PDA

View Full Version : EoFF's Top Artist

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Mum
08-17-2006, 09:41 PM
Okay, okay. No points will be deducted from Mum this time because I let her do it and I didn't know there would be such a fuss. However, if she does get the highest score, she will only be placed as second since there's such a problem over it. Does this sound good?

Thats entirely fair. Cheers.

tan
08-18-2006, 02:38 AM
The deadline is tonight, everyone. I'm really worried because only 6 of you have turned in their pictures so far. That means 5 of you haven't (lovehurts is included in this number, even though he's been gone for a week or so). I just hope they haven't just shrugged it off by now and said, "Well it got boring," or something.

Who I do not have it from:
MeatPuppet
Rengori
Zeromus_X
lovehurts (which is understable considering he's gone)
Everyone on here except Meat Puppet has responded to my various reminder PMs to do the challenge, so I'm wondering if he has just completely forgotten or just doesn't care :o

Zeromus_X
08-18-2006, 02:50 AM
I'll try to finish it by today. I haven't had as much time as I'd like to work on it, with other things I've had to do. But don't worry, I certainly won't just 'shrug it off'. :cat:

ValkyrieWing
08-18-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm just glad i got mine in....

tan
08-18-2006, 04:51 AM
I only have 8 out of 11 pictures for this challenge. I'm just worried if people are going to turn their picture in.

P.S. I added Zeromus_X's picture, so we now have 8 out of 10 pictures.
Still missing:
MeatPuppet
Rengori
The deadline may be extended, considering I don't want to just kick two people off unless they just gave up or something. I'm sorry I'm giving deadline extensions, but it's really my fault in the first place for creating such an unreal deadline. I'll be sure to make the next challenge's deadline a week. Sorry!

lovehurts
08-18-2006, 06:00 AM
Im reading this thread and wow...just wow. VYK is right. :)

Avarice-ness
08-18-2006, 06:38 PM
I only have 8 out of 11 pictures for this challenge. I'm just worried if people are going to turn their picture in.

P.S. I added Zeromus_X's picture, so we now have 8 out of 10 pictures.
Still missing:
MeatPuppet
Rengori
The deadline may be extended, considering I don't want to just kick two people off unless they just gave up or something. I'm sorry I'm giving deadline extensions, but it's really my fault in the first place for creating such an unreal deadline. I'll be sure to make the next challenge's deadline a week. Sorry!

T T A week would have been wonderful... On a great sidenote, if I'm still in, ya'll get to see my inking and coloring pictures 'cause I'm going to get a scanner! =D

tan
08-18-2006, 10:44 PM
So, yeah... the deadline is tonight for those two. If they don't turn them in, I guess I'll just have to erase them and skip a challenge :\

Vyk
08-18-2006, 10:48 PM
You make it sound like you don't want to. When you don't have to. Its your challenge o_O; If you want them to stay in and they're still going to try. I'm sure people are more interested in seeing everyone's work than getting on with the next challenge as fast as possible. But if they're not going to give any hint as to their next move (attempt or forfeit) then I guess you'd have no choice. Either of them contact you at all?

tan
08-18-2006, 10:52 PM
Rengori said he was busy and today was his first day of school, so I think he's just busy.
Meat Puppet, on the other hand, has completely just ignored my PMs when I told him to PM me back, so I don't what's going on with him.
To tell you honestly, I'm tired of this. The contestants said that they were going to stay through the whole competition. I can understand that some things come up unexpectedly and they have to drop out, but anyone who drops out should at least tell me so I don't have to delay the judging for no reason.

Rengori
08-18-2006, 10:55 PM
I think Meat Puppet has been here the last couple of days so I think he just doesn't want to participate at this point.

Nominus Experse
08-18-2006, 10:56 PM
tan, I was curious as to if you have considered having the artists leave something of an artist's description or note concerning their submitted piece. Art is very interpretive, but the artist is the creator, and many times, we try to convey certain things in our pieces of work. This may include how we situate the subject(s), our use of line, etc... Whether we mean it or not, we most likely meant to do particular things in the drawing itself, and as such, it may prove interesting to see the maker's notes.

However, I wouldn't exactly suggest having an artist's notes be seen before the judging, for that could very well, whether consciously or not, skew the judges' thoughts and interpretations.

So if you consider and ask or suggest that we do this, I would then suggest that our notes appear after the judging. I have always found artists' notes on their work to be quite interesting, and I am sure others would agree.

Just a thought.

tan
08-18-2006, 11:00 PM
tan, I was curious as to if you have considered having the artists leave something of an artist's description or note concerning their submitted piece. Art is very interpretive, but the artist is the creator, and many times, we try to convey certain things in our pieces of work. This may include how we situate the subject(s), our use of line, etc... Whether we mean it or not, we most likely meant to do particular things in the drawing itself, and as such, it may prove interesting to see the maker's notes.

However, I wouldn't exactly suggest having an artist's notes be seen before the judging, for that could very well, whether consciously or not, skew the judges' thoughts and interpretations.

So if you consider and ask or suggest that we do this, I would then suggest that our notes appear after the judging. I have always found artists' notes on their work to be quite interesting, and I am sure others would agree.

Just a thought.

I was thinking about having this for some of the more interpretive challenges, and I think that artists' comments should be shown to the judges just so they can defend their pictures, I guess.

I think you're right Rengori. If he doesn't submit a picture by the end of today I'll just erase him so all of you will go onto the next round. There will be a winner announced, if the judges start judging (I hope they've started).

Avarice-ness
08-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Not to sound mean or anything... and I know I've said this before. But we're doing this for -fun- not -prizes-. You don't have to skip a challenge, we don't care what happens in the end because in the end, there will be two artists and all the rest of us are going to be off still drawing, yeah we'll be happy for the winner, but we just want to draw. I'm highly surprised that there isn't a topic thread in the artist forum that people would be all "hey draw this!" and have alot of different things to choose from, and we'd all have the time and want to draw the things to their ability. At this point, I'm not even stressed because it's a 'challenge' the constant bickering in the thread is what's bothering me, hence I just read and don't talk because I don't want to get into it. I'm sure other's are feeling that way too. =/

tan
08-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Not to sound mean or anything... and I know I've said this before. But we're doing this for -fun- not -prizes-. You don't have to skip a challenge, we don't care what happens in the end because in the end, there will be two artists and all the rest of us are going to be off still drawing, yeah we'll be happy for the winner, but we just want to draw. I'm highly surprised that there isn't a topic thread in the artist forum that people would be all "hey draw this!" and have alot of different things to choose from, and we'd all have the time and want to draw the things to their ability. At this point, I'm not even stressed because it's a 'challenge' the constant bickering in the thread is what's bothering me, hence I just read and don't talk because I don't want to get into it. I'm sure other's are feeling that way too. =/

Yes, Avarice-ness, I know that, but I want this challenge to be serious. I mean, not too serious or anything, but not to the point where you can just say, "Meh. Who cares about the competition?" and just completely blow it off. I think that people are taking it seriously, which I appreciate.

Rengori
08-18-2006, 11:51 PM
I've had more important things to do than an internet art competetion. I don't think I'll be able to make it so just tell the judges to start judging and get on with the third round.

Dr Unne
08-19-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm almost done with judging these.

Yes, Avarice-ness, I know that, but I want this challenge to be serious. I mean, not too serious or anything, but not to the point where you can just say, "Meh. Who cares about the competition?" and just completely blow it off. I think that people are taking it seriously, which I appreciate.

I'm not taking is seriously. It really doesn't matter who "wins", or if anyone wins at all. I'm just enjoying seeing people's drawings, and I'm sure others are enjoying drawing them. Everyone could keep drawing all the challenges even after being officially kicked out, I'd still like that too. There's no hurry either. Let it take till Christmas, it'll still be fun.

I agree with Nominus Experse, I'd like to see what the artists thought (after judging), and see if I agreed with them and got what they were trying to communicate.

Rye
08-19-2006, 12:22 AM
I will start judging these tomorrow. When are the results due? I believe you said Sunday. :)

tan
08-19-2006, 12:45 AM
I will start judging these tomorrow. When are the results due? I believe you said Sunday. :)

Saturday would be nice.

Anyways, I forgot to add Avarice-ness and lovehurts' picture. Please be sure to check back on those to judge them :)

Vyk
08-19-2006, 12:47 AM
You gotta realize you're basically working against yourself, tan. The more serious you want it taken, and the more dramatic it gets because of that, the less serious anyone else is going to want to take it. I think the term you're looking for is professional. And there really isn't any way to get a professional atmosphere out of this

ValkyrieWing
08-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Hey, I'm in it for the fun, but that dosen't mean I'm taking it any less seriously. I still want to win, if only for the ability to say "hey I won" than for any material gain.

tan
08-19-2006, 12:50 AM
You gotta realize you're basically working against yourself, tan. The more serious you want it taken, and the more dramatic it gets because of that, the less serious anyone else is going to want to take it. I think the term you're looking for is professional. And there really isn't any way to get a professional atmosphere out of this

I just don't want people to shrug it off, is all. I understand it's just some little competition for a forum, but I really want this to succeed and by people dropping out and just saying, "Well this is boring." and then leaving it almost offends me because I'm working so hard to keep everything together.

EDIT: I've decided that Meat Puppet is erased for not contacting me in any way and for not submitting a picture for this round. Congratulations to all of you who submitted a picture (and Rengori) for making it to the next round. I'll announce winners once I get the judges' scores.

Rengori
08-19-2006, 03:49 AM
The system fails! If any sigs are made, make sure to have mine say I got by on technicality. And maybe have it a little less vibrant than the other, less saturated.

tan
08-19-2006, 04:01 AM
I'm just going to keep the same sigs throughout the competition. If you are erased, you have to change your sig to the erased sig. I know many of you would not want to do this, considering it shows that you lost, but I think that if you put it in your sig at least it shows you competed :)

lovehurts
08-19-2006, 04:11 AM
:) :p :D ;) :cool: :( :rolleyes2 :mad2: :eek: :cry: :mad: :love: :confused: :tongue: :greenie: :eep: :mog: :choc: :moomba: :choc2:

Yah the results are soon.

ValkyrieWing
08-20-2006, 04:43 AM
*is nervious for results*

lovehurts
08-20-2006, 04:59 AM
IS this thread dead? :(

Moon Rabbits
08-20-2006, 05:15 AM
When do we get to see the results of round 2? :(

Nominus Experse
08-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Impatience is begining to eat me away...

ValkyrieWing
08-20-2006, 06:13 AM
*freaking out*

I know it dosen't matter so much right now, but, ARGH!

tan
08-20-2006, 06:21 AM
Well, all 3 judges aren't on right now, and none of them have turned in their reviews to me, so you'll just have to wait, I guess. I'll give you a hint on what the next challenge is, just so you can possibly start :D

Hint: It involves banners and our e-newspaper...

ValkyrieWing
08-20-2006, 06:22 AM
????????

Ok,......

black orb
08-20-2006, 08:04 AM
>>> I just check the first and last page of this thread..
I guess I gotta check the whole thing to find the pictures...

tan
08-20-2006, 08:55 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1836474&postcount=206

black orb
08-20-2006, 10:53 AM
>>> Ok, I already sent my comments and stuff...

tan
08-20-2006, 03:34 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Rye will no longer be judging due to personal reasons that she does not want to talk about. I'll just say that it was just the competition itself and many poor decisions I made that made her quit, so I will just thank her for judging the first two challenges. And, also, though I know none of you will do this, please do not PM her telling her to come back because she's decided and that's it. Please just thank her for judging thus far, and how well she judged all of you (she gave you all very high marks, which is a good thing :D).

Anyways, we will again be asking for one more person to judge, though no one asked to be a judge last time, mostly because I extended my invitation to that person. If you want to be a judge, PM me.

If we do not get an extra judge (which is likely), contestants, please be aware that judging will become much harder from now on, because you do not have that extra third score to help you (for example, if you got a 4 and a 5, the third score may be 7 or something, which would boost your average). This means you may need to work harder, so just take your time on your art! Also, I have decided to make everychallenge's deadline a week, except for the last few challenges, in which I may give up to three weeks to do. The only way I would end a deadline early is if everyone turned their pictures in before time run out, in which case extra time would not be needed. However, this extra time should be used for drawing. Please do not procrastinate just because you have extra time; it may make the wait more unbareable for the other contestants.

I'm sorry I've made things so hard for all of you these first few challenges; I was inconsiderate of how hard artist's must work to get that perfect picture. Also, this is my first challenge I've ran, so this is really just the rough draft. If we have a second "season" of this competition, it should be much more refined. From now on, I will take your criticism and use it to further better the competition :D

P.S. I've neglected some people's hard work for this competition, so I'm going to repost the mascot and the sigs again, mostly because I think everyone forgot about them. Please, if you're competing in this competition, at least use one of these (and give credit to who made them), but if you don't have space in your sig, it's understandable :)

Credit goes to the great ValkyrieWing :D :

Top Artist Mascot (large):

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/mascot4.jpg

Top Artist Mascot (small, with name):

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/mascot4-1.jpg

Credit goes to Genji:

Agent Proto Accepted Sig-

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/protoacc.gif

Avarice-ness Accepted Sig-

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/avariceacc.gif

Christmas Accepted Sig-

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/christmasacc.gif

lovehurts Accepted Sig-

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/luvhurtsacc.gif

Mum Accepted Sig-

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/mumacc.gif

Nominus Experse Accepted Sig-

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/nominusacc.gif

Rengori Accepted Sig-

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/rengoriacc.gif

ValkyrieWing Accepted Sig-

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/valkyrieacc.gif

Zeldy Accepted Sig-

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/zeldyacc.gif

And last but not least:

aisle_s Erased Sig

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/aisleer.gif

(You don't have to use this erased sig, because it might be embarrassing or whatever, so I don't really care if you use these or not)

Dr Unne
08-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Sorry guys, I can't judge this contest any longer either. Below are my comments for this round. Honestly everyone would've gotten between 6 and 9 if I were to rank these. It would be very hard to pick a favorite. Thanks for the opportunity to share your drawings and sorry I can't keep judging.

