PDA

View Full Version : Adam Sessler and Jack Thompson have a little chat.

KentaRawr!
08-11-2006, 11:08 PM
http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/blog/AOTB/index.html#629146

Or, if that doesn't load for you, try this: http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/index.html . Once you are at that site, look for the picture of the ugly dude with the paste-on beard.

Adam made a few good points, but Jack was so desperate to change the subject, there was a very restraining time limit, and there was that other guy who took up the best of the time. u_u

What do you guys think of this?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-11-2006, 11:13 PM
I think it's a disgrace that they're still acknowledging Jack Thompson's existence. Not that the people behind G4 ever appear to have any idea what they're doing.

KentaRawr!
08-11-2006, 11:19 PM
While I agree with you Kishi, many people still do despise Jack Thompson and take things he has done months ago as recent. Jack Thompson, as sad as it is, is still on people's minds. So having a debate between Adam Sessler and Jack Thompson would sound like a thing they can't miss to many people. While the video itself is rather disappointing, a title along the lines of "Jack Thompson vs Adam Sessler" will attract many people.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-11-2006, 11:23 PM
I have no doubts that the debate was cultivated with a "ratings good" mentality, with little or no thought given to the repercussions of continuing to lend credence to a dogmatic psychopath.

Dreddz
08-11-2006, 11:30 PM
In all honesty, Jack Thompson is probably right....

Shoeberto
08-11-2006, 11:33 PM
I have no doubts that the debate was cultivated with a "ratings good" mentality, with little or no thought given to the repercussions of continuing to lend credence to a dogmatic psychopath.
Are you talking about Sessler or Thompson here? It really goes either way.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Intentional vagueness is kind of this thing I do.

MecaKane
08-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Adam Sessler used the same argument the itchy and scratchy guy used in that old episode of The Simpsons where Marge tried to get the violence out of Itchy and Scratchy. :eek:
Something about the Crusades going on hundreds of years before cartoons were invented.

Reeno the Alchemist
08-12-2006, 01:14 AM
dude i watched that yesturday adam kicked totall arse i wis they woulda let him argue more!Adam would win without even trying!

Sephex
08-12-2006, 02:20 AM
Are you talking about Sessler or Thompson here? It really goes either way.

No skulls. That made me laugh quite hard.

Hambone
08-12-2006, 02:36 AM
Jack Thompson's a jerk. That's really all I have to say. Don't kill me.

Markus. D
08-12-2006, 04:07 AM
hah!

Adam pwned.

you know he did.

Morgan pwned... oh wait.... shes not on there ;_;

I want g4tv :D!

ljkkjlcm9
08-12-2006, 04:30 AM
look no matter what research or studies they show, look at the youth crime rates. As games have gotten more violent, youth crime and violence has decreased. THAT'S a FACT.

I don't know about you, but when I do bad on a test I love having my games back home so I can go shoot the head of a zombie or something. It's far better than punching a wall or some kid's face, wouldn't you agree?

THE JACKEL

I Took the Red Pill
08-12-2006, 04:36 AM
Sudoku gets me in more of a violent rage than Halo. Thompson's an idiot.

Sylvie
08-12-2006, 04:49 AM
I want g4tv !

No, you don't.

LunarWeaver
08-12-2006, 05:01 AM
The ESRB rating system is the most efficient of them all in my opinion. Games are rated for a reason. Thompson always acts like all games are rated E for everyone and any 9 year old can waltz and buy whatever he wants. If a kiddie gets his hands on Resident Evil 4 then an adult gave it to them. If a game is rated M, that mean you basically have to be an adult to play it. If you can't handle violent images by the time you're 17, if a violent image literally makes you pick up a gun and kill another human being (he doesn't seem to consider the gravity of what that actually says about a person's mental state of being), the problem isn't games people, the problem runs much deeper than that.

Of course, we all know that...As gamers, none of us have tried to dive off a building and summon Valefor or shoot somebody with a shotgun, I'm sure. It's not really any more of an immitatable art than what's on T.V. or movies or what-not. If Thompson really wants a country where the goverment only lets you see exactly what they want and nothing else is allowed to touch your eyes, then he should just hop on a plane and fly to a country where the government controls everything. I'm sure he'll like it plenty. :)

The books schools allow students to read are worse than games are anyway. Lord of the Flies is about a bunch of evil little preteen bastards with spears. Shakespeare has two teenagers committing suicide... But I guess books are OK now that the literature debate has ended... And now rock n' roll is OK... Now comic books don't warp your mind anymore either... These things just get replaced and replaced and never end. It's human nature to blame everything on everything but what it needs to be blamed on.

Adam arguing with him about it doesn't do much. Both of them are just shouting nonsense at each other when neither is remotely persuadable on the subject. Kind of like me typing this entire post was pointless :lol:

Markus. D
08-12-2006, 05:51 AM
I want g4tv !

No, you don't.

no... I dont.... I do want X-Play with Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb.

BatChao
08-12-2006, 08:56 AM
I think that guy in the middle from Game Daily was much more calm and collected than Adam Sessler... Sessler was too busy shouting and trying to argue, but that Game Daily guy was calm and still made some good points. Shoulda just been him and Thompson.

Vyk
08-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Too nerve-grating. I couldn't watch more than about two minutes. So annoying. All of them. Sessler couldn't even talk. Calm down dude..

Griff
08-12-2006, 03:54 PM
look no matter what research or studies they show, look at the youth crime rates. As games have gotten more violent, youth crime and violence has decreased. THAT'S a FACT.

I don't know about you, but when I do bad on a test I love having my games back home so I can go shoot the head of a zombie or something. It's far better than punching a wall or some kid's face, wouldn't you agree?

THE JACKAL

Amen to that brother.

Giga Guess
08-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I love his creative editing. "There is a direct relation between violent games and violent bahvior."

Going out on a limb here, would a violent person not seek out violent themes? (Paraphrased from the interview.)

Jessweeee♪
08-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Look. If a kid buys GTA and starts killing people because of that he had problems to begin with. They are just as likely to pick up this behavior from television, or even school. It's up to parents to keep certain games away from their children, and for the kids themselves to have a little self control.

If anything they can keep us sane. I like to pop in GTA and blow up everything I can with a tank instead of bullying other kids at school.

Moon Rabbits
08-15-2006, 04:35 AM
Here's what I got out of that interview:

Lot's of yelling.

The guy from Game Daily: GO TO GAMEDAILY LOL!

Adam Sessler: YELL!

Jack Thompson: YELL ALSO!

Seriously. The only valid point I got out of that whole interview was when Adam said "Violent people seek out violent images", which I think is true.

On a lighter note, in the end when you can here Jack yelling "KEVIN KEVIN KEVIN!" as Kevin Perrera(sp?) is ending the interview is priceless.

:( I missed my satellite because I used to love TechTV, but if this is what it's become I no longer want it.

Jessweeee♪
08-15-2006, 05:39 PM
I thought that dude seemed like an ass even before I saw this :/

Shiny
08-15-2006, 09:46 PM
This was not a very good debate. Jack and Adam kept interrupting eachother immaturly, which is what one can expect from these two people. There really shouldn't even be a debate about this. It's pretty evident that Jack has no clue and he refuses to take responsbility as a said parent. He needs to read the labels on the game instead of agruing the fact that there is violence in them. If a game is violent and contains certain suggestive things it will say it on the cover.

Ryth
08-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Kishi said everything I wanted to, anything else is horribly obvious and has been said so many times before it's redunant and a waste of time, let alone effort.

lawl Takestar.