PDA

View Full Version : Would you want to live forever?

lovehurts
08-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Well it is pretty straight forward. Someday I bet it will be possible to live double lives and maybe even infinite lives.

Rengori
08-07-2006, 08:57 PM
No, I wouldn't want to live forever.

CRAPTASTIC AVENGER
08-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Not really.... Well I guess I do, I would like to be reincarnated or I'd like to be one of those people who EVERYONE knows and remembers their names, you know, Change the world.
or doninate it:D

Shiny
08-07-2006, 08:59 PM
I love living, but living forever would mean I would watch all my love ones dieing and then I'd be lonely without them. Sort of like Tom Hank's character in the movie Green Mile.

fallen_angel9000
08-07-2006, 09:01 PM
it be nice to live forever, but only if ur friends, family, and loved ones got to live forever with u. other than that, i'd rather die.

Yuffie514
08-07-2006, 09:01 PM
absolutely. that's my next stop for the next life, and i'm not talking about Buddhist reincarnation...

I Took the Red Pill
08-07-2006, 09:02 PM
No I would not. <strike>Dull's</strike> Shiny's explanation matches mine.

scrumpleberry
08-07-2006, 09:03 PM
If all my friends and family would, ya. As long as that means the effect of aging is nullified, otherwise after about 110 years it would be constant pain.

Nominus Experse
08-07-2006, 09:05 PM
It depends on the circumstances of me living forever.

If I were to live forever upon this earth, no, I would not chose to live forever. However, if I were able to continue a sort of consciousness after my physical death (a next-life, so to say) WITH my lover, than I would chose to live for eternity.

If it does not conform to my wishes, I would not wish to live forever, for although I respect and enjoy my space and time being alone, I would not want such a thing for all eternity.

Alive-Cat
08-07-2006, 09:06 PM
No, certainly not. I would hate that. :(

Twisted Tinkerbell
08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
I would hate to live forever

Necronopticous
08-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Yes, I want to live forever, no matter how many friends I have to watch die. I'd kill them myself if it meant living forever.

SammieBabe
08-07-2006, 09:08 PM
I don't think so, no...

rubah
08-07-2006, 09:18 PM
after reading something yesterday on this very subject, I would have to give a vehement no.

lovehurts
08-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Wow only one person would want to live forever. Interesting.

Anaisa
08-07-2006, 09:27 PM
It depends what you mean by life forever. Do you mean live forever in this world? Or does live forever also include living on in a life after this one somewhere else? An before I made a decision on the matter, I'd have to know if living forever meant being eternally youthful, because I certainly wouldn't want to live forever looking like an old hag.

lovehurts
08-07-2006, 09:28 PM
Ok say it was earth and it was like highlander. Any of you ever see highlander? It's like that.Highlander, a movie.

Anaisa
08-07-2006, 09:30 PM
I haven't seen highlander.

lovehurts
08-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Highlander, he lives forever at like 30 years old. In his 30's and doesnt get older physically in demise just gets older and stays in the same health.

Hambone
08-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Not at all. I already dislke the world and all of it's HATE.

Anaisa
08-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Earth is far too unstable an uninteresting for me to want to live here forever. Before I made a decision to stay on earth, I'd have to know what Earth's future was. An if my freinds, family, an pets, could live there with me forever. If there was an afterlife that I could go to instead, that was better, I'd choose that. Although if there was no life after death, then I'd opt to stay on Earth. As long as my family, etc, could stay with me.

Tavrobel
08-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Let's look at it this way, would you rather be fated to live until the end of the world, sharing in every single pain and injustice brought to the world, for the sake of being able to say "Ohh, I remember when it was like that," doomed to forget, or be forgotten as you go throughout the remainder of time, doing only for the sake of doing, perhaps fighting some losing battle, and to watch your loved ones leave you, not knowing when you will reunite?

Or would you rather be tied to the world for a short time, to have a lasting, even if unnamed impact on, directly or indirectly throughout the years? To be another one of the crowd, whose voice is the loudest, and to have people cry because they have lost something dear to them, namely you. Maybe there's hope that there's some afterlife after all.

I find it ironic; those who get to live on forever want to be mortal, to not have the responsibility entitled to them any longer. And those who know they will reach an end get greedy and want to live on, even if it means sullying their accomplishments.

I'd rather live forever.

feona17
08-07-2006, 10:09 PM
I'd have to watch everyone I know die. Watch the world descend into more and more turmoil. I'd rather use the time given to me, and make use of it. Life would get boring afterwards.