1. Very powerful and sensual. The lighting effects on the hair (and everything) are very good. The coloring is beyond good. I have nothing bad to say about this and I'm not sure the artist really needs criticism at this point. :)

2. There's a really nice variation of line to show depth and detail; thick/dark in front, thin in back, broken in the details. The coloring of the clothes is just the right amount to complement the line drawing. The whiteness of the skin makes it stand out a lot.

I'm not sure the background is necessary or relevant to the drawing, though I do like the color choices. The right hand looks a bit skewed. I'm not sure this really resembles Proto; but I don't think it really matters.

3. This looks a whole lot like the photo. The head is centered in the drawing and there's a lot of white space above; it makes Zeldy appear closer to the viewer, which is interesting.

There's a lot going on in the background. It looks like there are arms raised in the air, one holding a camera(?). There's a house with broken almost flaming edges. It gives everything an ethereal feel. The calmly smiling Zeldy is a stark contrast. The detail in the background is very subtle, like the faint indication of a sun, but it adds a lot to the drawing. The drawing has a lot of personality.

The right hand is a bit confused. Something further (along the wrist for example) to set it apart from the background would've helped flesh it out and make it more 3D. Less sharp outline of the lips would've made the face seem softer.

4. The drawings looks very much like the photo. I'm drawn immediately to the striking green eyes. Orange is the perfect color for the background to make the eyes stand out, and it balances the grass well.

ValkyrieWing in the drawing has a very strong presence which is enhanced by the sword. Even without the sword you'd almost feel like there should be one (or something similar) in the drawing.

There's a bit of a while "halo" around some of the edges of the hair and left hand; I'm not sure if it was intentional but it probably should've been done everywhere or nowhere. The grass probably should've been extended all the way to the bottom left corner. Those are minor points.

5. The drawing resembles the photo a lot, in spite of the flesh wound and such. There's a lot of hidden detail in the drawing which you don't notice at first, like the woman on the right, and the small rose-like object on the shoulder.

There's a lot going on here. The shape on the eye would seem to indicate tears. The large drop of dark liquid (blood I presume) into the cup-like object adds to the sort of gloomish atmosphere.

The mouth is ripped open but the teeth that are revealed appear (perhaps ironically) to be smiling. The rope-like object pulling up on the face would further this impression. Perhaps there's some kind of happiness among the dark in this drawing.

6. There are a lot of figures in the drawing; presumably Christmas is the one in the center. The maniacally smiling ghosts and the... thing with its tongue out give this a silly feel (in a good way). I like the little pink creature in the front in particularly.

I think the background could've been left out, or hand-drawn. I think the shadows on the hair should've be perfectly horizontal; it makes it feel flat, in comparison with the somewhat rounded forms in the rest of the drawing. The white "jaggies" along the black lines are likely an artifact of the program used to make this drawing. A more sophisticated program would've likely helped this drawing appear more consistent.

The drawing doesn't appear to be meant to be taken seriously. It's a fun drawing.

7. This features Zeromus_X sitting on what at first glance I thought was popcorn, but then decided was gold due to its resemblance to the gold in the chest. The figure is holding up a glass almost as a toast, and the position of the crossed pencil and brush above him seem to make that the object of the toast.

The crossed pencil and brush are reminicent of crossed swords, making the artistic tools seem like Zeromus_X's "weapon of choice", if I may make a corny analogy. Other things like the indication of an easle and painting tools further that impression.

I'm unsure what the forked item in the back-right is. It coupled with the large face on the left seem to be paintings, making this a painting of paintings, which I found interesting.

The eyes of the figure are somewhat hidden by noise. I'm unsure of the meaning of all the money other than "I like money".

8. The quality of the scan makes it hard to judge. It was an interesting choice to have the drawing be in a suit and tie. lovehurts isn't smiling, which probably says something, though I'm not sure what. The facial proportions look very good.

Orange-on-orange maybe wasn't such a good choice. Some more contrast to make the figure stand out in the drawing may have been better. I think the eyes are a bit too wide-open. Other than that this is quite good.

9. The perspective here is striking, as is the entire setting. It gives a strong sense of freedom. I love the way the wind is blowing back and it's clear even though the only thing to indicate it is the hair and dress. Drawing something without actually drawing it is a sign of a good artist. There isn't much detail due to the size of the drawing but it isn't needed.

I can think of very little to criticize here. I might've liked to have seen the background being a bit "hazier" or more blurred or less saturated to indicate distance. That's a minor point; this is easily among my favorite drawings here.

tan
08-20-2006, 04:36 PM
I know Dr Unne just dropped out, which is why more than ever I'll need 2 judges. Please someone step up to be at least a guest judge! And also, I know it may seem bad, but please do not quit because of our lack of judges. We can pull through this competition and make it a good one :)

Anyways, I'll just post Rye's reviews, since Dr Unne did:

Mum:

Pros:

* Very realistic and beautiful
* The skin is so soft and has the appropriate lighting and shading on it.
* The composition is done excellently, the subject takes up most of the portrait and is posed in an interesting and eye-catching way
* The subject is skillfully proportioned
* The details, such as the curls in the hair and the duvet (I believe?) against her fingers really stand out and are beautiful

Cons:

* The background is a bit lack-lustre compared to how beautiful the subject is. It may just be my own personal taste, but I would have added a light, but not distracting, background.

Score: 9.5

Agent Proto:

Pros:

* The sbuject being partially in colour and partially black and white catches the eye and makes the piece stylish.
* The shading on the clothing is very well done and the colours are rich.
* While I would usually find the thin lines somewhat scribbly and distracting, they really add well to this piece.

Cons:

* The face looks somewhat flat compared to the cloth.
* The fingers on the left hand would extend more, as the arm. Or at least, the arm would be crooked more to achieve that angle of the hand, I would think.
* The bottom of the right hand seems to not finish.
* The background is quite boring and takes away from the piece.

Score: 7.0

Zeldy:

Pros:

* What really catches my eye about this one is how it's somewhat abstract.
* This has a water coloured feel in some places, which I like. I'm not sure if you did some of this in watercolour, but I like the mixed mediums.
* The use of colours in certain places, and black and white in others, really makes this piece nice.
* I like how you added a background to this, it really completes the piece, all the detail.
* The way the shirt and the arm were done is nice.
* The subject (Zeldy) is proportioned pretty well.

Cons:

* Some parts are slightly too scribbly, and take away from the piece.
* While Zeldy is proportioned well, the hand on the right in the hair is stubby and small.
* I think you may have had your hand smudge some parts because certain parts that were meant to be coloured (the lips) are somewhat greyed. Though I have that exact problem, so I can defininely symphasize with that.
* The eye are a bit small.

Score: 8.0

Valkrie Wing:

Pros:

* The colours in this piece are fantastic, especially in the hair and pants.
* The details, such as the grass and the fingers grasping the sword, are impressive.
* The composition is very great. You cropped out the unnecessary, and left in the best parts.
* I like how the subject is not just "there" with a background added, the subject is actually interacting with the environment, which really completes the piece and brings it together.
* The shading on the skin and clothing and pretty much everything else is excellent. Nothing is neglected.

Cons:

* I think the eyes would be a slightly lower on the face.
* The arms also seem like they should be longer

Nom:

Pros:

* This piece is very macabre and different from the rest, which I like.
* The details of the background are just as much of the piece as the subject is, which I really like. They're all connected together.
* Nothing is neglected in this piece, everything got some sort of shading.

Cons:

* I think the face would have had a bit more shading and detail, especially around the hairline.
* The neck came out a bit thick.

Christmas:

* Pros:

* The idea is really good, it's cute, which I really like.
* The background you use matches the drawing
* This subject (Christmas) is interacting with all the others which makes the piece come alive

* Cons:

* Some things weren't made 3-D very well (just RIP Little Manus really. Poor Little Manus. ;__
* A few things weren't given shading when a little bit would have really looked nice.

Score: 7.5

Zeromus:

Pros:

* Again, the water colour was a challenge that I admire
* The piece looks dreamlike, due to the medium you used, and it suits what you have created
* There is a lot of detail (the objects in the room) in this piece

Cons:

* The proportions of the figures need improvement.
* The left hand does not seem to have a wrist or a thumb
* The larger head on the top left is a bit oblong
* Some parts of the piece do not show very full value in hues.

lovehurts:

Pros:

* The face has accurate colour and shades and lights on it.
* The shirt also has good shading and lighting on it.
* The background is quite nice, it's suits the piece well.
* Paint really seems to suit you as a medium

Cons:

* Proportion needs some work. The head is so small and the right shoulder is too wide.
* The features on the face need to be a bit more level. One eye is a bit higher than the other.
* Nitpicking here, but the shirt should have more folds.

Score: 8.0

Avarice-Ness:

Pros:

* The composition is nice, it's like a frame in a scene, there is a lot happening.
* I really like the idea you were going for.
* The woman is done well and appropriately, considering the angle.
* The colouring on the dress and hair are nice.

Cons:

* The piece is rather small and makes it hard to see the details.
* There is not much shading on many places
* The piece is somewhat flattened.

I still need to average in black orb's scores, so I'll be back in a minute with the winner :D

lovehurts
08-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Will there be show and tell with the art later?:)

tan
08-20-2006, 04:46 PM

Sure, if you want.

lovehurts
08-20-2006, 04:51 PM

Sure, if you want.

However you want to roll with it is fine. :) I could go either way, it may add more interest back into this thread.

Avarice-ness
08-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Yes, I'm so going to loose. I mean.. not that I'm... excited or anything about loosing, it just won't surprise me.

lovehurts
08-20-2006, 05:34 PM
Yes, I'm so going to loose. I mean.. not that I'm... excited or anything about loosing, it just won't surprise me.

You're in round 3.

Avarice-ness
08-20-2006, 05:54 PM

You're in round 3.

Oh... well..
That was slightly anti-climatic now wasn't it? Guess I'll go to wal-mart later and buy a scanner as long as my dad doesn't freak. n n;
Then my pictures won't be so small and they will be line-arted and colored in photoshop... I need to dig out my microns, but I dunno where they are. :(

lovehurts
08-20-2006, 05:56 PM

You're in round 3.

Oh... well..
That was slightly anti-climatic now wasn't it? Guess I'll go to wal-mart later and buy a scanner as long as my dad doesn't freak. n n;
Then my pictures won't be so small and they will be line-arted and colored in photoshop... I need to dig out my microns, but I dunno where they are. :(

:)

*watches avarice-Ness ponder* * walks away and wonders what the hell a micron is *

black orb
08-20-2006, 06:27 PM
>>> How many judges you need for this???
Unne went all his way to make comments for each picture and he didnt scored??
Whatever...

Tan since you posted Rye`s, you can post my comments and my score here too, if you want..

Avarice-ness
08-20-2006, 06:30 PM
*slightly glad meat puppet bailed, 'cause her picture was fail due to the fact she had to work*

LoveHurt's go stare at RenRen for a while. He likes when people stare at him! =D? =D? :razz:

lovehurts
08-20-2006, 06:37 PM
*slightly glad meat puppet bailed, 'cause her picture was fail due to the fact she had to work*

LoveHurt's go stare at RenRen for a while. He likes when people stare at him! =D? =D? :razz:

I like stimpy stimpy more.

Agent Proto
08-21-2006, 12:17 AM
While I'm glad to see the judge's comments, I'm sadden to see that the original judges are all gone. However, hopefully, that would mean new judges. I don't know.

lovehurts
08-21-2006, 12:21 AM
While I'm glad to see the judge's comments, I'm sadden to see that the original judges are all gone. However, hopefully, that would mean new judges. I don't know.

I wonder why though...why did they...go?

Avarice-ness
08-21-2006, 01:17 AM

I wonder why though...why did they...go?

