PDA

View Full Version : Why so Many People Thought that Kuja was a Girl?

The Crystal
08-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Why so Many People Thought that Kuja was a Girl? I never understanded this.
In Burmecia, before the FMV, when Kuja appeared for the first time:
"Mystery MAN: I find this rain quite pleasant...
Mystery MAN: It feels as though the raindrops are blessing our victory..."

Then, after a little time:
"Freya: That sinister MAN... Who is he?"

After this, during the game, the characters allways refer to him as a "HE"!
Now, can someone explain to me, how many people thought that he was a girl? They simplly ignored all the dialogues of the game, or they just like to bash the guy?

PS: Moderators of this forum, please, don't move this thread to the FFIX forums. I really want to read the answers of EVERYONE on this site, not just the answers of the FFIX fans.

YTDN
08-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Because he looks like one.

Vyk
08-12-2006, 11:36 AM
I always seen him as a dude... Even before it was official. He just has that transvestite air about him. He's male. But I wouldn't say he's a man :]

Roto13
08-12-2006, 04:40 PM
He's a tranny. He had his naughty bits chopped off long ago.

The Crystal
08-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Yuffie the Dragon Ninja: "Because he looks like one."

So, i have to presume that you just ignored all the dialogues of the game.

daggertrepe
08-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Well, so does Zidane, but we don't call him a girl...

Xurts
08-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Because some of the people who played this game are sexually confused. If you thought Kuja was a girl then you have some problems.

YTDN
08-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Yuffie the Dragon Ninja: "Because he looks like one."

So, i have to presume that you just ignored all the dialogues of the game.

Hey, I wasn't being serious. And that's not my opinion. Personally, I think he is a man, because he is. But he does look like a woman in the first FMV of him and the Trance Kuja FMV.

auhin
08-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Hahaha, Kuja... I always thought he was kinda funny to talk about. Yes, he's obviously a boy who snuck into his mother's closet and put on some immodest clothing. Aw well, it just makes IX much more interesting.
I love this game and its quirkiness...

Zeromus_X
08-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I've always wondered about that. His choice of clothing makes it all the more obvious he's a male.

scooby
08-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Hahaha, Kuja... I always thought he was kinda funny to talk about. Yes, he's obviously a boy who snuck into his mother's closet and put on some immodest clothing.....Except...Kuja doesn't have a mother (or a father, for that matter - unless you count Garland). He was artificially created - inside a big tube.

auhin
08-12-2006, 06:46 PM
It was a joke. :p Anyway, Kuja is still cooler than Sephironi and cheese. Kuja has an awesome theme and he's just a better character. Even if he has an ambigous gender.

Christmas
08-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Because little kids nowadays cannot tell the difference between a male and a female.

Toodleena
08-12-2006, 08:18 PM
I think it was his makeup... and his face in general. Too feminine. And he wears purple and silver shiney stuff O_o
But I've always thought he was a he.

licence
08-13-2006, 12:51 AM
If you think he is a female, I would hate to see you on a night out....

Eminem's_No.1_Fan
08-13-2006, 12:56 AM
In FF5 They call Freya he all the until you find out he's a she (that part's so funny btw) you cant allways trust the text

Twilight Edge
08-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Hair-girly
face-ya get what I mean
body-a thong with kimono sleeves,super smooth skin and sexy waistline
legs-tight hips

Fianl verdict-A TRANS.

Thorn
08-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Alot of people dont like Kuja, so when making their defense theyll say.

"Hes a fricken girl"

I doubt many actually thought he was a girl. Like you said "Mysteryman" is pretty hard to ignore, when your desperately curious what this characters' name is.

Ill admitt that he looks like a girl, but hes an awsome villian, and my second favourite. (Seymour first)

No.78
08-13-2006, 11:25 AM
I never mistook him for a girl, he has no breasts, and his face isn't that feminine really. And oh yeah, he is referred to as a he loads. He's actually my faviroute FF villain.

