PDA

View Full Version : anti virus protection software

Hawkeye
08-08-2006, 08:05 PM
So I'm thinking of just downloading some anti virus protection software, whether I have to 'pay' for it or not. Norton or something sounds good, but I just plan to download the torrent for it anyways, and not really pay anything. Can someone recommend like, the best anti-virus protection out there, so I can download it?

Cloudstrife4003
08-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Nortan is pretty good choice..i have it and it deleted the bad stuff......

Mirage
08-08-2006, 08:09 PM
AVG is free and good. Why pirate when you don't have to? :p
free.grisoft.com

Hawkeye
08-08-2006, 08:10 PM
I have AVG, I'm just looking for something...better. :)

Flying Mullet
08-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Yes, as stated above, Norton is good. For any of your anti-virus type needs, <a href="http://www.symantec.com/index.htm">Symantec</a> (who makes Norton) is the best out there.

rubah
08-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Except for all those bitter people on slashdot who seem to think it's the biggest thing to invade their system and they're absolutely sick and tired of it?

I haven't had any troubles with AVG. It's quiet, out of the way, and does what i need. What exactly is it that you're looking for to be better?

Yamaneko
08-08-2006, 08:49 PM
I use <a href="http://www.clamwin.com/">ClamWin</a> in Windows. It's an open source project. It works quite well and has a small memory footprint.

Hawkeye
08-08-2006, 08:50 PM
I just get the notion sometimes that AVG misses a virus when it enters my system, and it doesn't really help getting rid of spy ware or anything. I just want my computer running smoothly. Mind you, viruses hasn't been crashing my system or anything, it's just sort of a precaution so I feel safer.

So I figured, what's the best kind of anti virus program? Probably ones you pay for.

Mirage
08-08-2006, 08:58 PM
I don't understand why people are so afraid of viruses. I didn't even use to have an antivirus program until i got AVG two years ago. This PC has only had one virus, and that was because I downloaded a crack for the Sims 2, and I was well aware that I could get a virus along with it. AVG zapped it anyway.

And no, AVG is antivirus, not antispyware. You'e got other programs for that.

I honestly don't understand why the average home user would need something better than AVG Free.

atlanteay
08-08-2006, 09:10 PM
McAfee is good. It's better than Norton IMO. Norton gave me a lot of troubles >< first it won't subscribe then i can't remove it since it's missing a file and then etc...

Dr Unne
08-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Norton is trash. McAfee was also trash last I tried it. What's wrong with AVG?

Samuraid
08-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Symantec AntiVirus corporate is the worthwhile software out of the Norton family, but it costs.

AVG works fine and is free.

crono_logical
08-09-2006, 02:22 AM
I honestly don't understand why the average home user would need something better than AVG Free.The average home user also uses a bug-filled web browser, visits lots of dodgy sites, and downloads lots of dodgy programs and run them without second thought of the impact :p

McAfee is still crap - we have it on our work machines due to how easy it is to manage across an enterprise of several thousand machines, but it sure eats up resources and slows things down :p Since you don't need the nice management functions in a tiny home office, I don't see any reason to install that bloat at home either :p

Mirage
08-09-2006, 03:06 AM
Oh. I forgot.
And I still think that's the digital equivalent of driving a car without having a drivers lisence.

bipper
08-09-2006, 03:41 AM
Both Clamwin (non install version at portableapps.com) and AVG are very solid systems. AVG > norton, even if you do pay out the ass for it. There is also a free spyware deal at free.grisoft.com (Where you download avg from, at the bottom of the page) AVG windows version even works on vista... Well, I should not say works - if it did it would shove the @#$%ing OS out the door. :mad2:

Bipper

Mirage
08-09-2006, 03:42 AM
Bipper should stop judging incomplete versions of operating systems. No one is claiming Vista works as it should yet.

bipper
08-09-2006, 03:46 AM
Mirage should update her Humor sensative circutry.

Samuraid
08-09-2006, 03:48 AM
Humor 2.0?

bipper
08-09-2006, 03:53 AM
Humor ME

Shoeberto
08-09-2006, 04:02 AM
I use ClamWin in Windows. It's an open source project. It works quite well and has a small memory footprint.
I had a virus once while using ClamWin, and it detected it quick quickly - but it seemed less than apt on how to remove it. I sorta lost faith in it after that :p

Mirage
08-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Mirage should update her Humor sensative circutry.
I don't need to, as I find it very funny how you get frustrated and complain about incomplete programs not working as they should.
If you actually had the final version of it, I wouldn't mind you bashing it :p.

bipper
08-09-2006, 04:39 AM
I have seen enough to not have any faith in the product :) I am also very frustrated at finalised (presumably) features like the new networking stack and the fact that you authenticate after you essentially enter the host machine. The flagging windows that pop up and ask if I am sure this program is not a virus (that is excusable). What is inexcusable, is all the protected services you cannot shut off, like indexing services. Boo.

As to make this relevant, vista seems like it will make virus collecting a bit harder; though from what I have read, it is quite easy add a peice of virus to the protected processes list, and disquise it in the Os anyways. This, is basically what I mean whe I say my os would have been penalised. Legacy programming also leaves a few backdoors, which has be worried virus wise; which is what sparked my origional post, as I can launch many xp virus and they will still corode quite easily. :( If they are going to fix all this by launch, I will boast microsoft as actually being a decent company. ... well prolly not, but it wouold be a start.

Bipper

Flying Mullet
08-09-2006, 01:26 PM
Don't worry bipper, if Vista was written in Java, you wouldn't be having these problems. :yellowkin

Peegee
08-09-2006, 05:09 PM
I use mcafee and it's fine. I also have clamwin simultaneously installed.

I've never tried AVG :)

bipper
08-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Don't worry bipper, if Vista was written in Java, you wouldn't be having these problems. :yellowkin

:win:

Owen Macwere
08-25-2006, 07:26 PM
I always thought that Norton is the best anti virus, I have it on my other PC, but on this I have avast, it is cool, but I am not sure if it is free or no.

Samuraid
08-25-2006, 08:06 PM

:win:
Vista might as well be written in Java. We've been running Vista Beta at work on a dev box, and it's thrashing the page file when running on 512MB of RAM.