PDA

View Full Version : Ripping off a PSX cd?

Dee
09-12-2001, 10:06 PM
Is there any way you could get the music files on the PSX cd and convert them to mp3 format?

Dr Unne
09-13-2001, 01:09 AM
http://www.zophar.net/utilities/psxutil.html might have something useful.

Dee
09-13-2001, 09:39 PM
Alrighty, thanks! I'll try them.

Dee
09-21-2001, 03:50 AM
Need help again. I downloaded Psmplay and XA2WAV, and I put in a Xenogears CD but it can't find the XA files needed to convert.

I also tried using an ISO program and the two only files it found were both under 1 meg.

I put in FFVII in the ISO program and it read every single file from pictures to FMVs.

So is the problem the Xenogears and not the other programs?

crono_logical
09-21-2001, 11:55 AM
Maybe the CD's protected so the drive can't read any further than those files? Just a guess. You could try copying the CD or creating an image to your HD, if that doesn't work, then it almost certainly is protected in some way.

Squally Leonharty
09-21-2001, 02:53 PM
If you use PSMPlay, you'll have to analyze the CD (File --> Analyze CD), which will look for <b>all</b> supported files and display them. Then you're able to convert them (*.str, *.xa, *.mov, *.seq, *.tim and some others are supported :D)

Dee
10-10-2001, 12:16 AM
OK, cool, but could you give me a run down on those files? All I know is that .xa is a music file, but what's the rest? .str, .vag, .tim, .vab, and .seq.

And is there some sort of help document with PSMPlay, because I'm at a total loss here.

Now that I open up the Selector, there's 4 columns. The first three looks like a bunch of random numbers and the last is the file extension (I think).

I have no clue what to do! Help!

Dee
10-10-2001, 12:43 AM
ARGH! Now I have an even worser problem. I open PSmplay, but nothing comes out except the PSmplay on my bottom taskbar. I click on it and nothing happens. >< What's going on?

Squally Leonharty
10-10-2001, 08:51 AM
Heh, that has happened to me too.

Just rightclick the taskbar and choose "Move" or something like that. Then press the Up-arrow on your keyboard and move your mouse. You'll see it again. ;)

As for the extensions:
.str is a movie file (.xa is also a movie file, like in FF7)
.tim is a picture file.
.seq is a movie file.
.mov is a movie file.

And for the others (.vag and .vab), I have no clue, but I think they're encoded music files.

As for the Selector:
After you've obtained the Analyze data, open it and you'll see the Selector. Right click it and then choose "Add all [file] to Playlist". [file] can be .str, .xa and .tim (the most supported files). Then you can press Play to view/listen to the files.

If there are other types of files in the selector, just select that file and rightclick it, then press "Add to Playlist" and you'll be able to view/listen to that file.

That's all you need to know about PSMPlay. ;)

Dee
10-10-2001, 11:26 PM
Whoa. THANKS! I got really pissed when I couldn't open it, and you figured it out!! You're <i>awesome</i>, Squally!

Weird thing is, I can only find picture and movie files, but no music files. Does that happen to you?

Squally Leonharty
10-11-2001, 11:10 AM
Yup, PSMPlay can't find music files (or maybe it can, but only with very very old games, since they're poorly coded) The new games have (strong) encoded music, so that PSMPlay can't recognize them. You'll need another program to listen to music, but I don't know if it exists.

And thanks for the compliment. :)

Dee
10-11-2001, 10:46 PM
Ah, darn. I wanted some music. Looks like I need to find another program.

Squally Leonharty
10-12-2001, 08:48 AM
As Dr. Unne mentioned in his first post here, you can try this: http://www.zophar.net/utilities/psxutil.html

Maybe you'll find something there.

DMKA
05-02-2005, 05:32 PM
I've yet to find a program that can read more than a handful of audio tracks off PSX CDs. I suppose that's what soundtracks are for. =/

Leeza
05-02-2005, 06:02 PM
This is a good thread, but please do not revive one that is 4 years old! I thought that Dee and Dr Unne were back and posting! :(