Prolly stress. o o;

Agent Proto
08-21-2006, 01:20 AM
Yeah, that and probably loss of interest. Seems like the case.

tan
08-21-2006, 01:23 AM
I've just decided to post black orb's reviews since all the other judges' reviews are posted:

Nom-Experse:
The bad: Nothing bad with this, maybe it needed a little more of contrast at the time of scanning the picture..
The good: Textures!! Great textures and detail done with just black ink (and maybe a pencil).. That requires lot of patience.. Nice concept too, very original..
Personal opinion: Keep up the good work..
9/10

Mum:
The bad: Nothing bad with this picture, maybe that black fabric can use some more highlights but that is just a personal opinion..
The good: Flawless technique, anatomy, shading, etc.. the work of a pro..
Personal opinion: I bet those paintings sell pretty well..
Score 8/10

Valkyriewing:
The bad: Is too evident that the picture was cropped and pasted over a photoshop background..
The good: Great work with the color pencils, well shaded and detailed picture..
Personal comments: I love that chinese sword..
Score 7/10

Lovehurts:
The bad: Maybe the lack of simetry could be a bad thing but thats only relative..
The good: Wow, he sure took his time for this, Im not really sure what he used to paint this but the result is very good.. The colors are great too.
Personal comments: Very nice painting..
Score 7/10

Christmas:
The bad: Well the anatomy isnt perfect but since it is a very cartoony style I guess there isnt much of a problem..
The good: The characters there are very funny, the colors are pretty and the background`s photo fits perfectly in the scene.
Personal comments: I love this picture, Christmas you have a very nice style, keep it up..
Score 6/10

Agent Proto:
The bad: His right hand looks odd..
The Good: Solid colors and the contrast here is pretty cool, gray and orange colors work fine thogether..
Personal Comments: Very neat picture..
Score 5/10

Avariceness:
The bad: Well I know Avariceness was kinda busy, I guess that explain the small picture and the rush in the colors..
The Good: Solid colors and the perspective is great.
Personal comments: Again, I love the perspective, the girl is hot too..
Score 5/10

Zeromus x :
The bad: Serious anatomy problems, and the colors are quite bland even for watercolors..
The good: Well, Zeromus x actually drew the entire room and all the other stuff...
Personal comment: Funny picture.. so much wealth and narcissism..
Score 4/10

Zeldy:
The bad: Anatomy problems, and the colors are lacking, I guess those are color pencils.
The good: Well, she did some shading with the pencil..
Personal comment: Is that the flag from sweden?..:
Score 3/10

So the winner of this challenge is...
it's a tie

Here are the averages of this round:

1. Nominus Experse- 9.17
1. Mum- 9.17
3. ValkyrieWing- 8.17
4. lovehurts- 7.7
5. Avarice-ness- 7
6. Christmas- 6.5
7. Agent Proto- 6.3
7. Zeldy- 6.3
9. Zeromus_X- 5.7
10. Rengori- passed on technicality
11. Meat Puppet- didn't turn anything in

Just to avoid controversy, this means I'll be giving immunity to both Nominus Experse and Mum .
I know some of you may find this completely infruriating, considering Mum turned in a painting she did before I was born, but please, don't get angry. She worked very hard on this painting and she deserves the immunity.

So, with that, I'm going to go start planning out the next challenge, and until then, farewell ;)

P.S. http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?p=1821307#post1821307
There's the third challenge's rules :D

lovehurts
08-21-2006, 02:32 AM
wait Im slow I dont get it!!!:mad:

Nominus Experse
08-21-2006, 02:33 AM
My, my, my - I tied with Mum...

You are far too kind. Interesting, though, that my picture of such blatant lack of colour (due to drawing the entire thing with only pen and ink) would compete well against a painting with such sensual and cooling colours contrasted against the warm hues of her body. It just strikes me... interesting...

lovehurts
08-21-2006, 02:36 AM
My, my, my - I tied with Mum...

You are far too kind. Interesting, though, that my picture of such blatant lack of colour (due to drawing the entire thing with only pen and ink) would compete well against a painting with such sensual and cooling colours contrasted against the warm hues of her body. It just strikes me... interesting...

HMMMMM.....

*lovehurts ponders*

ValkyrieWing
08-21-2006, 03:04 AM
I DID NOT paste it over a photoshop background...I don't even have photoshop! The glow is there on purpose, indicating my belief in inner power.

I'm a little injured, but at least I lost to the best.

kikimm
08-21-2006, 03:07 AM
I'd just like to remind everyone to stay on topic throughout the course of the thread, even if you're...I don't know, keen on keeping the thread alive. Keep the discusion about the competition, and not Ren and Stimpy. ;P

black orb
08-21-2006, 03:45 AM
I DID NOT paste it over a photoshop background...I don't even have photoshop! The glow is there on purpose, indicating my belief in inner power.

I'm a little injured, but at least I lost to the best.
>>> Ok, even if you did the glow on purpose I didnt have that info and it does look like it was cropped and pasted somewhere else, since that orange upper background dont seem to be colored with the same color pencils like the rest of the drawing..

Nominus Experse
08-21-2006, 04:06 AM
Does anyone know what the hell this next challenge is?

"The Post" and "they" sound akin to that of eeire and mysterious military officials in some obscure faction that I have never heard of up until now.

So if anyone one is willing to clarify, that would be much appreciated. I PM'd tan, but he responded with nothing but an explanation tha he doesn't have a link to what it is. So ultimately, that did nothing in the ways of enlightening me.

lovehurts
08-21-2006, 04:08 AM

"The Post" and "they" sound akin to that of eeire and mysterious military officials in some obscure faction that I have never heard of up until now.

So if anyone one is willing to clarify, that would be much appreciated.

Im trying to put it together myself.:(

tan
08-21-2006, 04:11 AM

So if anyone one is willing to clarify, that would be much appreciated. I PM'd tan, but he responded with nothing but an explanation tha he doesn't have a link to what it is. So ultimately, that did nothing in the ways of enlightening me.

Sorry about that; I posted the link on the challenge's rules. The Post is the official EoFF newspaper, basically.

Agent Proto
08-21-2006, 04:11 AM
<a href="http://eoffpost.akusui.net/news.php">The Post.</a>

That's the link if you can't be bothered looking at the first post.

tan
08-21-2006, 04:15 AM
<a href="http://eoffpost.akusui.net/news.php">The Post.</a>

That's the link if you can't be bothered looking at the first post.

I wanted people to look at the first post just to look at the rules, but meh, it's all relative =P

Moon Rabbits
08-21-2006, 04:16 AM
Where are the pictures? :(

Nominus Experse
08-21-2006, 04:17 AM
Oh, well tan just now Pm'd me with the link as to what it is, so I retract my question and statement.

I never knew we had a newspaper, but then again, I have only been here for a couple of months and have really only focused on that of the forums.

He said he has posted the link on the front of this thread, but for anyone else who misses that, I will post it here:

http://eoffpost.akusui.net/news.php

This challenge should prove interesting, as those with limited or somewhat rudimentary physical artistic skills may very well be capable of shining in this particular challenge. I gladly look forward to it.

EDIT: My god, you guys can write like demons.. in the time it took for me to post this, five of you posted...
I read the first post, but the link was not present at the time of my viewing it, thus, my question.

Avarice-ness
08-21-2006, 04:21 AM
*breathes in* So if I let someone do the photoshopping you do realize that's a collab right? So and So draws, I do the edits? Yeah.. I dunno. This seems just slightly biased, for the people that may not have cropping abilities or can go by those specs on paper. This should be gone by artistic ability, not the type of things you can do with it.. I guess I'm just saying in the 1800's this would have never been an idea, because the people didn't have the ability to do it.
Oh well, If there are people that need photoshop edits or cropping or anything, You can PM me. =]

Zeromus_X
08-21-2006, 04:25 AM
Well, I know that using a variety of media was one of the highlights of the challenges, but I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to using a computer for this kind of thing. What if I drew the banner and one of the people here converted it to that kind of image? :confused: :cat: Would that be acceptable?

lovehurts
08-21-2006, 04:28 AM
Ok then I'll start tommorow after my 1st day of college I guess.

tan
08-21-2006, 04:29 AM
Well, I know that using a variety of media was one of the highlights of the challenges, but I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to using a computer for this kind of thing. What if I drew the banner and one of the people here converted it to that kind of image? :confused: :cat: Would that be acceptable?

Sure, that's acceptable. Just remember to follow the guidelines.

And, all of you, if you want an extra day on the deadline be sure to PM me so I know you're know about the challenge. Be sure to read the rules more thoroughly! =P

ValkyrieWing
08-21-2006, 04:50 AM
Is it ok if I draw a picture and convert it into a banner?

tan
08-21-2006, 04:52 AM
Is it ok if I draw a picture and convert it into a banner?

That's fine, as long as it follows the guidelines.

Be sure it follows the guidelines, everyone.

Mum
08-21-2006, 05:54 AM
P.S. I really want you guys to use your accepted sigs. Genji worked very hard on them, and I do not want to seem them go to waste. If you do not have enough space for this sig, at least PM him thanking him for the sig, please :D

Being an old fogey (AND AS OF SATURDAY - A GRANDMOTHER!!!) I'm sorry but I don't know what a 'signature' is or how and when to use one. More info?
(Yes, BoB's an uncle!)

Zeromus_X
08-21-2006, 06:03 AM
Aw, congratulations. :cat::)

A signature is text and/or images that appear below every post a member makes. You may've seen them before. (Or maybe they were filled with green letters...)

First off, to create your own signature, you'll want to copy the location of the banner (it's image). Right click it, go to 'properties', and highlight the location. Then right click, and copy it. Then, go to 'User CP' at the top of the page (the forum's page). There's a bunch of customization options here. Go to 'Edit Signature'. Then, in the box, paste the location of the signature, highlight it, and click the button on the Signature Editing screen that looks like a postcard (has a mountain in it), and it'll wrap the location text of the image with 'IMG' tags. When displayed on the forum, it'll show the signature in that location. Hope that helps! :cat:

Edit: Any text just displays normally.

Rengori
08-21-2006, 06:19 AM
Why can't these start on weekends... -_-

Nominus Experse
08-21-2006, 11:00 AM
When you make mention of Photoshop, cropping, overlaying, and basic collage work comes to mind. Are we allowed to use multiple images that we have not made, or is the idea of the challenge to make our own images? And secondly, what of brushes and renders and the like?

Also, The Post is, well... it's quite bland to be honest. Although it looks very clean and well done, it also looks very drab and unappealing artistically. By saying this, I am asking if the banner we are making ought to be simple, or gray skilled, or with a small use of colour? Or perhaps a mixture, or that which is determined as being the best idea in our minds.

And as for that of the signatures, unless it matches that which I currently have colour wise in my avatar and current sig, I am not going to use it. If I am allowed to grayscale it, then I will gladly use it.

However, Genji, if you are reading this, I would still like to extend a thank you to making them all the same. I am just a particular person, so no hard feelings or anything of that sort, eh?

Zeldy
08-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Is that the flag from sweden?..:
Score 3/10

:mad2: No it is not! Its the Finland flag >;o

The one thing Im confused on is what to put on the banner. Im geussing it has to be Final Fantasy related. Ive never worked with Final Fantasy characters on a sig ;___; But I have an idea ;D

tan
08-21-2006, 02:00 PM
When you make mention of Photoshop, cropping, overlaying, and basic collage work comes to mind. Are we allowed to use multiple images that we have not made, or is the idea of the challenge to make our own images? And secondly, what of brushes and renders and the like?

You may not use outside images. The idea is to make a banner using your own drawings to make a banner. It must follow the guidelines, and it has to be a (some) static image(s).

And as for that of the signatures, unless it matches that which I currently have colour wise in my avatar and current sig, I am not going to use it. If I am allowed to grayscale it, then I will gladly use it.

However, Genji, if you are reading this, I would still like to extend a thank you to making them all the same. I am just a particular person, so no hard feelings or anything of that sort, eh?

You can go ahead and gray scale it, if you want.

lovehurts
08-21-2006, 08:47 PM
WE can of course use the computer to draw any images in the banner right?

Zeldy
08-21-2006, 08:52 PM
You may not use outside images. The idea is to make a banner using your own drawings to make a banner. It must follow the guidelines, and it has to be a (some) static image(s).
Aw bugger.

Mum
08-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Aw, congratulations. :cat::)

Thank you for your instructions - hope this works!
I'm so chuffed that my baby's had a baby.

Nikki had a little girl (Jaimee Ann Grace) on Saturday just before 6pm after only 4 hrs labour. Well done! (Got some good photos!)
Just as well I took all the romantic pregnancy photos the week beforehand - little Jaimee was 3 weeks early!

Meanwhile - on with the challenge - graphic art is my weak point...

Zeldy
08-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Congratulations on becoming a grandmother, you will make a very good one :)

lovehurts
08-22-2006, 02:22 AM
It wont let me pm you tan....I have my final version done.

Rengori
08-22-2006, 03:47 AM
Just out of curiosity tan, would using the FFVI Menu and Alphabet for style be a no-no?

tan
08-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Just out of curiosity tan, would using the FFVI Menu and Alphabet for style be a no-no?

Unless you drew it yourself, yes.

ValkyrieWing
08-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Oi, this is HARD....

Nominus Experse
08-23-2006, 06:55 PM
tan (and perhaps everyone else), would it be acceptable to use previous drawings related to Final Fantasy and incorporate them into the banner, or do we have to make everything new and original for these banners? The reason I ask this is because I have an Ifrit drawing of mine that I would like to include in the banner, but having seen how there was a 'contraversy' concerning Mum's older piece of artwork that was submitted for the last challenge.

And on a second thought, it would be perfectly acceptable for us to simply draw this banner, and then scan it it and place text, correct? Because, truthfully, if we are recquired to make everything original and new for this banner, it would be much easier to simply mesh everything together at that point rather than scanning and rescanning seperate pictures.

Additionally, I still have yet to recieve a definate answer concerning the brushes and renders included in photoshop. Make note that I speak of the included brushes and renders, nothing that one can downloaded seperately, which when downloaded, become much more refined and are basically croppings of various pictures, hence, them not being really original. However, the included brushes and renders are not definate croppings or anything of the like. Rather, they're literally different types of brushes, like in the sense of real brushes. I would like to use these, since it would feel much more natural rather than using something else.

Clone 01
08-23-2006, 09:13 PM
sory about this but has this comp already started?where are the rulles and guidlines and stuff?can i still join?sry but im not able to find where the start of this is,could someone please help me.

I Took the Red Pill
08-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Sorry but it's way too late for you to join.

