PDA

View Full Version : Coherent Sentences

oddler
08-08-2006, 02:47 AM
I don't know about everyone else but I enjoy being able to understand what someone is saying when I read their post. Incoherent sentences drive me... something. I guess BONKERS is the word...

Here is a prime example of what I'm ranting about:

"if you want I modify you the images you say which to me and I will make it"

Is that a scrambled word game or what? I don't get it.

Topic: What in the name of wholy jeans are people learning in school these days? Is grammar really not that important or do I just suffer from OCD? :confused:

Tempest
08-08-2006, 02:55 AM
Maybe people just don't proof read anymore. I empathize with you though. It drives me crazy.

DK
08-08-2006, 02:55 AM
well it pretty cool you think that i agree to people need work on their english lol

Cloudstrife4003
08-08-2006, 02:56 AM
Kids like me these days are just real lazy..But since i am a 13 yr old..make an exception for me! I have great grammar!

Tavrobel
08-08-2006, 03:10 AM
What in the name of wholy jeans are people learning in school these days? Is grammar really not that important or do I just suffer from OCD?

Well, whatever it is, it obviously isn't enough to pass those "no Child left behind" tests. Not that I consider those as acceptable standards of testing for intellegence, promise, or any worth at all. Public schools are FTL.

Meat Puppet
08-08-2006, 03:11 AM
Grammar is a time of waste.

Fuego
08-08-2006, 03:13 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=89583
this has been done already.

***EDIT***
i don't care about grammar or spelling ... i can read most about anything . but seriously this thread has been done already . check it out and start the war on leet speak (what ever that is) and grammar and spelling .
Peace
Fue~

Sylvie
08-08-2006, 03:15 AM
Woh. This is sentence makes the complete sense, I know of because of that. Of course, All know what is about happen upon us.

Cloudstrife4003
08-08-2006, 03:15 AM
HORRAY FOR genji!

Nominus Experse
08-08-2006, 03:34 AM
It is most likely due to the fact that people become rushed or otherwise care little to check back on that which they have written. Their thought process could be running ahead of their fingers as they type, which I know happens to me from to time.

Or they are simply lazy or care little for the notion that their posts may not be understandable to everyone else.

Madame Adequate
08-08-2006, 03:36 AM
I understand with cellphones why people use text speak - it can be a real pain in the ass to spell eveything out fully - but for some reason we have this idea in the world that because something is on the internet, it doesn't have to conform to the rules.

feona17
08-08-2006, 03:47 AM
It really pisses me off when people use improper grammar anywhere, even MSN.

I can tolerate the whole you = u, and too = 2 but there's a point where it gets to be too extreme. All of us are old enough to have gone to several years of grammar class, so unless if English is not your native language, just stop being so lazy. It isn't that hard to capitalize and type out words fully.

Roto13
08-08-2006, 04:00 AM
I lose respect when people start saying "ur".

kikimm
08-08-2006, 04:18 AM
Those kind of posts - the kind that was described in the first post - just makes me feel really dizzy or disoriented when I try to read them. I can't wrap my brain around it and I just give up. Anybody who types like u, 2, lol, etc ;P all seem the same to me, for some reason. I can't tell them apart.

Fuego
08-08-2006, 04:55 AM
I really think it is funny that people in a forum think that you have to type like you're filling out a job application when posting to a frickin thread. Also very few people i know are language nazi's and only type in 'proper structure' when they're doing something in a professional capacity. i highly doubt my employer or a future employer will hire or not hire me due to a blasé attitude toward typing on a FORUM .
Its repugnant to me to see people say that when you say "ur" (or something) that they will think that the person is mentally deficient, or they loose respect for them, or whatever the complex it is that swells up the head and makes that person look like a great big jerk . I can't stand that mentality . To me it makes the person saying that just as juvenile as the person they are complaining about .

Peace out
Fue~

oddler
08-08-2006, 05:11 AM
Maybe I got everyone started on the wrong foot but I intended this to be a discussion regarding grammar and not leet speak. It's actually pretty easy for me to tolerate someone saying "Da noobs r aggrav8ing" as opposed to "The newbies is aggravating." :rolleyes2 Even simple things like conjugating verbs seem to be going by the wayside. Typing in shorthand is fine as long as it makes sense when one reads it. I'm sorry if I got anybody confused.