I Am Stoner
08-13-2006, 11:29 AM

Quite fucking true!!:D

boys from the dwarf
08-13-2006, 03:40 PM
this is just a thread about bashing kuja. kuja is a man. he has all of the features and everything and there is absolutely no doubt that he is a man. and he's my favourite FF villain as well. i agree with what christmas said. its just some sort of childish insult.

Lilliputian Hitcher
08-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Because people are really, really stupid.

Rinöa
08-13-2006, 06:43 PM
It is obvious he's a man. People who hate him just act stupid.

Master Vivi
08-13-2006, 11:35 PM
im not saying he was a girl... but he act'd like a girl alot in the game, and it looked like he was wearing a "thong" at one point? something like that... and he wore a dress.

scooby
08-14-2006, 12:04 AM
im not saying he was a girl... but he act'd like a girl alot in the game, and it looked like he was wearing a "thong" at one point? something like that... and he wore a dress. He doesn't "act like a girl". Men wear thongs, too (in fact, the male thong has been around much longer than it's female counterpart). He doesn't wear a dress.

How many more threads like this...?

The Crystal
08-14-2006, 02:43 AM
I agree that Kuja look like a girl, but the problem are the DIALOGUES. I already heard many people saying "i thought that he was a girl during half of the game" or " i thought that he was a girl until the end of disc 3", and i don't understand. To me, if they say(many times) that he is a guy in the game, then, he is a guy.
So, how someone that played the game(and don't skiped the dialogues) can think that he is a girl? This is what i want to know. But i think that i discovered the answer now. They are just bashing Kuja. Is the only logical explanation.

G SpOtZ
08-14-2006, 03:03 AM
Before I saw any dialogue in the game, I thought he was a she, then once the dialogue said he was infact a he, I was surprised, but took in the information for what it is. He does indeed look like a girl, and dresses like one, and acts feminine like one, but we all know he's a girl. Some people (including myself) like to bash Kuja and call him a girl, just because he looks like it and and I don't like him. It's not as though I've mistaken his gender (besides the first time I saw him, with no dialogue), I know that he's a dude but I just like calling him a girl because he might as well be, from his appearance.

LunarWeaver
08-14-2006, 03:08 AM
Yes, they are just bashing him for his looks, I doubt many are literally confused about his gender. Because if he really IS a transvestite that's reeeally something to make fun him for :cat: Maybe we can get a villain in a wheelchair so I can see threads called "Lawl he can't walk he suxxorz where's sephiroth." People find the strangest things insult-worthy :erm:

boys from the dwarf
08-14-2006, 10:28 AM
and whos to say what he wears is wrong? hes on a different planet in an imaginary universe. who knows what the fashion sense is like there?

Quindiana Jones
08-14-2006, 11:59 AM
It's not wrong here. It's just revealing.

Kuja's always obviously been a bloke to me, even before the dialogue. He's a wee bit feminine, yeah, but that's no reason to assume he's a woman.

Elemental Alchemist
08-19-2006, 06:56 AM
Even if he was somewhat feminine, he was an awesome villian comparable to others like seymour and sephiroth. And he made his own fashion statement, one that caused even more impact than Seymour's fashion statement.

DarkLadyNyara
08-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Kuja is more androgynous than feminine. He does not have a female facial structure, for one. Granted, he looks like a chick from behind, but that's mainly due to his hips. I think that guys just don't want to admit that they find a male attractive. :D

Quindiana Jones
08-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Yes. That's clearly the reason we think he looks like a girl. It's not the constant playing with hair or the feminine clothing...:D

Takara
08-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Granted, he looks like a chick from behind, but that's mainly due to his hips.

If you only look at his hips, my boyfriend looks like a chick from behind too. It's kinda funny.

