PDA

View Full Version : I GOT A VISA CARD TODAY! =D

Avarice-ness
08-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Okay, so like Yeah I've had other credit cards, like Department stores, best buy, all that good stuff. So I applied for a Visa card when I was opening my bank account up. And and and, it got accepted as normal because I have great credit because I'm a good kid!
And I have a really good credit limit! =DD My dad said I could go shopping, and I'm totally excited! So moral of this story kids... Pay your bills ahead of time, get good credit, get a mainstream credit card, AND THEN GO SHOPPING AS A VICTORY PRESENT! =DDDD

Hambone
08-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Yay! *does victory dance*

RyaMai
08-11-2006, 11:09 PM
SCCCOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRE.

kikimm
08-11-2006, 11:13 PM
I'll try to be happy and party with you, but credit cards scare the crap out of me, since my parents had trouble with them for years. They still do, and fight about it a lot. I know that's not really uncommon, but whatever it still makes me really nervous about getting one and using one. Sometimes it's hard to be a good kid! Especially when no one knows that they're doing.

Miriel
08-11-2006, 11:14 PM
I've had a Visa card since I was... 17? I think it was 17. I dunno how my credit is though, I've never checked since checking it often isn't a good thing. I'd like another credit card though since people tell me it's good to have at least 2 major cards to build up your credit.

Avarice-ness
08-11-2006, 11:15 PM
I'll try to be happy and party with you, but credit cards scare the crap out of me, since my parents had trouble with them for years. They still do, and fight about it a lot. I know that's not really uncommon, but whatever it still makes me really nervous about getting one and using one. Sometimes it's hard to be a good kid! Especially when no one knows that they're doing.

Yeah my parents have -bad- credit because when my dad left my mom my mom took the cards and went on a max out shopping spree and her name was on the cards. xD I'm to paranoid to max them out or even get close to that, I'm just excited because I'm going to buy a scanner maybe and other stuff and then start a paying. =D

I've had a Visa card since I was... 17? I think it was 17. I dunno how my credit is though, I've never checked since checking it often isn't a good thing. I'd like another credit card though since people tell me it's good to have at least 2 major cards to build up your credit.

Yeah I built my credit with a JcPenney's card and a Best Buy card, I've also been paying on Student loans. xD

RSL
08-11-2006, 11:19 PM
I have horrible credit. I'm sure someone would give me a credit card but the limit would suck. I still should get one and use it responsibly to help restore my credit.

Eureka
08-11-2006, 11:37 PM
you realise any graphics card is capable or running vista? just because it says vista on the box doesnt make it run vista better

and erm its like the nvidia logo on some games, although the radeon x1900xtx would be the best to play any game on..

OMFG IGNORE THIS POST >.< I THOUGHT I READ VISTA..

visa card :P i got one of those big whoop

Fuego
08-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Its funny cause i was 17 i think when i got my first visa card ... i had a 300 dollar limit cause my mom was trying to look out for me <praise> ... well after i turned 21 they raised my limit to 800. i had no clue ... then i got another one with a 1000 dollar limit ... and now i am freakin out cause i can't afford to pay them off like i used to <crappy job !!!!!> any way credit rocks when you make enough to take care of it easily ... but if not ... whooo it can make you feel like hell .

StarChild
08-11-2006, 11:57 PM
I have a capital one card, which has like a 2500 limit on it, which is nice =) but I just bought a car, so now I'm in debt up to my eyeballs

Fuego
08-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Grats on your car StarChild !!!! what did you get (?)

Psychotic
08-12-2006, 12:07 AM
I have a Master Card, and I've only ever used it twice, and both times were for expensive things and therefore it was more convienient for cash.

rubah
08-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Apparently you're entitled to one free credit report a year?

My parents must have the best credit in the world. My dad and I were watching a documentary on credit cards on PBS and I asked him how much he'd paid interest on his cards since 1992 when they first got theirs, and he was like "$0".

Pay your bills when they're due kids, it'll pay off!

It was sorta interesting when I was working, seeing what kinds of people used debit cards and what kind had actual credit cards. Obviously most of the younger college age kids had debit cards, but occasionally there would be a middle aged guy with a gold card ;]

I'm very leery of buying things that I don't have teh money on hand to pay for, which I am sure will work out to be an advantage!

[edit-- It's a good idea to have two major credit cards also for the reason that while some places will accept one, other places won't take the other ;] Also, a GM mastercard builds you up a lot of money towards a GM car. When my parents and I were looking for me a car before I turned sixteen, a brand new car was a big option, because of the thousands dollars off they'd earned on their GM card. I got a used car anyways, because I found one that perfectly fitted mexD]

Miriel
08-12-2006, 01:19 AM
You can get free or very cheap credit reports at a lot of places, but the more times you get your credit checked, the worse it becomes. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but everyone tells me not to have my credit checked unless I absolutely have to.

-N-
08-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Buy me that magnetic floating bed.

Anaisa
08-12-2006, 01:22 AM
I've got a master card which I never use. An I keep getting junk mail saying "we see you haven't used your master card yet". I find the better my credit gets, the more junk mail I get. I get at least three loan offers a week at the moment, an it's starting to annoy me.

rubah
08-12-2006, 02:22 AM
You can get free or very cheap credit reports at a lot of places, but the more times you get your credit checked, the worse it becomes. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but everyone tells me not to have my credit checked unless I absolutely have to.

It seems like companies recommend you do it annually to make sure you aren't falling victim to identity theft. Maybe your everyone is trying to steal your identity :p

Tempest
08-12-2006, 02:41 AM
Credit cards are the devil. It's exciting but, just be careful with them. The last thing you want is to be in debt.

lovehurts
08-12-2006, 02:46 AM
All I have is cash , good luck with that plastic.:D

Shlup
08-12-2006, 03:10 AM
I applied for a VISA the other day when my husband and I opened a joint account at the bank. The one I already have is under my mom, so it doesn't get me any credit.

