08-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Round 6 rules are now posted:

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1887455&postcount=540

Cookie
08-08-2006, 11:33 PM
I would like to join please if posible.

Spiffing Cheese
08-09-2006, 12:03 AM
It's the best fricking thing here! Yay! I'm a dirty dirty whore!

I would enter but as I already said my art is stick figures with heads that are grossly out of proportion. :)

Zeldy
08-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Oh, I need a good challenge :)
I need something to get me back into drawing.

Mum
08-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Although I am quite busy at work, I would like to be part of this.
A couple of questions:
1. Can I use artwork that I've already done/posted, if it falls into a category?
2. Over what time period will this last? (There are some days I am away from my computer or don't get to log in at all).

Rocket Edge
08-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Erm.. I'm going away on saturday for two weeks. I guess i can't compete no?

Meat Puppet
08-09-2006, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the offer, tan. I'm in. I was originally going to decline—my inspiration becomes sparse once there's competition involved—but really I have nothing else to do. I think I might get some fun out of it.

A quick question, if I may. Will all the challenges be restricted to drawing only? For example, if we were asked to create an elephant, and I created one from paper-maché, would that still be acceptable?

tan
08-09-2006, 01:35 AM
Technically, Meat Puppet, I would have to say no, but I guess I'll make a rule saying that that's allowed. If it's a challenge restricted to drawing, then you won't be able to do that sort of thing, and actually, you've inspired a new challenge out of me! :D

Rye
08-09-2006, 03:00 AM
I'm excited about this competition and I'm very happy to be a judge! The categories are really interesting too, and I love them, especially because they're all very different and require different skills. This should be a great competition. And like tan said, you can ask me questions too! :)

Moon Rabbits
08-09-2006, 03:09 AM
I'm a bit worried about Zeldy's skill. I've never seen any of Meat Puppet's stuff, so I don't know about his.

I'm definitely scared of how badly Mum will obliterate my art with hers. :p

:| And Nominus, he's gonna do good too.

Rengori
08-09-2006, 04:13 AM
Since Mum's in, and Black Orb will probably take part in this, I'm just gonna sit back and watch.

Nominus Experse
08-09-2006, 04:17 AM
It may be a good idea, tan or Rye, to PM/e-mail all of us, or those that ask of you to do so, when there are new challenges, complete with the specifications and whatnot.

I suggest this because some of us may not be regularily visiting the site each and every day, and recieving an e-mail would alert us that there was a new challenge or somthing of that nature.

Basically, you may want to find a way to safeguard any of us not knowing when and what the new challenge is so that we don't end up with anyone proclaiming that they didn't have enough time due to the fact that they didn't check the thread or forum or whatever.

Just a thought on how to ensure that none of the beforementioned occurs.

Having this stickied so it remains at the top may also be of aid, so that it doesn't sink beneath a sudden and unexpected influx of threads.

lovehurts
08-09-2006, 04:33 AM
Heck if not to win, Ill enter just for an accuse to do some art work. I always did enjoy getting art assignments from the teacher. I could use some practice. COunt me in!

Reine
08-09-2006, 04:48 AM
Rengori, I think youd do pretty well.

I got an invite to participate, but I doubt I'll do any good, as im extremely limited with what I can draw, and how I draw.

lovehurts
08-09-2006, 04:54 AM
Reine , just enter for fun. A true artist wouldnt think that he/she could win this anyways. Art is in the eye of the beholder. Just have fun and share a good attempt with everyone. Im sure that I will love your attempts and appreciate them. Every artist here knows how much time and love goes into art work , so dont expect any one to put any one down. What looks like junk to some looks brillant to others and vise versa. What is important is that you have fun and give it your all.:)

EDIt given that:Count me in , again, incase you didnt catch it the 1st time.:)

ValkyrieWing
08-09-2006, 04:55 AM
I'm in.

Dr Unne
08-09-2006, 05:07 AM
I'd join this if I had time. I can't remember the last time I finished a drawing in less than a few weeks. If you still need judges, I'm willing to be one.

lovehurts
08-09-2006, 05:11 AM
I must admitt that I am an underdog. My work has been put down behind many greats here. But its all good fun .:D

I cant wait for our 1st assignment.

Mum
08-09-2006, 05:35 AM
I definitely do not want to scare any people away from joining in this fun! I am sure that people using fancy things like photoshop will be better than my scribbles! I take it we can all use photography too?

lovehurts
08-09-2006, 05:46 AM
I am not in, I have to try out 1st it appears.:p

tan
08-09-2006, 05:52 AM
Just to address questions:

Nominus Experse- We plan to do that, where we send out e-mails to every contestant still participating (meaning that we will not send an annoying e-mail to someone who's already been "erased," that would just be like putting salt in the wound). I've already been told that this thread can't be stickied by the Admin., so I'm not going to push my luck and ask them to sticky it because I don't want to annoy them. I guess we'll just have to have random people bumping every so hour to keep it on this page. I've already advertised this competition in #eoff, and I'll probably go in there from time to time to ask someone to comment. Otherwise, it'll be up to us to update what we think about the pictures posted, etc. By the way, before the competition begins, I'll PM all of the contestents even more rules and things like that, and get everyone's e-mail.

Mum- I'm sorry, but I'm not going to include photography in this competition, mostly because most of the challenges are centered around drawing. Of course, if you don't have a scanner for your drawing, you could just take a photo of your picture and send it to me, which isn't the same as photography. Sorry if any of you misunderstood this, but this competition will only be for drawings and things like that. Not to say, you'll be restricted to drawing all the time. There may be one or two challenge where you will have to improvise with inanimate objects... :D

Reine
08-09-2006, 07:09 AM
Okay, a lot of people have suggested I do join, so what the heck, I'll give it a go. I just need to buy some art supplies tomorrow so I can actually draw stuff..

Slade
08-09-2006, 07:33 AM
I WOULD have joined but I have like, zero time at the moment and it takes me a while to complete one picture :(

So I'll watch from a distance :bigsmile:

Miriel
08-09-2006, 08:02 AM
Drawing isn't my thing, so I won't be entering the contest. But I'll be a judge if you still need 'em.

tan
08-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Oh, by the way, if any of you were told that I you were going to be a contestant and I forgot to announce you, be sure to PM me ASAP so there's not 13 people in the competition because my stupid mistake -_-

Rocket Edge
08-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Rengori i think you should join, i think you could do pretty well.

I won't be joining, i'm going on holidays during that time, so good luck to everyone participating.

Rye
08-09-2006, 01:45 PM
I can't wait to see the last 3 contestants, but the spots are going fast, so hurry up and send your auditions via PM before time is out! :)

ValkyrieWing
08-09-2006, 06:14 PM
FYI, I do stuff by hand...and I work, but I'll do my best to be able to hit the deadlines. ^_^

Zeldy
08-09-2006, 08:46 PM
I dont have acsess to a Scanner or Digital Camera, but I can take pictures of my drawings by Webcam. Would that be ok?

Dignified Pauper
08-09-2006, 08:53 PM
i nominate Old Manus and will direct him to this thread. His Paint skills are phenomenol.

tan
08-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Zeldy- That's perfectly fine! Whatever you want :)

Old Manus
08-09-2006, 11:09 PM
i nominate Old Manus and will direct him to this thread. His Paint skills are phenomenol.:cool:

Old Manus
08-09-2006, 11:12 PM
I just PMed you my 'portfolio'.

Avarice-ness
08-09-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm in. ^^

And if Black Orb joins, then him and mum are going to own us all.
Oh and by the way everyone. I FIXED MY TABLET! =DDDD
Erm.. Anyway, Yeah I'm back. <3.

Moon Rabbits
08-10-2006, 01:17 AM
:( Now I have to compete against Ava too? I hope you can draw well INSIDE MY STOMACH >|

:o Manus double posted.

Nominus Experse
08-10-2006, 01:48 AM
Damn, where the FREAKING HELL are Black Orb and Rocket Edge? Curses be to it all...

tan
08-10-2006, 01:52 AM
Rocket Edge said he couldn't do it because he's going on vacation. However, he may be a guest judge on a future challenge, so yeah. I don't even know where black orb is.

Avarice-ness
08-10-2006, 03:18 AM
I like that Aisle is the only one veiwing me as a threat, since I never post my art in threads. n n And yeah I can draw well in your tummy, My tablets back in action.

Zeromus_X
08-10-2006, 03:25 AM
Well, I guess I'll try out too, if it isn't too late.

tan
08-10-2006, 03:27 AM
Zeromus_X, please PM your pictures. I may have to get rid of one contestant because of this...

Zeromus_X
08-10-2006, 03:31 AM
Oh! Well, okay. Any of my drawings? How many? I didn't get much info from the first post, it says that the challenge will be posted in awhile.

lovehurts
08-10-2006, 04:39 AM
LET"S DO IT!!!! :D :D Im ready!

Nominus Experse
08-10-2006, 04:44 AM
Can Sammiebabe provide pictures of herself? I have no idea as to what she looks like, and seeing as this is a competition that deals with her and her features and her passed down features, it would be of great help to know.

Rengori
08-10-2006, 04:45 AM
I'm siding with Nominus Experse here.

Agent Proto
08-10-2006, 04:46 AM
There are pictures of her in the Album.

tan
08-10-2006, 04:47 AM
http://www.eyesonff.com/members/album/17031/sammiebabe3
Use this picture, if you want.

Nominus Experse
08-10-2006, 04:52 AM
Thank you - I needed to be able to model her face and shoulders

lovehurts
08-10-2006, 07:18 AM
I need to let out a loud roar in text to maintain my sanity.

RAGHHHH!!!!!

Im going strong baby !! going strong.

tan
08-10-2006, 07:35 AM
Nice to see you have enthusiasm, lovehurts :D

ValkyrieWing
08-10-2006, 08:22 AM
I did mine based on her sig pic...it was very fun to draw that...^_^

lovehurts
08-10-2006, 08:39 AM
I think Ill go listen to "under pressure" a david bowie song.

EDIt: oooh mother....
Ooooh mother .... PRESSURE PUSHING ON ME!!! PRESSING DOWN ON YOU!!!!

*now that is fun!!!* I need this challenge I hope I can stay in it , it makes me a better person.

Da awe...uh awe....These are the days worth liviing for. a bae a da do ed people on the streets ad de da de da! Its a terror knowing what this world is about watching some good friends scream let me out!!!

WHY CANT WE GIVE LOVE OUR ONE MORE CHANCE!!!!!? I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!

almopst 4 am . BRING IT FATHER TIME AND PAPPA SLEEPY!!! BRING IT!!! I WILL PREVAIL!!!!

tan
08-10-2006, 09:22 AM
I think Ill go listen to "under pressure" a david bowie song.

EDIt: oooh mother....
Ooooh mother .... PRESSURE PUSHING ON ME!!! PRESSING DOWN ON YOU!!!!

*now that is fun!!!* I need this challenge I hope I can stay in it , it makes me a better person.

Da awe...uh awe....These are the days worth liviing for. a bae a da do ed people on the streets ad de da de da! Its a terror knowing what this world is about watching some good friends scream let me out!!!

WHY CANT WE GIVE LOVE OUR ONE MORE CHANCE!!!!!? I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!

almopst 4 am . BRING IT FATHER TIME AND PAPPA SLEEPY!!! BRING IT!!! I WILL PREVAIL!!!!

With all this excitement of yours, your painting better be pretty damn good :)

lovehurts
08-10-2006, 09:48 AM
With all this excitement of yours, your painting better be pretty damn good :)

You said drawing...didnt you/? I got to go pass out somewhere. Hope it was worth my time.

Rye
08-10-2006, 01:17 PM
I love this first challenge. :) Good luck with your art, guys.