But yeah, after seeing the first FMV, I thought Kuja was female too and was certain Square messed up when they called him Mystery Man. Then I looked at the FMV again, and saw that he was either a very flat-chested woman, or he just was a man with large hips. The latter was more plausible. >_>

ValkyrieWing
08-28-2006, 07:07 AM
He did sashay when he walked, though.

Heero Yuy NWZC
08-30-2006, 02:11 AM
It's all in the clothes and hair. His body gestures and all kind of sealed the deal, but I didn't think there was a doubt that he was male. Besides, Genomes are genderless to begin with, but Kuja and Zidane were made special so they don't count...which kind of makes this sentecne pointless. Anyways, there are many reasons that would hint him to be feminine but all in all he's male.

DarkLadyNyara
08-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Besides, Genomes are genderless to begin with,

Not true. One of the genomes states in-game that "asexual beings would lack the genetic diversity to adapt to new enviroments."

Crossblades
08-30-2006, 03:36 PM

Exactly. I always thought he was a girl until I purchased the game. I was surprised O_o

Heero Yuy NWZC
08-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Besides, Genomes are genderless to begin with,

Not true. One of the genomes states in-game that "asexual beings would lack the genetic diversity to adapt to new enviroments."

'Tis true, but they are lifeless vessels until the souls of the terrans occupy the bodies. They are not asexual but not able to produce life either.

'Gilgamesh'
08-30-2006, 06:25 PM
I instantly knew Kuja was a guy. My friend on the other hand just saw the first cinematic with him.

Friend: "Wow she's hot"

Me: "........"

Fantasy Fan
08-31-2006, 01:45 AM
Why so Many People Thought that Kuja was a Girl? I never understanded this.
In Burmecia, before the FMV, when Kuja appeared for the first time:
"Mystery MAN: I find this rain quite pleasant...
Mystery MAN: It feels as though the raindrops are blessing our victory..."

Then, after a little time:
"Freya: That sinister MAN... Who is he?"

After this, during the game, the characters allways refer to him as a "HE"!
Now, can someone explain to me, how many people thought that he was a girl? They simplly ignored all the dialogues of the game, or they just like to bash the guy?

PS: Moderators of this forum, please, don't move this thread to the FFIX forums. I really want to read the answers of EVERYONE on this site, not just the answers of the FFIX fans.This is why:

Fan boy 1: OMG Kuja is t3h sex
Fan boy 2: He's a man
Fan boy 1: Ermm, I thought he was a girl. :o

TehAnima
08-31-2006, 08:07 AM
I thought he was a girl for the longest time and to tell you the truth I would have liked him more as a girl. I thought he was going to be a badass female villan until I found out he was a guy....:eep:

Bolivar
09-01-2006, 08:11 PM
As most, I thought he was a girl and was shocked when the game referred to him as a man, but it wasn't a problem to adapt, I just look at him as the "Prince" of FF villains.

I still don't get why he wore that /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif though, that's straight feminine.

Yuffie514
09-02-2006, 10:30 AM
it was already clear to me that he is a guy. others were much more difficult to tell apart (and pursay - more etiquette with their flavor of attire and make-up), such as Shou from Tenchu: Fatal Shadows/Kurenai...

~*Yumi*~
09-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Kuja is a man and that's that. I mean, almost all dudes from video games in Japan look like girls anyway. So assume if it looks like a girl, it's a boy. XD And hey, this is my first post here...and it's about Kuja! How fun~

Forsaken Lover
09-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Well, they either:

a. Don't think he is but use it as a slander against him or
b. Have tremendously poor eyesight because I am legally blind and could both see the dialogue was stating him a male and his face is not feminine at all. He has long hair, good hips and a thong. Thongs are very attractive on attractive human beings be they male or female. Besides, male or female, he be the best villain in FF history.

"Farewell my sweet, lovable morons."

Black_Mage_Hiyasha
09-16-2006, 07:06 PM
I liked Kuja. He wasn't mentally insane like Sephiroth. but i didn't like the thong. good god man, put some pants on!

