PDA

View Full Version : Jump Ultimate Stars (DS)

JKTrix
08-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Link Here (http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-1u6b-71-9g-49-en-84-j-70-1d3q.html)

Any takers?

I don't know too much about it, but I know it has WiFi. Even if it's just Jump Superstars all over again with WiFi support, I'm all over it. Jump Super Stars is like the Smash Bros of the Nintendo DS, and its value would greatly increase with online multiplayer. If you don't have Jump Super Stars already (Japan Only), wait for this one (also likely to be Japan Only).

If you don't know what Jump Super Stars is, I mentioned it's like Super Smash Bros. It's like a cross between Smash Bros and Yu Gi Oh in terms of gameplay (keep reading, I'll explain), and it's pretty awesome.
Like Smash Bros, it takes some of Shonen Jump's characters (Dragonball, Black Cat, Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, Yugioh, Kenshin, etc) and let's 'em fight agains each other. The battles themselves also play very similarly to Smash Bros: multi-leveled environments and fairly simple attack execution.

To actually battle, you need a deck of characters. Each character has one or more different configurations of blocks, called 'Koma'. You can either use a pre-made deck, or one you make yourself. Every deck needs to have at least a 1-block 'Help' Koma, a 2-3 block 'Support' Koma, and a 4-7 block 'Battle' Koma. After that, you can put as many more help, support, or battle Koma on the 4x5 grid (20 squares total) that you can fit. During battle, your Koma deck is on the Touch screen, and you can summon the effects of any Koma just by touching it. If it's a help Koma, whatever effect it does will be activated when you touch it. If it's a support Koma, the same thing (often times, the 2-3 block Support Koma has the character come on screen for an attack). If it's a Battle Koma that's different than the character you're using, you'll switch to the other character.
Like any fighting game worth its salt, there is a sort of 'Rock Paper Scissors' or 'Triangle of Superiority' in the game. Every attacking character has a particular Type attributed to them: Power, Knowledge, Humour. Power does more damage to Knowledge (and less damage is done from Knowledge to Power), Knowledge beats Humour, Humour beats Power. A character like Goku and Naruto would be a 'Power' Character, Piccolo and Asakura Yoh from Shaman King are 'Knowledge', while Bobobo and a bunch of other Japan Only characters would be 'Humour'.
Another interesting feature is that certain characters will 'power up' another character if placed next to them on the Koma deck. Some of them are obvious (characters with good relationships from the same series will obviously benefit each other) like Sakura powering up Naruto. But some are not so obvious and would require some experimenting and creative thinking. I can't remember any offhand, but I'm sure there's something on Gamefaqs you can peek at.
As you progress through the main game of Jump Superstars, you will eventually unlock 3 uniqe 1-block 'help' Komas with a kanji symbol on it. The 3 kanji make up the words 'Friendship, Effort, Victory' (the basic principle of all Shonen Jump manga), and when included in your Koma Deck between 2 characters in a particular way, it unlocks some of the most spectacular attacks in the game. Any 2 battle characters it connects with will do one of their Super attacks at the same time, but some characters have special combinations for extra special combo attacks. Example, Goku and Naruto have a special attack where they stand side by side and fire their trademark attacks (Kamehameha and Rasengan) together. Yugi and Bobobo have one where Yugi pops out of Bobobo's afro and summons a Red Dragon that blasts away half the screen. Gotenks has one with Arale (from Dr. Slump, created by Akira Toriyama before Dragonball) where they stand together and shoot energy beams out of their mouth.
So, there are a lot of ways to strategize in the building of your deck, and a lot of different themes you can come up with (you can keep multiple decks). I personally have a DBZ themed deck, a deck with all girls, and my normal deck I usually use for fighting.

If you couldn't guess from all that, I really love this game. Enough to spend the last half hour or so goofing off from work to type this. This new game, Jump Ultimate Stars, can probably add even *more* playable characters, and with the WiFi support I will probably be playing this game forever.
Here we'll have another DS killer app with little possibility of ever being localized. The different manga of Shonen Jump are actually licensed to several different companies in the US, and many of them have never even made it to the US. This creates a huge roadblock for any chance of this game coming out in English. However, once this is available to enough people and Gamefaqs starts rolling out some guides (trust me, you'll need it to unlock 90% of the stuff if you don't know Japanese), you'll be able to fully enjoy what it has to offer.