PDA

View Full Version : The name "Quistis"

Dynast-Kid
08-09-2006, 05:11 AM
OK.I read somewhere that Square-Enix has stated that the name "Quistis" is of French origin and is pronounced KEY-stis.Not KWI-stis,which I always say.

So I was just wondering how everyone pronounced her name?

Meat Puppet
08-09-2006, 05:11 AM
KWI-stis. But I'm not bothered being wrong.

Arrianna
08-09-2006, 05:35 AM
I always pronounced it the same way...

...but you made me wonder so I looked it up. Questa is a French girls name meaning searcher and the "qu" combination is pronounced as "k". :O_O:

First Seifer and now Questis. Whose name am I going to mispronounce next? How do you say Rinoa anyway?

Moon Rabbits
08-09-2006, 05:48 AM
Kwi-stis

Rih-no-ah

Dr. Acula
08-09-2006, 06:27 AM
Ok lets go through ALL of them. In no particular order:
Kwis-tis
Say-fer or, as I always say, Se-fer
Rih-noh-ah
Sell-fee
Ed-ee-ah
Skwall
Lah-goo-nah
Kye-ros
Ward (surely no-one needs help with that)
Zell (come ON, people!)
Err-vyne
Add-ell
Ull-ti-mee-see-ah

Thorn
08-09-2006, 06:47 AM
WTf is keystis? Its obviously kwi-stis.

Xurts
08-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Kwi-sts
Sigh-fur
Rin-oh-ah
La-gun-ah/La-goon-ah (I pronounce it both)
Kigh-rows

Everything else is pretty self-explanatory.

Slade
08-09-2006, 07:40 AM
I usually pronounce it as Kwis-tis.......I'm pretty sure it's actually pronounced as Quest-is though.....

Aralith
08-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Whether or not that key-stis thing is true, I've always pronounced it as kwis-tis.

G SpOtZ
08-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Wasn't there already a thread on Quistis' pronunciation? Maybe it just got old, or something.

I'm sticking with Kwis-tis because it sounds better than whatever the hell you're trying to say.

Sk-wall (Squall)
Rin-oh-uh (Rinoa)
Zell. Yeah, Zell.
Sel-fee (Selphie)
Err-vin (Irvine)
See-fer (Seifer)
Ed-ay-uh (Edea)
Oh-deen (Odine)
Ay-ohn (Ellone)

Anything else?

Kwin-uh (Quina, hah.)

Acid Raine
08-09-2006, 08:45 AM
God....who thought of using names with weird pronounciations in a pure text game?

I say Kwis-tis, but thats just me

I DO say Ay-ohn for Ellone. ell = ay. Same for the word Paella.

Xurts
08-09-2006, 08:50 AM
It's because Squenix is a Japanese company. So of course they are going to have strange names, plus the fact that they have to be translated to English.

Acid Raine
08-09-2006, 09:11 AM
They usually change the named things into something more recognizable for American and Europeans. They do it horribly on animes............

boys from the dwarf
08-09-2006, 09:42 AM
because of different languages amd ways we pronounce thing, there is no single correct name. E.G. in FF7 i thought reno was pronounced renno and yuffie was pronounced yuff-ee. but in japanese those letters in that position have long sounds so its ree-no and you-fee. but that doesnt neccasarily make me wrong. i guess their original name pronunciation is the right one though.

Terror of Zanarkand
08-09-2006, 09:50 AM
who cares shes weak and she sucks lol

Slade
08-09-2006, 09:57 AM
:eek:
I could kill you right now.......

boys from the dwarf
08-09-2006, 10:20 AM
will you elavourate on that. or are you going to be all, ROFL she r teh weak?

daggertrepe
08-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Quistis is french, so it is indefinetly "keystis" :rolleyes2

rubah
08-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Keys-tis would make sense for anyone who has ever studied french :p

It definitely makes a lot of sense for it to be pronounced that way. Not to mention it's easier to say :p and a lot easier on the ears.

[edit-- FF8 was supposed to be a 'western' game, so it would make sense that the names would be picked from more western countries, rather than japanese sounding ones. Of course they do that anyways, but more extensively in ff8 :p Quistis is frenchy in origin, someone above mentioned how germanic Seifer was. Squall is already an English word, and Irving and Selphie is very close to an English name. Rinoa is the token asian character, and Fuijin and Raijin apparently are based off of some japanese legend.

