PDA

View Full Version : Under-Rated Games that Really Rocked

Cruise Control
08-12-2006, 04:39 PM
I think there a few games that got terrible reveiws that are totally awesome. Which is your favorite. Chromehounds

Cruise Control ^_^
08-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Red Faction

Roto13
08-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I think Beyond Good & Evil deserved more attention.

KentaRawr!
08-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy 7. >_>...

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles was very good in my eyes, but not a Final Fantasy game. It deserved more attention. >_<

Sylvie
08-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Tactics Ogre, deffinately. Brilliant game.

Cruise Control ^_^
08-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy 7He said under-rated games that rocked, not over-rated games that obtained mediocrity but are considered the best games ever.

Madame Adequate
08-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Red Faction

Red Faction got bad reviews? First I've heard of it.

Legend of Dragoon is somewhat underrated. Not hugely, but somewhat.

Tavrobel
08-12-2006, 05:04 PM
I think that the Advance Wars games are underrated. Great games, but little to no hype as far as the media goes.

Lilliputian Hitcher
08-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Xenosaga Episode II is one of the most interesting, original cRPGs I've ever played. Why it has such a bad reputation is beyond me.

I blame those crazy Xenogears fans, of course.

Dreddz
08-12-2006, 06:03 PM
The original Dark Cloud, the second one got very good reviews but i still say its underrated.

JaytodaP
08-12-2006, 06:19 PM
resident evil 4 got good reviews, but needs more attention. I dont think it got much awards or at least it shoulda got a lot more.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-12-2006, 06:44 PM
The gaming community has been consistently gushing about Resident Evil 4 since the day it was released.

Shoeberto
08-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Clive Barker's Undying seemed pretty well overlooked for as quality of a game as it was. Looks like Clive's getting back into games, though, with Jericho coming out. It's looking pretty cool, from the... three shots that've been released.

JaytodaP
08-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Ok. Its just I didnt see it on the video game awards or maybe I missed it....

The Punisher was definatly good and hilarious, but I think it got sucky ratings, so yeah, I will go with that. It wasnt anything excellent and not on my top ten, but it was still really cool for the week i rented it.

LunarWeaver
08-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Xenosaga isn't exactly underground or anything but it's still underrated. If only Square-Enix had gotten on the box so it could have sold three times as much :cry:

Moon Rabbits
08-12-2006, 07:10 PM
I think Beyond Good & Evil deserved more attention.

Yes. But we can buy it for 87 cents at Wal-Mart now because it got so little recognition. :D

Clive Barker's Undying seemed pretty well overlooked for as quality of a game as it was. Looks like Clive's getting back into games, though, with Jericho coming out. It's looking pretty cool, from the... three shots that've been released.

Undying was excellent.

I think Syberia is under-rated. Sure, it one adventure game of the year from about five different magazines and got really good reviews, but adventure games in general are usually overlooked and Syberia has one of the best storylines ever. Ever. EVER.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
08-12-2006, 07:11 PM
resident evil 4 got good reviews, but needs more attention. I dont think it got much awards or at least it shoulda got a lot more.

didnt tht get game of the year:p

Rengori
08-12-2006, 07:19 PM
I think that the Advance Wars games are underrated. Great games, but little to no hype as far as the media goes.
You are officially awesome.

Lionx
08-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Klonoa, no english commercial, and i didnt hear of him like really.
Advance Wars, same imo.
and UN Squadron.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-12-2006, 10:24 PM
The Bard's Tale and Zone of the Enders II: the Second Runner

chaos_ghost
08-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie for Sega Genesis. That game was side scrolling gold. I suggest it for any PR fan. Another one was X Men Mutant Academy 2 for Playstation.

Nominus Experse
08-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Zone of the Enders II: Second Runner seems far too underground considering its gameplay value

That and the original Blaster Master

:sophia:

Erdrick Holmes
08-12-2006, 11:31 PM
Suikoden II

Vyk
08-12-2006, 11:49 PM
I agree about Beyond Good and Evil, though I dunno if underrated is the term. Its more a sleeper hit. Its not like it doesn't get credit it deserves. I think almost everyone that's played it adored it. Just that not many people have played it.

And uh... Xenosaga II being Xenogears' fault? I haven't played Xenosaga II, because I didn't find Xenosaga I all that fun. Because yes, I'm a Xenogears fan. And Xenosaga didn't hold a candle to Xenogears, so I wasn't interested in its sequal. But is it actually Xenogears fault that the Xenosaga games stumbled so badly? I would blame the Xenosaga games themselves (or better, their creators) for dropping the ball. People like those games, and in my humble opinion I think they get all the credit they deserve, as sub-par as I think they are :] though maybe people like the Saga games more if they never played Gears

Speaking of which, I would put Xenogears in the same category as Beyond Good and Evil. Didn't get much disclosure, but those that play it usually seem to love it, or at least find a certain amount of respect for it.

