PDA

View Full Version : How to transfer PS2 saves to a PS3.

KentaRawr!
08-07-2006, 03:59 AM
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/about.html Question 11

"To use saved data on a PlayStation 2 memory card, you must copy the data onto a virtual memory card within the hard disk. This requires a PS2/PSone memory card adaptor to copy the data to your PLAYSTATION 3. A memory card adaptor is designed to edit, up/download game saves to and from EMS flash card or smart media card."

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/8/6/4889

"August 06, 2006 @ 2:38PM - posted by Ben Kuchera
Adaptor will let you use your PS2 memory card on the PS3. What else will it do?

If the PS3 is able to pull off flawless backwards compatibility of both prior PlayStation systems, it will be a large selling point for a system that needs all the help it can get to justify its own price. They've now gone to a hardware solution for PS2 compatibility, and I think there are enough people with old or failing PS2 systems to make that a big draw. What about the memory card though, are you going to lose all of your saves? Will you be able to use your PS2 card on your PS3? The answer Sony came up will make many gamers happy while making sure Sony has something else to sell you with the system.

You're going to be able to purchase an adaptor to move your PS2 memory card data to an EMS flash card or a smart media card and then put them into a virtual memory card on the PS3's hard drive. What grabbed me was the fact that the Sony's official site says you can also edit your game saves, which is an interesting feature. This leaves a lot of room for cheating devices and the trading of saved games over the Internet. If you remember that one of the first soft mods for the Xbox came from a saved game of an EA title, you start to see why editing that data may be a boon for enterprising gamers."

Yeah, we can't quote as of right now. :mad2:

So, what do you think? We get to buy an adaptor. :cool: While I am disappointed by the extra item required, I think this is a pretty cool way to transfer the save files. A virtual memory card on the hard-drive is certainly a good idea. :D What do you guys think of this?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-07-2006, 06:39 AM
I think it's awesome, of course.

Sunny Day Suicide
08-07-2006, 06:41 AM
That's pretty cool.

edczxcvbnm
08-07-2006, 06:58 AM
This is a good idea because memory cards will not last forever. They will eventually die.

Tasura
08-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Nifty.

Nominus Experse
08-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Sounds both intriguing and perfect.

farplaner
08-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Give me a break!:mad: Perfect!?

The bottom line- Sony: "can we make more money $$$???"

My PS1 save data works fine!! on my PS2...

I wouldn't sound so annoyed if all previous posters weren't saying "this is so awesome, and there is nothing at all bad about this awesome decision......it's so awesome!"

Nominus Experse
08-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Perhaps I ought to clarify:

I menioned perfect because of the idea that we could continue to have our memory saves and whatnot - not the method in which it is done. One could argue which way is best and so forth, but being able to transfer data like that, edit it, etc... is a welcome sight.

Perhaps the word perfect was not the most fitting word to be had... My apologies.

Reine
08-07-2006, 08:59 AM
What about PS1 Memory Cards? They compatible with the PS3 using that system?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Yes (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152668).

DynasticJam
08-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Can you still use your PS2 memory card to load up game saves? Instead of saving it to the hard drive?

Mirage
08-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Am I the only one that gets bombarded with advertisements and downloads when reading user comments on that 1up site?

And well, it's better than nothing, but I'd prefer that it was included with the PS3.

Cz
08-07-2006, 01:18 PM
It's a good idea, provided the price is reasonable.

Mirage
08-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Sony never have reasonable prices :].

Dreddz
08-07-2006, 03:26 PM
The adapter should be between 10-30$, not really unreasonable....

f f freak
08-07-2006, 07:02 PM
It should be free with the PS3 if it's not already going to be.

MageLuingil
08-07-2006, 07:11 PM
It should be free with the PS3 if it's not already going to be.
Agreed. Sony doesn't really need to make this thing any more expensive for us.

Maxico
08-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Give me a break! Perfect!?

The bottom line- Sony: "can we make more money $$$???"

My PS1 save data works fine!! on my PS2...

I wouldn't sound so annoyed if all previous posters weren't saying "this is so awesome, and there is nothing at all bad about this awesome decision......it's so awesome!"

This is by far the best way Sony could handle this.

The harddrive and the ability to download file that would be far greater than the memory cards storage capacity has rendered memory cards obsolete.

They could build memory slots into the PS3, but as you would theoretically use it only once to transfer your save states, it would be a waste of space, time and effort.

They could package it with the PS3, but that doesn't take people who didn't own a PS2 and don't have any save states to transfer.

This way, if you have no need to transfer save states, you don't have to pay anything extra.

However, if you do, that option is open to you.

If you have a better solution to this problem, I'd like to hear it.