Miriel
08-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Yes, I want to live forever, no matter how many friends I have to watch die. I'd kill them myself if it meant living forever.

Holy crap, man. o_O

I would not want to live forever, no.

licence
08-07-2006, 10:16 PM
I wouldn't want to live forever. I don't think I would be able to keep my sanity watching all of my loved ones dying, wave after wave. Also, wouldn't your body be pretty knakcered by the time you reach old age in a normal lifetime. So living with a frail body for centuries is a no.

Madame Adequate
08-07-2006, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't necessarily want to live forever, but I do want to - and I intend to - live until there's nothing left for me in this existence, which could be construed as forever.

As usual, most opinions in this presume it is possible only in a static environment, and that nobody else will live forever. In reality, we're going to have the biotech to extend our lifespans immensely (To at least hundreds, likely thousands, of years), likely by the end of the 20s, and the nanotech to live forever, likely by the end of the 30s or the mid 40s. We will all be able to live forever, as long as we make it to the halfway mark of this century, barring some vast planetary catastrophe.

Additionally to this, if you lived forever, the lack of FTL travel would be trivial. You could get into a modern spacecraft and travel at very low speeds to other stars, worlds, even galaxies. Because, what's a thousands, or a million years, to someone who lives forever? If we have no way to go around c in pure physical terms, we'll go around it by outlasting it.

McLovin'
08-07-2006, 10:19 PM
I'd want to live for a long time, but not forever. :-)

Shin Gouken
08-07-2006, 10:22 PM
It'd be seriously cool to live forever.... you would get to do everything and see everything. And as for "once youve seen and done everything... then what?" well doing things the second time is still fun. And a third and forth time. You would have the oppertunity to meet people, be friends with people and love people who you would never get the chance to meet, befriend or love if you were mortal.

Madame Adequate
08-07-2006, 10:25 PM
The statement "Once you've seen and done everything, then what?" also rests on the presumption that nothing new will ever happen, which seems to be the basis for most of the rejections of immortality.

The world changes. And I probably own more entertainment media than I could actually digest in one lifetime already. More is being produced hourly. Several thousand years of the stuff already exists.

daggertrepe
08-07-2006, 10:27 PM
What would life be if you didn't die? What would you live for? The whole point of life (In my opinion) is to show Jesus, our lord, that we are worthy of going to heaven, and we have to prove that through out our cycle, I believe.

Please don't start a religious quarrel because of that. If you don't believe, don't comment, please. :)

Shin Gouken
08-07-2006, 10:28 PM
A thousand years ago we couldnt fly... or jump out of a plane.... in a thousand years we may be taking holidays on mars o_0

Madame Adequate
08-07-2006, 10:33 PM
A hundred years, tops. In a thousand years we'll have reprogrammed the very matter of the universe to our own desires.

I disagree with *~Dagger Trepe~*, not because of objecting to her religion but simply to say that I'm quite certain a being as powerful as God would be capable of bringing you before him to face your eternal judgement sooner or later, and that there's already vast differences in the lifespans of many people - some live to be more than 100, some less than a month. Why do some people get so much longer to prove their worth (Or alternatively, why must some people fight temptation for so much longer)?

To answer the questions "What would life be if you didn't die? What would you live for?"

If our society seems more nihilistic than that of previous eras, perhaps this is simply a sign of our maturity as a sentient species. As our collective consciousness expands beyond a crucial point, we are at last ready to accept life's fundamental truth: that life's only purpose is life itself.

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang
"Looking God in the Eye"

Cz
08-07-2006, 10:35 PM
I think so. I don't believe that my soul will continue to exist after death, and when nothingness is the alternative, the circumstances would have to be pretty extreme for me to turn down eternal life. Like Mr. MILF says, society is constantly advancing, and just keeping up would be difficult enough for an immortal being. Unless civilisation comes to a very abrupt halt, there's very little chance of seeing everything that this planet (and indeed, others planets) has to offer. And if that did happen, you could always go around insulting every living being in alphabetical order. :D

Yamaneko
08-07-2006, 10:42 PM
No. Good thing I won't too!

daggertrepe
08-07-2006, 11:21 PM
That's true...I don't know. But I know that God's out there somewhere...

Jess
08-07-2006, 11:21 PM
No. It'd be horrible to watch everybody that I loved die and then have to continue my life alone. Eeee. :(

Avarice-ness
08-07-2006, 11:26 PM
When people say they would be sad that all their love one's would die and they would be sad, they keep forgetting you can love people again. But no, I wouldn't want to live forever. People live to die. So you would live your life to the best, if you couldn't die, life would be a waste of time, eventually you would have no reason to live, then the thought that you couldn't die no matter how much you would want to escape would destroy you.