Rengori
08-23-2006, 10:23 PM
sory about this but has this comp already started?where are the rulles and guidlines and stuff?can i still join?sry but im not able to find where the start of this is,could someone please help me.
If a competition thread is more than 2 pages long consider it already started.

Avarice-ness
08-23-2006, 10:40 PM
... If the guy wants to join he can take my place.
I'm out, if you want to know why, just look in EoEE, I can't deal with this right now.
I mean, basically everyone's either been kicked off because they wanted to go (AKA aisle) or didn't show up, so really, the one's who are here now are the one's that were potentially going to stay, but I can't. Sorry, Don't even complain. But Clone can take my place if that's okay.
Bye people, I'll watch but I can't draw, My mind is shattered.

lovehurts
08-23-2006, 11:34 PM
... If the guy wants to join he can take my place.
I'm out, if you want to know why, just look in EoEE, I can't deal with this right now.
I mean, basically everyone's either been kicked off because they wanted to go (AKA aisle) or didn't show up, so really, the one's who are here now are the one's that were potentially going to stay, but I can't. Sorry, Don't even complain. But Clone can take my place if that's okay.
Bye people, I'll watch but I can't draw, My mind is shattered.

I cant go into EOEE:(

I dont know what happened in your life but I understand that you must leave. If anyone has a problem with that then they deserve to be kicked in the face for being too serious. People have lives. This is just an internet contest there are things far greater and more significant in life.
Where as I am glad to be here and I wont complain about it, any one with family problems or any other serious problems should be allowed to leave an online contest ....there are more important things to attend to .

SO NO ONE GIVE HER CRAP.:mad2:

I don't know what happened in your life but may God be with you.

We love you here Avarice and we care about you. Whatever happened you have my concern. Take care.:)

tan
08-24-2006, 01:54 AM
Funny thing, I've already found a contestant to replace Avarice-ness.

It's okay, Avarice, I understand. If you have to go, you have to go, I guess -_-

As to addressing some questions: you have to draw everything on your own. You can create some kind of banner through drawing and scanning, but everything has to be original (besides background colors, etc.)

Agent Proto
08-24-2006, 04:09 AM
So we're not allowed to use Photoshop/etc to add text?

That's lame.

tan
08-24-2006, 04:11 AM
So we're not allowed to use Photoshop/etc to add text?

That's lame.

Oh, no! You can add text. I'm just saying you can't add pictures that weren't done by you into the banner. Sorry for that misunderstanding :|

P.S. You can thank rubah for our lovely thread title.

ValkyrieWing
08-25-2006, 03:08 AM
Well, I think ii have a good image...

Rengori
08-25-2006, 04:08 AM
I should have time to draw on Friday and inking and coloring should come on Saturday.

ValkyrieWing
08-25-2006, 04:33 AM
2 good images...^__^

Rengori
08-25-2006, 05:10 AM
Finished one of the drawings and inked it... Yay.

tan
08-25-2006, 05:24 PM
I have my three judges and guest judge for this challenge (yay!) :D

I'll announce them when I post the reviews (unless they just announce themselves, which I don't really care if they do =P).

lovehurts
08-25-2006, 08:32 PM
When do we get to know if we made it?

tan
08-25-2006, 08:58 PM

The judges have to score each of the pictures first. I can't say whether you made it or not unless everyone is scored first. I mean, let's say you got a 7 average. Yeah, sure, that may seem like it will get you on to the next round, but if I say you're accepted too early, and then it turns out everyone has higher scores than you, things get messy. Just please be patient.

lovehurts
08-25-2006, 09:02 PM

The judges have to score each of the pictures first. I can't say whether you made it or not unless everyone is scored first. I mean, let's say you got a 7 average. Yeah, sure, that may seem like it will get you on to the next round, but if I say you're accepted too early, and then it turns out everyone has higher scores than you, things get messy. Just please be patient.

I doubt Ill make it anyways...

tan
08-25-2006, 09:47 PM
I made a Deviant Art out of all the pictures drawn thus far (except this challenge's).

http://top-artist.deviantart.com/

I made it just to show everyone the hard work you've put in, and just to show all of you off.

I gave credit to all of you and put a link to this thread, so I hope you're happy. I even had a disclaimer in each picture's description.

If you do not want me to showcase your work in my profile, please PM me and I will take your picture off.

lovehurts
08-25-2006, 11:49 PM
If you do this again , this contest I see many people here more than able to make it a good one.

tan
08-26-2006, 05:12 PM
I hope all of you are using your time wisely! The deadline is in a day (or two, for those of you who PM'd me telling me that you know about the challenge).

Rocket Edge
08-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Hope everyone is keeping up the good work. :)

ValkyrieWing
08-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Finished and sent in, for better or worse. :P

Rengori
08-27-2006, 10:29 PM
I can't finish it, I've got lots of homework that needs to be done.

Drop me out and DON'T PUT ME BACK IN THIS TIME. :mad2:

tan
08-27-2006, 10:42 PM
I can't finish it, I've got lots of homework that needs to be done.

Drop me out and DON'T PUT ME BACK IN THIS TIME. :mad2:

Well you don't need to be so angry. You didn't even ask to be dropped out last challenge -_-

Anyways, to replace Avarice and Rengori, I've given 41-inches-wide and Clone#01 their spots.

lovehurts
08-28-2006, 12:10 AM
This is one rocky boat ....:p

Mine is sent in as well and Im hoping that it is ok.:)

41-Inches-Wide
08-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Okay! Tan said I'm legit.
I sent mine in. :D

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Last Day!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's banner. :P

tan
08-29-2006, 01:26 AM
A spot is now open because Proto decided to withdraw. Anyone wanting to join please PM me.

Nominus Experse
08-29-2006, 01:38 AM
I submitted mine, but before iit is shown, I wish to make a sort of apology beforehand.

I decided to use Ifrit in my banner, and I once drew a picture of such a character in July this year. Some of you may very well recognize it. In order to not give rise to contraversy, I decided that it would only be fair to re-draw the picture.

I did such a thing, yet some issues arose in trying to get the redone drawing into digital format. I do not own a scanner myself. Rather, one of my friends does, but as luck, or lackthereof, would have it, he is off and I was unable to scan it in. I once had a digital camera, but it has since broken. So all you have is my word, but I can say that as soon as my "scanner friend" comes back, I can either post, PM, or whathaveyou the redone drawing so that I can prove my words.

I simply wished to explain/apologize beforehand so as not to give way to contraversy or anything of that sort.

And my, my, my, what an interesting thing this is - so many of the orignal persons to have begun this challenge have since dropped out... A shame in some ways, but all the same, it could give rise to a twist in the competition.

On a lighter note, I hope everyone did well, and I look forward to seeing the final results later.

Clone 01
08-29-2006, 01:56 AM
wel i hope you stay in nominus,your really good!

tan
08-29-2006, 02:24 AM
Hmmm....

Well, I've decided that because Agent Proto dropped out so late into this challenge, it would be nearly impossible for anyone to finish this challenge within a day. Therefore, I've decided Agent Proto is erased.

NOTE: If you were working on a banner and still wanted to turn one in (just to see if you win the challenge and get immunity), you may still turn them into me. Please do not suddenly just stop doing this challenge because someone's already been erased.

I will post who wins once I get the judges' scores (I just need them from two more judges). Please submit your entries by 12 AM (MST, Arizona), which is about 6 hours from which this reply is posted. Other than that, there are no exceptions. Congratulations on making it to the next round: ValkyrieWing, Nominus Experse, Christmas, Zeromus_X, Clone#01, 41-inches-wide, Zeldy, lovehurts, and Mum. (This does not show the order in which you placed, I was just calling off names).

Contestants, if you really need to drop out, please tell me at the beginning of the competition so this does not happen again. I'm not angry or annoyed; just a little worried that more people will drop out :(

As a side note: The next challenge will be in partners. Because there is an odd number, the winner of this challenge will get immunity and will not do the next challenge, unless they want to do it alone. If the winner really wants to do the challenge with a partner or just not do it alone (even though they are not required to do it at all), they have the option to pass the immunity onto who ever got a rank under them in scoring (person who got #2). If this person does not want immunity, it will be passed down again (though I doubt that this will happen). If you decide to take the immunity and not do the challenge, you will not have the chance of winning immunity. So the winner has these options for the next challenge:
1. Don't do it (and possibly lose immunity for the next challenge)
2. Pass the immunity down (and work with a partner)
or
3. Do the challenge alone.

I hope that's not too confusing -_-

Anyways, I'll give you a hint on what it'll be about:
MS Paint and clothing. :)

Congratulations on getting to the next round, everyone.

P.S. I'll start posting the banners (without the reviews, if they judges haven't turned them in yet) after the deadline.

Zeromus_X
08-29-2006, 02:32 AM
I'm almost done with mine, but beware, it is hand-drawn. I'd have gladly made a picture with a computer if I knew how to do so, but I don't really think it'll be that good to actually be featured as a banner anyway. xD I'll see what I can do about the size, however...:cat:

lovehurts
08-29-2006, 02:35 AM
I'm almost done with mine, but beware, it is hand-drawn. I'd have gladly made a picture with a computer if I knew how to do so, but I don't really think it'll be that good to actually be featured as a banner anyway. xD I'll see what I can do about the size, however...:cat:

I think the next contest is with ms paint. It's just a hunch though.:tongue:

I am from the originall group. Who else remains?

ValkyrieWing
08-29-2006, 04:46 AM
I'm staying.

I won't drop out, no matter what.

tan
08-29-2006, 11:00 PM
I've got all of the judges' reviews (except for Mum's, considering I have to e-mail it to the judges because it's a PDF file) for all of the pictures sent in so far, but eestlinc is the only judge who hasn't PM'd me the reviews yet, so meh. If they're busy and can't get to it, they can't get to it, I guess. If eestlinc doesn't turn into me the reviews by the end of today, I'll just take the three judges' reviews I do have and average the scores from there.

I've got all of the judges' reviews (except for Mum's, considering I have to e-mail it to the judges because it's a PDF file) for all of the pictures sent in so far, but eestlinc is the only judge who hasn't PM'd me the reviews yet, so meh. If they're busy and can't get to it, they can't get to it, I guess. If eestlinc doesn't turn into me the reviews by the end of today, I'll just take the three judges' reviews I do have and average the scores from there.

BANNERS AND REVIEWS: I've just decided to post them now to save time, I guess. I'll post scores after the end of today, or if I get the last entries before then.

Before we begin, let me introduce the judges:
The great Rocket Edge, filling in for Leeza this challenge
koyasuslave, another great judge
eestlinc (if I get his reviews on time),
And our guest judge for this challenge is:
Old Manus, the cartoon maker for The EoFF Post

Let the art showcase begin!

1. lovehurts

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%203/6.jpg

"The Bad: Well, it look's slightly patchy, as if some of the images were thrown together. The drawn images look out of place in certain areas and also don't appear to be very clear & well structered perspectively. Don't know why you highlighted some of the letter's in 'EoFF Post' either.

The Good: The slogan you used. The drawings are variated with unusual characters (Odin, him in fact holding the newspaper was a cool idea). Also, the backround is a neutral colour, and the rest of the the colours used seem warm & calm.

Personal Comment: I liked the idea of using Odin."- Rocket Edge

"I give this banner a 7. It is very original. It's wacky enough to catch people's attention. The scared guy, holding the newspaper is very funny! (I have no idea if this is from a FF game or not ^.^ The drawing itself looks like something I would draw, so there for I can not give it a bad rating."- koyasuslave

"This looks funky. I prefer the slogan on this one to the others, and there is some good use of colours. But it looks faded.

Pros:
I'm liking the slogan
Fits the style of the page pretty well
Cons:
Colours are faded
It's a bit empty"- Old Manus

2. ValkyrieWing

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%203/eoffbanner3.jpg
Pictures that make up the banner (judges did not actually review these): http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%203/tifacolor2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%203/cloudcolor2.jpg

"The Bad: Nothing much wrong with this at all.

The Good: Everything is done great. The Text is clear & appropriate, as is the 'newspaper look' backround. The images are obviously well thought out and drawn accuratly. The colouring is great also. They really do look like newspaper journalist's.

Personal Comment: You deserve credit for this as it looks to have been well thought out."- Rocket Edge

"Like the artist said, when people think of FF almost all of them think of FFVII. I also think it's very funny that the artist thought to put them in an 1920's theme. Also I'm really big on color, and i think color is what grabs people in and keep them there. This would be an excellent banner if you are going to advertise the EoFF Newspaper!"- koyasuslave

"I like this one. tan doesn't tell me whether you drew those pictures yourself, but they work really well. It took me a long time to find anything bad with this.

Pros:
Those images kick ass
Very in-your-face style
Cons:
Looks a bit squashed"- Old Manus

NOTE- ValkyrieWing DID draw these herself, I just thought it would be clear to the judges that she actually drew them. Sorry! -_- (her score was not marked down on this aspect)

3. Clone#01

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%203/EoffViviBanner1.jpg

"The Bad: Poorly constructed. Looks like it was done quickly (apart from the drawing of Vivi). Poor backround, & the text isn't great either (especially the text at the bottom).

The Good: Good drawing of Vivi using nice colours. The idea of him holding a flag is cool too.

Personal Comment: The drawing of Vivi is great, if only the rest could be the same..."- Rocket Edge

"Ok yes it's ViVi, but surely he can something more than just hold out a sign, right? The art if very good, but it just doesn't seem like it's alive. If I were to see that on some random site I would be like "Oooo ViVi! Post, post what?"- koyasuslave

"Good work with the hand-drawn stuff, you must have put some time into this. It just looks a bit too simple. Maybe it's because I was still reeling after the above one :)

Pros:
Nice drawing
Good layout
Cons:
A bit too simple
Not very eye-catching"- Old Manus

4. Zeldy

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%203/Eoff_03.jpg

"The Bad: The look of smudging in some areas. Bits on the right look out of place. Maybe needs to be a little shortened vertically (not much going on in those areas).

