PDA

View Full Version : What are Sony up too...

Dreddz
08-10-2006, 08:27 PM
As we all know, the PS3 controller will have motion sensoring, nothing new, still a nice feature but it will mean that the new controllers wont have rumble of any kind. Now, back in 1999 Sony made a motion sensoring controller ( which I own ( its alright I suppose ), that controller did have both rumble and motion sensoring. 6 years on, were seeing the same controller without rumble. I'd imagine controllers nowadays to be more advanced than previous controllers. Is Sony lazy and getting rid of it because they think no one is intrested, or is there something else hidden in the controller that gets in the way of rumble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cOBtMMWteA&NR
The Motion Sensoring controller back from 1999.

Erdrick Holmes
08-10-2006, 08:32 PM
I just wish Sony would work on their crappy controller design. The dpad is just aweful, if you play a game that requires you to fiddle with the dpad relentlessly you'll tear up your thumb. Why not just make a dpad that's plus shaped, and not four divits elevated above the serface of the controller.

edczxcvbnm
08-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Sony isn't putting in the rumble feature because they would have to pay royalties to do that. They lost a case last year or the year before for illegally using the rumble technology which another company had a patent on. They were sue...lost and then had to pay a boat load of cash for everything already sold.

Same case was brought against microsoft...they payed the fine and then even bought a part of said company...maybe like 10% but no where near the majority contorl.

Sylvie
08-10-2006, 08:53 PM
I want that game with the flying PS3 controller.

Agent Proto
08-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Sony did NOT make this controller. Pelican did, and Pelican is a third party company that makes periphals just like these controllers for the big boys as a cheaper alternative to first party controllers and such.

That does NOT mean Sony made this TiltForce. Get your damn facts straight.

Also: http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/EGM_Vol7__1_Jan_1994_SNES_Tilt_.jpg

Sylvie
08-10-2006, 09:12 PM
I STILL want that game with the flying PS3 controller.

Back on topic: Yeah, what Proto said.

Dreddz
08-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Sony did NOT make this controller. Pelican did, and Pelican is a third party company that makes periphals just like these controllers for the big boys as a cheaper alternative to first party controllers and such.

That does NOT mean Sony made this TiltForce. Get your damn facts straight.

Also: http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/EGM_Vol7__1_Jan_1994_SNES_Tilt_.jpg

When did I mention Sony coming up with Tilt Sensoring first ?
You didnt even contribute anything towards to thread...

MageLuingil
08-10-2006, 09:51 PM
When did I mention Sony coming up with Tilt Sensoring first ?

Now, back in 1999 Sony made a motion sensoring controller

Just to answer your question.

Anyway, it does rather suck they can't incorporate the rumble feature anymore. They're charging enough for the system, you'd think they could afford to pay royalties for the feature, but oh well. I'll live, I guess.

Dreddz
08-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I never said Sony was the first to make the Tilt Controllers. Proto wanted to be a smart-ass, it really dosent matter, people get worked up over the stupidest things...

Agent Proto
08-10-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm not worked up, I was just upset you claimed Sony made that controller back in '99. I was just pointing out that you're wrong.

edczxcvbnm
08-10-2006, 10:10 PM
I never said Sony was the first to make the Tilt Controllers. Proto wanted to be a smart-ass, it really dosent matter, people get worked up over the stupidest things...

You claimed Sony made a tilt sensing controller in 99 when they did not. 3rd party companies did from what I hear. No one but you said anything about sony being first.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-10-2006, 10:34 PM
There's no truth to Kaz's "we can't have force feedback because it would interfere with the tilt sensor" excuse. ed stated the real reason they're leaving it out.

JKTrix
08-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Well, we can rely on someone like Pelican (or preferably Logitech/Hori) to make a pad with rumble. Hopefully the game developers will design their games with rumble in mind, despite the fact that the stock PS3 controller will not support it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-11-2006, 09:25 AM
The vast majority of developers will not bother to develop for something that specifically does not exist in the main controller and therefore will only ever be appreciated by a small percent of their audience.

Rostum
08-11-2006, 09:57 AM
The only time I've ever used a vibrating controler was when I played Star Fox 64, that actually came with the rumble pack.

It's really not a big deal for me, I guess.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-11-2006, 10:04 AM
So you've never played a PS2 game?

Rostum
08-11-2006, 10:56 AM
So you've never played a PS2 game?

Not many, the ones I play allow for the vibration to be disabled.

Eureka
08-11-2006, 11:20 AM
dude sony didnt make tilt controller i think.. unless you mean that one you get with ridge racer 4 :P lol they have twist controllers too..

but my friend has a 'gamester' or some crap 3rd party make that has tilt control on it.. that was in 1999 :P its blue.. ill google it ;)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004TNT5.02._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

;) lol that was fun play toca on :)

Rostum
08-11-2006, 11:27 AM
I think we've already established that it was a third party company that made the tilt sensoring.

Eureka
08-11-2006, 11:42 AM
i wanted a picture though :P

Dreddz
08-11-2006, 12:16 PM
they have twist controllers too..

If you mean the NeGcon, that thing was a piece of crap, it breaks so easy !

Eureka
08-11-2006, 12:18 PM
lol yeah im pretty agressive at gran turismo and mine kinda.. broke as a i was racing.. which led to me breaking it more and losing the race :(

Big D
08-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Hmm. I'd just assumed there'd be a vibration feature for the PS3, since it's such a commonplace feature these days. Damn.
I've never been too clear on how you're supposed to use the tilt feature effectively - who sits stock-still with the controller dead upright, anyway? Most people tend to move at least a little, surely... what's to prevent normal motions from upsetting the controls?

Will the PS3 be compatible with PS2 controllers, like the PS2 was with the PS1? 'Cause it'd be good to know it's possible to keep getting the full effect of all the older vibration-compatible games...

Dreddz
08-11-2006, 12:58 PM
No, PS2 controllers wont work with the PS3.

Hambone
08-11-2006, 08:04 PM
I like the idea of the motion sensor controller.

Elite Lord Sigma
08-11-2006, 08:10 PM
I think the excuse that Sony gave to as to why they didn't put tilt-sensing (it's not full-blown motion sensing) and rumble is total rubbish. If they didn't lose that lawsuit, I see no reason why they couldn't put it in the same controller. Not that I was planning to get a PS3 before I read this, anyway.

farplaner
08-12-2006, 01:43 AM
I think the excuse that Sony gave to as to why they didn't put tilt-sensing (it's not full-blown motion sensing) and rumble is total rubbish. If they didn't lose that lawsuit, I see no reason why they couldn't put it in the same controller. Not that I was planning to get a PS3 before I read this, anyway.

But they did lose the lawsuit, according to edc on this thread (whom I don't doubt). The more I hear about the PS3, the more uncertain I am about it...