Rase
08-08-2006, 05:18 AM
Posts like that bother me to no end, so I usually just skip them. I don't think it's school education that causes it, just the high-speed society we live in, where people want to do as much as possible as quick as possible. If grammer or spelling are casualties of this, so be it.

ljkkjlcm9
08-08-2006, 05:24 AM
It is truly not that hard to type correctly. I have never taken a typing class and yet I type quite fast. It is different when it is on a cell phone or something but honestly a keyboard is set up quite well to type EVERYTHING extremely fast and completely. So people that end up being too lazy to type something correctly, just dissapoints me. Some people I can understand, they just can't type well or speak english well. But it's the people that purposefully do it because they think it's funny or cool.

1337 speak is far from that. You're not elite, you're an idiot if you type like that.

THE JACKEL

Roto13
I just think that if someone wants to be treated like an adult, they should sound like an adult. Otherwise, they will be treated like and thought of as a child.

DK
I don't care what anyone says, Christmas has the best way of wording sentences on the entire site.

ljkkjlcm9
08-08-2006, 05:29 AM
Example: 7h1$ 1$ 4n 3x4mp£3 0ƒ £337 47 17$ ƒ1n3$7. 1 w1££ 74|{3 7h1$ 0pp3r7µn17¥ 70 r3m1nÐ ¥0µ 7h47 ¥0µ $h0µ£Ð 4£w4¥$ 937 ¥0µr |{1Ð$... p37 $p4¥3Ð 0r n3µ73r3Ð. N3v3r £34v3 h0m3 w17h0µ7 4 70w3£. 4nÐ n0 m4773r wh47 7h3¥ $4¥, 7h3r3 1$ n0 ([]\/\/ |_3\/3|_.

Translation: This is an example of leet at its finest. I will take this opportunity to remind you that you should always get your kids... pet spayed or neutered. Never leave home without a towel. And no matter what they say, there is no cow level.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

THE JACKEL

feona17
08-08-2006, 04:28 PM
I just think that if someone wants to be treated like an adult, they should sound like an adult. Otherwise, they will be treated like and thought of as a child.

That's so true. Because I know for a fact that teens who are say 14 and 15 and even younger, who write/type properly, say on a forum or on MSN are often mistaken of being older.

41-Inches-Wide
08-08-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm sorry.
I feel very guilty being one of those who scrambles words and make incoherent sentences. English, like every other 2nd languages, is difficult: I have to be conscious of how I construct grammar, making sure that my tenses are consistent, that my subject and verb agree, looking out for awkward modifiers, prepositions, articles, adverb, and etc., and add to the bundle a long list of synonyms for each and every word.

Too bad, too bad. :3

Cloudstrife4003
08-08-2006, 04:44 PM
I hate english...I like japanese though!!

Tavrobel
08-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Example: 7h1$ 1$ 4n 3x4mp£3 0ƒ £337 47 17$ ƒ1n3$7. 1 w1££ 74|{3 7h1$ 0pp3r7µn17¥ 70 r3m1nÐ ¥0µ 7h47 ¥0µ $h0µ£Ð 4£w4¥$ 937 ¥0µr |{1Ð$... p37 $p4¥3Ð 0r n3µ73r3Ð. N3v3r £34v3 h0m3 w17h0µ7 4 70w3£. 4nÐ n0 m4773r wh47 7h3¥ $4¥, 7h3r3 1$ n0 ([]\/\/ |_3\/3|_.

Is it frightening that I could read that without the spoiler? Best leetspeak ever.

licence
08-08-2006, 04:53 PM
I could also read it. But thats because some friends on MSN actually type like that and I've got to ask for them to use proper letters or sit like a codebreaker for hours on end.

MageLuingil
08-08-2006, 04:55 PM
I always try to write properly because I want to be sure what I'm typing can be read easily. As far as being anal about capitalizing every 'i' and whatnot, I don't really care that much. It's a forum, I doubt anyone will kill me if I miss one comma. I also don't care about other's writing habits as long as I can understand what they're saying. When it takes me 5 minutes to decipher what the message was, then it's a problem.