I will say the Shining Force series (excluding anything released in the past few years) is underrated (those may be underrated too, but I personally hate the new ones). Tactical RPGs with easy simple fun, no overly complex and convoluted calculations to determine your attack. You just situate your people and attack. You don't get raped for forgetting a cruicial part of a calculation that has nothing to do with gaming. I hated FFT for that. Differences in males and females and when they were born and what direction they were facing and how high they were standing and gah! Way too much thought put into a simple attack.

Shiny
08-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy 7He said under-rated games that rocked, not over-rated games that obtained mediocrity but are considered the best games ever.
Someone obviously doesn't detect a hint a sarcasm. But anyway, eventhough I didn't really enjoy it I thought Dark Cloud could have gotten a bit more attention then it did.

Auragaea
08-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Ephemeral Fantasia

Shion Strife
08-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Xenosaga isn't exactly underground or anything but it's still underrated. If only Square-Enix had gotten on the box so it could have sold three times as much :cry:

DAMN STRAGIHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XENOSAGA IS THE GREATEST GAME SERIES EVAR!!!!!! ANYONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE CAN GO EAT A PINECONE!!!!!!:choc2:

licence
08-13-2006, 12:23 AM
I agree with the Red Faction games and Beyond Good and Evil.

3 great games.

The Last Ancient
08-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Breath of Fire IV - It was such an originial game in some aspects, some real great characters, a few great songs, and the rest good ones. It is also a lot better then 3 which was great for a while then completely lost it's way into endless puzzles.

Shadow Hearts - Everyone raved about Covenant which I thought was not half as good as the first Shadow Hearts. I don't understand what people had against this game, its fantastic and very originial, and I personally enjoyed the battle system. Koudelka is also an amazing game with horrendous gameplay, but very good characters.

The Arc the Lad series - I love this series and it's not talked about enough. The first one is very short but sweet, and the second one is a classic imo. The third one is incredibly tedious, but it still has it's moments. I loved Twilight, and obviously like most hated end of darkness.

The Bouncer - faced the same problem that BOF Dragon Quarter faced, a pretty solid story with good characters that was just rushed to much. The combat is a joke but I still find some charm it it.

The Drakengard series - The first one was a little too weird at times for my taste(la la la la la, for example) but again had it's moments. The second one I enjoyed a lot, the gameplay not great, but a good story.

Final Fantasy V - Everyone says it has fantastic gameplay, with boring story. I enjoyed the story and the gameplay, much more then IV, and at times more then VI.

Shion Strife
08-13-2006, 12:41 AM

I agree about Beyond Good and Evil, though I dunno if underrated is the term. Its more a sleeper hit. Its not like it doesn't get credit it deserves. I think almost everyone that's played it adored it. Just that not many people have played it.

And uh... Xenosaga II being Xenogears' fault? I haven't played Xenosaga II, because I didn't find Xenosaga I all that fun. Because yes, I'm a Xenogears fan. And Xenosaga didn't hold a candle to Xenogears, so I wasn't interested in its sequal. But is it actually Xenogears fault that the Xenosaga games stumbled so badly? I would blame the Xenosaga games themselves (or better, their creators) for dropping the ball. People like those games, and in my humble opinion I think they get all the credit they deserve, as sub-par as I think they are :] though maybe people like the Saga games more if they never played Gears

Speaking of which, I would put Xenogears in the same category as Beyond Good and Evil. Didn't get much disclosure, but those that play it usually seem to love it, or at least find a certain amount of respect for it.

I will say the Shining Force series (excluding anything released in the past few years) is underrated (those may be underrated too, but I personally hate the new ones). Tactical RPGs with easy simple fun, no overly complex and convoluted calculations to determine your attack. You just situate your people and attack. You don't get raped for forgetting a cruicial part of a calculation that has nothing to do with gaming. I hated FFT for that. Differences in males and females and when they were born and what direction they were facing and how high they were standing and gah! Way too much thought put into a simple attack.

XENOSAGA ISNT XENOGEARS!!!!!! DAMNIT WHY THE HELL WONT PPL STOP COMPARING THEM!!!! XENOGEARS ROXWS FOR SOME REASONS AND SAGA ROX FOR OTHER!!!!:choc2: :choc: :moomba:

LunarWeaver
08-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Zone of the Enders II: Second Runner seems far too underground considering its gameplay value

Wow, how could I forget about Zone of the Enders! Z.O.E. II especially is just amazing. I can't believe it didn't gain more popularity. Here's to wishing for a III :cat:

Markus. D
08-13-2006, 01:01 AM
Final Fantasy X-2 + Last Mission.

Drakengard Series - 1 was bizzare and probably the most unique story anyone had ever been traumatized to (lalalalala wasnt the only part that gave me nightmares), very worth going through the gameplay (even though I enjoyed that to), and 2 was truly underrrrrated, truly.

Final Fantasy XI + Expansions - those who dont agree with this are my examples success, so dont bother paying it out.