The Good: The nice simple approach to your drawing of Tifa. The use of graphite is great. The text is also nice.

Personal Comment: You have some nice drawing style."- Rocket Edge

"After looking at it for the third time, I finally get that it's Tifa. lol! I have no problems with a pencil drawing, but if you're going to do one, atleast make it a little bit more define. The drawing itself is good, but the post itself is already black and white. Like a normal newspaper, people want something that would stand out and say something to them. More black and white, would just turn them off. Like I said, I'm big on color ^.^;"- koyasuslave

"Don't know why, but this is my favourite one (are we allowed favourites? :mog:). Great use of whatever program you were using to make it, and the image fits great with the style of the banner. Nothing much bad to say about this either.

Pros:
I don't know who that woman is, but it works
I like the traditional font
Cons:
Some parts a bit blank"- Old Manus

5. Mum (I cannot post her banner because it's a PDF file, so there's not much I can do about it)

"The Bad: I understand that you don't have that much experience with photoshop and other such programs, but even still, the backround lacks character (but you could say that your drawing style takes alot longer than an average artist). The strong black bold at the front doesn't really match well with the green print at the back.

The Good: Obviously the incredable drawing of the hand. Excellent detail in the feather, such amazing talent.

Personal Comment: Your a good role model for learning artists."- Rocket Edge

"Pros:
Tells it like it is
Can't beat the ol' hand with a quill image
Cons:
Not much there
The green isn't working"- Old Manus

I'm still waiting on two more reviews for her banner, but I have to e-mail them the PDF file for it and my e-mail isn't working, so it may be awhile before I can send them her entry, and even then I don't know if they'll review them on time -_-

6. Nominus Experse

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%203/eoffpostyd1.jpg

"-First of all i would like to state that i understand why this artist used Ifrit after reading what he posted in the EoFF Top Artist Thread.

Bad Points: Nothing much wrong with this piece. However, although i agree this is a certain form of style, i have to say that the gothic feel mightn't fit too well with a newspaper article.

Good Points: Whether or not this piece is appropriate, the good points are very much evident in this banner. First off, the two things that hit you are the strong gothic bold used, & the drawing of Ifrit in ink (which is a perfect match for the writing). The backround fits perfectly aswell, so the whole murky approach comes at you from every angle.

Personal Comment: You got a unique style in the way you approach things. Good work."- Rocket Edge

"It's very original, all dark and creepy. Very good art, but again black and white, plus it doesn't advertise which "newspaper" it's for. Yes it says "The Post", but if someone who does not know about EoFF. whould be like "What's this? What's it for?" It does not tell you that it's from EoFF. I do like th banner, but it's not what people would like in a newspaper."- koyasuslave

"This one is great. It's a well done image, and the layout a good. I like the traditional font for The Post (i thought it was EoFF Post, lol).
Pros: Looks very professional
Black and white used to good effect
Cons: Uhm, a bit dark?"- Old Manus

I'll post the last reviews and scores up when I get them :)

ValkyrieWing
08-30-2006, 03:12 AM
Wow....

Nominus' looks INCREDIBLE.

Rengori
08-30-2006, 03:39 AM
Wow, yours is good Valkyrie.

ValkyrieWing
08-30-2006, 05:38 AM
XD
Thanks!

Psychotic
08-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Yeah, Valykrie's is good, and the idea to draw Cloud and Tifa as reporters was a nice one and well-executed.

I also really like Clone#01's drawing of Vivi.

Miriel
08-30-2006, 07:42 AM
I really really like ValkyrieWing and Zeldy's entries. :)

I Took the Red Pill
08-30-2006, 07:46 AM
ValkyrieWing's is particularly amazing.

Nominus Experse
08-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Valkriewing had better gain immunity this round, that is all I have to say. She used a theme that was fun and fit The Post perfectly, and showed a level or professionalism and artistic qualities that ought to have her scores show as such.

Also, well done to the other contestants, I can see that some of you are definately growing throughout this competition.

ValkyrieWing
08-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Valkriewing had better gain immunity this round, that is all I have to say. She used a theme that was fun and fit The Post perfectly, and showed a level or professionalism and artistic qualities that ought to have her scores show as such.

Also, well done to the other contestants, I can see that some of you are definately growing throughout this competition.

Nominus, I LOVE you! XD But I still think yours is better, and Mum's is probably the best. Everyone did a fantastic job!

lovehurts
08-30-2006, 01:52 PM
I didnt have time to do an awesome drawing but if you want to take the idea and slogan and evolve it into something more artistic you are more than welcomed to do so. I may have lacked with a drawing but there is nothing like a good slogan to make people remember your product. Art in a product is by the millions, there are millions of products with art in them a good slogan now that is rare.A good slogan with good art that's even better....

I didnt have the time due to my buisy college schedule to make an awesome drawing. The slogan I came up with in seconds. I was sort of disapointed that I didnt see any more creative themes or slogans but atleast the art was good for the rest of you.

Very creative work to all of you.

Tan are these all going to be computer art contests from here on through?

tan
08-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Tan are these all going to be computer art contests from here on through?
No. The next challenge has to do with MS Paint, but it's not anything complicated, and drawing clothes, which shouldn't be too hard, either. I think that... hmm... I've seen how difficult it is for some of you, considering you're not too computer-savvy (did I use that right? xD). I'm pretty sure there are no more computer-related challenges (banners, sigs, or anything like that) from this point on :)

Clone 01
08-30-2006, 02:06 PM
just for every one to note:I had 1 day to do my banner! i focused mainly on vivi and he took quite a long time,if i had the full week like everyone else im sure i would have come up with something better.
And thanks Psycotic.

Zeldy
08-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Ive never drawn Tifa in my life. Thats why It dosn't look like her. I don't do cartoons xD

Mum
08-30-2006, 10:04 PM

Nominus, I LOVE you! XD But I still think yours is better, and Mum's is probably the best. Everyone did a fantastic job!

No way! I'm with Nominus on this one - your's eclipses the rest in my opinion. I truely hope this banner is used from now on. Excellent work!

Mum
08-30-2006, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=tan;1860376]...(except for Mum's, considering I have to e-mail it to the judges because it's a PDF file)

This is what it looked like - and I've attached the the drawing too. As I said before, graphic art is my weak subject (along with landscapes!)

Dr Unne
08-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Those are all great. I like #3, I don't know why it got such harsh reviews.

ValkyrieWing
08-31-2006, 12:08 AM

No way! I'm with Nominus on this one - your's eclipses the rest in my opinion. I truely hope this banner is used from now on. Excellent work!

O_O

That means a LOT coming from someone as spectacular as you...

ValkyrieWing
08-31-2006, 01:06 AM
I'll call koyasuslave...one sec.

Rocket Edge
08-31-2006, 02:05 AM
The standards shown for this challenge was very high..

tan
08-31-2006, 02:20 AM
I've got all the scores, everyone. You all did great! But first, let me post Zeromus_X's banner and reviews (and Mum's other review from koyasuslave).

Zeromus_X: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%203/ffcontest3-2.jpg
"Good:
- I like the eye motif, and it ties in with the "Eyes on" theme.
-The Black Mage and White Mage drawings are cute. I like them.
Bad:
- A little bit too simple.
- Colours aren't bold and bright - it doesn't grab your attention."- Psychotic (thank you very much Psychotic :D)

"It's cute and chibish. Is chibish a word? Vivi is adorable and the White Mage looks like a kitten because of the way the hood sits on her head. The eye is very wicked looking with those spiky eyelashes. It has some decent colours and the newspaper is drawn quite well and looks realistic. I like the writing. All in all it's a good drawing, but still needs a lot of polishing."- Leeza
(thank you very much Leeza :D)

"I don't know this persons name, so I have dubbed it "Nanashi's Banner" aka the Vivi and Garnet banner. Simply because it's freaking hilarious! I have a weird sence of humor, and I am rolling on the ground everytime I see this pic. But the reason why I didn't give it a higher score, was because it blends in to well with the crowd. I see the banner, and laugh out loud, but I would have to really look for it, if it was ever in a "crowd". The coloring is great, but it could be a bit brighter. I love it anyways! I also want to make this into a icon of some kind, lol."- koyasuslave (thank you very much for doing this, koyasuslave :D)

Mum's last review:
"Once again no color. I'm big on color. Art is beautiful, I have no problem with pencil drawings. I must stress this again, you do use black and white, to advertise, black and white. I love the art! I want to put it on a Icon someplace, but it's just not ment for a newspaper. Gomen nasai."- koyasuslave :D

Now, to announce who won...
I would like Nominus Experse, Zeldy, ValkyrieWing to step forward. If I did not ask you to step forward, then your scores have qualified you to go onto the next round. Congratulations.

Zeldy- Your piece was very well-drawn, and your use of graphite was very well-done, as was the text. One judge thought it was TOO conforming to the Post, but other than that, it was great.
Nominus Experse- Your banner was well-drawn, but it was too dark for the newspaper's style. It is your style to draw very dark pieces, but the challenge was to conform to the site and make a banner for it. Your banner would stick out if it was picked. However, yours was still very excellent.
ValkyrieWing- The judges loved your banner and thought it was eye-catching, very detailed, and basically just excellent.

Zeldy, you're accepted. Congratulations on making it to the fourth challenge.

And now for the winner...
Nominus Experse... you're accepted. Congratulations.
This only means that ValkyrieWing, you're the winner of this challenge. You get immunity for the next challenge and your banner will be featured in an article about EoFF's Top Artist in the Post. Congratulations.

Here's the scores:
1. ValkyrieWing- Overall score: 9, winner
2. Nominus Experse- Overall score: 8
3. Zeldy- Overall score: 7.5
4. Mum- Overall score: 7
5. lovehurts- Overall score: 6
6. Zeromus_X- Overall score: 5.7
7. Clone#01- Overall score: 5.3
8. 41-inches-wide- passed on technicality
9. Christmas- passed on technicality
10. Agent Proto- withdrew, erased

Congratulations, everyone, for making to the next round. I'll post details about the next challenge in a bit :D

ValkyrieWing
08-31-2006, 02:59 AM
O___________________O

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe it! I thought everyone did great, and thank you so much!

Zeromus_X
08-31-2006, 03:25 AM
I know I sound like a broken record Valkyrie, but your's is wonderful.

ValkyrieWing
08-31-2006, 05:32 AM
Thank you!

tan
09-01-2006, 02:46 AM
Challenge 4 Rules Now Up:
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1821307&postcount=1

lovehurts
09-01-2006, 03:19 AM
Alright zeldy!!! :) We're gonna get em girl!!! HOO RAH!!!

ValkyrieWing
09-01-2006, 05:52 AM
Good luck, everyone!

I will be in this challenge, on my own.

lovehurts
09-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Good luck, everyone!

She scored highest on the last contest.

What if one of our patterns does poorly then we have to suffer with that person? Why does she get to work alone carrying the advantage that she can make things to her exzact liking and doesnt have to worry if her partner lacks?

No offense to you or anyone tan but I dont like that.

ValkyrieWing
09-01-2006, 05:31 PM
In the case of ValkyrieWing:
You can either:
A. opt to not do this challenge, which will mean you will not have a chance to gain immunity (for this challenge)
B. decide to do it, but without a partner
C. give up your immunity to the person who ranked #2 last challenge (Nominus Experse) to do it with a partner

As you can see, tan said that I could do it by myself if I wished. This gives me twice the work of the rest of you, and since we really do have an odd number of people anyway, it only makes sense that i do it alone. This in no way gives me an advantage, and since I technically can't lose this challenge anyway, I just want to see if I can do the assignment on my own. I just want to know the score I would have gotten anyway.

Rocket Edge
09-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Good luck, everyone!

What if one of our patterns does poorly then we have to suffer with that person? Why does she get to work alone carrying the advantage that she can make things to her exzact liking and doesnt have to worry if her partner lacks?

I think it's a good opportunity to demonstrate good teamwork. :)

lovehurts
09-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Good luck, everyone!

I think it's a good opportunity to demonstrate good teamwork. :)

She is working alone though, thats the part I didnt like. I dont want here or anyone else to work alone.

Rocket Edge
09-01-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't see how she's at an advantage here. Put it this way, let's just say we have three artist's at all the same talent. If two combine i don't see how they are both at a disadvantage over a person who's on their own.

lovehurts
09-01-2006, 06:53 PM
I don't see how she's at an advantage here. Put it this way, let's just say we have three artist's at all the same talent. If two combine i don't see how they are both at a disadvantage over a person who's on their own.

I would disagree and would say that a confident artist that does things by himself and for himself is bound to be more sucessfull. Or herself...

Not everyone is the same exact talent. Let's be more realistic here.

With no distractions and without bending over for some one else any artist should be able to be more focused and should be able to use his or her own experiences gained in art and should be able to channel those experiences and learned skills and traids towards success.

Applying another artist who could have a completely different style is just a mess . I work alone and well no one holds my toothbrush or paintbrush regullary but me and I do it the best because its for me and its done the way I want and its done the way I feel best.

i dont mean the best out of all the contestants, I mean the best of my own abilities.

