:15 PM
I very rarely change character names in any of these games. I kept all the defaults in FFIV.

The only time I'll change a name is if it has an absolutely horrendous spelling that I can't stand at all (very rare)

cecil+rosa
08-24-2006, 07:38 PM
whats for laughs i put a a in front of cecil to make cecila lol

MasterX
08-31-2006, 10:54 PM
I don't really see the reason of changing names. A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet, unless it was called a dungflower. Seriously, I usuallly don't change the names of characters' names because it ruins the story in my personal opinion.

Eminem's_No.1_Fan
08-31-2006, 10:59 PM
for a joke i changed the names on my friend's copy to dirty words, the only one i can post is

Rosa= Booby

the guy didn't even change them back, i have a strange idea of humour dont i...

Peter_20
08-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Cecil -> FF4
Rydia -> kicks
Edge -> so
Rosa -> much
Kain -> arse

:D

undnce
09-07-2006, 02:22 AM
I don't like to change my name, I like sticking to the story.

Bahamut2000X
09-07-2006, 02:25 AM
I never change thier names, unless I'm really bored. When I was younger I would just change my name in real life for a few days. >.>

Oh the looks on my teachers faces when I told them my new name was Palom. XD

Sephex
09-07-2006, 03:15 AM
I used to do it when I was a kid, but only to the "final party".

Cecil- Aragon
Kain- Sarian
Rydia- Valkri
Rosa- Kirita
Edge- Samuri

I just keep the default ones now.

Sefie1999AD
09-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Cecil- Aragon

That gave me an idea of LotR-based names:

Cecil - Aragon
Kain - Bormir
Rosa - Arwen
Rydia - Eowyn
Tellah - Teoden
Edward - Farmir (or Frodo)
Palom - Pippin (Merry could also do, but I think Pippin messes around more)
Porom - ??? (wasn't Rosie the hobbit girl? she could do)
Yang - Leglas
Cid - Gimli
Edge - Eomer
FuSoYa - Gandal

Choosing between Theoden and Gandalf for Tellah and FuSoYa was quite tough, and so was choosing Legolas and Eomer for Yang and Edge. The Ninjas of Eblan are specially trained people, and so are elves, so I could have named Edge Legolas, but I eventually thought that Edge's rash personality isn't like Legolas'.

feioncastor
10-10-2006, 01:39 AM
I changed Cecil's name to "BALLS", a long time ago, when I was very young and very immature. Nothing interesting came of it until Golbez sent Kain to kill Cecil, and Kain said to Rosa, "I'll show you that I'm better than your sweet BALLS!"

NINJA_Ryu
10-10-2006, 04:23 AM
Heh, i like a cid-gimli ^ ^

but i concur with the others

stick to default first time, change the next few times

Nerevarine
11-06-2006, 01:27 AM
wow thats wierd, i change rydia to lydia too cuz i dont like to of my characters with the same first letter of there name (rosa and rydia).

guess im a little bit of a nerd but o well

The Unknown Guru
11-06-2006, 02:48 AM
I like naming everybody Cecil. Even better, :skull::skull::skull::skull:.

Oh, and Edward is always Ed.

Martyr
11-06-2006, 03:20 AM
I changed everybody's names the first time I realized that it was an option.

But then I changed them back, except for Cecil, because I don't like the name. I also renamed Yang. He looks blacker than he looks Asian, so I give him the obscure name "Tyson" after one of the best boxers with a short friggin' reach of the 20th century.

feioncastor
11-06-2006, 05:58 AM
Did anyone else think it's funny when you talk to the people in the beds at the infirmery (I think in Giott's castle), and one guy says "G..Golbez", and the next says, "They even have monsters on their side...", and then you're expecting something else all depressing, but the next guy says, "Would you like to change your name?"

Freaking Namingway.

DarkLadyNyara
11-06-2006, 11:34 PM
I go with the defaults. The only exception is when I'm playing a translated ROM. And then, it's changing it to the english names.

Captain Maxx Power
11-07-2006, 01:32 PM
I usually change Cecil to Maxx just for sheer prosperity since I'm saving the world, dammit, not them!

Evastio
11-07-2006, 11:40 PM
I never changed the names except for this one time on the SNES Version.

Cecil: Sugar
Kain: I can't remember
Rydia: Name
Tellah: Slave
Edward: Nobody (I hope Maxx won't get mad. I don't hate Edward)
Rosa: Mmm...
Yang: !!!!!!
Palom: Oh
Porom: Snap
Cid: I can't remember
Edge: I can't remember
FuSoYa: Rocks!

You need to play through the FFII SNES Version to find out why I chose these names.

ImAFarmer
11-13-2006, 02:53 AM
Fusoya:SoYaBeans
Cecil:Turd
Rydia:Bahamuter

I didn't bother with anyone else

Aqua Mage
02-04-2007, 05:15 AM
Cecil - Licec
Kain - Naik
Rydia - Aidyr
Rosa - Asor
Tellah - Hallet
Edward - Drawde
Edge - Egde
Yang - Gnay
Cid - Dic
Porom - Morop
Palom - Molap
FuSoYa - Ayosuf

I don't know why, but I find that hilarious. o.o

Dr. Acula
02-04-2007, 09:37 AM
I don't usually change their names, but here are their names in my latest game:

Cecil: DKnite/Paldin (stupid 6 letter names)
Kain: Dragon
Rosa: WMage
Rydia: Caller
Tellah: Sage
Edward: Bard (or Spoony)
Palom: B. Wiz
Porom: W. Wiz
Yang: Monk
Cid: Engine
Edge: Ninja
FuSoYa: haven't got him yet (can't get past Rubicant) but I'll probably name him Lunarn or something.

Oh, and once I named Cecil Wally. It seemed to suit him.

Zeromus
02-04-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't like when people change the names of the characters, it's something similar to that thing about the new names of the Sabin's abilities in the FF6A, but i thinks it's ok when people change the names for the japanesse ones, or maybe for something creative...
But i've seen people changing the names of my beloved characters to some stupid names of some stupid popular singer or some girly-face actor!... i felt really bad when i saw that, what a shallow mind...!

Dr. Acula
02-06-2007, 05:12 AM
But i've seen people changing the names of my beloved characters to some stupid names of some stupid popular singer or some girly-face actor!... i felt really bad when i saw that, what a shallow mind...!

Maybe I should call Cecil Britney or something next time? :rolleyes2

UltimateSpamGrover
02-06-2007, 06:34 AM
I keep default names.