PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS

Cookie
08-10-2006, 08:48 PM
I am seriously considering buying a Nintendo DS and i really need some advice. Yes or No? I need to know which games are good as well, i really want FFIII.

JKTrix
08-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Get: Yes. Not just for FF3, there are more (and probably better) games that are already out.

If you have a Nintendo system, you need to have some kind of Mario Game. You have 4 to choose from (that I know of...5 if you count the Baskteball import) but New Super Mario Brothers is the most highly reccomended of those 3 from me. The other 3 are Mario & Luigi RPG, Mario Kart and Mario 64.

If you can find Trauma Center or Phoenix Wright, those are good games to pick up.

Advance Wars is a time sucker and awesome game.

Tetris.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is another top action game for the DS.
These are a few, but we don't want you spending all of your money :P

Jowy
08-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Yes, buy it. You won't be able to put the thing down either.

In terms of game recommendations:

Super Princess Peach, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Trace Memory, Electroplankton, Mario Kart, Advance Wars, Resident Evil Deadly Silence, Animal Crossing: Wild World, and New Super Mario Brothers are amazing.

And good god, what with Children of Mana, Final Fantasy III, Contact, Portrait of Ruin, and Magical Starsign on the way, I think you'd be pleased with the launch lineup by the end of the year.

I just lucked out and found a copy of Trauma Center myself today. <3

Cookie
08-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Thank You! I think you may have persuaded me into buying one.

Crossblades
08-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Get a DS. Along with New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart DS

Dreddz
08-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Its alright, it has had massive popularity, but I dont think the sales numbers match the quality. I enjoy playing Tetris DS and Bleach but the system is made out to be alot better than it actually is. Still, Mario Kart is still fun, especially with lots of players.

Necronopticous
08-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Mario Kart DS
Tetris DS
Osu! Tatake! Ouendan
Metroid Prime Hunters
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Nintendogs
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Final Fantasy III DS
Elite Beat Agents
Children of Mana
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

The list just goes on and on. At this point there is pretty much no reason not to get a Nintendo DS.

Rye
08-10-2006, 10:16 PM
For me, the DS is fun, but I wouldn't get it without getting Wi-Fi as well. My favourite thing to do on the DS is play my friends on Wi-Fi, so yeah. :)

Cookie
08-10-2006, 10:22 PM
OK throw me some costs please.

Cloudstrife4003
08-10-2006, 10:31 PM
130 bucks for ds

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-10-2006, 10:31 PM
A DS or DS Lite is $130 American. Games tend to go for around $35 each. The USB Connector needed for online play (unless you've got a wireless router) is also $35.

Shlup
08-11-2006, 07:36 AM
I got Big Brain Academy, Brain Age, Nintendogs, Super Princess Peach, Trauma Center: Under the Knife, Mario Kart DS, and Tetris DS. All of which I enjoy thourally. And the DS Lite is a gorgeous little contraption.

Markus. D
08-11-2006, 11:15 AM
get dawn of sorrow, best platform/rpg on there.

Eureka
08-11-2006, 11:22 AM
dont get one, i got one.. im waiting for the new pokemon game, its the only series worth playing on a handheld in my opinion the gamecube games sucked :P

final fantasy 3 ds i coming out soon though.. i may get that.. and i might try animal crossing ds :P

Raebus
08-11-2006, 11:24 AM
DO get one. It's got a brilliant selection of fun games, actually it seems like he's made his mind up so the "hell no" people are talking to a brick wall.

JKTrix
08-11-2006, 01:36 PM
The 'Hell No' people are ignorant. Pick any of the games mentioned in this thread (except Animal Crossing if you don't want your life sucked away), and you'll have plenty of 'series worth playing on a handheld'. As much as I respect you for being a Eureka fan, you need to open your eyes.

Generalized opinions like 'The gamecube sucks' or 'the xbox sucks' or the 'ds sucks' are plain ignorant.

Note: Definition of Ignorant before someone gets too offended:
Ignorant: Destitute of knowledge; uninstructed or uninformed; untaught; unenlightened.

Monster Hunt
08-11-2006, 01:53 PM
yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!! Get one! The quality of the screen and sound is great, it's compact, you can play game boy advance games as well. Not to mention the picto chat and the game downloading- clock&alarm clock, calendar, multiple language abilities and... THE GREAT GAMES! I've got about 7!!! I got it as soon as it came out! And now I can't live without it (<- not really but it's something like that...)

Xander
08-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Also - Zelda - Phantom Hourglass soon!! That's what I can't wait for, even though I'm bored of my other DS games at the moment :P

Znake
08-11-2006, 02:07 PM
I'd advice you to get one. I've seen places where you can get a DS with 2 games, plus accessories kit for around Ł110. And DS Lite with one game for about Ł100. Or you could wait until FFIII has been released, and get the limited edition FFIII DS Lite and game. Theres also a load of quality GBA games you can play on it, Including Final Fantasy I, II, IV and Tactics. With FFV + VI coming out soon.

Zeldy
08-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Id advice you to get a DS, They are so awesome.
Another Code is a really good game to get too, I loved that.
They're all good~
Animal Crossing has taken over my life xD

JKTrix
08-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Note: "Another Code" is "Trace Memory" in the US.
Phoenix Wright is better though *koff*

Elite Lord Sigma
08-11-2006, 08:20 PM
I declare you to be ignorant if you don't think the DS is going to do well.