But then you have Quezacoatl, who is Aztec in origin, and never seen before (or since) in the series, Doomtrain, who is a freaking train for obviousness's sake, and I just suddenly wondered why I'm typing this all. Never mind.

daggertrepe
08-09-2006, 01:09 PM
I agree. "Keystis" sounds much prettier and flowier. Think about it.

Twilight Edge
08-09-2006, 04:43 PM
I pronounce it as KWIS-tis though I know it's called KEYS-tis.

others:
-Ss-kwall(Squall)
-Ri-no-ah(Rinoa)
-Zell.
-Sel-fee(Selphie)
-Err-veene(Irvine)
-Sigh-fer(Seifer,I use the KH pronounciation)
-E-D-ya(Edea)
-La-goo-na(Laguna)
-Kee-ros(Kiros)
-Ward.
-A-del.
-Ul-ti-mee-ci-ah(Ultimecia)
-Ea-lone(Ellone)/Ell-lee(Elle)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-09-2006, 05:12 PM
But then you have Quezacoatl, who is Aztec in origin, and never seen before (or since) in the series, Doomtrain, who is a freaking train for obviousness's sake, and I just suddenly wondered why I'm typing this all. Never mind.In the Japanese version of the game, Doomtrain is called Glasya-Labolas, which is the name of a Goetian demon. I can just see the localization staff trying to make sense of that, though.

TRANSLATOR #1: "Gurashya...Grasha...Raborus? Man, even if I figure this out, it's never going to fit on a menu screen anyway."
TRANSLATOR #2: "Screw it, man. Let's just call it Doomtrain and punch out early."

Dynast-Kid
08-09-2006, 10:15 PM
LOL!KEY-stis sounds so much better though...Glasya-Labolas is an awesome name!

Yuffie514
08-10-2006, 12:24 AM
i pronounce it like "key-stis". sometimes i feel that name is prone to twist tongues...

Cookie
08-10-2006, 12:26 AM
I've called her Kwis-tis from the very first time i played the game and i'm not gonna change now. I don't care how you pronounce it.

rubah
08-10-2006, 01:05 AM
something about demons

doomtrain doesn't seem to have nearly as many appendages as google images indicates this dude to have.

Auragaea
08-10-2006, 01:17 AM
I pronounce it KWEES-tees, even though I know that's wrong. If had to pick one, I'd say KEYS-tis sounds more proper than KWIS-tis. And I pronounce Seifer, Sigh-fer. The EI is pronounced like the EI in Eileen.

*~Angel Wing~*
08-10-2006, 03:13 AM
I've called her Kwis-tis from the very first time i played the game and i'm not gonna change now. I don't care how you pronounce it.
Same with me. :up:

I agree. "Keystis" sounds much prettier and flowier. Think about it.
I think it sounds awful. :barf: :down:

Kwis-tis sound A LOT better, and 80% of the poll agrees with me. :up:

Zeromus_X
08-10-2006, 03:18 AM
Key-stis sounds a bit more regal and fancy (if only because it's in French, and is automatically glorified by me), and, you know, official what-not. Besides, Quistis is one of my favorite characters anyway. :cat:

I never knew that about Doomtrain. Leave it to the Kishinator.

Arrianna
08-10-2006, 06:19 PM
I checked Kwi-stis on the poll because until now I didn't know better, but I have to agree that Key-stis sounds more elegant.

(Originally I actually pronounced it Quest-es and wondered why they choose a name like that.)

Sefie1999AD
08-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Kiss this! :p

*~Angel Wing~*
08-10-2006, 07:44 PM
lol

Rocket Edge
08-10-2006, 08:03 PM
I pronounce it as KWIS-tis.

FTF
08-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Keys-tis would make sense for anyone who has ever studied french :p

Uhmmm... only the first syllable. You wouldn't have a word-final "s" sound in a French name. So it's... " 'Kwiss-tiss " or " Kees'tee ". I'll stick with the English version... it sounds less wierd to me. :p

(... or Kvis- because German kicks ass)