And you would only get to live longer with that torment.

:greenie:

MageLuingil
08-07-2006, 11:49 PM
I disagree with all the people saying they will only live if their friends and family can. In my opinion, half the point of life (besides what *~Dagger Trepe~* said) is that we don't know what will happen. Every day is new, different things happen every day, and it is these variations that make life worth living, even if those variations include friends and family dying. Some of you seem to want to live forever, but in a static world in which nothing changes. In my opinion, that takes out the whole point of life altogether.

On that note, I would not want to live forever. Not because I would miss family and friends, but because I don't believe I would enjoy an endless existence in this world. Sure, it'd be nice if life were a little longer, but infinite? No thanks.

Medi
08-07-2006, 11:54 PM
I'd only want to live forever if everyone close to me could also live forever.

Fate Fatale
08-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Nope, It'd be too irritating.. I'd rather end it as soon a humanly possible. Too many annoying people that just seem to be getting worse.

Twisted Tinkerbell
08-08-2006, 12:30 AM
I've been thinking about this (no idea why this thread over all the others stuck in my mind), if I can live forever with someone, then I'd do it. And I know who it would be with.

Vaincast
08-08-2006, 12:33 AM
I would want to be immortal if my life goes well (which isn't really), but if everything is all ruined...yeah I'll kill myself instead

Madame Adequate
08-08-2006, 12:40 AM
No. It'd be horrible to watch everybody that I loved die and then have to continue my life alone. Eeee.

I reiterate; when immortality actually comes around, it's not going to be just one person who sees use of it, barring a worldwide totalitarian state. You wouldn't have to watch everyone around you die, because they will also live forever.

People live to die.

That's... a completely bizarre viewpoint. People live to live.

AdVenT
08-08-2006, 12:42 AM
No, why would anyone wanna go through this hell forever?

Madame Adequate
08-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Oh, and all the people saying "Why would anyone want to live forever, one life is already too much and terribly, terribly painful and I'm like a woman who messed with Sir Topham Hat's kool-aid and chicken is how much it hurts", you ARE aware that you can ALREADY end this depthless suffering, yes?

lovehurts
08-08-2006, 12:45 AM
milf please cheer up, we love you.:)

AdVenT
08-08-2006, 12:45 AM
If you mean suicide then that's outta the question fer me, I'd rather not get on god's bad side:p

Decessus
08-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Forever suffering. Everlasting pain. Infinite torment. Immortal.

Immortality, doesn't mean... Invincibility.

Immagine... Crushed by a rock, and being paralyzed... You can't move, you're just a vegetable, laying on your bed. Forever. Or maybe, a disease, one that eats away at you, and causes you suffering. Suffering you cannot stop. Until your just a skellaton, unable to move. They lay you in your coffin, unknowing of your living, and you live the rest of eternity, alone, deep in the darkness.

Horrific. Terrifying. Frightening. Immortality.

Madame Adequate
08-08-2006, 12:52 AM
If you're immortal, but not invulnerable, it means you can still die from injuries, illnesses, and so forth.

Decessus
08-08-2006, 12:55 AM
The point of immortality is living forever. It means you don't die.

JackNapier
08-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Well if it meant always being in good health and not aging, sure. Although it would have it's downfalls.

Arrianna
08-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Well it is pretty straight forward. Someday I bet it will be possible to live double lives and maybe even infinite lives.
Highlander, he lives forever at like 30 years old. In his 30's and doesnt get older physically in demise just gets older and stays in the same health. So we are talking everyone simply no longer aging? Yes, I would like that very much. Sure there's still a chance at dying, accidents happen, but there are so many things I want to do in my life I just don't see that I'll have enough time to do them all. It would be nice to be able to make a list and check them off. 20 years as an Opera singer. Another 20 as a painter. Lets see... what's left? Everything! And now I have the time! Awsome!

LunarWeaver
08-08-2006, 02:15 AM
Yes, I would want to live forever. I'd do a whole list of horrible things to get immortality too. Except kill a kitty, that's just overboard :cry:

Odaisé Gaelach
08-08-2006, 02:26 AM
Err... maybe. I don't know.

As long as I live past sixty, then I think that I would be happy enough.

Zeromus_X
08-08-2006, 02:36 AM
Suffering ends at a point. I'd prefer to keep it that way. (Unless MILF's predictions are true, but I'm not so faithful in humanity as he is.)