But anyway, definitely get one. The games I would recommend are:

Mario Kart DS
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Animal Crossing: Wild World
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Super Mario 64 DS (if you don't plan on downloading it off the Wii)
New Super Mario Bros.
Brain Age
Tetris DS
Big Brain Academy

Some upcoming titles you may like:
Star Fox Command (Release on August 28)
Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (Release in 2007)
Elite Beat Agents (Release on November 6)
Mario Hoops 3 vs. 3 (Release on September 11)
Final Fantasy III (Release in November)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Phoenix Wright: Justice for All

Angi-Kaiser
08-11-2006, 11:36 PM
If you plan on getting a WiFi connector, or have a router, I'd sugest getting Metroid Prime: Hunters and Mario Kart DS. Both are really fun to play online, but equally as fun to play alone.

Cookie
08-12-2006, 12:17 AM
You lot have made-up my mind for me, i'm gonna go for it!

ShunNakamura
08-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Meh, currently my opinion on it is it isn't worth it for the cost.

Great games have been featured on the Nintendo hand-helds though. Depending on the person that may be enough to sway them(not me though).

Oh the other thing that may sway someone is battery life. Last I heard the battery life for the DS was pretty good. So that is also a good thing.

Still not enough to convince me though.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Great games have been featured on the Nintendo hand-helds though. Depending on the person that may be enough to sway them(not me though).What reason is there to buy a games system other than that there are great games available for it?

ShunNakamura
08-12-2006, 07:15 AM
Well if the system isn't worth and you get the games to play on something else... you get my drift.

I buy the games and then emulate them on my computer(I do check to see if Roms are available for said game first so that I don't waste my money).

I just don't see much point in the handheld systems. My lifestyle doesn't have much use for portable systems. And should I need to have a gaming device for vacation or something I always have outlets near at hand; therefor, I can just take my computer(which is far more portable then many seem to believe towers are[even to the point where some freinds are copying my computer setup for easier lan party transist]).

I am fine with supporting the makers of the game, but I don't support the consoles/systems unless I think they are worth it.

Basically you buy the games for their quality and you buy the systems for its quality(part of the factors involved is the available games, however, in the case of the handhelds it isn't enough to turn me to them). I could find better uses for the 165$ involved in the system[such as nearly doubling my CPU speed(which is the major ouchy for my computer)].

Vyk
08-12-2006, 07:20 AM
I think he's saying he's poor. Which puts the PSP way out of the picture. But that's why I got my DS used >_>

I don't have many games for it because I am a poor boy. But there are a lot of good games I want for it. The selection is awesome no matter your preference. From the sound of it Trace Memory is like old fashioned adventure games. I don't think any system has touched that genre in years. Not to mention Brain Age and its ilk. The DS is pretty much touching all the bases. I'd say its the safest bet for entertainment of any system. Console or handheld. Though its current RPG line-up leaves a lot to be desired. There's still fun everywhere you look

ShunNakamura
08-12-2006, 08:10 AM
If you are talking about me, not so much poor. It is mainly that my lifestyle doesn't demand a portable system unless it is capable of doing more then just gaming(I cost analysis everything, I am stingy what can I say). It is a lifestyle issue. I realize they are good for some(my brother for one) however, for others they are less useful. No PSP's, DS's, or other handhelds for me. I don't even like cell phones, I barely use the thing; however, it has plenty of uses that I recognize and am willing to pay for(security while one the road, incase family needs me for emergency, or I need them for emergency, etc).

For example, if I could use the DS as a cell phone on the road(in case of a breakdown or somesuch), then I would have more incentive to use it.

I don't have use for it(heck I don't really like laptops, I am a pure tower user. Trust me for as long back as memory serves I have drug my tower and monitor and all the other junk with me wherever I go. For me it isn't a real hassle, and also for me the handhelds offer little to no benifits over my current tower. The money used could be much better spent upgrading my tower in some fasion).

Endless
08-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Great games have been featured on the Nintendo hand-helds though. Depending on the person that may be enough to sway them(not me though).What reason is there to buy a games system other than that there are great games available for it?

Hype. *cough*PSP*cough*

Elite Lord Sigma
08-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Well if the system isn't worth and you get the games to play on something else... you get my drift.

I buy the games and then emulate them on my computer (I do check to see if Roms are available for said game first so that I don't waste my money).

I just don't see much point in the handheld systems. My lifestyle doesn't have much use for portable systems. And should I need to have a gaming device for vacation or something I always have outlets near at hand; therefor, I can just take my computer(which is far more portable then many seem to believe towers are[even to the point where some freinds are copying my computer setup for easier lan party transist]).

I am fine with supporting the makers of the game, but I don't support the consoles/systems unless I think they are worth it.

Basically you buy the games for their quality and you buy the systems for its quality(part of the factors involved is the available games, however, in the case of the handhelds it isn't enough to turn me to them). I could find better uses for the 165$ involved in the system[such as nearly doubling my CPU speed(which is the major ouchy for my computer)].
You do realize downloading ROMs is taking away profits from Nintendo that they could use to help make more and better games, and that it is illegal, right?

ShunNakamura
08-12-2006, 04:08 PM
I buy the games and then emulate them on my computer (I do check to see if Roms are available for said game first so that I don't waste my money).

I really don't see the issue with it if I buy the game first. I did the same thing when my playstation crapped out on me. I simply downloaded an emulator and played my games on my computer.

If I had a Nintendo Handheld cart drive in my computer I wouldn't even need the roms. But I don't know where to get such a device for my computer.

Rostum
08-13-2006, 02:53 AM
But you just said you'd check to see if ROM's were available first, so you don't waste money. That's hardly buying the game first.

ShunNakamura
08-13-2006, 04:29 AM
People have a logic test failing, I think.

Checking and downloading are TWO seperate entities. I check first so that I don't buy a game that I can't use.

Rostum
08-13-2006, 05:09 AM
I think you've completely worded your posts wrong.

Yamaneko
08-13-2006, 05:24 AM
Let's just say that if it weren't for the DS, this past year would have sucked for gamers.