Zeldy
08-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Im better drawing with something for a reference, I havnt seen many babys in my life xD
This is hard. I apologise in advance If I offend you Sammiebabe :(

Owen Macwere
08-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Well, good luck everyone, I liked to join but I am crazy busy these days, good luck nyway. ;)

Avarice-ness
08-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Everyone's crazyness is making me Lol. This is a fun challenge I don't draw babies to much. =D

Rocket Edge
08-10-2006, 05:38 PM
I can't wait to see the first one done.

lovehurts
08-10-2006, 05:41 PM
So far Im at 6 hours into mine Im still going to go with it if I can. 'Good morning America.

This has become my baby I sleep with it next to my bed.
please baby dont hurt me.

What do we do when we are done?

I feature a toddler and the baby both in it. Just so there wont be confussion.

SammieBabe
08-10-2006, 09:32 PM

FYI - That's not me in my sig...;)

I'm sure you guys will all do great...:)

Shaun
08-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Lol, I am so entering this 'challenge'. I'll get to work later. I am laughing in my chair, speculating. Oh, I am evil.

Edit: Bugger! No more places? Ah, too bad.

lovehurts
08-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Lol, I am so entering this 'challenge'. I'll get to work later. I am laughing in my chair, speculating. Oh, I am evil.

Edit: Bugger! No more places? Ah, too bad.

My friend auditions are up. Im sorry. Root for lovehurts to get a free ipod...:p

Sammiebabe I enjoyed drawing you and your baby even if I did a bad job...which I hope I didnt.

Mum
08-11-2006, 01:30 AM
Since I am at work and it already 12.30pm FRIDAY, that means I have only 4 hours or so to come up with something, scan it and email it. (Remember NZ is ahead of the rest of the world!) No probs, but don't be surprised if I get bumped in the first round! Ha ha. Its okay, I'm here for the fun of the challenge!
Cheers.

Reine
08-11-2006, 01:39 AM
I apologise in advance if I royally screw up my picture, as drawing humans and other living existing animals is my weak point with art, as ive never been able to draw them well..just my luck to be hit in the weak point for the very first challenge :eep:

Only got a day or so to complete it, as I too, am in New Zealand (A quarter of the competitors are from NZ, woohoo!)

Mum
08-11-2006, 03:02 AM
ok, so I've done a pencil drawing, but how do I attach it on a PM?
Theres no little paperclip thingy?
(The file is a .jpg)
Help?

Rengori
08-11-2006, 03:07 AM
(The file is a .jpg)
Help?I'll PM my photobucket password to you and you can host it there.

Agent Proto
08-11-2006, 03:07 AM
You would probably need to email it to tan then.

Mum
08-11-2006, 03:14 AM
(The file is a .jpg)
Help?I'll PM my photobucket password to you and you can host it there.

I've got my own photobucket account. Do I then press "Link" and copy & paste the tag line on the PM?

Rengori
08-11-2006, 03:16 AM
Yes, you can do that.

lovehurts
08-11-2006, 03:56 AM
Who do I send it to?Tan did you get my final copy?

Reine
08-11-2006, 04:04 AM
Im having a lot of trouble atm, may not be able to get much done

ValkyrieWing
08-11-2006, 04:11 AM

FYI - That's not me in my sig...;)

I'm sure you guys will all do great...:)

o_O

CRAP!

*goes to revamp....*:eek:

lovehurts
08-11-2006, 04:12 AM
Everyone it's ok. Calm down. I have admired and respected all of your work. It's going to be ok for all of you.

Moon Rabbits
08-11-2006, 04:31 AM
This baby is giving me a lot of trouble. I'm almost done the majority of the drawing, but the noses still look off. Oh well. I won't be surprised if I'm bumped this round. :( Babies aren't my specialty, that's for sure.

EDIT: Tan is three hours behind me, which means I have 'til 3am Saturday morning :D

Avarice-ness
08-11-2006, 04:35 AM
*giggles* That was fun. ^^
It's my first picture since my tablet got fixed. =D!
And I am proud.
So we just Pm to Tan right? :D

Moon Rabbits
08-11-2006, 04:47 AM
This is looking more and more like an exorcist baby by the minute :(

Reine
08-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Woo, got my PC running. Im still in the planning stages, and ive found that 2H pencils are awesome for drafts, theyre so light and easy to erase. Basically I'll be sketching while listening to Sonic 2 remixes for most of the night

ValkyrieWing
08-11-2006, 05:01 AM
O_O

T_T

Babies are HARD...

Reine
08-11-2006, 05:07 AM
Yeah, im going to have to use photos to draw from, got plenty of baby photos on mums PC I can use...again I apolgise in advance for how bad I'll probably draw both you and the baby, SammieBabe :(

ValkyrieWing
08-11-2006, 05:09 AM
Ditto on the apology....T_T

Somehow...someway...i was able to integrate a MOOGLE into this picture...

O_O WTF???

Instead of posting twice in a row, use the handy dandy edit button!- kikimm

lovehurts
08-11-2006, 05:36 AM
mine has already been scored...This thread is going for an all time high with page views.

Mum
08-11-2006, 05:39 AM
Ahhh - finally sent my entry to Tan via normal email just before I leave work for the weekend...I'm IN!
Its just a pencil sketch which I did in my lunch hour, so I hope that keeps me in play...I suppose theres no way of getting chocolate fish or pineapple lumps to each of the judges homes in the next 12 hours...?

tan
08-11-2006, 05:40 AM
Yes, I did get your picture if you sent it to me through PM. I have these people's pictures so far:

lovehurts
Agent Proto
Avarice-ness
Mum
ValkyrieWing
aisle_s
meatpuppet
Zeldy

I'm not sure if blitz-ace9 got the message that he was in the contest, so if someone else draws a picture and "challenges" (we compare your picture to his picture and see who gets the spot) him and wins, he/she will be in the challenge. This does not mean that you can challenge any of the contestants; I only think that blitz-ace9 won't get the message until tomorrow and end up being disqualified.

My e-mail is thomas23skidoo@aol.com, by the way, if you just want to e-mail the picture to me, guys!

Avarice-ness
08-11-2006, 06:37 AM
Yay we get to loose to mum! All is well in the world. I mean, if we didn't loose to mum, that means the worlds going to explode. =O

Reine
08-11-2006, 06:53 AM
Ive gotten about a quarter to a third of the draft copy done...

Need to do the baby now (Just have to acquire a baby photo...)

tan
08-11-2006, 06:55 AM
Ive gotten about a quarter to a third of the draft copy done...

Need to do the baby now (Just have to acquire a baby photo...)

You won't be able to use SammieBabe's baby photo, because the baby's not born yet -_-

ValkyrieWing
08-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Picture submitted....HOO. :P

Reine
08-11-2006, 06:59 AM
I know the baby aint born yet, I mean A baby photo to use..I can draw people if I have reference to look at the whole time it seems, but I cant just draw from nothing..

Moon Rabbits
08-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Lalala. I finished about 3 hours ago. I think I got it looking at least on par with an average picture. Phew, that was difficult. Even now, Sammie and her child's skin tone is a bit off, but I couldn't get it any closer to the picture of Sammie...oh well.

tan
08-11-2006, 02:07 PM
If anyone wants a Top Artist sig, feel free to PM me so I can send it to you. It's being made by Genji, so I know it's the best :D

Rocket Edge
08-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Will we get to see the pieces of work?

Zeldy
08-11-2006, 03:09 PM
I hope not. Im ashamed of mine. I dont stand a chance, this is just one of those things I simply cannot draw

Owen Macwere
08-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Come on Zeldy, I am sure it is not that bad, I personally can't wait to see them

may be you'd cheer up when you see this dud bouncing. :bounce:

Rocket Edge
08-11-2006, 05:14 PM
may be you'd cheer up when you see this dud bouncing. :bounce:
Yep, it's the best remedy for any sign of stress related issues.

..And i'm sure it's great Zeldy.

lovehurts
08-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Guys I respect all of you . All of your work is great! Please cheer up. Even if you dont make it, even if I dont make it I think its safe to say that we are all good artists , the ones that dont make maybe just should have tried harder. Zeldy calm down :D I love your work Zeldy , it's ok either way , whatever happens. Dont stress about it , the sun still shines tommorow and my respect for you and your work is held high either way.:) Just let yourself go Zeldy it's ok.

ValkyrieWing
08-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Um...if anyone wants to se mine, it's on devArt. ^_^;;

I don't think its that great, though. *sigh*

lovehurts
08-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Um...if anyone wants to se mine, it's on devArt. ^_^;;

I don't think its that great, though. *sigh*

I doubt that you should be worrying.

Zeldy
08-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Aw bugger, Im doomed xD

tan
08-11-2006, 08:02 PM
We will get to see all of the pieces when everyone turns them in. This should be either today or tomorrow. I think blitz-ace9 doesn't even know about the challenge, so yeah... we may need a replacement 12th artist, if anyone wants to audition. I also said Shaun could turn in a picture, if he wanted.

lovehurts
08-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Aw bugger, Im doomed xD

http://rome.ro/images/doom/Doom.png

Was a good game....:)

tan
08-11-2006, 11:01 PM
I really hope we get all 12 pictures.

Anyways, in other news, it has been brought to my attention that you guys don't like me sending you 10 PMs a day or something. I've only been doing this because there's a lot to get sorted out and there's a lot to talk about. I probably won't send more than 2 PMs or so for each challenge after this one. I hope I didn't annoy any of you by sending you so many PMs. I'm sorry -_-

SammieBabe
08-11-2006, 11:07 PM
I know the baby aint born yet, I mean A baby photo to use..I can draw people if I have reference to look at the whole time it seems, but I cant just draw from nothing..

There is a picture of my already hatched baby in The Album...;)

Avarice-ness
08-11-2006, 11:13 PM
'Already hatched' that sounds creepy. xD

I'm going to post mine on my deviant art in a bit. =]

lovehurts
08-11-2006, 11:42 PM
head explosion, havent seen baby though. Head ache. I want to stay up though to see the results because I leave tommorow.:mad:

ValkyrieWing
08-11-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's stuff...

I just realized I could occasionaly fall behind, since we have dial-up at home and only one phone line....boo for not being able to get anything better. ><

lovehurts
08-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Head explosion....I hope I do ok.

Reine
08-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Now I know why everyone says how hard it was to draw the baby :(

I spent most of last night trying over and over gain screwing it up each time..Need to find a photo that I can use, if there is one. I knew this would happen :(

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Babies are fun to draw! I can't wait to see everyones. =D

Reine
08-12-2006, 04:41 AM
I cannot finish this thing, its beyond my ability, and is driving me up the wall with failure after failure. "Stick with what you know you can do"

If just the first challenge is stressing me out this much, then its pointless to continue, with how limited I am with what I can draw.

Therefore, I must forfeit this contest. Sorry..

lovehurts
08-12-2006, 04:44 AM
I cannot finish this thing, its beyond my ability, and is driving me up the wall with failure after failure. "Stick with what you know you can do"

If just the first challenge is stressing me out this much, then its pointless to continue, with how limited I am with what I can draw.

Please reconsider. How can I help you. I want to help you stay in it. Please dont forfeit. I can help you. What are you having trouble doing. We can do this together, alteast let me try ot help.please.

Rengori
08-12-2006, 04:50 AM
I thought about forfeiting, but I'll go down putting up a crappy fight rather than surrender.

lovehurts
08-12-2006, 04:52 AM
No one should surrender. Come on now. YOu can use a refference for the baby , there are cartoon referrences there's all kinds. Be resourcefull dont give up.

Agent Proto
08-12-2006, 05:41 AM

If you want to consider forfeiting, at least do so the honorable way, by being voted out. I don't think you would be voted off by the judges if you try. Babies aren't that tough to draw. Just find a picture to use as reference and try to emulate what you see on paper. Even if it's not good, at least have something as an entry. If you're going to forfeit, then do so honorably by entering one of your art. Who knows, maybe you'll get by. Remember, it's the lowest rating that gets the boot.