Materia Hunter Yuffie
08-08-2006, 02:47 AM
No, I would not want to live forever (in the stand point of living here on Earth) I agree with *~Dagger Trepe~*.
We are not meant to live forever. I know many on here would argue with me though.

Fonzie
08-08-2006, 03:16 AM
I would like to live forever because i'd get to become all knowing muhahaa

Madame Adequate
08-08-2006, 03:27 AM
Decessus- technically correct, but every example I have ever seen has drawn a distinction between immortality (No natural death, but death from trauma and the like still being possible) and invulnerability (No damage taken from anything, and thus no death at all).

Suffering ends at a point. I'd prefer to keep it that way. (Unless MILF's predictions are true, but I'm not so faithful in humanity as he is.)

I'm not optimistic that we'll solve Humanity's problems - moreover if we do new ones always arise anyway - but we suffer in a limited existence anyway, yet not many of us kill ourselves over it. My point is that we can make ourselves far better, and have the choice of when to die in large part, rather than being subject to the universe's whimsy.

Mirage
08-08-2006, 04:43 AM
Yes, but only if those I care for could live forever aswell.
And I'm talking about no natural death, not being invulnerable.

Kurui
08-08-2006, 04:54 AM
Meh, I don't really know if I'd want to live forever. At this point in my life, I'd have to say heck no, but a few years from now I might be singing a different tune. I suppose it all depends on the circumstances. I mean, would I age at all? Would I be in a constant state of pain? Forever is a long time, I would probably get bored after a while, knowing me.

Loony BoB
08-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Sure, so long as I can stay fit and also have the people I love and care about also live forever, I don't see why not.

KentaRawr!
08-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Perhaps I would. I should look into that.

The Hubsta
08-08-2006, 01:40 PM
I'd hate to live for ever as after a couple of billion years, the world wouldn't exist and I'd just be floating around in space wishing I was dead. I guess it would be good if you could chose when you die, if that's what you mean.

Casey
08-08-2006, 03:10 PM
It would be cool to live forever, it sucks to see all your loved ones die but if you think about. It sounds kinda cool. Eternal youth... I would want to live forever.

Mobius
08-08-2006, 07:26 PM
http://aphank22.tripod.com/portfolio1-5/buu.jpgdeath is just another path...that we all must take.......

lovehurts
08-08-2006, 07:29 PM
I would honestly do it. I love fantasy worlds and to imagine myself in past events of history . I would love to live in times that later on would be considered history. I could realy define my character. I would find reasons and people to get attached to , to help give their and my life more meaning and when they died I would be inside rewarded for my relationship with them. I would be very wise and helpfull and if the world was going to end Id be one of the best people to ask for help to try to save it.

The Unknown Guru
08-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Nah. Who needs eternal life when you have reincarnation?

I Am Stoner
08-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Yes I would want to live forever, I have my own reasons. But I would only want to live forever if the one I loved could too.

Vikeve
08-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Never!:mad2: I would never want to liev forever dont get me wrong i love life A LOT and im not some depressive cutter.

But someday i want ot leave this world of sin and idiots! I dont want to stay living on this mudhole of a planet.:eek:

That doesn't mean i dont love my life so dont think im emo.:) Love dude just love:) :love:

Madame Adequate
08-10-2006, 04:52 AM
I'm pretty sure "This world is terrible and I hate living here" falls under the sphere of "emo".

Now, my question.

Why do so many people think the world will never change, never improve? And that we will never go further than this world?

lovehurts
08-10-2006, 07:20 AM
I think that we will milf.:D I improve everyday somehow.:)

farplaner
08-10-2006, 11:12 AM
I voted yes for the same reason I voted for traveling to the future in another thread: so that I'll be able to see how everything evolves and develops over millenia and beyond. See, MILF, I do believe that things will change, and they seem to be changing faster every day (technologically speaking). I don't think we'll have mastered aging in the next few decades, though.

I think some of you guys are getting too technical with the question. Will my loved ones die? will I get sick or injured, will I float in space after the sun explodes? It's a hypothetical question! You don't need to define the parameters.

About Highlander: those guys do age. They have to kill other immortals in order to achieve the "quickening." ...anyway

Living indefinately would give me time to, for example, learn "all" languages and experience many cultures, study anything I choose to in great depth, basically just acquire a nearly limitless understanding of life, existence, humanity, etc- and, if it interests you, think of how much wealth and power you could accumulate with a few million years. The biggest check to any leader's power is lifespan.

...The possiblities are endless!