PDA

View Full Version : eminent domain

Eiko Guy
08-08-2006, 07:39 PM
what do you think about this for me i think that it is unconstitutional.

for those that dont know whateminent domain is it is a law that says if the government finds certain areas blighted the law has the right to buy the people off of the property and if they dont cooperate they can just take it and build over it

i believe that this is like a reverse robinhood taking homes from the middle class and making malls and restuarants.

fallen_angel9000
08-08-2006, 07:42 PM
thats sounds wrong:( ..... then again our government can be a pain:mad2:

Flying Mullet
08-08-2006, 07:53 PM
It has its ups and downs. In some places it has revitalized towns, taking "slums" and turning them into tourist/shopping attractions that generate jobs and income for the town as a whole. Whereas other places it doesn't do much good, other than to pad some developer's pocket.

Another common use of eminent domain is for public works, typically roads and highways. Again, this has its ups and downs.

Basically it comes down to the needs of one versus the needs of the masses, and which is greater.

Eiko Guy
08-08-2006, 08:02 PM
i understand that except when it takes a place with family memories and changes it into a mall which the people may not want or need

Odaisé Gaelach
08-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Basically it comes down to the needs of one versus the needs of the masses, and which is greater.

That's pretty much it.

I'm not familiar with this law, but I wonder if it could also be used in the event of an incident or a major disaster, and the government or the police needs to take over your property to deal with the crisis...

rubah
08-08-2006, 08:50 PM
I think usually they use it to get land to expand roadways, at least around here. It's sorta a creepy right of the government, and really should make people uncomfortable.

Raistlin
08-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Especially since it's now okay for the government to take your house and sell the land to Wal-Mart.

McLovin'
08-08-2006, 09:23 PM
If you don't do it somebody else will.

rubah
08-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Sephiroth's Cage, you seem to be msising where it's the *government* that 'asks' you, not you offering it up. They're supposed to reimburse you, but you can't really do anything about it.

Anaisa
08-08-2006, 09:31 PM
I had sympathy for you before you said middle class. Just kidding! That's happening in an area near where I used to live. The place is run down, an it's rough, an it's better for all involved if it is all knocked down an rebuilt. The people who had to move got paid the highest price they could possibly get if it was up for sale. So they didn't really get a bad deal. An since the place is a dump anyway, most people are glad to get out of there. So it's not always a bad thing.

Dignified Pauper
08-08-2006, 09:45 PM
I like this law, but I am also a fan of Imperialism, under good leadership.

BakerMan
08-10-2006, 02:23 AM
With how greedy the senate is right now I don't trust them at all. It pissed me off when I first heard about it, this isn't Monarchy it's Democracy. When they take land from those that live on it I find it annoying that they can first of all get away with it and second of all the government gets a prophit from it.

Vyk
08-10-2006, 04:24 AM
Its democratic. Even if you don't get to vote on the issue (though in some cases I'm sure you'd get to) the people making the decisions are the ones voted into office so its supposed to work the same. Though it doesn't, that's how we've diseased the democratic system. And even if they do get to vote on the situation itself, it's the whole city, not just the people living on the property that get to vote. So if the area as a whole isn't very sympathetic they'd get voted off anyway. Democracy isn't always right and just. Its just the best way to express who needs what the most

DarkLadyNyara
08-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Eminent domain, in cases of roads, ect. might be justified. Eminent domain for private developers is not constitutional, and it is not democratic. It is government putting lobbyists ahead of the people who they are supposed to represent, and there is no excuse. :mad:

Psydekick
08-10-2006, 08:34 AM
It sounds wrong, it shouldnt be:mad:

Rengori
08-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Since this is usually used for road expansion, I think it's fine.

blah
08-10-2006, 09:23 AM
sad

farplaner
08-10-2006, 10:39 AM
I agree that it can be a good thing in certain situations. One problem I've heard of though, is that some of the people involved in making the deals with private landowners will slash the actual value of the property (regardless of any appraisal the landowner might provide) in order to save themselves a few development dollars. So a guy with a house worth, say, $150,000.00, might be offered $90,000.00. His options are to take the loss, or take nothing at all...

Flying Mullet
08-10-2006, 02:56 PM
I'd just like to point out that the US is a republic, not a democracy.