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 05:42 AM
My baby bothers me but that didn't make me give up, I mean you can hardly see it's face, because I did it far out, I don't think you'll get murdered for details or anything, if anything my picture focus' more on Sammiebabe and another detail then it does the baby. n n;;;

Meat Puppet
08-12-2006, 05:42 AM
Wait, the pictures are going to be posted for the general public to see? Oh no

Rengori
08-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone here except Mum and maybe LoveHurts probably sucks at drawing babies.

lovehurts
08-12-2006, 06:12 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone here except Mum and maybe LoveHurts probably sucks at drawing babies.
..I dont know about myself. I drew a toddler and a simplistic , yet focused example of a baby....I didnt draw a amazing realistic one. I appreciate the compliment as your remark was taken as one. I must admitt though that I look up to most the artist here and it is not the other way around.

Zeromus_X
08-12-2006, 06:15 AM
I'm almost done with the sketch. I hope I can paint it in well enough. :cat:

I've never drawn a baby before...eh...

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 06:15 AM

Hey my baby is still totally cute! My picture was draw from a far angle, which makes it hard to focus on a little thing. =D
Honestly, the picture for this contest is one of my own favorites. ^^;

tan
08-12-2006, 07:24 AM
I dont know, I want the contest results soon though.

I wanted all of the pictures today so we could post the results tomorrow, but seeing as how people don't pay attention at all and have no self-confidence, we are going to end up with 11 pictures, therefore we are going to have to skip one challenge. I am extremely... well, not infruriated, but annoyed, I guess. When I asked you to be in this competition, I asked you to be in it all the way. When people just drop out because they don't feel they have the confidence to finish, it angers me because I have to change everything for them. I don't mean to be mean, but seriously, if you're going to drop out, at least just draw something (anything!) bad so the judges can just kick you off. It's better to lose with pride (by submitting a picture) then by just giving up.

P.S. Would you guys mind if I added someone like black orb (if he comes back soon) to be a contestant a couple challenges later? I know it's a little unfair for them to just skip some of the challenges, but I think that if someone like black orb gets to start at challenge 4 or something then they deserve to be there. I will only do this sort of thing for extremely talented people, so I won't let just about anyone join late. I may even have him/her do all of the challenges previous just to see how they would do :)

lovehurts
08-12-2006, 07:29 AM
I dont know, I want the contest results soon though.

I wanted all of the pictures today so we could post the results tomorrow, but seeing as how people don't pay attention at all and have no self-confidence, we are going to end up with 11 pictures, therefore we are going to have to skip one challenge. I am extremely... well, not infruriated, but annoyed, I guess. When I asked you to be in this competition, I asked you to be in it all the way. When people just drop out because they don't feel they have the confidence to finish, it angers me because I have to change everything for them. I don't mean to be mean, but seriously, if you're going to drop out, at least just draw something (anything!) bad so the judges can just kick you off. It's better to lose with pride (by submitting a picture) then by just giving up.

Well if it doesnt matter this time around can :

A . we post our work without being judged ?

and

B. Can we know how we did ?

tan
08-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Well, lovehurts, this time does matter, but I'll just be receiving a few late pictures (from Nominus Experse and Zeromus_X). I cannot tell you how you did until everyone submits their pictures because the judges want to judge all of the pictures in one sitting, so, if they turn theirs in, then you'll get your results tomorrow.

P.S. I'll be posting the pictures in here soon. Please be patient.

lovehurts
08-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Well, lovehurts, this time does matter, but I'll just be receiving a few late pictures (from Nominus Experse and Zeromus_X). I cannot tell you how you did until everyone submits their pictures because the judges want to judge all of the pictures in one sitting, so, if they turn theirs in, then you'll get your results tomorrow.

P.S. I'll be posting the pictures in here soon. Please be patient.

Tan ignore my om then :)

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Okay I don't mean to point out the hopefull obvious or to be the sore one here..

But Tan, I'm not entirely sure what you're getting out of this, but we're all here for the fun. We already agreed we didn't even want prizes, we just want to draw and see who wins, But you seem to be taking this as if this is a contest to the death or something. Some people are going to want to drop out, and most people won't want to post something that they feel isn't good enough, if they stressed themselves out because they can't do a picture, leave them be, don't start telling them that it's their fault that we're going to have to skip a challenge, That makes people feel bad, and it's not very nice at all. =/
You're the only one getting bent out of shape over this, we just wanna see everyone's pictures, let them be judged and have some fun. But you're trying to run this like it's an actual contest that has something at stake is just not feeling right to me.
Sorry if I had to do any complaining, but hey, it's art, we want to have fun and fun and negativity kind of clash. :eep:

tan
08-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Okay I don't mean to point out the hopefull obvious or to be the sore one here..

But Tan, I'm not entirely sure what you're getting out of this, but we're all here for the fun. We already agreed we didn't even want prizes, we just want to draw and see who wins, But you seem to be taking this as if this is a contest to the death or something. Some people are going to want to drop out, and most people won't want to post something that they feel isn't good enough, if they stressed themselves out because they can't do a picture, leave them be, don't start telling them that it's their fault that we're going to have to skip a challenge, That makes people feel bad, and it's not very nice at all. =/
You're the only one getting bent out of shape over this, we just wanna see everyone's pictures, let them be judged and have some fun. But you're trying to run this like it's an actual contest that has something at stake is just not feeling right to me.
Sorry if I had to do any complaining, but hey, it's art, we want to have fun and fun and negativity kind of clash. :eep:

I know, I know, but I had 11 really fun challenges and now I have to use 10 of them :\
I guess you're right, Avarice-ness, and I've decided not to get stressed about it. Oh well we only have 11 challenges now. Sorry I got so angry guys! Please do not drop out of the competition just because I ranted a little because I was annoyed :(

ValkyrieWing
08-12-2006, 07:43 AM
*is stressing a little*

Oi...this is like on TV! XD Without the backstabbing and sabotage...

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 07:49 AM

I know, I know, but I had 11 really fun challenges and now I have to use 10 of them :\

*is stressing as well*

But it doesn't mean that you can't make a thread after this, where you just give people a topic and they draw to it, and they are -challenges- to alot of people, which means they might not be able to do it. Let's just have fun with this, not everything works to plan, so you can just make a thread later where you can post a topic and we can draw, no strings attatched. Until then...

Can't wait to see everyones. =]

lovehurts
08-12-2006, 07:51 AM

*is stressing as well*

But it doesn't mean that you can't make a thread after this, where you just give people a topic and they draw to it, and they are -challenges- to alot of people, which means they might not be able to do it. Let's just have fun with this, not everything works to plan, so you can just make a thread later where you can post a topic and we can draw, no strings attatched. Until then...

Can't wait to see everyones. =]

Im glad that you are cool like that :D I dont feel as stressed anymore knowing that Im not up against a mean "my art will kick you ass opponent" I think I'll actually do better now.:D

Ps: Lovehurts feels the stress too

GROUP HUG!!!!

ValkyrieWing
08-12-2006, 07:52 AM
I just want to have fun with this. I think tan's doing a great job, personally. ^_^

lovehurts
08-12-2006, 07:53 AM
I just want to have fun with this. I think tan's doing a great job, personally. ^_^

Tan is doing ok sure. I dont see a big problem. However I feel sorry for the guy who dropped out he wasnt given a chance. He was put on the spot sort of ....

tan
08-12-2006, 07:56 AM

I try my hardest :)
Pictures will be posted in about five minutes on the first page, so just look out for that. I would like you to comment on all of the pictures, please, and not just your own. But hey, you can do whatever you want to do :)

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 07:58 AM

Tan is doing ok sure. I dont see a big problem. However I feel sorry for the guy who dropped out he wasnt given a chance. He was put on the spot sort of ....

I get bent out of shape when a person is singled out and prolly ends up feeling like they ruined everything or something. Just a nerve that hits me easily I guess. Not that Tan isn't running this well or anything, I can't wait to see everything, it just feels really... formal. :greenie:

I try my hardest :)
Pictures will be posted in about five minutes on the first page, so just look out for that. I would like you to comment on all of the pictures, please, and not just your own. But hey, you can do whatever you want to do :)
Hooray. =]

ValkyrieWing
08-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Hmmm....formal....

Maybe we're all being too serious??

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Hey, I could careless how serious people want to be, I'm saying it's -ran- serious. I just wanna draw and see everyone elses. :D

ValkyrieWing
08-12-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm with ya there.

tan
08-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Pictures are up. I'll post my comments and thoughts after the judges score the pictures.

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Strange... I don't remember mine behind so small.. Oh well.. Guess the details didn't matter. n n...

tan
08-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Strange... I don't remember mine behind so small.. Oh well.. Guess the details didn't matter. n n...

I didn't change the size, if that's what you're implying -_-

ValkyrieWing
08-12-2006, 08:18 AM
o_O

Wow....

What an amazing thing....

lovehurts
08-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Mine is huge but it was when I gave it to you....

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 08:23 AM

I didn't change the size, if that's what you're implying -_-

No but your photobucket did.

Can you link it to my photobucket, it doesn't resize.. but then again... That would make it obvious is was mine.. *notes that her photobucket does it the correct size*

... Anyway! The big nice anime one with the baby and the crying is totally cute, and the realistic one is beautiful, and I love the fact I can tell who all drew them by style. xD...

ValkyrieWing
08-12-2006, 08:25 AM
o_O

Erm......XD You can tell?

I'm really liking the realistic pencil one...and the small one is very cute, from what I can tell.

HOLY CRAP, mine looks digital. I don't DO digital....when the heck did THAT happen?????

tan
08-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Avarice-ness, I changed the picture so it would be bigger. I hope you're happy now :)

Reine
08-12-2006, 09:44 AM
About the whole less challenges thing, maybe you could just assume that I got the boot for having no picture, or this round could be the prelimiaries, you know, to test if the contestants actually have what it takes.

Ive never been able to follow the plan in art classes, as I usually end up going off in my own world and turning it into something completely different, as can be seen in two of the art things I posted a while ago.

Anyway, after seeing all those pictures (I was wondering where the hell they had been posted..) You can be assured that compared to them, mine was beyond crap, and not worth posting, had it had even been completed. Call me a coward, an honourless fool, whatever, but not only am I already stressed out from other things in life, but this kind of thing is way over my head..

Sorry everyone..

lovehurts
08-12-2006, 10:47 AM
:D It's ok

Rocket Edge
08-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Those pictures are incredable guys. When i come back from holidays i'd say i can catch the end of this tournament or that, so that would be great. Good luck everyone. Keep up the great work..

lovehurts
08-12-2006, 01:34 PM
We'll my small trip starts like now so I wont see the reults or have the next challenge worked out for myself yet...

Thats fucking great I ask my mom how many days out I'll be and unexpectively she says about 5 !!!

I BEG ALL OF YOU WAIT FOR LOVEHURTS !! If you dont vote me off I will try to do this even on my l1ast days. Please wait even on the last day of contest 2, if I make it!!

DRAMA!!! DRAMA!!!!!

ARGH!!!!!

TAn even if I might not make it for the results give me subject two if you can and Ill work on it anyways and do one to have when I get back.

PLEASE WAIT FOR ME

I may not make it back form vacation with much time.

My mom said about 5 FUCKING BACKS....

*sighs*

I heard the other contestants get an extra day for challenge one, please consider that I am so euthastic about this challanege and if I am in it I want to compete again but like everyone esle I have a life so please cut me some slack and wait for me to get home she said about 5 days......

PLEASE CUT ME SOME SLACK AND WAIT. I will work on it as soon as I get home when ever that will be.

ARGH!!!!!

It should be about 5 days. Do you hear ? I PROMISE I WILL WORK ON THIS IN FULL AS SOON AS I GET BACK...if I am still in. I should be back with little time to finish but have faith in me because I DO and I know I CAN DO IT!