Is it frightening that I could read that without the spoiler? Best leetspeak ever.
Yeah, I could read it too ... should I be concerned? :p

The Hubsta
08-08-2006, 10:18 PM
A lot of the time it's cause English isn't their first language though.

feona17
08-08-2006, 10:19 PM

In that case it's understandable, but otherwise... no.

-N-
08-08-2006, 10:22 PM
sumtimes my teachers tel me not 2 use teh internte cuz it makes me spel bad

Gah, I can't do it.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
08-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Argh! I think I have an OCD on grammar. It annoys me. I have no idea why. Probably cause I cant understand what the hell your saying! xD

The Unknown Guru
08-08-2006, 10:40 PM
I hate that. Hate it, hate it, hate it. People also hate when i correct them, but i hate their lack of understanding of the English language more.

rubah
08-08-2006, 11:40 PM
It's interesting the kind of special coherency you can create by using three vague phrases and repeating them at intervals among other normal chatters.

farplaner
08-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Argh! I think I have an OCD on grammar. It annoys me. I have no idea why. Probably cause I cant understand what the hell your saying! xD

:: what the hell you're saying! I don't think your OCD is too serious. :p

I'm slightly "obsessive" about my own typing and grammar. I usually re-read whatever I type to check for errors...and I usually always find some. I think everyone should give their posts at least a "one over." When I swe a bunch of thid type of stuff, it's easy tp see that the poster ia just being careless. Now even though I might check my posts a few too many times, some mistakes still sneak through. My point being: nobody's perfect, but it doesn't hurt to have some consideration for the people with whom you are trying to communicate. If you are consistently posting stuff that forces people to decipher your message, you are being disrespectful. ...OK, I'm done.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
08-09-2006, 01:05 AM
:: what the hell you're saying! I don't think your OCD is too serious.

I guess yours is more serious than mine....:choc2:

farplaner
08-09-2006, 01:33 AM
I guess yours is more serious than mine....

:p I hope you're not mad that I corrected you...I couldn't stand for someone with a sig that sexy to be mad at me :love:

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
08-09-2006, 01:36 AM
:p I hope you're not mad that I corrected you...I couldn't stand for someone with a sig that sexy to be mad at me :love:

Nope, im not mad :bounce: Uh...thank you?

licence
08-09-2006, 01:36 AM
ur sig roxxorz my boxxxerzzz

oddler
08-09-2006, 02:18 AM
It's interesting the kind of special coherency you can create by using three vague phrases and repeating them at intervals among other normal chatters.

Not quite following you... :confused:

stuffing
08-09-2006, 03:02 AM
I think you'd fit right in with Bleys' Grammar Nazi squad

Elite Lord Sigma
08-09-2006, 03:06 AM
I just wonder why people are so lazy that they can't type out words. I don't understand why people need to use leet. It's a completely unnecessary language that just makes communication more difficult than it needs to be. Some people on the Internet are such poor typists that it would take a professional translator to figure out anything they're saying. I also don't think it takes too much effort to type out a few more letters per word. Why do people, who can talk and write in real life in near-perfect English, type like they just started kindergarten on the Internet? That's a question I (or the world) may never know the answer to.

Mirage
08-09-2006, 03:25 AM

That's a really lousy excuse. English isn't my first language, and I didn't type like /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif when I was 13-14 (we start learning it at the age of 10). Sure, my vocabulary wasn't the largest, but my grammar was very good.

As mentioned earlier. If you want to be treated like an adult, communicate like one. I can't take anyone who uses "u", "r" or "2" seriously.

farplaner
08-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by farplaner:
I hope you're not mad that I corrected you...I couldn't stand for someone with a sig that sexy to be mad at me

Nope, im not mad Uh...thank you?

Nicely put... I mean, if nothing else, I'm complimenting your aesthetic sensibilities.

Mirage: u r 2 serious. I know....I'm probably going to hell...:tongue:

Peegee
08-10-2006, 04:03 PM
You need context otherwise grammar rules apply. Grammar rules also have their own context so yay for redundancy.

I talking good english you.