PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix to Create Gaming Hardware?

Crossblades
08-09-2006, 02:17 PM
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2006/080806a.html

Yoichi Wada, president of Square-Enix, recently offered commentary that hints that the company may have future plans to create videogame hardware. Square-Enix is of course best known for its long-running Final Fantasy franchise.

Wada, in comments to Nikkei Business Online, noted that two of the most successful products in recent history are the Nintendo DS and Apple iPod. Said Wada: "The strategy behind Nintendo and the iPod, to create a new environment based on hardware, is completely valid. But this is impossible if you don't have experience making hardware."

"This is one of the reasons Square-Enix will collaborate with Taito," he explained, "a company that produces physical hardware. In our talks with Taito, ideas for an actual physical product have come up. In any case, we will be releasing some 'thing.'" Taito, which was acquired by Square-Enix last September, has market experience with both arcade and PC-oriented hardware. When asked what sort of hardware the unnamed product would be, Wada answered cryptically: "It's interesting, in that it's not the sort of thing you expect from Square-Enix."

Reine
08-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Seems pretty strange, but also pretty cool..

edczxcvbnm
08-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Probably a crappy portable FF strip poker game that will be manufactured by tiger electronics in the US.

KentaRawr!
08-09-2006, 04:31 PM
It's probably a Red Mage Cup Holding Cap.

Anyway, that's pretty interesting. I hope they show off the idea soon.

feona17
08-09-2006, 04:42 PM
That sounds cool actually... but, then again it isn't that farfetched... I mean, they do produce games... *shrugs*

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-09-2006, 04:50 PM
EoFF to Create Square Enix Forum??? O_O

Necronopticous
08-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Wonderswan Advance.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-09-2006, 05:19 PM
I like that they're collaborating with Taito. I want my Bubble Bobble Fantasy.

DJZen
08-09-2006, 07:34 PM
$10 says it's just an accessory.