AS long as I am not voted off from challenge one, I dont feel finished yet please let me try to compete again. Remember all this even in the final hours. Wait for the jedi sig to show!!!

ValkyrieWing
08-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Reine, you are making me saaadddd.......

:(

Dr Unne
08-12-2006, 04:57 PM
I've written about 3 pages worth of my impressions of the pictures submitted so far. I will hold off to see if we get any more submissions. Good job everyone, I liked them all.

tan
08-12-2006, 05:43 PM
We'll my small trip starts like now so I wont see the reults or have the next challenge worked out for myself yet...

Thats smurfing great I ask my mom how many days out I'll be and unexpectively she says about 5 !!!

I BEG ALL OF YOU WAIT FOR LOVEHURTS !! If you dont vote me off I will try to do this even on my l1ast days. Please wait even on the last day of contest 2, if I make it!!

DRAMA!!! DRAMA!!!!!

ARGH!!!!!

TAn even if I might not make it for the results give me subject two if you can and Ill work on it anyways and do one to have when I get back.

PLEASE WAIT FOR ME

I may not make it back form vacation with much time.

My mom said about 5 smurfING BACKS....

*sighs*

I heard the other contestants get an extra day for challenge one, please consider that I am so euthastic about this challanege and if I am in it I want to compete again but like everyone esle I have a life so please cut me some slack and wait for me to get home she said about 5 days......

PLEASE CUT ME SOME SLACK AND WAIT. I will work on it as soon as I get home when ever that will be.

ARGH!!!!!

It should be about 5 days. Do you hear ? I PROMISE I WILL WORK ON THIS IN FULL AS SOON AS I GET BACK...if I am still in. I should be back with little time to finish but have faith in me because I DO and I know I CAN DO IT!

AS long as I am not voted off from challenge one, I dont feel finished yet please let me try to compete again. Remember all this even in the final hours. Wait for the jedi sig to show!!!

lovehurts, we will not hold off the competition for you. I don't even know if you're in the second round yet. If you are in the second round, then I'll just give you like a two-day extension or something.

About the whole less challenges thing, maybe you could just assume that I got the boot for having no picture, or this round could be the prelimiaries, you know, to test if the contestants actually have what it takes.

Ive never been able to follow the plan in art classes, as I usually end up going off in my own world and turning it into something completely different, as can be seen in two of the art things I posted a while ago.

Anyway, after seeing all those pictures (I was wondering where the hell they had been posted..) You can be assured that compared to them, mine was beyond crap, and not worth posting, had it had even been completed. Call me a coward, an honourless fool, whatever, but not only am I already stressed out from other things in life, but this kind of thing is way over my head..

Sorry everyone..

We'll just have to skip a challenge. Someone will be erased this challenge.

P.S. I was just told by one of the CKs that there is too much spamming going on in this thread. Please stop doing that because I do not want the Admin. and CKs closing down this competition because someone is treating this board as a chat room. If you guys want to talk, go to #top_artist or something, please.

Miriel
08-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Wow, really great work guys. :up:

SammieBabe
08-12-2006, 07:50 PM
It takes alot of guts to throw yourselves out there like this. All of you have my admiration for trying and sticking with it. I know this isn't easy, but when tan suggested the idea to me, I told him that the baby would be here anytime now, (and doctor says he will too) so tan really wanted me to be here for this. I'm honored to be a part of it. :)
Thank you all very, very much...:love:

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Aww, Everyone loves babies.

And thank you Tan. =]
And I love you Reine. =[
And I can't wait for the next challenge. =D
And I want to watch a movie. o o

Owen Macwere
08-12-2006, 09:04 PM
I think the best one is the fourth, it is great, whoever drew it he/she has done a great work on it, good job, and good luck.

Rye
08-12-2006, 10:34 PM
I just sent in my judging. Great job, guys! It was a pleasure judging your work. :)

black orb
08-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Damn, where the FREAKING HELL are Black Orb and Rocket Edge? Curses be to it all...
>>> I was out for a whole week so I wasnt arround here..

lol, the art forum seems to be very active lately..

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Hooray! I can't wait to see the judging, I just got my tablet back working, so Sammiebabe's picture was my first since it got fixed! =D

tan
08-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Now that we have all 12 pictures up, I'd just like to congratulate all of you on your artwork. It was all very good and very detailed! I'm even thinking about making myself a t-shirt out of one these pictures...

Psychotic
08-13-2006, 01:35 AM
My personal favourites are 2 and 3, although I'm not a judge so who knows what will happen.

And oh, consider this paragraph a tribute to the fantastic number 7, even though I'm very biased when it comes to the work of Liam S. Donald. :kiss:

ValkyrieWing
08-13-2006, 03:01 AM
....results, please??????

tan
08-13-2006, 03:38 AM
Please be patient. I still need Miriel's reviews.

SammieBabe
08-13-2006, 04:37 AM
I'm feeling very earthy and grounded today, so you all will have to be showered with compliments again. Shut up and deal with it. :D
I actually showed the pictures to my husband who was also impressed. Coming from someone with no artistic talent what so ever, again you all have my praise and admiration for even trying. :love:
I'll be sure to post actual pics when he's born!
Good luck to everyone!

ValkyrieWing
08-13-2006, 05:04 AM
Please be patient. I still need Miriel's reviews.

Sorries....I'm just freaking out a little. T_T

Avarice-ness
08-13-2006, 05:07 AM
Yeah I can't wait! =OO

ValkyrieWing
08-13-2006, 02:03 PM
-_- *sigh*

I really did look as closely at the picture as I could, honest. I don't really know SammieBabe at all. I guss she just wasn't accurate enough.

But cartoons aren't accurate, are they?

Oh well. I'll live. ^_^

Leeza
08-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Very impressive work from everyone here! :)

Avarice-ness
08-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Yay. =D I can't wait to start doing these when I get my scanner, 'cause then things can be more detailed and fun. *spins*

tan
08-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Oh, I forgot to add everyone's scores:
(These are averages)
1. Mum- 8.875 (Winner)
2. Nominus Experse- 8.25
3. Zeromus_X- 7.75
4. ValkyrieWing- 7.625
5. Zeldy- 7.375
6. Agent Proto- 7
7. lovehurts- 6.5
8. Avarice-ness- 6.35
9. Rengori- 6.25
10. Meat Puppet- 6
11. Christmas- 5.5
12. aisle_s- 5 (Erased)

P.S. I will always challenge details in the first post. Please be aware of that.

Owen Macwere
08-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Wow, cograte Mum, and to all the others, good work. :jess:

P.S: Ima , you had done great, you success. :D

Zeldy
08-13-2006, 10:43 PM
I must say I am shocked.
Oh my god.
:o

I need to be more serious about this, Ill also see if I can get to a Scanner.

Psychotic
08-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Where can we find out whose picture was whose?

Also, tan, as you're going to change the first post constantly, I think it would be a good idea if you were to repost the results for each challenge as a new post in this thread, for those who are reading this when it is archived. Unless you already had that in mind, but it's always good to be sure.

Congratulations to those who have survived.

tan
08-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Oh, ok Psychotic. I didn't think of that! xD
I just didn't want to be bumping my own thread with the results, and I thought that that was what BoB told me not to do, so yeah.

Anyways, here's who did which picture (sorry I forgot to tell you guys xD)
1. lovehurts
2. Agent Proto
3. Avarice-ness
4. Mum
5. ValkyrieWing
6. aisle_s
7. MeatPuppet
8. Zeldy
9. Rengori
10. Nominus Experse
11. Christmas
12. Zeromus_X

Psychotic
08-13-2006, 11:39 PM
I think BoB's beef was with making tons of threads. But, if he were opposed to that, I guess you could post the results from every single round in the first post after the competition has finished.

tan
08-13-2006, 11:41 PM
I think BoB's beef was with making tons of threads. But, if he were opposed to that, I guess you could post the results from every single round in the first post after the competition has finished.

I think (or at least I hope) he won't mind me just replying the results and reviews. That would make things easier :)

Agent Proto
08-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Middle of the road. Not bad for a start for me. I didn't think I would do better than Avarice, but the judges don't seem to think so. Great job to everyone! I will attempt to use some color next time.

Oh, ok Psychotic. I didn't think of that! xD

That's what I usually do when I do contests like this. However, it's usually a good idea to link to the post with the results in the first post, just so people won't have to dig the thread for the results. :P Well, I like how you're doing things in this contest. It's fresh.

tan
08-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Challenge 1 Results
As you know in the artistic world, one day you're accepted and the next day you're erased. (so cheesy, huh? xD)
I would like:
Valkyrie Wing
Zeldy
Agent Proto
lovehurts
Avarice-ness
and...
Rengori
To step forward.

Whoever just stepped forward...
has a high enough score to move onto the next round and is accepted. Congratulations.
The other six I did not call are the best and the worst of this challenge.

The Best of Challenge 1

I would like...
Nominus Experse
Zeromus_X
Mum
To step forward.
If I asked you to step forward you are...
the best of this challenge
Nominus Experse: The judges felt as though your picture was different, but in a very good way. They also thought it was something beautiful and interesting.
Zeromus_X: You took the challenge of using watercolor, which the judges appreciated. The attention to detail with the Mom in this picture was meticulous and nice.
Mum: The judges, especially one particular judge, felt that this piece was absolutely excellent. However, only one judge felt as though the cloth in the picture separated the Mom and the baby, which is not a good thing. This judge also felt that because the two people in the picture were not looking at each other, they were distant, which is not how a mother and child should be.

Zeromus_X is accepted and will go on to the next challenge. Congratulations.
This leaves Mum and Nominus Experse ...
And the winner is...
Mum. Congratulations. You're now accepted and have immunity for next challenge.
This means that Nominus Experse is accepted. Congratulations for getting to the next challenge.

The Worst of the Challenge

Meat Puppet, aisle_s, and Christmas, you three scored the lowest in this challenge.

Meat Puppet: The judges did not understand the comedy in your piece. Most of the judges thought the pimp thing was too extreme. Though your piece was funny, the judges thought it lacked detail. If you had added a bit more, it would've gotten a higher score.
aisle_s: Your piece was misunderstood by the judges. They did not like the fact that the mom's face was hidden. Most of the judges thought that the baby's eyes shouldn't have been so open or so green. One judge even commented on how it looks like "it's caught in headlights."
Christmas: The background was too distracting. They thought that a drawn background would've been better, or even a blank background would've been less distracting. There was no detail here, which the judges did not like.

The first accepted of these three is...
Meat Puppet. Congratulations. You're moving onto the next round.

*adds background music that's DRAMATIC!*
Our bottom two is aisle_s and Christmas.
aisle_s, you need to make sure your pictures are not safe (i.e. hiding the mother's face) and make sure they "make sense." The baby's eyes were completely distracting and the piece did not flow.
Christmas, if you had put a little more detail into this picture, it would not have looked rush. Just make sure to add more "life" into your pictures.

With that said...
Christmas, you're accepted. Congratulations. You now move onto the next challenge.
This means that aisle_s, I'm sorry, you're erased. Congratulations on making it this far.

As for the rest of you, the next challenge will be posted tomorrow. Now that we've seen what you can do, we're expecting more of you. Take what criticism you've received and use it to your advantage.

Challenge 1 Reviews
"Rosemary's Baby Ain't Got Nothing On This Challenge"

1. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/lovehurts1.jpg
“I do like the idea behind this one, a whole happy family together.”
“[T]he proportions need to be worked on.”
“The faces need to be centered and the bodies need to be proportioned to 7 1/2-8 heads long.”
“The background also seems a bit... rushed[.]”
“This drawing does not achieve much realism; perspective is somewhat skewed, in that the woman is larger than the man even though she's more disatant. However realism may not be a goal, and what it lacks in realism it makes up for in other ways. There are little details which add a lot to the drawing, such as the light switch on the wall, the hole in the wall near the floor, the bottom figure's shirt being slightly open showing his belly, etc.
"The drawing is well-balanced; the woman's face and the face in the painting balance each other nicely, like they are two of a kind; in this case given a mother-child theme, this fits perfectly. The horizontal figure in the foreground serves to connect the two. I don't know if this was deliberate on the part of the artist, but it works.

