PDA

View Full Version : Challenge

Goldenboko
08-09-2006, 05:31 PM
My friend told me if I could do a no stat-junction challenge (beat the game without junctioning any magic to your stats) then I would be better then him at FFVIII (He's really good at FFs so thats an acomplishment to me).
I started a couple of days ago. I'm in timber right after the part where Seifer attacks the president and goes with Edea.
My Squall is Lvl. 20 something
And everyone else is 13-15, I did this perposely so my average level would be low so Squall would be stronger then the enemies. And I have tons of good magic already (everyone has 100 Curaga and Rinoa has 50 Cura, and everyone has 100 cure, and Esuna). To make up for their bad stats my other two characters will cast double, cast shell and protect on the party and then use either Fira, Thundara, Blizzara, Water, Aero, or Quake (I have them already) during boss battles. On tough enemies, and for trainning I plan on using Dengenator, which I got from Refining a Gesper card right in the beginning start. (I used that on T-Rexuars when you head toward the "secret place")

How does my start sound?

EDIT- Oh and I forgot for bosses that are really tough I already have som 3rd level attacking spells.

Mirage
08-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Would it not be easier to keep your levels really low, and make up for that with strong magic? Also, are you allowed to junction skills and abilities?

You can also use the Devour command to eat certain enemies for permanent stat increases.

Goldenboko
08-09-2006, 07:13 PM
No because once you get to about level +30 the normal enemies don't level much. And abilities are allowed you just can't junction magic to stats.

Mirage
08-09-2006, 07:20 PM
I have difficulties believing that, but ok.

DfKimera
08-09-2006, 10:14 PM
2 of the 5 times i have beat FF8 i didn't juctioned magic to elements or status, just to skills. Its not hard. Of course, I skipped things like fighting Omega Weapon.

Sir Bahamut
08-09-2006, 10:19 PM
No because once you get to about level +30 the normal enemies don't level much. And abilities are allowed you just can't junction magic to stats.

That's not true. Random enemies keep a level range according to the average level of your three fighting party members. (Most) Bosses, on the other hand, have a fixed upper level, so it's still benefitial to keep high levels. Random encounters can be avoided with Enc.None and such anyway.

One trick though is to keep 2 party members at a very high level and 1 at a very low level. The lower levelled person will bring down the average a lot. You'll have to judge for yourself if this is worth it though...

Goldenboko
08-09-2006, 11:08 PM
(Your right random encounters do level all the way to 100) But I don't need to worry about them as long as I have Degenerator (sorry if misspelled) which I already have. Bosses stop leveling for example Krysta stops leveling I think by level 54.

And I mean I won't have it Junctioned on Hp, Attack, and so on from the beginning to the end.

ScottNUMBERS
08-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Good luck to you, I'm also currently engrosed in this challenge. It's not too difficult at the moment, I hope it gets harder.

Goldenboko
08-09-2006, 11:21 PM
What part of the game are you at?

ScottNUMBERS
08-10-2006, 12:08 AM
I'm at Timber at the moment I obviously didn't expect any of it to be even remotely hard yet, Blizzaga makes short work of all the bosses at this stage. What point of the game are you at?

Also: To make it that extra bit harder I'm not allowing the use of GFs or Weapon upgrades on my game.

licence
08-10-2006, 12:23 AM
You want a challenge? Try to beat the game with zero junctioning, now that would make you bad ass. But I think it's probably impossible, seeing as the furthest I've ever got was to about Elvorot.

ScottNUMBERS
08-10-2006, 10:56 AM
You want a challenge? Try to beat the game with zero junctioning, now that would make you bad ass. But I think it's probably impossible, seeing as the furthest I've ever got was to about Elvorot.
No, that would be incredibly boring and will have no element of challenge what-so-ever as your only option is attack. I don't think it's impossible either, in fact I'm 99% sure it's not.

boys from the dwarf
08-10-2006, 11:15 AM
when you get to the point where you can easily fight mesmerizes (they are unicorn like creatures that are found in the trabia area.) get as many mesmerize horns as you can because they can refine into mega-potions and seems as your magic stat will be quite low these will be useful. low magic stat means that cura and curaga wont be all too powerful. good luck. if you level up to level 100 your HP will be just over 3000 without junctioning so you may or may not want to do that seems as the enemies level up with you. id suggest getting up to at least level 30 so you can draw high level spells from enemies and if you can beat bahamut i think youll find it useful to refine his card into 100 megalixirs. i take it your refining a load of stuff to get high level spells. cards are usually the best way to get good tihngs from refining E.G. the diablos card refines into 100 black holes which teaches quistis a blue magic skill and each one can refine into 30 demis. the sacred card (or minotaur. i cant remember.) refines into 100 dinosaur bones which get you 20 quakes each and odins card refines into stuff that can get you tons of haste magic. i wont say much more on this sort of thing though because id imagine you know how to get most magics anyway. hope some of this can help.

Sir Bahamut
08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
For those who say a perfect No-Junction Challenge (ie. no GF's junctioned to anyone ever) is impossible, you're all wrong.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/197343.html

You'll find a No-Junction Challenge FAQ there which explains how it is done.

Mirage
08-10-2006, 01:33 PM
A complete no-junction challenge seems like way too much for me :(. I could go with a no stat-junctioning game though.

Goldenboko
08-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Dwarf,
I would normally accept help, but I'm trying to do this myself so in the future don't post advice on this thread.

Darkwing Bahamut
08-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I beat the game with no Stat Junctions on my first playthrough. I had no problems with Ultimecia, though with things like Omega Weapon it's a different story.