PDA

View Full Version : Doom

BakerMan
08-10-2006, 03:14 AM
From Doom95, Doom II, Final Doom, and sadly(yes I hate this one)Doom III. What do you think of these games. I like the first three but Doom III ruined it for me. Doom was always 2-d (ish) and I can't really stand the new graphics for it. My favorite is Doom II because I beat it around 10 times now.:D

Meat Puppet
08-10-2006, 03:18 AM
My grandfather used to make me play one of the earlier Doom games with him. Good times.

I haven't played any of the new Doom games.

edczxcvbnm
08-10-2006, 03:21 AM
I loved DooM III and Resurrection of Evil. Just good ol' shoot'em up mindless fun...but with demons from hell. I liked that.

I never did play final doom though. Anyone got a download link or something?

Sylvie
08-10-2006, 03:21 AM
Final Doom is insanely hard.

BakerMan
08-10-2006, 03:24 AM
Yeah I couldn't beat that on the Ultra hard level but even the Please don't kill me or whatever the easiest setting is, is insane. I used to play it with my dad when i was like 5 then columbine happened... I hate them for that. But now I have it again.

Necronopticous
08-10-2006, 03:26 AM
Doom is a wonderful series, since its conception it has continued to pull me in for a unique, awesome experience with each installment. Doom 3 is the best game in the series, and Doom 4 will be even better, I'm sure.

Erdrick Holmes
08-10-2006, 04:05 AM
ed, PM me with your email address and I'll get it to you via yousendit.

Vyk
08-10-2006, 04:15 AM
I agree it was more user-friendly in 2D. They use too many shock-scares for it to be legit in 3D. I always over-compensate when I have to target quickly to save my ass. Good way to waste ammo. But I don't think I died all that much when I rented it. I really enjoyed it for a 3D shooter (not usually a fan of that genre) but I don't think I'd buy it at full price. The originals were a blast though. DooM64 being the best :]

Erdrick Holmes
08-10-2006, 04:23 AM
Funny story. I went to buy the Doom 3 Collectors Edition for XBox (Since this was ten dollars less than the regular version and includes playable Doom 1 and 2.) I went to the store, bought it, came back home, opened the box... THE DISC WAS GONE. Somebody who packed it replaced the disc with a CDR to match the weight, it was shrink wrapped before I opened it too. I grabbed my reciept, box, the rest of the crap, went down to the store, and the dillholes wouldn't refund my money since I had already opened the box. So I had to rebuy it.

Reine
08-10-2006, 05:00 AM
I could go on forever about how great Doom is. But I'll spare you it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-10-2006, 05:13 AM
I had some very good times with Doom and Doom II in '93 through '95, and I still love the rockin scores Bobby Prince composed (http://trexattack.ytmnd.com) for them.

Madame Adequate
08-10-2006, 05:14 AM
DooM brings back some gooooood memories. Haven't played much of III yet though, haven't found a cheap copy anywhere.

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
08-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Final Doom is insanely hard.

Isn't God Mode the solution to that problem ?

Man, I remember the time when a friend of mine played it with no-clip & God Mode (single-player).

I long yearned to play it.:cry:

Sylvie
08-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Cheating on Doom is for noobs. So no, God Mode isn't the solution to that problem.

edczxcvbnm
08-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Did you know that you can still die with god mode on? Play the last level of doom II and stay in the area that hurts you when you walk on it and just kill demons for about an hour and you should eventually just die for some reason.

Erdrick Holmes
08-10-2006, 08:34 PM
I know what ed's talking about. When the large demon spitter thing spits little cubes that spawn monsters happens to shoot one right where you stand a demon spawns right on you which telekills you. Same thing happens when you stand on a teleporter and something goes through it, even when you're godmodded.

I Am Stoner
08-10-2006, 09:05 PM
Doom = Legend of the fps genre. So old and yet still so good, thats what great games should stay as. Amazing.

Cloudstrife4003
08-10-2006, 09:07 PM
That was the game that made the columbine happen...Demonic scaryness...or coolness,whatever..lol

Sylvie
08-10-2006, 09:11 PM
No, Columbine happened because 2 idiots decided to shoot everyone. It wasn't DooM, it was their mental stupidity.

Cloudstrife4003
08-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Well...they said they thought the people were demons...plus they found the doom game in their room! oooooo... opps...double post...It is a good game though...

Sylvie
08-10-2006, 09:15 PM
If they thought the people were demons, then its still not because of DooM. Its because of their idiocy/dillusional.

So you're saying if I lit myself on fire with a note that said "Country Music made me do it", and then they found the game DooM in my room, it would be because of DooM?

No.

Cloudstrife4003
08-10-2006, 09:17 PM
..........Um......ok....good point..