I must also note (somewhat hesitantly) that the way the mother is sitting suggests, well, "giving birth". Again I don't know whether this was deliberate or not.

The mood of the work is of an old house (due to the nature of the lamp on the wall, the decoration of the walls etc.). I'm unsure what message this is trying to convey, but it doesn't distract me from the main theme of the piece.

The somewhat disproportionate face of the person with the baby is a little distracting, but given the non-realistic mood of the whole piece, it's not as distracting as it could have been."- Dr Unne
“I also really like how much detail there is in the whole scene."
"The artwork itself is a bit rough and I think the baby is a tad bit too long."
"[G]ood job overall.”
“I like how they included [the] husband and how they showed us all at play.”
“[I]t… looks like a younger, inexperienced artist drew it.”
“I'll give them points for what I did like. Like the inclusion of the whole family, like the home setting.”
“[S]kill level seems very juvenile.”

2. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Agent_Proto1.jpg
“This drawing is simple, but I like it.”
“I think my favourite part is Sammie[.]”
“I like how you formed the faces and the features.”
“[Y]ou should have used have used more shading[.]”
“Without the shading, the drawing seems a bit flat[.]”
“Very clean very simple. I think the expression on SammieBabe's face is really great. The baby's expression seems a bit off though. Good stuff here but I think it needs a bit more fleshing out.”
“This drawing is a very good likeness of Sammiebabe, from the photos I've seen of her. The lines are somewhat sparse here, but the artist makes each line count, which is always a sign of a good artist: being able to say a lot using a little. At first I am wondering what it would have looked like with color, but I think that leaving it without color is actually just as effective in this case.

The mood here is "Behold my baby!". "Motherly pride" is what I would call this, if I had to name it. The mother looks somewhat dishevelled, as though she was caught at a random moment in the day and asked to pose for a photo, which I like.

The baby looks less like a baby and more like a very small adult; it's probably something about the proportions of the face. I find this somewhat distracting. It's easy to concentrate more on the mother than on the child, in this piece.”
“Like the happy feeling of the picture.”
“Babies smile is precious.”
“Would have been better with color.”

3. http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/sammiebabe.png
“[I]t really stood out to me.”
“[Y]ou drew Sammie really well.”
“[H]er features and her arms outstretching especially are very nice.”
“What attracted my eye was the lightning on Sammie, especially her shirt and face, which was done very well.”
“[T]he small details on the crib toy are nice.”
“The crib kind of seems flat[.]”
“I think more details to show each side as seperate, rather than one long area would have helped it out a lot.”
“I think [the background] could have been done a little better as well[.]”
“I like the coloring in this entry. The baby doesn't look so much like a baby but more like a miniture sized kid. I like the whole nursery scene but I think the actual people in the drawing need to be worked on.”
“Blue is clearly the dominating color here; I'm not sure it's the best choice, because it gives a very somber tone to a theme which should probably be joyful. In the background is a light which is mostly eclipsed by darkness; again, not a joyful thing. On the other hand it could be interpeted as a light EMERGING from behind a darkness, in which case it does fit the theme of "new birth" well.

My immediate impression of the mother (also in blue) is that although she's smiling, it's an ironic smile; this is probably not what the artist intended to convey, but it's my first impression.

There is a nice connection between the color of the mother's hair and the color of the child's clothing. However there is a lack of contrast between the mother in blue and the blueness of the rest of the piece. Some kind of bright vibrant color would probably have added a lot to this piece.

The technical skill of the artist is apparent; the hands are elegant and convey a sense of a light touch. The facial expression of the mother is one of relaxation and contented attention, which is pretty much perfect for the setting and comes across strongly. The child is small enough that not much detail could be added; in fact I think the child could probably have been drawn larger, if only to show more detail. The child is almost lost in the photo due to the small size.

Little details like the unfocused clouds in the back and the very detailed grass add a lot to the drawing.”- Dr Unne
“Good use of color, and the switching to bedtime is cute. However, more attention the detail of the actual family pics.”

4. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Mum1.jpg
“The features in this piece are very soft and beautiful[.]”
“[T]his is one of the few where the baby really brought out in the piece and made a main part[.]”
“The baby's expression is my favourite part[.]”
“The shading is superb, especially on Sammie's forehead.”
“Even the towel, though I think it would have come out more realistic with more folds (I'm really grasping at details here), came out nice with the shading.”
“Sammie's face is a bit too much on the right (I think that from the way she's holding and looking at the baby, it would even more leftward)[.]”
“[T]his piece is really excellent.”
“Amazing! Absolutely brilliant. I love how soft this drawing is. It's almost like it glows. The shading is fabulous. The baby and the mother both look great. Fantastic job.”
“Amazing detail, very accurate on the faces, great job shadowing.”
“This drawing goes for realism and does a very good job of it. The first word that comes to mind is "softness", not only the cloth that is enclosing the child but also the people themselves; this fits the mother-child theme very well. Although not pictured, the impression is of a mother lying in bed with her child, probably with the child in the mother's embrace.

The second thing that comes to mind is separation, in that the child is distinctly cut off from the mother by the white "void" of the cloth. This takes away a certain sense of "closeness" that would otherwise have been present. This is also emphasized by the mother not looking at the child, and the child being unable to look at the mother. I would've liked to have seen the mother looking downward to the child. However a resemblence (and therefore connection) between mother and child is evident in the eyes and their matching smiles.

The expression on the child's face is borderline "slyness". The child looks too intelligent to be a child. However the more I look at the drawing, the less this impression comes across.

In terms of [technical] skill, it's obvious that the artist is very skilled and the piece is technically very strong.”- Dr Unne

5. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/ValkyrieWing1.jpg
“In this drawing, the child is almost smothered in the embrace of the mother, which I think works well. My second impression however is of the near-perfection of the features of mother and child; when I think "mother" I don't think "perfect statueesque beauty", rather I think "soft natural beauty". This woman does not appear to be a "mother" to me, mostly because of her perfect facial features and especially because of her perfect figure; definitely not something a mother has shortly after birth.

The bursts of color in the background are a wonderful choice and add a lot of emotion to the piece. The contrast between the color of the woman's skin and the child's skin emphasize the child's youth and tenderness/vulnerability. The mother's attitude toward the child is one of loving protection, which I think works very well. The toy in the mother's hand brings back many memories of mothers I've seen in this very position, lugging around a toy to keep the child happy.

The technical skill of the artist is quite apparent in the excellent use of line and color.”-Dr Unne
“Very cute, felt somewhat cartoonish, Again attention to the actual family pics and details like eye color would have been good. Like the "Earthy Mom" comforting feel of it.”
“This is a wonderful piece of art. The coloring is especially great. I'm not sure that it's a good representation of SammbieBabe and her baby but the art itself is good. I like the little touch with the stuffed mog.”
“I really like the colours[.]”
“[T]his one has the details that I'm looking for, particularly in the colour, like the yellowish glow on Sammie's hair due to the lights.”
“The folds of the fabrics, the colours in the dress, and the moogle toy really caught my eye.”
“The expression of this piece is very beautiful, this is another piece that really brings the baby out as a main part, rather than a small character in the drawing.”
“[E]xcept for perhaps the right (our right, it'd be her left) arm needing to be a bit longer, there is not much that needs improving.”
“Very great job.”

6. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/aisle_s1.jpg
“You've used color and shading very nicely.”
“The folds in the fabric were done well.”
“The coloring in the fabric of the shirt is pretty good.”
“Good effort but it falls short.”
”Very stoic. Would have liked more incorporation of Mom. Baby looks like its caught in headlights.”
“The first thing you can't help but notice here are the eyes. They are strikingly bright and almost piercing, right in the middle of the piece. It makes me think the child is terrified, which is probably not what the artist intended.

The mother's features are mostly absent, which leads me to focus almost exclusively on the child. I think this works well.

The colors of the mother's clothing vs. the childs blend nicely, giving this drawing a sense of "silkiness". The baby's skin is pinker than the mother's, but also paler, giving the child an almost sickly look. Again I'm pretty sure this is not what the artist meant to convey.

Neither mother or child is smiling; there is not a lot of joy here. It's more as though we're looking at statues of mother and child.

Overall the piece ALMOST works; very small changes to just a few details (the eyes, the mouths) would have made this a very effective piece.”-Dr Unne

7. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/meatpuppet1.jpg
“This one made me smile[.]”
“What an interesting entry. I like the representation of SammieBabe, but the whole pimp baby this is just a little too off center.”
“The idea behind it definitely gets thumbs up from me[.]”
“The baby is really great, he's such a pimp!”
“OK, I think the baby looks like a pimp. Let's just get that over with.

Given the fading out of the mother in the back, this picture gives the impression of a mother sitting for a photo, a child sitting for a separate one, and then the two photos joined together later. Most other pieces have shown mother and child together, which I think is more apt.

The baby's pose (calmly standing with his arms behind his back) is not the pose of a child. If not for the facial features, it would be difficult to know this is a child at all.

The technical skill of the artist is apparent in the realistic positioning of each figure's body, and the subtle but accurate facial features.

This piece gets points for originality. I feel like I may be missing something here.”-Dr Unne
“I think more details in Sammie, just a bit of light shading, and some color would have really made this nice.”
“xD Anyway, very comical, despite lack of detail, artist did study the subject pics.”

8. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Zeldy1.jpg
“The artist obviously tried hard to study the subject pics, like the closeness of mama and baby, skill level needs to be improved, but good effort.”
“[T]he colours and shading of Sammie's face are nice.”
“The shape of Sammie's face on the left needs improvement, though the right side is nice because of the nice shading and lighting.”
“The details that went into Sammie don't really seem to have gone into the baby as much.”
“I think the SammieBabe part of the drawing is pretty great.”
“The first thing I notice is the child's hand grasping at the mother's shirt. This little detail is a perfect representation of mother-child; that's exactly what babies do.

The somewhat oversized ear of the child gives it an awkward and aptly baby-like appearance. The features of the mother convey a sense of pride.

The mother appears to be somewhat older than Sammiebabe actually is, but I don't think it takes much away from the piece. The mother in the drawing looks decidedly natural and very human.

It's difficult to get a good sense of the colors in the piece due to the poor quality of the scanning, but what I can see is good. The red of the child's clothing draws your eyes immediately to him. The vibrancy of his clothing in contrast to the mother's lighter, more subdued blues gives an impression of the strong energetic life of a newborn child.

Technically speaking the woman's face is slightly skewed (though again it's hard to tell if this is from the scanning or is how it was drawn), but the position of her arm has a nicely physical sense about it. This drawing has solidness and gravity (if that makes any sense).”- Dr Unne

9. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/sammiebabe.jpg
“This a cute piece.”
“Very cute, and sweet faces. Would have liked more detail The arm placement on Mom is a little off and not supporting the baby. Shadowing is good, would have liked color.”
“It's nice that you used shading, especially on the neck and fabric.” “The features could be improved though[.]”
“This is one of the few pieces submitted where the mother is looking at the child; it's put to use perfectly here. The child is sleeping which is also a nice choice; again, sleeping is something that strikes me as "what babies do". Babies seem to be asleep nearly all the time.

The mother looks extremely young, I think due to the hair. Picturing a youthful mother is not a bad thing, but this mother looks almost too young to have had a child.

The slight tilt of the mother's head helps add a touch of emotion to this drawing.

I would've liked to have the child held more closely to the mother. The child looks almost as though it is being held away from the mother; I don't think the artist intended this, it's more likely due to a small technical misjudgment.