Ashley Schovitz
09-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Everyone's just bashing him of course, and no one ever remembers the sorcerrer from Chrono Trigger that even the main characters were surprised that it was a male.

Jimma
09-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Kuja looks like a sexualy confused man. He is a good villian but he acts girly. Yeah i never mistook him for a man and OHBOY i feel soz 4 da peeps who did.

Thane
09-23-2006, 06:17 PM
I heard that Kuja was originally a woman. And in the Jap version Kuja was actually a chick but they decided to change Kuja to a dude. That's what I heard from someone(Or somewhere).

Mirage
09-23-2006, 06:33 PM
He's a tranny. He had his naughty bits chopped off long ago.

There's still a bulge in his thong :p.

DarkLadyNyara
09-23-2006, 09:15 PM
I heard that Kuja was originally a woman. And in the Jap version Kuja was actually a chick but they decided to change Kuja to a dude. That's what I heard from someone(Or somewhere).

Um, no. Kuja may be effeminate, but you can still tell he's male. That rumor has been pretty well discredited.

The Crystal
09-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Um, no. Kuja may be effeminate, but you can still tell he's male. That rumor has been pretty well discredited.

Yeah, if you think well, the americans are allways censoring everything. They change dialogues of animes and games all the time, to hide that some characters are gay or lesbians(Michiru and Haruka being cousins, for example) or to hide some offenses("Son of a submarine" when the correct translation is "Son of a b**ch"). So, why the hell they would turn a normal woman in a gay man? This don't make any sense.

DarkLadyNyara
09-25-2006, 10:49 PM
So, why the hell they would turn a normal woman in a gay man? This don't make any sense.

Kuja is also not gay. The only person he ever shows attraction towards is Garnet.

Rinöa
09-26-2006, 01:49 AM
So, why the hell they would turn a normal woman in a gay man? This don't make any sense.

Kuja is also not gay. The only person he ever shows attraction towards is Garnet.
Which is why if I were her, I would be scared, not because people say he's creepy, because I just don't like the way he looks. I'm not making fun of him.

RiseToFall
09-26-2006, 06:03 AM
Oh, I don't know, could have something to do with the thong that he's wearing.
http://encyclopedia.quickseek.com/images/Kuja.JPG

~SapphireStar~
09-26-2006, 09:18 AM

Tainted Angel
09-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Alot of people dont like Kuja, so when making their defense theyll say.

"Hes a fricken girl"

I doubt many actually thought he was a girl. Like you said "Mysteryman" is pretty hard to ignore, when your desperately curious what this characters' name is.

Ill admitt that he looks like a girl, but hes an awsome villian, and my second favourite. (Seymour first)

Because of where the game came from we assumed any nonknown character would be called a 'he'?

Breine
10-01-2006, 12:46 PM
I remember thinking he was female as well. It must've been the long hair, the womanly figure and most importantly the thong. I soon learned that he was a "man", though :P

XandrewX
10-01-2006, 04:48 PM
His hair his clothes and his body shapes tells me all that he looks like a she...

LoKuS
10-01-2006, 07:06 PM
I'd hit it.

NMK
10-05-2006, 11:55 PM
As far as I can remember I've always seen him as a MAN and not a female, why people think he's a girl? come on, stupid question, 1. he wears a thong 2. he does look like a girl, in some way

My_car_is_faster_than_you
10-06-2006, 09:30 AM
I didn't know what to think of him. All I knew was that I was disgusted.

Laddy
10-08-2006, 09:12 PM
OK, we have Michael Jackson in our prized series! :)

The Crystal
10-08-2006, 10:20 PM
As far as I can remember I've always seen him as a MAN and not a female, why people think he's a girl? come on, stupid question, 1. he wears a thong 2. he does look like a girl, in some way

In the first time that he appear, he is refered as "Mistery MAN" and everyone say the word "he" when they are talking about him.
That means that my question is not stupid. That means that anyone who thought that he was a girl, is stupid. Or just say it, to bash the character, and this is stupid too.