Rocket Edge
09-01-2006, 07:06 PM
I would disagree and would say that a confident artist that does things by himself and for himself is bound to be more sucessfull. Or herself...

With no distractions and without bending over for some one else any artist should be able to be more focused and should be able to use his or her own experiences gained in art and should be able to channel those experiences and learned skills and traids towards success.

Applying another artist who could have a completely different style is just a mess . I work alone and well no one holds my toothbrush or paintbrush regullary but me and I do it the best because its for me and its done the way I want and its done the way I feel best.
Okay that's fair enough. But i'd imagine the reason why the introducion of teams was brought in was because it would give a chance for fellow EoFF's to interact, share, & on the most part be fun for the contestant's to do.

You never know, unless you give it a shot lovehurts.

lovehurts
09-01-2006, 07:17 PM

Okay that's fair enough. But i'd imagine the reason why the introducion of teams was brought in was because it would give a chance for fellow EoFF's to interact, share, & on the most part be fun for the contestant's to do.

You never know, unless you give it a shot lovehurts.

I apologize. Let me be the one to say that I must have a stick up my crack. I keep fighting and arguing. I think its because I cant offer advice to people anyone in EOEO and I have ran out of places to share my two bits....besides real life.

Im sorry rocketedge I see your point maybe I am OC towards arguing or maybe I just need to lighten up. I dont know , it must be college. I think college has me uptight. Anway thanks for hearing me out even though Ive been stubborn and the such. I am sorry. I just need to lighten up.

Its ok to be on a team :p Im just being a monster right now. Ill be the 1st to say it. Im looking forward to trying this compitiion and zledy, my partner, Its not that I dont like you or have confidence in you its just that I have a hell of alot of confidence in myself sometimes. Prehaps too much for my own good. We'll work together though and I will try to lighten up.

Sorry everyone I just feel like bitching prehaps the old pillow hitting thing would be better than this, posting in a forum.

Rocket Edge
09-01-2006, 07:22 PM
That's no problem. I wish wish you & all the rest of the contestants the best of luck for this challenge.

Nominus Experse
09-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Think of it as part of the challenge.

That way, you can't bitch about it. It's set and laid out, and further more, she has immunity anyways.

ValkyrieWing
09-01-2006, 08:10 PM
And we have an odd number...

No offense taken, lovehurts. :P

lovehurts
09-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Think of it as part of the challenge.

That way, you can't bitch about it. It's set and laid out, and further more, she has immunity anyways.

I already apologized .Suggesting that I have bitched and that if a change of thought is made that I wouldnt bitch anymore isnt necessary and it has far too great of a personall bite that I can sense, it wasnt very mature of you. I had an opinion I offended some people and apologized. I find the word bitching offensive. I was questioning the rules of a contest, I was not bitching. That sort of flavour you added there "bitching" wasnt called for. I already said that I was sorry.No need to hunt down the can of worms after it was already opened.

The poet usually doesnt start the wars. My war and my arguing or "bitching " as you so colorfully put has come to an end. There is no need to start another war. Even if you hate me please dont writte it out. I dont appreciate you trying to keep the tense feelings alive here when I myself have already siezed to have those feelings and have already apologized.

There isnt much logic to it all.

Again ValkyrieWing I am sorry. I can be a little out there sometimes. All I ask is that others be considerate of my feelings and what they say so that I can in turn realize how unsensible and how big of a jerk I am.being The fire doesnt realize how much it has burned until the water drowns it.

Again, Im sorry . I think we're done here. Atleast I hope that we are.

Nominus Experse
09-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I do believe you are taking my statement much too personally. Think of what I said as being the old "quite yer bitching" that a sarcastic friend might say. It was meant more than anything to be an overdone, sarcastic statement. I am aware that you apologized, I was simply adding a statement of fact and perspective that you apparently took to be much more personal and biting than it was actually meant to be. I am a cold, sarcastic individual, so if you sometimes feel attacked or otherwise akin to that, know that most likely, it's not. Rather, it's simply me being the sarcastic individual that everyone sees and hears.

It's done, and yes, I didn't exactly say what I meant to portray in a very kind manner.

Just simply telling you that I meant to express that it is as it is, and that things are done now. And if you were to look back and entertain the thought of voicing more concern of the matter, that there was pespective to be had therein.

I may come as cold and aggressive, but realize that what I intend isn't always relfected in a literal, word for word sense. It was meant to be sarcastic, not an attack of any kind.

Thus, I apologize if you were to take that too deeply.

lovehurts
09-01-2006, 09:13 PM
:p

Nicely done.

tan
09-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Well, one could say that ValkyrieWing has more of an advantage because she can adapt her MS Paint pattern into a dress easier because she made it, however, the judges will be taking that into consideration. If a team does very well in being able to blend their pieces, it will give them a higher score, whereas ValkyrieWing's pieces will be judged on a higher level. Though this may sound harsh, but it's the only I can do to make it seem fair.

EDIT: I still need judges (2 more, I think, and one guest judge) and one more contestant to join. Please sign up soon!

ValkyrieWing
09-02-2006, 05:50 AM
That's just fine. Since I do have immunity, that just means I can't lose. I can still end up doing a crappy job. :P

tan
09-02-2006, 05:41 PM
I have decided that the guest judge(s) for this challenge will be...
your fellow contestants! Once you turn in your picture, I will send you your assigned person's picture, and if you do the review, you get 0.5 points extra added to your total score. If you do not do the review, you lose 0.5 points. Here's who will be reviewing who:

lovehurts: Mum
ValkyrieWing: Clone#01
Nominus Experse: Zeldy
Zeromus_X: future contestant
Mum: ValkyrieWing
Zeldy: Nominus Experse
41-inches-wide: Zeromus_X
Clone#01: 41-inches-wide
future contestant to be picked: lovehurts

You may grade each other as harshly as you want, but if you give someone a 1 when they deserve an 8, I'll know, and I'll just disregard your score.

I did this because I want more interaction between you guys (which is why we had partners in the first place) and because by reviewing each other, you get the general idea of what the normal person thinks about your pattern/ clothing.

Anyways, I hope you all are making progress. Good luck!

EDIT- Zeromus_X knows. I don't know where 41-inches-wide is, though.

ValkyrieWing
09-02-2006, 07:30 PM
:D

WOW!

Zeldy
09-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Oh great :) , Ive always admired Nominus Experse's work ^_^

Nominus Experse
09-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Well, my, my, my... This is an interesting development...

I like this idea, I really do. I once was making a post concerning what I thought of other's work at one point in the second challenge, but then the power went out, so yeah... I gave up. Now I get to try again...

Having a perspective like this will be very much appreciated.

ValkyrieWing
09-03-2006, 04:23 AM
I get to be evaluated by the great and powerful Mum!

I am not worthy!

tan
09-04-2006, 09:41 PM
http://eoffpost.akusui.net/readarticle.php?article_id=43
I took his article a bit harshly because he's the second person to say that I'm not running this competition very well, but oh well. I actually found the article funny xD
Oh, and congratulations again, ValkyrieWing :D

Clone 01
09-04-2006, 10:24 PM
just ignor the fecker! its his opinion!hes probably not an artist himself and doesnt care fr it at all so he wants some kind of article desperatly!the comp is grand the way it is!

Zeldy
09-04-2006, 11:08 PM
http://eoffpost.akusui.net/readarticle.php?article_id=43
I took his article a bit harshly because he's the second person to say that I'm not running this competition very well, but oh well. I actually found the article funny xD
Oh, and congratulations again, ValkyrieWing :D

Can I ask what baloney means? xD
Its his opinion, but I just think thats very bitchy of him*shrug*
Especially about signatures/banners. But whatever :D~

lovehurts
09-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Monkeys?

I dont think hiring some one to bad mouth the activites that your web site supported is a good idea. It wont draw too many people in. I give that man a F for failing to be positive. The contest is rocky and lots of people are bitching but its still going and it is still something that is being taken serious by some of our strongest artists.

I have a feeling some one who was booted off the contest as either a judge or artist had a part in that essay. Im sick of bad news in the worlds papper and now I have to read bad news here....it just gets old.

Rocket Edge
09-05-2006, 12:23 AM
At the end he edit's it saying he take's back what he said so that post is irrelivant.

lovehurts
09-05-2006, 12:28 AM
At the end he edit's it saying he take's back what he said so that post is irrelivant.

What? What the guy at the news column says?

Mum
09-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Well, people, I for one am really enjoying myself. It has been more than 2 years since I have done any artwork and this has kick-started it for me again. Its been a great bit of fun and I am enjoying interacting with new people (most of whom I still don't actually know, but thats beside the point). I think this kind of competition is a brillaint idea - its motivation and if someone cannot keep submitting work, well that just lets someone else play doesn't it. Of course there are going to be rules and questions because its a little competition, and competition is what makes each of us raise our standards (just like any other industry). (Sounds like the guy writing the article had an authority issue!) The challenge I find with this competition is the one against myself - seeing what I can do within the guidelines set out for me in the time allotted. So, for all still in - lets keep on having fun! For all those watching - it'll be your turn next time! I hope I get invited to do this sort of thing again sometime too.

Zeromus_X
09-05-2006, 01:01 AM

What? What the guy at the news column says?

I now take back everything crummy I said in this article, whatever it was.

lovehurts
09-05-2006, 01:05 AM
:p

That is really wierd.

tan
09-05-2006, 02:17 AM
I didn't notice that sentence when I was reading it...

Nominus Experse
09-05-2006, 02:31 AM
Neel is an ass - which is why I like him.

I thought it humorous and placed a bit of perspective to some bloated egos and points, if I do say so myself.

And the last line just made it even better.

I fail to see any harm done.

And how is everyone's drawing coming along? Clone#01 and I are about halfway, maybe a little more, and aim to be finished within the next two days.

Mum
09-05-2006, 03:32 AM
Z & I have nearly completed our assignment...He's just perfecting his design (which he sent me yesterday) and I have done the pic.

tan
09-05-2006, 03:58 AM
Phil! He said he has plenty of free time and that he'd be able to compete, so he's now our ninth contestant. Congratulations.

EDIT: 41-inches-wide is back from being in the hospital (she had chicken pox). I would just first like to say that I'm sorry to her for thinking she just stopped caring about the competition and that she just forgot, when she was in the hospital the whole time! I'm so sorry! So, we will go back to the original judging plans:

lovehurts: Mum
Nominus Experse: Zeldy
Zeromus_X: Phil
Phil: lovehurts

Be sure to take note of this, everyone! I don't want you judging the wrong person -_-

P.S. Phil, you are now 41-inches-wide's partner. Be sure to PM her about it. I'm sure she's PM'd you already :)

41-Inches-Wide
09-05-2006, 05:23 AM
Thank you lots lots lots.
Okay, joining. Will be back this evening to check on Phil's reply.

Phil
09-06-2006, 04:34 AM
hello! just checking in to let y'all know I'm here.

ValkyrieWing
09-06-2006, 07:32 AM

I just read that article. :X

Notice how he didn't say which one HE thought was best. I can't stand it when people blow smoke.

Oh well...

Pic's nearly done...:)

Miriel
09-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah, hi guys. If you want to comment about Neel and his article, please do it in the EoFF Post thread, and not in here. If you disagree or feel he was being unfair or whatever, tell that to him in the other thread, this thread should be focused on the art.

Clone 01
09-06-2006, 04:21 PM
i think all uneccasery posts should be deleted,this contests is gona be running for a good while and it might be hard to keep track of things if there are too many posts.

tan
09-08-2006, 02:23 AM
I made a video showcasing the first challenge's pieces and comments from the judges. It's not done yet, and about 30 seconds in the end is just black with some dramatic music because I haven't finished that part yet. Sorry the music is so cheezy =P

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m133/top_artist/?action=view&current=EoFFsTopArtistvideo.flv&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

Feel free to post any comments you have on the video :D

Anyways, I want to make a video for every challenge, but I do not think I will find the time, so if anyone wants to be the official EoFF Video maker, PM me for more details.

Also, the Top Artist deviantart hasn't been updated with the second challenge's pieces, and I don't have the time to do that either, so if anyone wants to become our official "Top Artist Deviant Art" person, PM me about it too :D

I hope all of you are mostly done, because the deadline is on Sunday and I will not be accepting late entries!

ValkyrieWing
09-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Mine's almost there!

EDIT: CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

*falls over*

41-Inches-Wide
09-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I broke the rule since my partner didn't submit the MS Paint piece.
(the thing about only one partner can do one part of the work)
But I'm passing something still.
Oh well, if it's any consolation, my 8-year-old niece did the MS paint for me. Quite pretty, I am obliged to say.

*passes to tan*

lovehurts
09-10-2006, 12:12 AM
I drop out. Im done with the contest. I apologize. I know its not very mature but I just dont have time for this anymore. Im sorry. I drop out. Dont let my partner fail because I chose to fail. It wasnt her choice that ultimately has effected our group. I dropped out by my own will and I effected the project in the way that I did she had no part in it.

I drop out. Skip this contest or whatever but I drop out.

Ive been sick and Ive been buisy . Im afaird that I cant go on with this any longer. Im sorry.

Zeldy
09-10-2006, 12:14 AM
Might aswell just erase us both, as I was going to drop out after this task was over.

Its going back to School. Thats all my reason is. Im coming home exhausted

Im sorry :heart:

lovehurts
09-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Might aswell just erase us both, as I was going to drop out after this task was over.

Wait if she really wants to do this we are still in . If she tells me to make a pattern Ill make one right now but if not I quit.

Said it before but Im serious now.