Otherwise technically the drawing is strong, though stylized.” -Dr Unne
“[T]he head looks a bit oblong and the eyes don't seem high enough on the face.” “Sammie's hand… seems a bit awkward.”
“A nice clean image but I don't think it's a great representation of SammieBabe. I love the look on the mother's face though.”
“The piece could have used some light shading in the background around the two, to make the lines somewhat fade and give it a more realistic tough.”
“Very cute, though.”

10. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Baby.jpg
“Very interesting. I love the idea of displaying motherhood as something beautiful and sensual. I think the expression is a little too harsh though to suit the rest of the picture. But otherwise I really like it.”
“[Y]ou pulled it off well.”
“You used nudity in a very tasteful way.”
“The way you used drew the cloth that went around Sammie is lovely and very well shaded.”
“You also did the shape of Sammie's body well, you gave her some curves, which I like, because more often then not I see women drawn with miniscule unrealistic thighs.” “[T]he det[a]ils in the strands of her hair are nice.”
“I think the details in this piece really made it stand out for me.”
“Sammie's face looks a bit too sharp and severe (especially the eyebrows not really curving much)[.]”
“I think with the background, I would have loved to see this in a forest/autumn-ish kind of setting[.]”
“All in all, nice job.”
“This drawing takes a very different tone from all the others. The overall impression is "organic", due to the black plant-like shapes behind the mother, and the mother's near-nakedness. Interestingly the child is NOT naked, although it would probably have been appropriate for the child to be naked.

The use of color here is very good; the purples contrast with the yellows in the background very nicely.

I like the mother's hand on the child's face, and the mother's face near the child's face. Both give a good impression of a mother's love for the child.

The texture of the background and the wispy appearance of the mother's feet almost give the entire piece a sense of rising upwards. "Uplifting" works in a mother-child theme, because it feels like "victory" or "triumph".

Technically this piece makes effective use of very strong line.”-Dr Unne
“Love the background, love the colors. Love the goddess/mother implications. Like the closeness of mother and baby. Lacks some realism, baby is disproportionate (too small)[.]”

11. http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/sammie2af1.jpg
“This also a cute piece, and again, I like how the baby is really brought out as a main part rather than a small addition.”
“I... am not really sure what's going on here. But it's an interesting way to tackle this challenge. Not really sure if this is creativity or haphazardness.”
“The wings are cute, and I like the baby holding the bottle.”
“This piece contrasts rather simplistic line drawings with a photographic background. I'm unsure the background is really necessary; it draws attention too much away from the hand-drawn figures which should really be the focus of the drawing.

The baby is suitably baby-like not only in appearance but also in pose and general attitude. The extremely oversized bottle also makes the child seem to be very small, in spite of the huge dimensions of the child in the drawing.

I like that the baby is looking up to the mother. However in general I think this may have been better without the mother even in the picture. She seemingly serves little purpose other than to exist. If I mentally picture the child sitting alone in the center of the drawing, it seems to work better on some level.

The use of "angel" to describe the child strikes a discord with myself personally, for who knows what reason. It strikes me as a somewhat overused theme. But so far as the theme goes, this drawing makes effective use of it.

Technically the drawing is rather simplistic, but it makes good use of line and color. A line more varied in darkness and width would possibly have added more life to this drawing.” -Dr Unne
“[M]ore details (shading, lighting, folds in cloth) should have been used, particularly with Sammie's face, because the details in her are lacking.”
“Like the angel wings on the baby. Baby has a sweet curiousity in its face. However, Mom looks almost male, and is somewhat distant from the baby. Would have liked the artist to have drawn the background instead of using a photo. Feels rushed.”
“I would not have used the photo you used in the background.”
“I like the idea of the baby being the main part.”

12. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/Zeromus_X/sammiebabeandherbaby001.jpg
“[You] took a challenge… I admire that.”
“I like the colours you used, they're very soft and pretty.”
“Very ethereal. Very soft. I love this. The shading in the sweater is great. I'm not sure if the background adds much to the image. But I like the different colors here.”
“The blushing cheeks that you made are also very cute.”
“I like how you did the baby, it looks fragile and soft in the purple.”
“Here we have the child and mother looking at each other, which I think works very well for a mother-child theme. The mother's arms almost form a cradle, which I think also works well. The scattered colors throughout the background appear almost to be "thought-bubbles", which I find interesting, almost as though we're seeing the mothers thoughts or (more likely) feelings. Similarly, I also like the touches of color on the mother's and child's cheeks.

The mother's extremely broad shoulders give her an appearance of strength, which I think is an acceptable message for a mother-child theme; a strong mother watching over a new child. I'm unsure this was the message the artist meant to convey but I like it. The child has an almost "clueless" look on his face, which is again perhaps not what the artist intended, but suits the child fine in this case.

Technically the figures are quite disproportionate compared with real-life people, but it doesn't take away much from the overall work.”-Dr Unne
“The features need work...”
“Sammie's head is too small and her neck is a tad too long.” “The ear is placed a bit off[.]”
“Like the abstract feel, like the watercolors. Great detail on Mom. Baby seems blurred and disproportionate to the rest of the picture. Love the expression on Mom's face.”
“I do like the kimono, it was done well.”
“Nice work.”

P.S. Please post what you thought about this challenge and what you think about the winners/losers of this challenge.

Avarice-ness
08-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Hmmm.. A 6 is a failing score because is 6 = 60%.

I'll do better next time, I'll atleast want a 7.5 next time. :)

Middle of the road. Not bad for a start for me. I didn't think I would do better than Avarice, but the judges don't seem to think so. Great job to everyone! I will attempt to use some color next time.
Yeah but I'll do better than the 7 people I lost too. =/

tan
08-14-2006, 01:29 AM

I think that all you need to do next time is be a little intricate and add a bit more detail. You were one of the first ones to turn in your picture this challenge, and if you had turned it in a couple hours before the deadline with more details you most likely would've gotten a higher placing. I thought your picture was actually very nice, but one judge gave it a weird score, so meh :\

Avarice-ness
08-14-2006, 01:39 AM

I think that all you need to do next time is be a little intricate and add a bit more detail. You were one of the first ones to turn in your picture this challenge, and if you had turned it in a couple hours before the deadline with more details you most likely would've gotten a higher placing. I thought your picture was actually very nice, but one judge gave it a weird score, so meh :\

That's alright. I kind of rushed that one because I had just got my tablet fixed and it was the first one I did and I need to get back in the hang of things. I'll do better next time. =] Speaking of next time, when's the next challenge going to be? =D

Agent Proto
08-14-2006, 01:42 AM
It should be up tomorrow! I would start on it right away, but I need to work tomorrow. I can't wait to see what the challenge is going to be!

Moon Rabbits
08-14-2006, 01:54 AM
Haha, aw. I wish I did a bit better. Oh well, I was actually hoping I'd be eliminated because I had alot of personal issues come up tonight involving my mother and surgery and possible illness etc.

I think Ava deserved a better score, though, I liked her piece alot :P

Mum
08-14-2006, 02:27 AM
Hey well done everyone!
I was amazed at the wide range of different styles used and particularly impressed with Nominus Ezperse and Valkyrie Wing's. Zeldy needed to spend a bit more time but has definitely 'got it', and I loved Agent Pronto's redition - it was SO cheerful and really looked like Sammie! I would also like to highly commend Avarice-ness for her tender illustration-like entry, and finally, for attempting such a detailed pic first time around - well done Lovehurts!

Avarice-ness
08-14-2006, 03:02 AM
Hey well done everyone!
I was amazed at the wide range of different styles used and particularly impressed with Nominus Ezperse and Valkyrie Wing's. Zeldy needed to spend a bit more time but has definitely 'got it', and I loved Agent Pronto's redition - it was SO cheerful and really looked like Sammie! I would also like to highly commend Avarice-ness for her tender illustration-like entry, and finally, for attempting such a detailed pic first time around - well done Lovehurts!

To kind mum, Way way to kind. :)

Rengori
08-14-2006, 03:08 AM
I'm just surprised I wasn't knocked out of the competetion yet.

I'd aslo like to thank the judges for their criticism, if I tried this again those would definately help me make it a lot better.

ValkyrieWing
08-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Hey, I'll take 4th. ^_^

Congratulations everybody!

Avarice-ness
08-14-2006, 06:47 AM
Oh I can so do this challege, I guess it's a good thing I'm vain and draw myself alot. <3.

Rengori
08-14-2006, 06:51 AM
It's a bad thing I'm not and don't draw myself a lot.

Nominus Experse
08-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Do you think we ought to submit an accompanying reference photograph of ourselves? or at the very least, a photograph of us, even if it wasn't used for reference. In this way, people would be capable of seeing who and what we look like juxtaposed next to our drawn reindition. Personally, I plan on doing this, and if this isn't put in effect for everyone else, I would like to request that you display my reference photograph alongside my drawn representation of myself.

tan
08-14-2006, 10:32 AM
I didn't think of that Nominus Experse... I'll be sure to add it in the rules. Thanks :D

Agent Proto
08-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Does it have to be a current picture or can any picture suffice? As in, if you only have older pictures that feature a younger self?

Zeldy
08-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Oh this should be fun! Oh I have an idea! And I can get to a scanner :D~

tan
08-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Does it have to be a current picture or can any picture suffice? As in, if you only have older pictures that feature a younger self?

You can use an older picture. Mum just used an old painting of hers from 1991 when she was younger (I had to tell her the challenge rules and things because she'd be gone for 2 days). Just as long as you provide a photo for the picture, then you'll be fine.

Rengori
08-14-2006, 05:38 PM
I still don't have a camera.

tan
08-14-2006, 10:37 PM
I still don't have a camera.

You don't need to turn a picture in then. It's just recommended. I'll be sure to change the rules so it says that... -_-

ValkyrieWing
08-15-2006, 01:45 AM
Hmmm....a self portrait....something that describes me.....HMMM.

tan
08-15-2006, 01:54 AM
I made a shirt out of the winning picture (Mum's picture) for SammieBabe for a late baby shower gift, I guess, and to thank her for being a guest judge!

http://www.zazzle.com/products/product/product.asp?product_id=235040298633910151&success=true

I hope you all like it! Uh... I guess you can buy it if you want, but I think the money would have to go to Mum, but I'll set that all up if you do decide to buy it.

Anyways, if any of you other artists want me to make a t-shirt out your picture (or any upcoming pictures), please PM me. This is really a one time deal because I don't really feel like making t-shirts for every competition unless you ask me too. Oh, and, I'll be sure that you receive the money for the shirt if someone buys it :D (I'll have to mail it to you, though).

ValkyrieWing
08-15-2006, 05:41 AM
I have a quick question.

When you say 'self portrait' do you mean full body, facial, or somehwere in between?

And it just figures that we do this challenge when I have the worst sunburn of my life, and am red as a lobster right now. >_< Oh, well. :P

tan
08-15-2006, 06:51 AM
It can be whatever you want ValkyrieWing, just as long as you're in the picture in an environment that suits you :)

Nominus Experse
08-15-2006, 07:21 AM
I am using certain aspects of the styles of Surrealism and Expressionism, as that is definatively me as an artist. Seeing as this is a self-portrait, I feel I ought to be very true to what I am, both as an artist and person.

I make mention of the fact that I am using aspects of this style due to the fact that many people when first exposed to this art style, don't really know what to make of it. I just thought that some of the judges may want to familiarize themselves with this type of artisitic movement...

Granted, I won't be strictly adhering to this style, just "borrowing" certain aspects of it.

Here is a link to familiarize oneself with surrealism and expressionism:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrealism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expressionism

Thanks.

Rengori
08-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Don't be surprised if I don't get an entry in, I usually do this stuff last minute (like my homework) and school starts on Thursday, I have to get a locker in a couple of hours, I don't know anything about LPHS other than it's a high school so I have orientation on Wednesday, and should probably get school supplies sometime soon. Just a head's up.

ValkyrieWing
08-15-2006, 07:33 AM
T_T

I don't like drawing myself....

