PDA

View Full Version : would you play a Starcraft Mowgee?

Markus. D
08-10-2006, 01:29 PM
if so, what would you have in it, scheme of battles etc...

Mowgee = MMORPG by the way >->

Tavrobel
08-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Yes, if I didn't have to pay. Otherwise, smurf them because of SC patch 1.14.

Madame Adequate
08-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Yes, if I didn't have to pay. Otherwise, smurf them because of SC patch 1.14.

So no then.

I would strongly consider it. But I'm sure they'd find some way of wrecking up the PvP, which should be impossible to avoid in a SC game.

JKTrix
08-10-2006, 04:04 PM
'Mowgee'?
Pronouncing 'MMORPG' (Mamorpaga) is how I would say it, but now that I've typed it out it looks like a Final Fantasy spell.

Madame Adequate
08-10-2006, 07:04 PM
'Mowgee'?
Pronouncing 'MMORPG' (Mamorpaga) is how I would say it, but now that I've typed it out it looks like a Final Fantasy spell.

That's a fantastic pronunciation, and I am hereby going to use that instead of "Em em oh are pee gee".

starseeker
08-10-2006, 07:06 PM
I call it a Morge (morgue)

Tainted Angel
08-10-2006, 07:06 PM
'Mowgee'?

Haha... I like that. May I use it as a spell in a FFRPG I'm playing?

Shoeberto
08-10-2006, 11:21 PM
I just shorten it to MMO, like my friends do.

An SC MMO would be leet. There's not enough good scifi mmos.

Markus. D
08-11-2006, 01:43 AM
:D

man.... imagine how many nubs would choose to be Protoss.

Skyblade
08-11-2006, 06:50 AM
:D

man.... imagine how many nubs would choose to be Protoss.

Can't say I'd blame them. There'd have to be some serious balance work done. Protoss are individually the strongest units out there. There are plenty of Zerg fanboys, but, since the Zerg's biggest strength is numbers, they'd have some trouble keeping up. Protoss shields alone would give them a major advantage if they hold to the WoW style of play. It'd be like a self-regenerating Power Word: Shield.

Actually, if the Zerg were playable, then does that mean that Hydralisks, Mutalisks, Ultralisks, Lurkers, etc, would be their classes? If so, we might get plenty of Zerg.

Unfortunately, I can't see the majority of the Terran units being implemented that way. Goliaths, Vultures, Siege Tanks would probably never be seen in an MMORPG, since they are vehicles, we'd just get Firebats, Medics, Marines, and Ghosts (which means 95% of the human players would be ghosts in the beginning).

Lionx
08-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Yeah tbh Ghosts are the only "cool" infantry unit..but they can always change a few things, we might even see Vultures as mounts. I aint into the PvP thing, but i might be fine just playing it once in a while.

Markus. D
08-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Im going to make up a class chart for how I would see it >_>

Eureka
08-11-2006, 11:14 AM
lol i take this piss out of warcraft saying World of Starcraft would own WoW i think it would anyway..

Rostum
08-11-2006, 11:15 AM
As long as they don't name it "World of..." and as long as they add something new and original to the MMO scene. Everything's getting way too generic.

Markus. D
08-11-2006, 02:12 PM
well isnt starcraft more... Planet to Planet :]

Madame Adequate
08-11-2006, 03:11 PM
If there were a SC MMO there'd be some radical changes to the classes, out of necessity. A well-played Pally is still pretty formidable, but they're nothing next to Arthas and Uther. By the same token, Warriors are far, far more powerful than Footmen ever were (Or Knights, for that matter). So by the same token here, there would be massive changes of skills and abilities to balance things out.

It would be great to see three diverse races without identical classes, though.

And yes, I would be Protoss. They are sexy.

Tavrobel
08-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Ghosts and High Templar would be SO rigged. Although I think they would remove the ability to merge into an Archon, unless they change the history to figure out that High Templar can temporarily become Archons by themselves, and that it takes two to merge permanently.

Dark Templar? Win. (MC in DA form+Cloak plz)

Zergling? Win. (Agi based assassin = <3)

Hydralisk? Win. (any unit with a potato chip flavor based on them in Korea is automatic victoly)

Although Vulture based heroes would have a sick ride. PIMP MY RIDE, BEEATCH!

Skyblade
08-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Ghosts and High Templar would be SO rigged. Although I think they would remove the ability to merge into an Archon, unless they change the history to figure out that High Templar can temporarily become Archons by themselves, and that it takes two to merge permanently.

Hydralisk? Win. (any unit with a potato chip flavor based on them in Korea is automatic victoly)

I doubt Archons would be there, and MC won't be there, unless it is like the MC in WoW, temporary and it prevents you from acting. Dark Templar would be awesome because they'd be permanent stealthed Rogue units with shields.

Hydralisks would rock, and would probably be the single most played Zerg unit.

Lurkers are my personal favorite Zerg unit, and they would be really interesting in an MMORPG, due to their unique attack. They would probably be dropped or made enemy only. I wonder how burrowing would work...

Rogue Units:
Ghost: Stealthy attacker, but focuses on ranged rather than melee combat.
Dark Templar: Melee unit with shields and permanent stealth.
Zergling: Fast and agile, and can burrow to hide.

Warrior Units:
Firebat
Zealot (or Archon if they have them)
Ultralisk: Probably the strongest armored units in the game, with the attack to match, definitely the Zerg tank.

