PDA

View Full Version : Windows Updates

Sylvie
08-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Ok, this is really annoying me. This pop up from my System Tray keeps asking if I want to "Restart now" or "Restart later". Its getting in my way when I'm trying to do something important. Is there a way to disable it? I would update but I'm afraid it will detect some pirated programs on my PC.

Cipher
08-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Yay, I can answer this!

Press Windows-R. Type “services.msc” in the box and press Enter. Scroll down the list that appears to the item “Automatic Updates”. Right-click that item and choose “Stop”. All done. No more notice.

Keep in mind that whenever you do reboot your computer, the service will restart all over again so you'll know when new updates are available.

And as far as updating...Microsoft doesn't really care about any other pirated program . I mean, at the very worst, they'll just keep you from being able to update, and even then they'll still let you download the critical patches. In other words, you don't really have anything to worry about there.

Samuraid
08-10-2006, 07:53 PM
You can also right-click on My Computer, select Properties from the menu.
On the pop-up window, click the Automatic Updates tab.

You can turn off automatic updates there and they will stay off, even after you restart. :smash:

However, if you turn them off, you'll want to manually keep your computer up to date by visiting http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ regularly.