Avarice-ness
08-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Yeah and I'm going to have to finish it tonight 'cause I have work on the night of the 16th, so here's to having it finished since I'm actually trying on it. u u;;

ValkyrieWing
08-16-2006, 04:43 AM
Well, my drawing"s turning out to be a strange amalgamation of cartoon and realism...I guess. Now I remeber why I hated life drawing so much. ^_^;;

I decided to keep the background simple, though. I'm a simple girl.

Oh, and just so people know, this is the first time I've attempted to COLOR realism....

tan
08-16-2006, 05:00 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/OdinDragoon/zeromusacc.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/OdinDragoon/zeldyacc.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/OdinDragoon/valkyrieacc.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/OdinDragoon/rengoriacc.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/OdinDragoon/protoacc.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/OdinDragoon/nominusacc.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/OdinDragoon/mumacc.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/OdinDragoon/meatacc.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/OdinDragoon/luvhurtsacc.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/OdinDragoon/christmasacc.gif

I know we're still missing one, so just hold on Avarice-ness and Genji will make one for you :)

If you want one, just go ahead and take one (you don't need to be a contestant, you use one of your favorite contestant :D) if you want.

All credit goes to: Genji for making these awesome sigs! :D
EDIT: If you do decide to use a sig, please credit Genji for it in your signature. It's the best we can do for making us great sigs :)

ValkyrieWing
08-16-2006, 05:22 AM
Well, for better or for worse, my picture is submitted...

*sweating*

tan
08-16-2006, 06:16 AM
I've decided to add the pictures earlier because I think that if one of the artists that isn't finished copies off of another person's picture, it'll be evident. Though they may kind of take things other people used in their paintings and add them to their own, I'll just tell the judges to think of originality of the picture and sort of judge the people who turned in their pictures earlier a bit lighter. This is considering how the other people (who haven't turned in their pictures) may kind of see the mistakes in the turned-in pictures and change their pictures from it. I hope that makes sense o_O

Anyways, let's begin the art showing!

(Normally, I wouldn't put the names because the judges might have biases against some people, etc. but because these are self-portraits, it'll kind of be obvious to who did which picture =P).

1. Mum
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%202/memory.jpg
2. Agent Proto
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%202/shirtninja.gif
3. Zeldy
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%202/eoff-1.jpg
Photo: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%202/zeldy1.jpg
4. ValkyrieWing
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%202/self2.jpg
Photo: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%202/me.jpg
5. Nominus Experse
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%202/TechTrevor.jpg
Photo: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%202/1057583486_l.jpg
6. Christmas
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%202/christmasjy5.jpg
7. Zeromus_X
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i166/Zeromus_X/selfportraiteoffcontest3.jpg
8. lovehurts
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%202/me3.jpg
9. Avarice-ness
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/thomas23skidoo/Top%20Artist/Challenge%202/selfcoloring.png

P.S. There will not be a guest judge for this challenge (I had planned for Leeza to be a guest judge for this challenge, but because of scheduling conflicts she had to refuse, and I don't have anyone else to go to for the position of guest judge) so scoring will be harsher (for example, if there was a guest judge, your added up scores would be divided by 4, but since there is no guest judge, the average will be found by dividing by 3).

Post your comments and questions on everyone's pictures so far, everyone! :]

ValkyrieWing
08-16-2006, 06:23 AM
*google-eyes at Mum*

o_O

WOW...I think I LOSE...XD

I Took the Red Pill
08-16-2006, 06:24 AM
My favorites are Mum's and Proto's. Mum's because of the amazing level of detail and realism she puts into all of her work, and Proto's because he daringly tried a different style than everyone else, and it worked out great in my opinion. Eveyone did a great job so far!

Agent Proto
08-16-2006, 06:31 AM
You can find my my picture in my profile, btw. :)

Nominus Experse
08-16-2006, 06:31 AM
My, my, my... Mum always displays the greatest skills of all of us...

But I have to ask, why does it say '91 on Mum's painting? I know artists do curious things, but I am intrigued as to what '91 may mean.

ValkyrieWing
08-16-2006, 06:32 AM
T_T

I don't know what to do now....

tan
08-16-2006, 06:41 AM
You can find my my picture in my profile, btw. :)

I'll add the picture to the post :)

My, my, my... Mum always displays the greatest skills of all of us...

But I have to ask, why does it say '91 on Mum's painting? I know artists do curious things, but I am intrigued as to what '91 may mean.

She painted this piece in 1991. I said you could use older drawings if you had one of yourself (this will be applied to every challenge unless otherwise said). Anyways, the only thing I'm worried about in Mum's picture is how her background isn't really that detailed. She has immunity for this challenge (because she won the last one), so it doesn't really matter what she gets unless she wins again.

ValkyrieWing
08-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Hmmm how old was I in 1991.....

7. I was 7 in 91....

tan
08-16-2006, 07:10 AM
I know some of you are a little upset that Mum got to submit a pre-made picture, and I am sorry if I made you angry. I did not think about it, and I let her to do it (I let anyone do it) because she had to go somewhere and would be gone for the next two days. She will not be winning this challenge because she had more time than the rest of you to do the challenge, but she will still be getting critique on her picture.

Nominus Experse
08-16-2006, 07:27 AM
Oh, don't think I am angry or mad, just simply concerned with how "fair" it is. You could argue that since the chances are so rare, that it shouldn't matter, but all the same, artists commonly keep a large portfolio of their work, thus, some challenges will fall directly into pieces already done.

Mum's piece is amazing, like all of her works are - my only qualm with Mum's picture is that it was made long before this challenge, when she could have had possibly more time, etc...

Personally, I do think Mum is the best artist here, and deserves immunity, but I would much rather see her, and anyone else, using pictures that they made within the set period of time.

Personally, I have never been able to create something masterful within three days... Only weeks or months... But then again, I contend that I have yet to really achieve anything as masterful piece of artwork yet...

The simple fact of the matter is that art takes time. When you are making a prolonged period of time become three days simply because you already have the picture... that's not exactly fair.

Know that I am not attacking you, Mum, or anyone that has entered in a pre-made piece of artwork, I just am left feeling a little... frustrated by the fact that I stay up for two days straight ( Around 10:00 PM - 6:30 AM) to finish this because I have no time during the day to work on these challenges. And then a piece of artwork that could have been done at any leisure without the pressure of this competition and other factors of time and life... and then that happens and I become slightly annoyed.

Some of us are busy, others are not, but that shouldn't cause certain rules to be bent or broken. Perhaps I am being too strict and desperately need a slap in the face and some sleep... but I just feel that things need to be said and seen.

I feel like an asshole now...

I'm sorry if I couldn't say things without seeming somewhat of an ass, but it's just...

Sorry, Mum if this comes off as an attack or something, but it truthfully is not. I respect and know you are better than me as an artist, and I am not whining or anything of that sort. I just wish that things be more adherant to what may be deemed as fair...

Feel free to slap me, I may deserve it for speaking as I am...

Maybe I ought to go try and get some sleep or drink some tea...

Avarice-ness
08-16-2006, 07:28 AM
I'd like to make a note, I would really like to be erased. So since judging was harsh on me last time, PLEASE MAKE IT HARSHER. And yes, Mine is rushed, I have work tomorrow.. So.. I like the coloring not really.

*points up*

Complete Ditto. So if you slap him, slap me. I do have a life, which needs tending to, I can't feel constricted.
And that wasn't asshole like, it's the truth.

Agent Proto
08-16-2006, 07:42 AM
I do find it unfair that we are even allowed to submit artwork that we had completed before. I completely agree with Nominus on this matter. It just doesn't seem fair that someone can enter a piece done within weeks compared to something that was done in a day or two, thus giving those who entered artwork already done a HUGE advantage over others. I do not like the advantage because it's unfair. If you want, maybe perhaps instead of giving several days for submitting art, you should try for maybe a week. Granted, it may make this tournament longer, but in the long run, it can be well worth it

So, instead of giving us about a couple days, perhaps give us at least 6 days?

We can start on Mondays, and you can give us till Saturday night (midnight your time) to submit our work. Granted, that's about 6 days, but that would leave Sunday for the judges to look at the entries. While judging may take awhile, I suppose you can also get us started on the next round before announcing the ratings.

*shrugs* I don't know.

Avarice-ness
08-16-2006, 07:44 AM
I do find it unfair that we are even allowed to submit artwork that we had completed before. I completely agree with Nominus on this matter. It just doesn't seem fair that someone can enter a piece done within weeks compared to something that was done in a day or two, thus giving those who entered artwork already done a HUGE advantage over others. I do not like the advantage because it's unfair. If you want, maybe perhaps instead of giving several days for submitting art, you should try for maybe a week. Granted, it may make this tournament longer, but in the long run, it can be well worth it

So, instead of giving us about a couple days, perhaps give us a last 6 days?

We can start on Mondays, and you can give us till Saturday night (midnight your time) to submit our work. Granted, that's about 6 days, but that would leave Sunday for the judges to look at the entries.

*shrugs* I don't know.

I said the -exact- same thing when I put my really bad entry in. I must have protato's on my mind. :razz:

ValkyrieWing
08-16-2006, 07:52 AM
That's a really good idea, I think.

black orb
08-16-2006, 07:59 AM
>>> It seems im a judge now so I accept all kinds of bribery..

Avarice-ness
08-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Aww... really..
Well I'm officially screwed.

Feel free to kick me off when you feel like it, 'cause you think the other pictures weren't done. My entry isn't done. But I can't work on it anymore because I'm suppose to be sleeping 'cause I have work tomorrow.. Have at it! :D

black orb
08-16-2006, 08:21 AM
'cause I have work tomorrow..
>>> Atleast you have a real job, thats way better than win 1000 internet contests..:eep:

Zeldy
08-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Wow, everyones is amazing. ^_^

I geuss I see what people mean, like we've all tried to make a good piece in the time allowed and then someone submits a piece they did over 10 years ago that could have taken them months.
Im not really bothered though xD

tan
08-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh, don't think I am angry or mad, just simply concerned with how "fair" it is. You could argue that since the chances are so rare, that it shouldn't matter, but all the same, artists commonly keep a large portfolio of their work, thus, some challenges will fall directly into pieces already done.

Mum's piece is amazing, like all of her works are - my only qualm with Mum's picture is that it was made long before this challenge, when she could have had possibly more time, etc...

Personally, I do think Mum is the best artist here, and deserves immunity, but I would much rather see her, and anyone else, using pictures that they made within the set period of time.

Personally, I have never been able to create something masterful within three days... Only weeks or months... But then again, I contend that I have yet to really achieve anything as masterful piece of artwork yet...

The simple fact of the matter is that art takes time. When you are making a prolonged period of time become three days simply because you already have the picture... that's not exactly fair.

Know that I am not attacking you, Mum, or anyone that has entered in a pre-made piece of artwork, I just am left feeling a little... frustrated by the fact that I stay up for two days straight ( Around 10:00 PM - 6:30 AM) to finish this because I have no time during the day to work on these challenges. And then a piece of artwork that could have been done at any leisure without the pressure of this competition and other factors of time and life... and then that happens and I become slightly annoyed.

Some of us are busy, others are not, but that shouldn't cause certain rules to be bent or broken. Perhaps I am being too strict and desperately need a slap in the face and some sleep... but I just feel that things need to be said and seen.

I feel like an asshole now...

I'm sorry if I couldn't say things without seeming somewhat of an ass, but it's just...

Sorry, Mum if this comes off as an attack or something, but it truthfully is not. I respect and know you are better than me as an artist, and I am not whining or anything of that sort. I just wish that things be more adherant to what may be deemed as fair...

Feel free to slap me, I may deserve it for speaking as I am...

Maybe I ought to go try and get some sleep or drink some tea...