Mage Units:
The closest the Terrans had was the Science vessel, and I don't think that'd work.
High Templar
Defiler/Queen

Priest Units:
Medic: Only real healer in the game, so we'd have to add one for the other classes.

Hunter Units:
Marine
Don't think we had a ranged Protoss ground unit, unless the Archon is allowed.
Hydralisk

Tavrobel
08-11-2006, 07:56 PM
I doubt Archons would be there, and MC won't be there, unless it is like the MC in WoW, temporary and it prevents you from acting. Dark Templar would be awesome because they'd be permanent stealthed Rogue units with shields.

That's probably how it would work, I would think. They could also make it so that it works like Pets in WoW.

Lurkers are my personal favorite Zerg unit, and they would be really interesting in an MMORPG, due to their unique attack. They would probably be dropped or made enemy only. I wonder how burrowing would work...

I think it would work like cloak and that you need a detection spell. Perhaps Burrow as a racial attribute would provide increased HP/MP regen, possibly. Infested Terran = class?

Rogue Units:

Zealots would kinda be like the Barbarian in Diablo II, be able to equip two-handed swords in one hand for a different attack value.

Mage Units:
The closest the Terrans had was the Science vessel, and I don't think that'd work.
High Templar
Defiler/Queen

Medic (but that's essentially a dedicated healer). Or Ghosts could get more spells, and become the spellcaster with healing skills. Queen are also air units, so that might not work. If so, then the Vulture would become the Rogue with an automatic ride.

Priest Units:
Medic: Only real healer in the game, so we'd have to add one for the other classes.

Shield batteries LAWLERCAKES ROFLBLASTAR! SCVs, too. I've seen a SCV repair a Protoss building before... it's freaky (and hax).

Hunter Units:
Marine
Hydralisk

Dragoon, but they werren't organic units, despite an organic host. Goliaths would also work well in this situation (for Terran). It seems Marines can do anything; just ask Jim Raynor.

And for all those interested, it would appear that they possibly could be making a SC2.
It's unlikely, but possible *keeps fingers crossed*
http://www.infoceptor.com/

Rumors of Starcraft 2? - Deathwing @ 2:37:51 EDT
In the last two days, escalating developments has suggested the possibility that Starcraft 2 may finally see the light of day... at the light of becoming reality! Direct from Gamespot:

This week, though, the myriad Blizzard RTS fans got some good news, courtesy of a job posting on the official Blizzard Web site. The company is now currently accepting resumes for the position of "Level Designer" with "experience building levels using any popular 3D Real-Time Strategy game toolset." (Emphasis added.) Candidates must have "experience creating levels in [a] 3D RTS game toolset" such as those used in Rise of Legends, Command & Conquer, and--drum roll--Warcraft III.

While the job posting appears to be proof positive that Blizzard is working on a new RTS game--which some speculate is Starcraft II--reps for the Vivendi-owned studio weren't tipping their hand. "We have some unannounced projects in development," a rep told GameSpot, "and we'll be revealing more information about those at a later date."

In addition, Blizzard has made a release statement that it has pulled people from the console development team:

Following "an extensive evaluation of the company's aggressive development plans," the traditionally PC-centric developer now "plans to strengthen its current development efforts by refocusing key members of its console team on other projects."

The only currently announced console title in development... and on permanent hold at that, is Starcraft: Ghost. We also know that Blizzard is currently developming one unannounced project. Could it be Starcraft 2? Please let it be so!

Kudos to Firefly for the news.

DocFrance
08-13-2006, 03:03 AM
I think you guys are looking at this as too much of a direct translation of the game. Just look at the difference between WC3 and WoW. WC3 has a good number of different units, but WoW has only 9 different classes that have a huge number of abilities. I mean, you could say that warriors are like foot soldiers or grunts, but since when did grunts have abilities like cleave or sunder armor? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single unit in WC3 that is dedicated to healing, but in WoW you have 1 pure healer and 3 classes that have healing abilities.

So I doubt that you're going to see the exact same classes in a SC MMO that you do in SC itself.

Tavrobel
08-13-2006, 03:12 AM
Well, it's just a general idea. Things could be radically different (and likely, they are).

However, WoW combines the lore and gameplay of three games and their respective expansions, not just one. WC/WC2 has dedicated healer units, and also had a dedicated Mage/Summoning class.

As for Grunts Sundering and cleaving, we are not sure that they don't do that. It's mostly a representation of battle, rather than seeing it, as we don't actually see Paladins using EVERYTHING at their disposal, and even Mages don't use everything. In a cutscene, Jaina hid from both Antonidas and Arthas, yet she does not use Invisibility on herself during the in-game campaigns. Grom Hellscream himself was a Grunt (albeit a very skilled one).

Of course we aren't going to see a Carbon Copy, but at least we can get an idea. Ohh, what about players using Mechs (Vultures, Golis, Wraiths, Scouts, whatnot) to race or complete missions, and you have to upgrade the Mech everyone once in awhile, oo that would be tasty! a very diverse element to SC indeed.

Markus. D
08-13-2006, 04:19 AM

Hydralisks would rock, and would probably be the single most played Zerg unit.

Rogue Units:

Warrior Units:
Firebat
Zealot (or Archon if they have them)
Ultralisk: Probably the strongest armored units in the game, with the attack to match, definitely the Zerg tank.

Mage Units:
High Templar
Defiler/Queen

Priest Units:

Hunter Units:
Marine
Hydralisk

Dragoon maybe o_o?