Zeldy
09-10-2006, 12:16 AM

Wait if she really wants to do this we are still in . If she tells me to make a pattern Ill make one right now but if not I quit.

Said it before but Im serious now.

It was due in 15 minutes ago, and Im falling asleep at the keyboard.

It was due in 15 minutes ago If it follows my timezone

lovehurts
09-10-2006, 12:18 AM
That's ok it can be late ....Here it is only 7:19 pm i have time to work on it

Zeldy
09-10-2006, 12:21 AM
That's ok it can be late ....Here it is only 7:19 pm i have time to work on it

Whats the sudden change of heart? You was all set to drop out 5 minutes, I said erase us both and now you wanna do it again?

You know I couldn't really be totally arsed with it, but I thought Id be nice, and not leave half way through a task, but it dosn't matter. Whatever. Its too late. Im really exhausted. Its gone Midnight, here

lovehurts
09-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Ok then I guess I wont go on. What's the point then. Forget it.

Catch you later.

Nominus Experse
09-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Clone#01 and I have finished, even though I became a missionary of projectile vomit and high fevers.

As soon as I get ahold of my friend that has the scanner, it will be sent off to tan.

I enjoyed this challenge, and I very much enjoyed working with Clone#01. He came up with a pattern that was rather ingenious, even if him or I didn't know it when he first made it. He was also quite patient, and understood that projectile vomitting makes it difficult to draw efficiently. Again, many thanks Clone#01.

EDIT:Also, since Zeldy has dropped out, I'll just be a free judge if you want, tan.

Also, I would ask that Zeldy still judge mine even though she has decided to drop out. It would definately be appreciated, Zeldy. However, if you feel like you do not wish to do that, than simply say as such.

lovehurts
09-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Health comes 1st for me. Inbetween my college which is the future of my life and resting to try to get better for college I didnt have time.

I take my hat off to you though for working through your sickness.

Im out, sorry Tan.

tan
09-10-2006, 03:15 AM
Anyways, since that's everyone (Mum and Zeromus_X sent theirs in a while ago), we'll just start the art showcase now.

Team #1:
Zeromus_X: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%204/contest4design2-1.jpg
Mum: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%204/Summertime.jpg

Team #2: Zeldy and lovehurts are erased for dropping out.

Team #3:
Clone#01-http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%204/abstract2.jpg
Nominus Experse-http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%204/Nominus4.jpg
Team #4:
Phil- http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%204/drawing-1.gif
41-inches-wide- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/grannygoose/complete.jpg
And, of course, we have our winner from last challenge, ValkyrieWing, who had to do this challenge by herself because she has immunity. She did one pattern and both the front and back drawing of the dress.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%204/pattern4.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%204/model2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%204/challenge4-2.jpg

Here's the criteria that you'll be judging on:

For the patterns:
Originality
Artistic value
How easily it can be translated into clothing

For the clothing pieces:
Originality
Detail
Believability (i.e. if you saw this dress if you were walking down the street, what would think of it?)
Ability to translate the MS piece

Here's who will be judging who:

Nominus Experse: Mum
Zeromus_X: Phil
Phil: Nominus Experse

I did ask Zeldy to be a guest judge, and she can be an (extra) guest judge, in which she'll have to evaluate all of the pieces, but she's not obliged to :)

Anyways, guest judging reviews are not due on a specific time, though I would like them soon.

P.S. With so many people dropping out, I am requesting anyone who is
on the verge of dropping out to do it now, before the start of the next challenge. I'm not angry, I'm not annoyed, I'm not the least bit perturbed, but I want to make sure everyone who doesn't want to compete just doesn't so I don't promise guest judge spots to people, then have to skip the challenge that they were promised a guest judge spot. I had already planned out 11 (now 9, so there are 7 challenges left) challenges, and if someone drops out and I don't find a replacement, I have to skip a challenge, and it's not because I want to, it's because I have to. This is simply because we'll end the challenge early (it doesn't make sense if there are one 7 people and 8 challenges to do :\).

ValkyrieWing
09-10-2006, 03:18 AM
Mum is judging mine?

I am SO dead...:P

lovehurts
09-10-2006, 03:20 AM
Sorry tan and the art work is beautifull guys. :)

Not so many memmbers left. Soon there will be a winner.

tan
09-10-2006, 03:20 AM
Mum is judging mine?

I am SO dead...:P

You have immunity, remember? :)

Oh, yeah, plus the fact that people were already erased for this challenge. I forgot to mention that. So no one will be erased this challenge.

lovehurts
09-10-2006, 03:22 AM
Tan thank you for the great time.:)

Sorry I had to drop out.

GOOD LUCK TO THE REMAINING!!!!

Phil
09-10-2006, 04:55 AM
so how many people are actually still in the competition?

Oh btw- sorry to 41-inches that it took me so long to get you the ms paint peice- arg- I did it, I just forgot to send it to you and now I feel like a jerk 'cause you did all that work and now you have to change it...... but yeah... oh and Tan- grade me down, not 41 inches. the original design she did was brilliant- it was my fault if it's late. It wont happen again- I promise :D

ValkyrieWing
09-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Everyone's looks so amazing, and I think the judges are going to have a much more difficult time this time around. :)

lovehurts
09-10-2006, 06:42 AM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%204/model2.jpg

If she was shorter and wore glasses adn was skinnier she would look like my 1st and only crush that Ive ever had.:choc2: Beautifull drawing by the way.

Zeromus_X
09-10-2006, 06:49 AM
Yeah, wow, ValkyrieWing.

tan
09-10-2006, 09:20 AM
so how many people are actually still in the competition?

Oh btw- sorry to 41-inches that it took me so long to get you the ms paint peice- arg- I did it, I just forgot to send it to you and now I feel like a jerk 'cause you did all that work and now you have to change it...... but yeah... oh and Tan- grade me down, not 41 inches. the original design she did was brilliant- it was my fault if it's late. It wont happen again- I promise :D

There are 7 left now.

And as an announcement:

If you are going to guest judge please do it soon. Remember, it's 0.5 extra points for your overall score. If you decide not to do it, you lose 0.5 points. If you have decided that you do not feel like guest judging, please tell me. For a list of who is guest judging who and the criteria for guest judging, go to art showcase page (the page where I posted the pieces).

Nominus Experse
09-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Mind if I post I post it tommorow, at around 10:00AM?

Little tired as of right now, but very willing. Either way, I'll write a detailed report on Mum by 10:00AM tommorow.

G'night

tan
09-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Mind if I post I post it tommorow, at around 10:00AM?

Little tired as of right now, but very willing. Either way, I'll write a detailed report on Mum by 10:00AM tommorow.

G'night

That's fine, Nominus.

I forgot to mention:
When you write the review, be sure to include a score. Rate it from 1-10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best. You don't need to write a long review or anything, but I do want a few comments on how you feel about the piece, how wearable it seems to be, how believable it is, etc.

Zeldy
09-10-2006, 05:57 PM
when do you want the result things in? o:

Nominus Experse
09-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Review for Mum
Score: 8.5

Reasoning:
The transition of the supplied pattern to that of a dress is quite feasible. The dress is simple, yet very fun, like that of a light summer dress. The only complaints that come to mind is that the pattern, particularily that of the lemon/lime lines adorning the dress, seem to unnaturally stand out from the rest of the colours on the dress. Could be a trick of the eye, nothing more, but all the same, the lines seem to be a little apart from the rest of the other colours as they stand out far more than I think they ought to of.

The background is simple and accented with a a darker blue and a touch of green, effectivey relaxing the eye with cool colours and subtley allowing the viewer to make his association with the importance and "sunny day" feeling the dress implies. Simple and yet very effective, which really reflects what the entire premise of this competition was. I like seeing that done in the background.

The hair is done very nicely, the hands and arms are held in a natural, realistic state, and the face and eyes are mostly proportional and anatomically correct (the jaw seemed a little broad for that of woman's). The shading was simple but very well executed.

My only complaints concerning the actual model is that of her lips. To be perfectly honest, they look like something of a smear of natural lip colour. The colour is perfect, but the shape is something to be desired, and leaves me feeling a little... That one small, seemingly minute detail in all reality is a prominent feature, whther thats good or bad.

So really, Mum, as always, wonderful job, and I always enjoy looking at your work. The only things I have to complain about are a few small details that I imagine if you had more time, you would clean up. Just some minor flaws keep me from giving you a higher score.

Hope that was satisfactory.

ValkyrieWing
09-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Clone#01:

Originality- I can appreciate the simplicity of your pattern...it almost reminds me of falling leaves. But, it is almost TOO simple. It's maybe even a little boring.

Artistic Value- It's a very graceful pattern, in truth, the flow of line is very nice. I wish that a different color pallet had been chosen, even to replacing the black with wine red or something. Black and white, while artistic, dosen't end up giving a lot of energy to a piece. And what's with the white frame?

Pattern Versatility- VERY easily converted to an outfit. You could do it almost thoughtlessly, and that's my issue. There's almost NO challenge here, unfotunately. It's a little bit too easy, I think.

SCORE: 6.5

A nice pattern, but too simple. That's the only downfall.

Oh, dear...I hope I wasn't too harsh on you, Clone... ^_^;;

lovehurts
09-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Some of these arent patterns they are more so abstract designs.

tan
09-10-2006, 07:26 PM
when do you want the result things in? o:

You don't need to be a guest judge, Zeldy. I changed it so you and lovehurts didn't have to be one. If you want to guest judge, you could guest judge all the pieces, I suppose.

Clone 01
09-10-2006, 10:20 PM
i just have to say that i only did it so simply is becoz thats what was said in the rules and the examples givin,it said to give a simple abstract design so thats what i did.if i'd of known it was supposed to be more complicated i would have made it that.

EDIT:ill give my review soon.

41-Inches-Wide
09-11-2006, 01:38 AM
I will review Zeromus_X's design, right?
*writes* will pass a little later.

tan
09-11-2006, 02:01 AM
i just have to say that i only did it so simply is becoz thats what was said in the rules and the examples givin,it said to give a simple abstract design so thats what i did.if i'd of known it was supposed to be more complicated i would have made it that.

EDIT:ill give my review soon.

I said in the rules for it to be simple yet artistic and beautiful. I guess any MS Paint will be simple, so judging on how complex it is is a little unfair. I'll inform ValkyrieWing of this.

EDIT: I looked over her review, and I think what she means is that it is a bit too simple (thus it being boring). I mean, look at Phil's MS Paint pattern. That's simple enough, but it's not boring. I guess she kind of marked off because it was just boring. I'll ask her to explain a little more.

Mum
09-11-2006, 03:18 AM
I am very pleased to be able to judge ValkyrieWing's submission. It was, as usual, excellent.

Pattern: May have been designed with the finished article in mind, much like a designer dress would be, so that is appropriate. The design had real style to it, feminine but bold (much like its designer, I should imagine, which is also good as a designer dress and indeed any artwork, should be able to reflect its creator). Beautiful colours, simple and flowing lines, symmetry and good form. This kind of design lends itself to material, and (without insulting the dress!) could even be used for curtains!

Model: Wow.
I just don't know how you do it, but you do it consistently well, V.
The depiction/translation of the model wearing the fabric made into a designer gown is almost perfect, but there is no setting or background. This is more like a designer's sketch in a marketing situation or pattern book, so again, appropriate for the challenge, but for marking purposes on this occasion, marked down.
As for believability/what would I think if I saw this dress in real life?...I want to know where I can get me one!
(Critique or jealousy?...>Model too thin - bring back voluptuous models!)

Almost perfectly completed challenge. Well done.

Some of these arent patterns they are more so abstract designs.If you go into a material shop, you'll find that thats what a lot of the patterns are.

Use the edit/delete button if you have something else to add! ;D -kikimm

ValkyrieWing
09-11-2006, 07:58 AM
When I said it was simple, i meant that it was a little TOO easy to translate into the outfit. No offense intended. :)

I wanted to put a background on mine, but when i did so, i felt it detracted from the overall veiw of the dress. I took stained glass as my inspiration.

Thanks for the niceness, Mum. :)

41-Inches-Wide
09-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Zeromus_X's

I scored you an eight (8)!

Originality - It's a pattern amazingly like one of my big sister's bedspread! But I can't hold it against you, it's not like you went and copied a my sis' bedspread pattern. :D Anyway, considering the design itself, I find it perfect. It's abstract, it's um well patterny!

Artistic Value - I absolutely loved what you were going with this, the jaggedy lines, how you placed the lines, overall look), and I think the tiny yellow lines are fantastic and charming. I especially like the pattern in general.

But I didn't understand the color scheme. I didn't get how cyan, pink, fuschia, light green, yellow and royal blue (!) would work well together without being pastels. The tiny yellow lines are already great as the color that stands out among the others, but the royal blue is a bit rough and confusing on the eyes. For example, one blue color on the left side looks like a whale. The other on the bottom left looks like a fertility vase. And the other I don't know.

Pattern Versatility - the pattern looks like it's absolutely exclusively made for fabric. :3 And that's fabulous, especially for this challenge.

tan
09-12-2006, 01:11 AM
I'll need all of the reviews by the end of today!

Since the next challenge is coming up soon, I'll give you a hint as to what you'll have to draw:

It has to deal with the seven deadly sins...

This hint pretty much sums up next challenge, but I wouldn't start just yet because there's a TWIST in store... (or is there? xD)

Zeromus_X
09-12-2006, 01:28 AM
((Is not so great at reviewing things))

Phil-Overall-8

Originality-8

For originality, I'd say it's actually somewhat original. Many of the designs used cool and darker colors, so it's refreshing to see warm colors and a bold design. The grey tones also don't seem to conflict with the red and white, at least to me.