I'd like to make a note, I would really like to be erased. So since judging was harsh on me last time, PLEASE MAKE IT HARSHER. And yes, Mine is rushed, I have work tomorrow.. So.. I like the coloring not really.

*points up*

Complete Ditto. So if you slap him, slap me. I do have a life, which needs tending to, I can't feel constricted.
And that wasn't asshole like, it's the truth.

So, instead of giving us about a couple days, perhaps give us at least 6 days?

We can start on Mondays, and you can give us till Saturday night (midnight your time) to submit our work. Granted, that's about 6 days, but that would leave Sunday for the judges to look at the entries. While judging may take awhile, I suppose you can also get us started on the next round before announcing the ratings.

*shrugs* I don't know.

Well, I'm afraid that if I give a whole week to do it, this competition will run so long that people will just stop caring about it. I don't know -_-
I'll ask my judges how long a challenge should last depending on the challenge itself. One that I have in mind I know is going to take a week, and another is going to take 2 days (it's not going to be a hand drawn challenge, so don't worry). It's just the challenge itself that sets the deadline.

Wow, everyones is amazing. ^_^

I geuss I see what people mean, like we've all tried to make a good piece in the time allowed and then someone submits a piece they did over 10 years ago that could have taken them months.
Im not really bothered though xD

I'm really really sorry you guys. I did not realize that this would be unfair for you guys. I was not thinking when I let her use the piece (it's my fault because I told her she could, so blame me). I'm really really sorry!

Agent Proto
08-16-2006, 05:03 PM
Well, giving a week for each challenge will release some pressure for those that have other things to do. A week may seem long, but not everyone will have the time to put aside for artwork within just a few day. Let's take Avarice as an example. She has a job, and let's say you bring out a challenge which you give two days to submit a work. Now, let's say that Avarice works on both of those days. She wouldn't have time to work on her entry without stress. Now, make it a week, she still may not have time to work on the entry right away, but at least she would have more time to work on something before the deadline. I know you want to move this contest quickly, but you need to be aware that giving two days to submit a supposedly new piece of art is rushing art.

Now, let's see, we have 11 artists remaining, so if we go the route of week long challenges, the contest will end sometime in October, maybe earlier if you decide something else. And remember, stick to the program, because we artists are in this for the fun of competition. And if you're going to allow us to use earlier works, than at least take off some points as a penalty, like maybe 1.0 off, because that can make all the difference. Ex. let's say Mum would get a good score from the judges, something like 8.3 overall. Considering that she submitted an older work, she would get a penalty of 1.0 off her score, giving her 7.3 overall. Which is still pretty darn good, but would it be enough to win the challenge?

Consider this as two proposals.
1. Give each challenge a week.
2. Penalties for submitting old art for a challenge.

black orb
08-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Well, I'm afraid that if I give a whole week to do it, this competition will run so long that people will just stop caring about it.

>>> lol, that remind me the first Shadow Bahamut`s art contest, at the end nobody really cared about it so I won by default or something..

Mum
08-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Hello everyone, I'm back from my conference!

Sorry for upsetting the apple cart with my old painting - I only submitted it because I was immune in this round and Tan said that technically I didn't have to submit anything and would still be in the competition. So please take it as just keeping the standards up. I will be doing the pictures as they come up from here on. (It helps that I am back in the office now)

The painting only took about a day to do, so please don't think I took a long time over it. And lets face it I was much nearer your ages when it was done (and BoB was a nipper!)

Secondly, I think you guys are too hard on yourselves. Having looked at the entries so far I think they are really amazing - especially Nominus and Valkyrie's! So you must not think of me as better than you - we are all equal at welding a pencil or paintbrush. And when it comes to things drawn on the computer, I wouldn't even know where to start!

So best of luck everyone and lets have some fun!

Dr Unne
08-17-2006, 01:21 AM
I agree that people are being too hard on themselves. It was nearly impossible for me to rank the drawings in the last round. There were good and bad things about every drawing. I was pulling no punches in my reviews either. In many cases I was searching for things to say were wrong with it. I want to give positives and negatives for every entry.

Personally, I'm judging these drawings largely on what you're saying and how effectively you're saying it. Art should be an expression of something. It doesn't have to be photorealistic. I'm interested in seeing the surrealistic entry. Though of course I'll judge it against the others fairly when I see it. :)

Nominus Experse
08-17-2006, 01:44 AM
You know, you are right - this is for fun more than anything else, so why get our knickers in a twist?

I apologize for the outburst - I guess lack of sleep and extraneous stress from prior things unrelated to this contest crept into my words and actions.

It is more about art and viewing other people's creations more than anything else...

At least, that is how I see it.

Oh, and tan, are the judges viewing the pictures in this thread, or are they recieving the non-shrunk pictures that we sent you? Because truthfully, being able to see the pictures in a larger format allows the viewer to see much more detail, and well, just more of everything. If you are not allowing them to see the large versions that we sent you, it may be something to think about doing, both for us as artists and the judges.

tan
08-17-2006, 02:33 AM
Well, I was originally planning to send it to them, but during the first challenge they just went to this thread and gave me their reviews, so I guess I'll just do that from now on :)

Agent Proto
08-17-2006, 03:29 AM
Any chance for a penalty for submiting older works done before this contest? I have a feeling you may stick with the current way of things with the length of each challenge, so I would like to know about the idea of a penalty for submitting older art.

tan
08-17-2006, 03:44 AM
Any chance for a penalty for submiting older works done before this contest? I have a feeling you may stick with the current way of things with the length of each challenge, so I would like to know about the idea of a penalty for submitting older art.

Well, I guess we could deduct 1.0 from the average of the artist using the older picture. Does this sound fair?

Avarice-ness
08-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Okay! I'm back from work and had to much coffee. What's going on! Are we getting judged, and what's this minus one point thing from the average if you use an older picture and I think a week is a great idea.

I'm drawing for fun, and it's always good to have a topic especially when I can't think of one, so really if people get tired of this it's 'cause they don't really like to draw or other things are going on. I'd be alot happier if we got a week for each picture. OKAY Enough rambling I need to go take a small nap so I don't die from coffee. :razz:

tan
08-17-2006, 04:00 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/OdinDragoon/avariceacc.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/OdinDragoon/aisleer.gif

I will be posting the status of the "erased" artists in my sig once I get the main sig.

Oh, and again, if you decide to use this sig, please thank Genji! :D

Mum
08-17-2006, 04:20 AM

Well, I guess we could deduct 1.0 from the average of the artist using the older picture. Does this sound fair?

Yes, I think thats fair. Would that apply to this round though when we were told previously (before the fracas) that we could use previously drawn art? Even though I have immunity from this round, do I still get marked?

Also, in response to the comment that there is no background to my portrait, the remit was to draw ourselves in an environment that best suits us - maybe I feel in limbo - a sad, lost vacuum...? (I know, thats stretching it...!)

I still like Nominus's - so expressive of who he is - and each time you look at the pic you see something new you didn't notice before about him...so thats an excellent depiction.

tan
08-17-2006, 04:44 AM
Okay, okay. No points will be deducted from Mum this time because I let her do it and I didn't know there would be such a fuss. However, if she does get the highest score, she will only be placed as second since there's such a problem over it. Does this sound good?

Agent Proto
08-17-2006, 04:47 AM
I think we would let it slide this round and start doing with penalties beginning with the next challenge. Anyway, it wouldn't matter this round since she has immunity.

ValkyrieWing
08-17-2006, 04:51 AM
Yeah....I agree. It just shouldn't be allowed to happen again.

So....where were we? XD

Nominus Experse
08-17-2006, 05:18 AM
Heh, I just saw Christmas' entry. I have always found, in myself, that her humour always gives rise to a chuckle.

ValkyrieWing
08-17-2006, 05:27 AM
Did she use paint? I'm just curious...

Vyk
08-17-2006, 05:54 AM
Mm... I have been lurking this competition for a while. There's a lot I'd like to say, but as an impartial observer I'll refrain. I can feel a lot in this though. You guys keep your chins up and keep up the good work

tan
08-17-2006, 05:56 AM
Mm... I have been lurking this competition for a while. There's a lot I'd like to say, but as an impartial observer I'll refrain. I can feel a lot in this though. You guys keep your chins up and keep up the good work

You can say what you want to say. No one will persecute you for it.

Nominus Experse
08-17-2006, 05:57 AM
Indeed, please say what you wish to say, Vyk. You have my, and most likely other's, curiosity piqued as of right now.

Vyk
08-17-2006, 06:06 AM
There's just a lot of drama and I feel for you all. Its being taken way too seriously. But there's not an easy way around that except constant positive reminders to relax. And if it wasn't taken too seriously I suppose it'd be just like black orb said about the last contest and I doubt anyone wants it to just fade out. I know tan's especially interested in seeing it through as it is his brain child. And I know art is a very personal thing to a lot of people here, which is why they are here. They put their heart and imatination and a lot of time and effort into something. But as mum and unne mentioned everyone's going to the point of being really hard on themselves and despairing needlessly. Not that you should just submit something and shrug it off. I know it matters to everyone. But most of you are indeed your own worst critics. I see Valkrie and Avrice stressing big time and I think that's the last thing one would want in an event (not so much a contest) that's just meant to be fun. Personally I think this whole thing could have used a bit more thought, but that would have required some experience/insight. So live and learn I guess. I just don't like seeing people burn out. I used to be an artist and stress is damaging. Evening a forgiving atmosphere like this. It should be avoided at all costs. Its not like the winner is going to get a scholarship to a prestigeous art school. Try and relax and roll with the punches. Shrug as much off as you can I guess. I'm not really sure what all I want to say, just that I know how a lot of you feel and I feel for you. But you're all imaginative and talented artists and I really enjoy seeing your work and waiting for more to come

tan
08-17-2006, 06:57 AM
I understand what Vyk is saying, but it's just more of a fairness thing. I think that they're getting angry over things not being fair, not necessarily because of the competition itself. I know this is a fun competition, but I want it to be serious because I think that's how it should be treated, but in a way, I want everyone to cool off a bit (even me, for getting angry for people suddenly quitting). I will try to make deadlines longer, if this helps alleviate stress. To tell you honestly, the whole reason why these first challenges' deadlines are so short is because I kind of think of them as more of the "preliminaries" whilst the last challenges will really be the good challenges (in which I will give long deadlines too, I assure you).

P.S. ValkyrieWing made us our own EoFF's Top Artist mascot! :D
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/amberxenon/mascot4.jpg

You can use it in your sig, if you want, but just be sure to credit her. I think you can even use it as an avatar just to kind of show off the competition :)

ValkyrieWing
08-17-2006, 07:12 AM
YAY! XD

I think that Vyk's, right. I really do need to calm down...

Nominus Experse
08-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Heh, the signature you have created, ValkyrieWing, is cute. It is slightly inaccurate however...

The amount of crumpled balls of failed drawings is more or less numbering in the tens... at least, that is how it has been with me.

I jest - I like it, and it's perfectly fine as is.

ValkyrieWing
08-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Heh, the signature you have created, ValkyrieWing, is cute. It is slightly inaccurate however...

The amount of crumpled balls of failed drawings is more or less numbering in the tens... at least, that is how it has been with me.

I jest - I like it, and it's perfectly fine as is.

Hmmm.....maybe she just got started! XD

Hmmm...maybe I should do a whoe series of chibis of her.....but that means she needs a name.

black orb
08-17-2006, 08:57 AM
it'd be just like black orb said about the last contest and I doubt anyone wants it to just fade out.
>>> It wasnt the last, i just said the first.. The last was the second version of SB`s art contest and it was a sucess..
BTW Chaos won that one, its a shame she didnt saw this one coming..

Dr Unne
08-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Well, I was originally planning to send it to them, but during the first challenge they just went to this thread and gave me their reviews, so I guess I'll just do that from now on :)

You could post a plain text link to the full-size versions (in this thread even). I'd like to see the bigger ones, I'm sure others would also.