MJN SEIFER
10-11-2006, 07:39 PM
I reckon that (Like me) say saw pictures of him before playing the game, So assumed it was a woman.

That was dilerbarate though. The inteview I saw on FFIX decribed Kuja as a "Binshjuon" (Sp?) which is a common term used in anime's - it is japanese for a tranny.

DarkLadyNyara
10-11-2006, 08:53 PM
That was dilerbarate though. The inteview I saw on FFIX decribed Kuja as a "Binshjuon" (Sp?) which is a common term used in anime's - it is japanese for a tranny.
*sigh*
Bishonen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishonen) does not mean a tranny. Just have to get that out there.

MJN SEIFER
10-11-2006, 10:26 PM
MY mistake.

raknarock
10-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Sometimes Kuja likes a girl & sometimes likes a boy , but i think Kuja is a girl because Kuja same like a girl

DarkLadyNyara
10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Sometimes Kuja likes a girl & sometimes likes a boy , but i think Kuja is a girl because Kuja same like a girl

And in english...? :confused:

10-Breaker
10-20-2006, 11:20 AM
I thought he was transexual.

'eMeRaLdFaYe'
10-31-2006, 05:37 PM
The first time I saw *him*, I knew he was a guy. And I was quite surprised that other people who played the game or saw *him* in an image thought that *he* is a *she*. He was just another pretty boy. ^^

~eMeRaLdFaYe~

vivi"s son#7
11-05-2006, 10:44 PM
OK, we have Michael Jackson in our prized series! :)

LOL!!!

cloud21zidane16
11-07-2006, 11:01 PM
[quote=RedXIII13;1928880]OK, we have Michael Jackson in our prized series! :)

haha lol

kuja is clearly a man but like 10-breaker i thought he was transexual when i first saw him:smash:

Peter_20
11-09-2006, 11:21 AM
He's a transvestite.
And I understand him, I am too! :thumb:

It's pretty cool to have transvestites in video games, really; esepcially in an FF game. :cool:

The Crystal
11-10-2006, 01:51 AM
He's a transvestite.

I don't think that he is a transvestite. In the past, people(principally the nobles) wear very weird clothes(comparing with today), and some of them could be considered transvestites if they lived in the present.
To me, Kuja is just a eccentric noble man.

DarkLadyNyara
11-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Kuja is not a transvestite. He is not trying to look like a woman.

RiseToFall
11-10-2006, 04:59 AM

Okay, he's a hermaphrodite then. Does that make you happy?

DarkLadyNyara
11-10-2006, 05:15 AM

Okay, he's a hermaphrodite then. Does that make you happy?

No, because that isn't accurate either. :rolleyes2

Fire_Emblem776
11-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Kuja likes to dress pretty.

Darth Cid
11-10-2006, 07:17 PM
When Kuja first came on, I got confused, his appearence was feminine so he looked like a girl. I did a double take when the dialogue involving him introduced as him as a guy, so I thought, "Um, well maybe that's why a rich guy dresses on Gaia." It could also be his way of hiding his tail. I like Kuja as a villain, a well dveloped character, but sometimes I have to make some inside humor. Like here's a sample if I ever get my spoof session started.

Kuja: "Never would I have imagined running into you in a place like this. It must be fate. But you cannot rest your wings yet... Fly home to your mother, my little canary. *screen fades to black* I, too, will welcome you home with open arms."

The original translation of this piece of conversation was, "I'm going to say I have a crush on the lead female to prove to my fellow FF villains, appearence doesn't define sexual-orientation."

Well, so does Zidane, but we don't call him a girl...

Um, no. Zidane looked like a guy. He was dressed like a guy. He looked like David Bowie every now and then, but it can't be near as bad as Mr. Meg Ryan one game later.