Mirage
08-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I do, but it's kinda too late now. They should have used more widely used memory card standard, like the Memory Sticks they seem to be using for everything else they make. If they had done that with PS2, it'd be no problem, cause the PS2 apparently has Memory Stick slots anyway.

Erdrick Holmes
08-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Oh great, Sony wants more of your money. Rather than making a slot for memory cards, like the Wii probably will since it's been confirmed to work with Gamecube controllers, memory cards, and games right out of the box, you gotta go buy another stupid converter device which probably costs at least 30 bucks.

KentaRawr!
08-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Oh great, Sony wants more of your money. Rather than making a slot for memory cards, like the Wii probably will since it's been confirmed to work with Gamecube controllers, memory cards, and games right out of the box, you gotta go buy another stupid converter device which probably costs at least 30 bucks.

On the other hand, after you transfer the data, you get to use the hard drive as your Memory Card. :D

Old Manus
08-07-2006, 10:18 PM
What? A PS3 thread that isn't complaining?

Dignified Pauper
08-07-2006, 10:38 PM
This is a good idea because memory cards will not last forever. They will eventually die.

so do harddrives

Yamaneko
08-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Not everyone getting a PS3 will have had a PSOne or PS2, so including a legacy memory card slot would have been a waste of money, ultimately adding to the manufactuing cost of the motherboard. This way people with memory cards can play their old saves for a reasonable price. $20-$30 is a reasonable pirce for an accessory in my opinion. And those that don't need this feature do not have to spend extra money on it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I'd gladly play thirty dollars or more to put all my two dozen or so memory cards' worth of PS and PS2 data in one place.

Yamaneko
08-07-2006, 11:23 PM
That's crazy, man.

Rengori
08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
So um, can I like take my save files to a friend's house if I want to play a game there?

KentaRawr!
08-08-2006, 12:04 AM
So um, can I like take my save files to a friend's house if I want to play a game there?

Just hook it up to the power and the T.V. and the PS3 will start up in no time. :tongue:

To be serious though, it has a virtual memory card within the hard-drive, so I think you'll be able to take the data from the virtual hard-drive to a PS2 Memory Card. Unless Sony hates us. >;[

Mirage
08-08-2006, 04:27 AM
They do :D.

Rengori
08-08-2006, 05:25 AM
You've lost me Ken.

farplaner
08-09-2006, 02:46 AM
To Nominus and Maxico: I am humbled.

Still, anything that means more money over the already high (justifiable or not) price for the PS3 gives me a headache, but seeing as it will probably be 2 or 3 years after its release before I buy one, I'll stop bitching about the PS3....for now. ;)

KentaRawr!
08-09-2006, 02:50 AM
You've lost me Ken.

Why do you say that, Rengori? o.o If it's about the saving stuffs, here's just a quick explanation.

First, you have the PS3. A handly little device that, according to Sony, people will buy even if it doesn't have games. ;) With the PS3 comes a HardDrive, and one of the folders in it is the Virtual Memory Card. This is used for PS1 and PS2 game saves. If you want to put save files from Ps1 and Ps2 Memory Cards into this Virtual Memory Card, you need to buy the adaptor, which costs roughly $15000 US. Then, you'll be able to plug regular Memory Cards into the PS3. Then, while going through Menu's, you can copy or move the data from the Memory Card to the Hard Drive.

Rengori
08-09-2006, 02:55 AM
That seems like far more hassle than necisary.

KentaRawr!
08-09-2006, 05:10 AM
I wouldn't say it's a hassle. You just copy the data. :tongue:

Edit: And buy an adaptor for roughly $15000 US.

Malboro_Menace
08-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Sounds like a good idea. It is a little to much hassle but only some stupid fat bastard, too lazy to get of his ass wouldn't do it.

Or someone without PS1 and PS2 data...

Lionx
08-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I find it lame you have to pay more for this. 600 is already alot, and one of the benefits of a Memory Card is that i can transfer save data to someone else, like i dont bring my entire console to my friend's, just my card and perhaps game. Getting an adaptor to do that is retarded.

farplaner
08-09-2006, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't say it's a hassle. You just copy the data.

Edit: And buy an adaptor for roughly $15000 US.

Ken, that figure can't be right. $15,000 is about 25 times!! the price of the PS3 itself... that's a pretty damn rough estimate :tongue:

Shoden
08-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Well, my days of torture with a faulty bitch of a PS2 will be at an end once I get this.

MageLuingil
08-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Well, my days of torture with a faulty bitch of a PS2 will be at an end once I get this.

Yeah, now you'll have a faulty bitch of a PS3 :tongue:

I guess I can understand their reasoning for not including the memory slots in the PS3 by default, and I can live with that. But I still think that it'd be more convenient if we could just plug in the memory card and go...