Artistic value-9

It's very neat, and much better than I could ever do on Paint. I applaud you for making such an organized pattern with that kind of media. The pattern is actually quite complex (for a pattern made in Paint) too, so overall it's really creative.

How easily it can be translated into clothing-7

Unfortunately, if I were trying to transfer this pattern to clothing, I'd probably have to think very hard about what to do with this pattern, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing (more creativity is never bad). It just seems that'd it'd be a bit too complex for a clothing designer to transfer adequately.

Overall: Good job! I'm impressed at anyone that could do something like this in Paint. xD :cat:

But I didn't understand the color scheme. I didn't get how cyan, pink, fuschia, light green, yellow and royal blue (!) would work well together without being pastels. The tiny yellow lines are already great as the color that stands out among the others, but the royal blue is a bit rough and confusing on the eyes. For example, one blue color on the left side looks like a whale. The other on the bottom left looks like a fertility vase. And the other I don't know.

Mum did suggest using summer-y colors, so I thought those would fit well. :P xD

And yeah, I've noticed the whole shape thing. I tried making the colors not be unbalanced like that, but I guess I messed up somewhere around there. xD :cat:

black orb
09-12-2006, 04:01 AM
>>> Guess what, tan asked me to judge again..

Ok.. I just hope the contestants understand my points of view and dont get mad because of this.. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh or something..

1- All the patterns have the same "artistic" value to me because any pattern can adapt well into a clothing design if the designer knows how to do it right.. So in the end the real challenge is adapt the pattern into a suitable piece of cloth..
Sorry for being such a pain in the butt, but I just cant judge the patterns unless I give them all the same score..

2- So regarding the previous statement, what Im going to judge is mostly the cloth designer`s work and how well they adapted certain pattern into a suitable yet original piece of cloth.. Due to that I guess the two contestants who worked together will have the same score that im posting here..

3- I was surprised how everyone only used gals as models, cmon isnt that a bit un-original?..

>>> Now lets go to the judging..

Zeromus_x and mum..
Well, the pattern here was more suitable for a little girl`s swimsuit than a gorgeous model wearing an one piece dress..
Score= 04

Clone 01 and Nominus Experse
Well the dress fits the pattern, so its all fine..
Score= 06

Valkyriewing
Well Valkyriewing did her own pattern so that made things easier for her, because pattern and dress fits perfectly..
Score= 08

Phil and 41-inches-wide
Wow you guys must be pro Fashion Designers or something XD, Best pattern/dress adaptation so far, the clothing design here is very original too..
Score= 10

BTW, sorry for my lame grammar or if this dont make any sense at all..:P

tan
09-12-2006, 05:11 AM
Because of our double-erasing (Zeldy and lovehurts) due to dropping out, no one else will be erased this challenge. Before I post the reviews, let me introduce the judges:

We have koyasuslave, the very generous reviewer.
Black orb, the seasoned winner of the first art competition, has already posted his reviews.
And finally, we have the guest judges, who were the contestants. Phil and Clone#01 were the only ones who did not send in their review, so I decided to go against my better judgement, and become a guest judge, but just for the missing reviews.

Before I announce the winners, let me post koyasuslave's reviews and the extra two guest judge reviews I did.

koyasuslave's reviews:

Group #1- "It gets a 9! OMG! I want that dress! But sadly green doesn't look well on me. *pouts* Anyways! I'll just say I love this pic, there's just sooooooooooooooooooo many things to say on why I love it, for this short review."
Group #3- "They get an 8. I love the setting of this! It's always good to see what people would take the gothic look to drawings and clothes. I definitely would see this dress at Hot Topic. I would but it too if Hot Topic would make their dresses and pants more my size. I definitely don't wear juniors clothes, but I'm not basing my judging on that! Nominus should be a designer for Hot Topic!!!!!!!!!"
Group #4- No review due to late turn-in, but she did give a score.
ValkyrieWing- "I knew she gets imunity, but I got to say this> Oi! Fuu! When I get a sewing machine and fabric and make this dress, would you wear it? LOL!"

My guest judge reviews:

Nominus Experse:
I would say that the whole dress is very nice, I like the ruffling on the bottom, but the translation of the pattern was only done in one spot. However, I believe this would have been rather tacky if the whole thing had been the translation of the pattern, so I understand where you're coming from. It was a good dress, and the accessories give it great detail and much more believability. I like how you have a very dark and complex style; it's very good.

41-inches-wide:
This was my favorite piece. I like how you didn't just take what your partner did and simply put it onto the shirt behind the top jacket, and actually transformed it into something that looks wearable. The way the outfit stood out compared to the rest of the others was what made me think this was a really good piece. In the real world, it would not look very practical, but I think it could be pulled off. The plainness of the shirt under the jacket was a very good move because if you put the pattern in that, it would've looked terrible and I think you really thought this through. I also like the scarf because it adds a little more to the outfit. Good job!

And now for the winner:

I'd like the names of:
ValkyrieWing
Phil
and
41-inches-wide
to be highlighted. If you were not called, then you are not the winner of this challenge, but you are still going on to the next round. Congratulations.

ValkyrieWing: This is your second week in the top three, and it's no surprise. The judges felt as though your piece was very well-drawn, very well executed, but, after all, you were your own partner, so one may say that it was easier to translate your MS Paint piece into your dress. Your only problem that one may see is that the bottom of the dress was blank; you should've made it shorter or even possibly drawn a slit on the side, which might've helped. However, it was still a very good piece.

Phil: You are the only pattern maker in the top 3. Your piece was well made and wasn't just a bunch of lines. You thought it out well and it was easily translated. The colors may have been the only problem, because the orange doesn't seem to go very well with the gray, but it is still very good. You took a chance by giving your partner a risky pattern, which was appreciated by the judges. You thought this through, and it's apparent. Your design was edgy and creative, which set it apart from the other designs.

41-inches-wide: You took a risk, and your piece was outstanding. It looks odd, in a way, but the overall quality of it is very good. You made very intelligent choices (such as the under shirt that was plain) and the fact that you didn't just make a dress and simply draw the pattern on was a very good idea. You were the only one to make a jacket, which suited your pattern. One may say the only critique is the scarf: it goes a bit too over the top, but it was a nice touch. Overall, you did excellent.

Phil, you're not the winner, but you are accepted. Congratulations for making it to the next round.

So it brings it down to you two: ValkyrieWing and 41-inches-wide...
ValkyrieWing, you're not the winner for this week, but you are accepted and thus you move onto the next challenge. Congratulations on being in the top 3 two weeks in a row and for making to the fifth challenge.

This only leaves you, 41-inches-wide, which means you're the winner for this challenge. Congratulations on getting immunity for next week and getting the first pick on the first challenge (you'll learn more about this later).

I would just like to say the difference between #1 and #2 were very close... They were only separated by 0.1 points! Here are the overall rankings:

1. 41-inches-wide- 9.3
2. ValkyrieWing- 9.2
3. Phil- 7.8
4. Mum- 7.7
5. Nominus Experse- 7
6. Zeromus_X- 6.8
7. Clone#01- 5.7

Congratulations on all of you for making it to the next round! I'll post the next challenge in a bit.

41-Inches-Wide
09-12-2006, 01:34 PM
:crying2: I've Never Won Anything In My Life Before!

Congratulations to Zeromus_X and Mum (was that a serious manipulation of pastels I saw! OMG! I have to watch out for your pieces!) because they made a great team on challenge#4! And to these winners Valkyriewing and Phil! You guys are nothing short of a morsel of fantastic, considering one did all the work herself and the other has never disappointed with his pieces (be it for this challenge or in his other works)!

EDIT: Yay! **

Clone 01
09-12-2006, 03:57 PM
sorry i took so long to post,should i bother giving me review so late?

tan
09-12-2006, 07:14 PM
No, Clone#01, because I already guest judge'd for the two spots that needed the score. Sorry.

Clone 01
09-12-2006, 08:05 PM
ok,sorry about that,i was just kinda busy.

Mum
09-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Congratulations to 41IW and the runner ups!

I'm really enjoying this!

tan
09-13-2006, 03:03 AM
I have decided to start putting the rules in new posts, because the hassle of going to the first post for everything is getting a bit ridiculous, and now that I look back on it, if they archive this thread people won't know what each challenge was about because I keep on having to take it down for the next set of rules. So, I'll just start posting them in a new post. Be sure to keep your eyes open for them!

Challenge 5: "These Sins Can't Get Any More Deadlier"

Draw the seven sins into people (male or female, it doesn't matter). Color is highly recommended. You will pick a sin to draw from this list:
Greed (http://www.answers.com/topic/greed)
Lust (http://www.answers.com/lust)
Gluttony (http://www.answers.com/topic/gluttony)
Pride (http://www.answers.com/topic/pride)
Envy (http://www.answers.com/topic/envy)
Sloth (http://www.answers.com/topic/sloth)
Anger (http://www.answers.com/topic/anger)

Because two people may not do the same sins, the order (or priority) in which the sins are chosen will be decided by how you ranked last challenge.

1. 41-inches-wide
2. ValkyrieWing
3. Phil
4. Mum
5. Nominus Experse
6. Zeromus_X
7. Clone#01

-Please post which sin you want, do not PM me them.
-Be sure to look through the posts before you post which sin you want just in case someone higher than you already picked it.
-If you notice someone has a sin that you want, and you are higher ranking than them, you may choose it and they will have to pick another one.
-You do not have to wait until the people who ranked above you has chosen what they want; you may choose one sin that you want to draw, but beware as it is subject to change if the people who are higher up want it
-This means that 41-inches-wide gets first priority, ValkyrieWing gets second, etc.
-Any sin that you have chosen and already posted is final.
-You may not change your mind and decide to do another one

To be sure everyone picks their topics on time, if someone lower than you picks one and you do not respond within 24 hours as to which sin it may be, you do not get that sin, even if you request for it. I will be allowing people to pick for two days, and at the end of Friday (here) if you still not have chosen, I will pick one for you. The deadline will then be set when everyone has chosen.

If you want to explain your picture and show why you drew what you drew, you are free to give the judges an explanation when you send me your picture. This is not necessary, but if you draw something symbolic you think the judges may not understand, it would be wise to give an explanation.

Good luck, and be sure to ask questions if you have any.

Nominus Experse
09-13-2006, 04:30 AM
Here are my choices, ranked so if someone bumps me:

Lust
Gluttony
Anger
Envy
Pride
Greed
Sloth

41-Inches-Wide
09-13-2006, 04:35 AM
Okay, lust.
But I will do this tastefully. Since I am a prude.

Nominus Experse
09-13-2006, 04:52 AM
Shades...

ValkyrieWing
09-13-2006, 04:56 AM
Hmmmm...I think that greed intruiges me. :P

tan
09-13-2006, 05:07 AM
This means that lust and greed are now taken. There's still anger, envy, pride, sloth, and gluttony left.

Phil
09-13-2006, 01:11 PM
I'll go with anger

Clone 01
09-13-2006, 02:41 PM
damn i wanted greed,lol. ill take gluttony.

btw im going away today and will be back on saturday so sry if there is any inconveniance!

Mum
09-13-2006, 11:21 PM
I'll take pride.

tan
09-14-2006, 01:02 AM
The list so far:

1. 41-inches-wide- lust
2. ValkyrieWing- greed
3. Phil- anger
4. Mum- pride
5. Nominus Experse- gluttony
6. Zeromus_X- envy
7. Clone#01- sloth

P.S. You may start on your piece, if you'd like. I have decided that the deadline will be September 29th, and I have decided to take off the time because it just screws up everything.

Zeromus_X
09-14-2006, 01:18 AM
I guess I'll pick Envy.

ValkyrieWing
09-14-2006, 04:42 AM
Good luck, everybody!

41-Inches-Wide
09-15-2006, 02:31 AM
*steals all the good luck*
I'm gonna need it.

Avarice-ness
09-15-2006, 05:16 AM
VW WILL WIN, BECAUSE GREED > YOU GUYS SIN!

No really she will. JUST YOU WATCH. Have fun guys. If there was any contest I would have wanted to take it would have been this one. 'Cept I would have had greed. ^^;

Good luck (Yeah and Like, the only reason Pride is semi-okay is 'cause Pride thinks they don't need anything to be better which is incorrect~~)

*backs out slowly*

ValkyrieWing
09-15-2006, 05:51 AM
T_T

I wish you had stayed, Avarice...

Avarice-ness
09-15-2006, 06:17 AM
T_T

I wish you had stayed, Avarice...

I know, I'm sorry I had to get out, but things happen. Like I said though, Still stalking around here.

*cough*Plus greeds gonna win*cough* so I have too. :)

tan
09-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Even though there's now new news today, I updated the top-artist Deviant Art with the second challenge's pictures.

http://top-artist.deviantart.com

I'll post the third challenge's pictures on there soon :D

Clone 01
09-16-2006, 10:31 PM
just lettin you's no im back from my trip.and i take it i was forced to take sloth becoz f the order of rank.i dont fully uderstand sloth though but ill try.

Nominus Experse
09-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Sloth - think really fucking lazy.

It's when people completely and utterly opt not to do any mental, physical, and/or work.

Clone 01
09-17-2006, 01:10 PM
oh right,ok,thanks nominus

Mum
09-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Hey, Clone - to do this challenge absolutely perfectly, just don't do anything at all. At worst, submit a blank piece of paper, depicting that you're too lethargic to do any more than that!