Zidane Ultimate
11-13-2006, 10:50 PM
I didn't actually think he was a girl, I just thought he was very effeminate, I guess it was rather amusing hearing others think he was a girl. He is pretty though.

VengefulRonin
11-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Kuja has always been my favorite FF villian, probably always will be. His character is fairly complex, and apparently so is his appearance since a million of these topics are alway posted on boards. It IS pretty obvious to tell he's a man just because all the dialogue calls him a man...and he has no breasts. xD So what he wears funny clothes? It doesnt make him a tranny, nor a hermaphrodite (and that suggestion is stupid anyway, we'd have to strip him down just to tell if he was one).

Kuja's also obviously quite comfortable with his body, since he shows it off, and why shouldnt he be comfortable with it? He's an effeminate male, he has softer and prettier features than someone like say, steiner, does. So really, i think that he would actually look out of place in something more "manly" or whatever ya wanna call it.

Forsaken Lover
11-21-2006, 11:59 PM

You mean "Bishounen" or "Bishōnen " and it does n't mean tranny. It means "beautiful boy." It is a popular Japanese art form dating back quite a long time. I really have no love for anything Japanese except games and bishy artwork. Their history is kinda...stupid. And their rock seriously needs to listen to more Iron Maiden and get some talent.

Anyway, I never thought he was a guy. And I have an eye condition. So, I never got why no one else could see it. This was further compounded when i showed 2 girls a picture of him *they had never seen him before) and they fully agreed he was definitely a man. The face, again, is distinctly a man.

The whole "Kuja is a girl" BS was started by people trying to slander him. Also, I have nothing against trannies (they can be sexy even) but Kuja is not a tranny. he does not wear a bra. Or act like a girl. His Thongs can be worn by any gender obviously and the lower garment is just to hide his tail. The feathers might even be part of his head as they stay on and change after he goes into Trance.

VengefulRonin
11-22-2006, 01:55 AM
Originally bespoken by Forsaken Lover:

Their history is kinda...stupid. And their rock seriously needs to listen to more Iron Maiden and get some talent.

WTFH....if you werent defending Kuja... *eye twitches*

Anyway, yes, what he said is good. If kuja was a tranny, he'd be in a bra and most likely have makeup on as well. He doesnt talk girly either, he talks like a rich snob.

Frankly, i like what he's wearing, but for all you insecure people who are made uncomfortable and cant tolerate what he wears, consider this: he never really had anyone to teach him about fashion. All he had to learn from were the Genomes and Garland, so considering what he lived with, i think he did pretty well.

Forsaken Lover
11-22-2006, 02:10 AM
Well, come on. Dir En Grey is better than Iron Miaden? Black Sabbath? What guitarist do they have that matches with Randy Rhoads, Eddie Van Halen, Dimebag Darrell? Drummer that matches with Dave Lombardo, Neil Peart? I didn't think so.

And Feudal Japan was all about having massive armies kill each other for 2 inches of land. There was no rhyme or real reason for half ot eh wars and battles that took place then.

And samurais and ninjas ae cooler in animes than they ever were in real life. Most Samurai simply abused their position, no better than a modern day politician except they had a sword.

BUt yes, Kuja rules. Very, very sexy man.

Firo Volondé
11-22-2006, 02:53 AM
Kuja wore an attire of effeminate nature to reflect his deeply narcissistic and self-admiring personality.

Translation: He dressed like a girl because he's conceited and is in love with himself.

VengefulRonin
11-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Originally bespoken by blitz_king10:

Translation: He dressed like a girl because he's conceited and is in love with himself.

Um...DUH...

Ya know, i wonder just why people make such a big deal about kuja being femme? Does it threaten the american perception of what a male is? Face it, thats the way japanese are, they like femme guys. Its in their music, their games, and especially in their anime. But ya know what? I never hear people whining about their anime or music, so why always the "omfg, is kuja gay?!" threads?