RSL
08-12-2006, 03:19 AM
You don't want to be checking your credit report every week. That will look bad. Once a year won't hurt anything, likely.

Bascially, the more times your credit report is looked at, for whatever reason, the more it will look like you are desperate for money or credit. This makes the lenders less likely to want to give you money, or credit.

I don't know if I explained that very well, but Miriel is right.

Kirobaito
08-12-2006, 03:22 AM
I have a Visa with a $600 credit limit. My parents pay it, and I only use it to pick up Peanut from the vet, where the bills were $100+.

My parents have almost perfect credit. They own about 6 credit cards, one of which has like a $20,000 credit limit.

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 04:09 AM
I have a capital one card, which has like a 2500 limit on it, which is nice =) but I just bought a car, so now I'm in debt up to my eyeballs

xD Yeah this is my first and the limit is 900.
I have alot of non mainstream credit cards but this one's the largest 'cept for my Best Buy because it had a 1000$ limit. xD

I know all about credit so you guys don't have to worry. The reason I have such a high starters limit is because I normally pay my bills off a month early, even my dad said he knew I could handle a 900 dollar limit. =D

I have a Visa with a $600 credit limit. My parents pay it, and I only use it to pick up Peanut from the vet, where the bills were $100+.

My parents have almost perfect credit. They own about 6 credit cards, one of which has like a $20,000 credit limit.

Yeah when my parents were together my dad said they had basically an unlimited limit, but that's prolly 'cause we had a heck of alot of money when I was growing up, My uncles credit is so good he gets the penthouse when he goes to ceasers palace and has no limits at the craps tables. xD I'm just afraid of not having any money, which is always a good way to have credit because I constantly pay on them.

bipper
08-12-2006, 04:51 AM
Congratulations - you are not contributing to one of the dirtiest and robust monopolies. One that makes Micro$oft look like the red cross.

:) Congrats though! Just be careful and be adament about paying your bills. Credit cards, like cell phones [etc] actually base thier buisness model on having people fail. They like failures.

Myself? I refuse credit. Minus that of a Car payment and a house payment, I really see credit as a bad economic tool designed make the rich richer at the expence of our children. Damn it greed...

Bipper

Mirage
08-12-2006, 04:56 AM
My Visa is debit. I can't use more than what I have. It's reassuring.

Avarice-ness
08-12-2006, 05:41 AM
Damn it greed...

Bipper

Huh? What'd I do? OHHH You mean the sin.

Yeah see, I come from one of those families that gain from... economical issues. My family built themselves on the Oil Field since my grandfather, so really the higher the gas prices the more money we make. =D? We're not really 'rich' any more though, My dad got out of the oil business when the crash in the 90's hit and now we're all getting back into it, seeing my family go bankrupt is why I'm -very- careful with my credit, I have 4 bills I pay on right now and I pay them way ahead of time.
Although... I'm going to go on a shopping spree this weekend. My dad was laughing at me and was all "I remember when I abused my first credit card" and then was all "Please, -PLEASE- be gentle with it, don't go buying 300 things in a day." which makes me laugh because like my familys freaking out because all though I can handle the money, which they know, they also know I like to buy big things! Like.... AN X-BOX 360! My dad said I could have one as long as I paid half in cash and half with credit. *spins*

starseeker
08-12-2006, 09:45 AM
I can get a debit card when I'm 16, and them I can go internet shoppping and won't have to explain things to my dad. (3 more weeks).

Endless
08-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Eww, credit. Debit ftw :p
I have a Visa too, for international purchases (Amazon, traveling) and stores consider it a credit card, but for all intent and purposes, my account gets debited a couple days after the purchase.

Xander
08-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I don't use credit cards, seems silly to me spending money you don't have.. I love my debit card for buying stuff online and probably spend too much sometimes but always seem to have enough at the moment for what I need so, it's ok! Couldn't live without being able to buy stuff online though xD

Loony BoB
08-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Congratulations on getting a card that will in the end cause you many stressful months as you try to pay off your immense debt.

:(

Breine
08-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Congrats :) It hasn't been that long since I got mine either so I understand the excitement - getting a Visa card comes with a certain type of freedom like the sudden opportunity to buy stuff on the internet... Very thrilling ;)

Peegee
08-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Getting loans is dependent on your salary, unless you have terrible credit like russel.

Raistlin
08-12-2006, 04:39 PM
You don't want to be checking your credit report every week. That will look bad. Once a year won't hurt anything, likely.

Bascially, the more times your credit report is looked at, for whatever reason, the more it will look like you are desperate for money or credit. This makes the lenders less likely to want to give you money, or credit.
RSL is correct. You shouldn't look at your credit report much - I'd reccomend not even once a year. Getting your credit checked a lot actually hurts your credit a bit, and it also makes lenders more wary. So yeah, basically, don't check it yourself if at all possible, and just get it run when you need to (when you're looking to borrow money).

My mom is an accountant and I used to work at a used car dealership where I ran credit reports on people, so I've learned a bit about them.

Having a credit card is a good way to build credit, though. And a credit/debit combo card (like a Visa check card) doesn't help to build credit, even if it can be used like a credit card.

Leeza
08-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Congratulations on getting a card that will in the end cause you many stressful months as you try to pay off your immense debt.

:(
Only if you overspend. I think I have almost every credit card available, some with over a $10,000 limit, but I pay them off every month. If you can't do that, they you shouldn't use your cards because the interest they charge will kill you.