PDA

View Full Version : When Playing Video Games...

DynasticJam
08-07-2006, 10:57 AM
So, when you guys play on a big game like Final Fantasy, do you put all your time and effort into that one game, or do you play several other games at the same time? The reason why I ask this is because I've got the whole summer holidays to play games, I am currently playing Final Fantasy X once again, however, would it be a good idea to play another Final Fantasy game at the same time? Thanks.

Meat Puppet
08-07-2006, 11:39 AM
I think you would get the most enjoyment out of a game like Final Fantasy by only playing one at a time.

Ryth
08-07-2006, 11:41 AM
I'd play only one game at a time. It's more enjoyable that way.

Sefie1999AD
08-07-2006, 12:12 PM
I usually play one game at a time. Even that seems to take forever to me these days (FFIVA took me eight months to beat, about 37 hours according to the game clock). Playing several games at a time would end up with me having loads of unfinished games, and most likely each save game would be in a tougher position where continuing the game requires more effort, not to mention I'll have forgotten what was going on in the game. :p

KentaRawr!
08-07-2006, 12:54 PM
I tried to play several games at once, but I ended up dumping the other game and I never played it again. ... twice... naked.

Slothy
08-07-2006, 12:56 PM
I usually play several games at a time, but I only finish games when I play one at a time. I usually start with several and end up sticking with whatever one I want to play the most until it's done, and then either moving on to one of the others, or not even finishing them. Usually the one I don't finish I just don't really need to finish though. I get my few hours enjoyment and that's enough.

Mirage
08-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Depends. If i'm just level grinding, I can do that with two games at the same time.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Nah, I like to play two games. Right now I'm playing The Longest Journey and System Shock 2.

I wouldn't play two similar games (like two Final Fantasy games) at the same time though.

I Am Stoner
08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
If im playing an RPG like Neverwinter Nights or Baldurs Gate, I don't really play any other games. If im playing DMC or FF then I love to get on the old mega drive and kick the hell out of some thugs on Streets Of Rage 2. Espectially when FF pi**es me off. Man, the oldschool are some of the best.

Twisted Tinkerbell
08-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I still have my mega drive, no idea if it still works, I should find out... anyway, I play a few games at once, especially if I'm training characters up on ff.

Dreddz
08-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Im usually on 2 games on the go, its usually on a console and a handheld :)

Agent Proto
08-07-2006, 03:35 PM
If I'm playing an RPG, I usually spend most of my gaming time to that game, occasionally playing a few other non-RPG games once in awhile.

Tavrobel
08-07-2006, 03:36 PM
I usually focus on one game at a time. It's hard to play Starcraft and Warcraft III simultaneously.

Cruise Control ^_^
08-07-2006, 03:37 PM
I play three. A game on the PS2, one on the GBA, and a ROM. However, one of these usually takes priority and gets played three times as much.

MageLuingil
08-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I try to only play one game at a time, because otherwise, I'm likely to quit both (or all) of the ones I'm playing. Often I'll play like a handheld and a console game at the same time, just because I can play the handheld at times I can't play the console.

Sefie1999AD
08-07-2006, 03:54 PM
I usually focus on one game at a time. It's hard to play Starcraft and Warcraft III simultaneously.

That reminds me, I was once trying to play both Red Alert and StarCraft simultaneously, and that was really confusing since Red Alert has the move and attack commands based on the left click while StarCraft has them on the right click. I kept clicking the wrong button really often with the games. Nowadays, I can play Red Alert 2, Command & Conquer Generals and WarCraft 3 almost simultaneously, though I still mess up with some of the hotkeys.

Madame Adequate
08-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I only play one game per console at a time. On PC I'm more varied - currently I'm playing Dawn of War, Diablo 2, and World of Warcraft on the PC, replaying Suikoden V on the PS2, Skies of Arcadia on the DC, and I have nothing going on the XBox right now, though I fire up DoA2 occasionally to keep my edge.

Roto13
08-07-2006, 06:04 PM
I usually have two or three games going at once, at least one always being a handheld game.

Breine
08-07-2006, 06:04 PM
I always play one game at a time mainly because I can invest myself more into the game this way, but with games like Final Fantasy I really think it's important to concentrate and get deeply into the game... You'll enjoy it more this way.

JKTrix
08-07-2006, 06:17 PM
I believe in video game polygamy.

Of course, since I play so many games "at the same time", I hardly finish any of them. It's terrible. I need to lock myself away somewhere for a month or so so I can't get new games. Force myself to either finish my old games, or get rid of them. I would love to be able to focus on one or two games at a time.

Yuffie514
08-07-2006, 08:47 PM
i would often spend a minimum of a week, playing a new game that i have bought. i don't play it 24-7, but about 6 - 8 hours. this constant play also gives away hint to my parents that i'm still playing video-games, despite the age. i'll never stop loving what i almost spent my entire childhood on...

SuperNatural
08-07-2006, 10:18 PM
When I am playing a big game like Final Fantasy, Zelda, or and other long RPG/adventure game, I devote my time to that one game. I tried playing FFX, Xenosaga, Legaia 2, and Kingdom Hearts at the same time when I first got them a while back, and I was under all this pressure to complete these games that I just got pissed off and said "screw it" and gave up on all the games. Though I came back to Final Fantasy X and beat it 2 1/2 years later. I started a new game in KH after, got up to Tarzan and realized the sad truth: I hate this game. So I quit that, got Final Fantasy IV Advance and am currently playing that (though, I started a new game in FFX and I'm on Yunalesca). After I beat that, I may go back to Legaia 2 since Legaia 1 is my favorite RPG of all time.

Markus. D
08-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Depends.... I dont mind a game thats frustrating, and a game to vent my frustration on at the same time.

so I cant ve nt my frustration and go back to the frustrating game.

Mo-Nercy
08-08-2006, 03:33 AM
It depends on what game it is, really.

Sure, when a new FF comes out, I tend to stop everything and focus on that only. But the rest of the time, I'll juggle 2 or 3 games without too much of a problem.

Right now I'm playing Tales of Phantasia (just on my laptop, when I have a spare hour at uni and all my friends are in class), Tekken 5 (I play at home to practice for the arcades), Dynasty Warriors 5 Xtreme Legends (although I'm in one of those "I just died so I'm not going to play this for a while" slumps) and Burnout 3 (just started a new profile).

These games aren't very deep though. It's about my 5th replay on ToP so I don't have to focus all that hard. I know I'm never going to get any better at T5 :(. DW5XL is designed for brain-dead button-mashers and Burnout 3 is just senseless destruction. I remember when I played Golden Sun and Tales of Phantasia (both for the first time) together and I got Cless and Isaac confused almost every time I booted up either game. :eep:

Materia Hunter Yuffie
08-08-2006, 05:31 AM
usually one at a time. But right now 2 because i've already spoiled them.

Zeromus_X
08-08-2006, 05:39 AM
I generally focus on one game at a time. :cat:

Twilight Edge
08-08-2006, 09:19 AM
One.It's hard to play Maple Story and DotA at the same tiome especially when I'm now doing party quests in Ludibrium and I'm just halfway through mastering Razor the Lightning Renevant.