Sylvie
08-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Yes. And where did you get that the kids thought the people were demons? I'm pretty sure they were just pissed off at the world, and wanted to shoot all the Jocks/idiots or whatever.

Cloudstrife4003
08-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Well...people said that....not just my opinion...lol...I'm so weird...Genji....why do u have to surpass me in every way? /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif...I'm a jock....

Sylvie
08-10-2006, 09:22 PM
What? I'm not going to continue in here, because we're off topic.

Shoeberto
08-10-2006, 09:25 PM
I had some very good times with Doom and Doom II in '93 through '95, and I still love the rockin scores Bobby Prince composed for them.
http://doom.ocremix.org/
That's pretty much the coolest OCR collab ever.

I love Doom, I've loved it since I first played in in second grade, and I still play it pretty actively. It's a great pick-up-and-play game. Doom 3, of course, was iffy, but still playable. Great series.

JaytodaP
08-11-2006, 02:42 AM
I love DooM. I never got to play the full version though. Damn you shareware!! I never got to play the others either. I just kept playing the first episode over and over and over again.

Off-Topic bout Colombine: Our school actually had an assembly about violent video games on how violence there actually "makes me want to kill someone." It was on the list of games we should never play.When the crazy ass lady asked who played it, I was the only one man enough to raise my hand and start talking about how awesome it is.

Breine
08-11-2006, 01:18 PM
I used to play a lot of the first Doom many years ago when we had it on our computer. My dad even got into it, which was kinda disturbing to see... He's usually not much for video games and such.

Eureka
08-11-2006, 01:35 PM
i played doom :P i was 5 :D lol

doom 3 wasnt much to talk about though..

Sylvie
08-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Jaytoda, I bow down to you.

lovehurts
08-11-2006, 08:16 PM
I played on nightmare. You dont know doom 3 though until youve played the LMS cooperative mod. I love that mod.

Carl the Llama
08-12-2006, 08:54 AM
How can you say Doom III wasnt up to much, that game is the first game ever to make me jump (altho it did only happen once) its was when i was walking down a corridor and a body was hanging out of an air duct and alla sudden (just as you were about to go past it) the body shot right past you... classic.

Slade
08-12-2006, 09:26 AM
I love the original Dooms and still play them alot (great boredom buster game). I've finished Ultimate Doom, Doom II and Final Doom on Ultra Violence (second hardest level). Yep.....I'm a Doom nerd from waaaaay back ;)

Shoeberto
08-12-2006, 06:20 PM
I played on nightmare. You dont know doom 3 though until youve played the LMS cooperative mod. I love that mod.
I've wanted to check that out for so long, but the friends I game with are really jaded to Doom 3, so I'm not sure I'd be able to convince them. I might try to push it on them some more.

Captain Maxx Power
08-13-2006, 04:19 PM
I had some very good times with Doom and Doom II in '93 through '95, and I still love the rockin scores Bobby Prince composed (http://trexattack.ytmnd.com) for them.

You mean the songs he plagerised? Go listen to some Alice in Chains and tell me that Barrels 'O' Fun doesn't have "Angry Chair" as it's music.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Considering the quality of every other song on the Doom and Doom II soundtracks, I'm more than happy to let that one slide.

JaytodaP
08-13-2006, 04:59 PM
E3M1 is ON THE DOT with Pantera's mouth For War. E1M1 sounds Kinda like Metallica's no remorse.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-13-2006, 05:17 PM
The Rockman series has ripped off Bon Jovi, R.E.M., and Guns & Roses, but I hold no grudges against Yuuki-chan's Papa.

Captain Maxx Power
08-14-2006, 01:13 AM
You mean the songs he plagerised? Go listen to some Alice in Chains and tell me that Barrels 'O' Fun doesn't have "Angry Chair" as it's music.

Just to correct myself, Map 23 is Them Bones, Map 25 is Angry Chair (this is in Doom 2).

Sephex
08-14-2006, 01:46 AM
My dad and I got ridiculously good at the sharware version of Doom (which let you play the first part of the game). We both could go through Ultra Violence like it was nothing.

Alixsar
08-14-2006, 06:22 AM
I used to play Doom with my dad. I was overall better than him at video games, and I had the potential to be good at Doom if I worked at it (I have since gotten pretty decent at FPSes), but I wasn't good at Doom back then. So when we played together we worked as a team. I was more or less the co-pilot and worked as a navigator/spotter of sorts. My dad did all the actual work and I made sure he always knew where to go or how to get through a level or where he was getting shot from. Awesome times.

I never found Doom to be scary though. That's what bugs me the most about Doom 3. You're in the dark with a flashlight and stuff jumps out at you. That's not the Doom I used to play. I used to play the Doom where they played midi rock and you ran around and shot the living hell out of everything that could move and wasn't a door. And sometimes you shot those too.