Psychotic
08-13-2006, 01:04 AM
Future Cop: LAPD. Pure awesomeness in gaming form.

Markus. D
08-13-2006, 01:05 AM
!!!! I remember that game Psy!

you were in those frog robot looking things! and you got to shoot stuff!

auhin
08-13-2006, 01:07 AM
StarTropics, especially Zoda's Revenge. Both for NES.

Slothy
08-13-2006, 02:00 AM

Wow, how could I forget about Zone of the Enders! Z.O.E. II especially is just amazing. I can't believe it didn't gain more popularity. Here's to wishing for a III :cat:

The good news is Kojima has said he'd like to see a third ZOE made. The bad news is, there isn't onw currently under development, so who knows how long it will be if it gets made at all. I'd definitely put the second high on my list though. The first had it's problems though, and though I love the game, I think it received as much attention as it deserved. I'm sure plenty of people played it who might not have otherwise because A: it was one of the best PS2 games available at the time, and B: it came with the MGS2 demo.

I'll also agree with Beyond Good and Evil and the Red Faction series. Red Faction in particular, since even though I think the first one did reasonably well, the second seemed to slip in right under the radar. Even though I loved the first game, even I never picked up the second one, despite seeing some pretty good reviews as I recall. I'll have to try and track down a copy sometime.

I'll also end this long post by adding Mystical Ninja: starring Goemon for the N64. This is one of the wackiest games I've ever played, and despite it's flaws, stands as my favourite game on the system. Shocking perhaps, but it was just so much fun. I always loved the song that played when the giant robot showed up.

Rye
08-13-2006, 02:02 AM
Pokemon Snap. :)

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
08-13-2006, 02:14 AM

Oh wow, I loved that game. It was my obbsession for about 2 weeks, so so long ago. Until my controller brokeded ;____;

Madame Adequate
08-13-2006, 02:57 AM
Syndicate Wars.

Dignified Pauper
08-13-2006, 03:45 AM

I 100% agree

Dragon Quest VII, well really all Dragon Quest games.

Earthbound - nothing more should be said

oh and the lufia series on SNES were pretty rockin'

Lilliputian Hitcher
08-13-2006, 05:44 AM
Isn't Dragon Quest the most popular cRPG series in Japan?

Rengori
08-13-2006, 05:48 AM

Oh wow, I loved that game. It was my obbsession for about 2 weeks, so so long ago.
Same here but I had to give it back to Blockbuster.

Rostum
08-13-2006, 05:53 AM
Jumping Jack!

Raven Nox
08-13-2006, 05:54 AM

I remember those games. They were pretty fun.

Yeah, I guess that's my answer then. xD Though Baten Kaitos doesn't seem to be that well known, and I think that game is great.

-N-
08-13-2006, 06:00 AM
Whoever said Tactics Ogre (I forgot in reading the other posts) is my hero.

I Took the Red Pill
08-13-2006, 06:04 AM
Skullmonkeys.

ShunNakamura
08-13-2006, 06:31 AM
Future Cop: LAPD. Pure awesomeness in gaming form.

I loved playing it with my brother. Quite and addicting game.

GhandiOwnsYou
08-13-2006, 08:22 AM
My god, I thought everyone had forgotten about startropics. Yo Yo as a weapon? instant badass.

Aside from that? Joshua, for NES. one of those Wisdom Tree "hammer you with the bible" games, but my god, the gameplay. 99 levels of freaking addiction.

Markus. D
08-13-2006, 08:24 AM

^-^

that game was Sooooooooo fun back in the day, capturing a pic of mew really bugged me.

chaos_ghost
08-13-2006, 10:42 AM

Aw man, I feel so dumb for forgetting about that one! I never finished because I had to give it back. I also forgot to mention Wild Arms 3.

Maxico
08-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Timesplitters.

Madame Adequate
08-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Timesplitters.

That's not remotely under-rated, it's just not as well-known as it ought to be. But those who have played it universally credit it with being as awesome as it is.

Moon Rabbits
08-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Timesplitters.

That's not remotely under-rated, it's just not as well-known as it ought to be. But those who have played it universally credit it with being as awesome as it is.

I bought that game a little while after I got my PS2. I didn't find it particularily outstanding.

Duncan
08-13-2006, 05:24 PM
I've always been a fan of the Settlers games. From what I understand they do well in Europe, but not so good here in NA. Kind of a bummer as that means we miss out on some of the expansion packs and such.

No One Lives Forever is quite possibly one of my favorite shooters ever made, yet no one seems to remember it. Great story, great gameplay, and the subtle (and not-so-subtle) humor made that a fantastic game.

Cloudstrife4003
08-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Island boy..for the nes! and cartridge 52! with 52 original fun games inside...haven't played it in a long.. time..

Madame Adequate
08-13-2006, 07:19 PM
I bought that game a little while after I got my PS2. I didn't find it particularily outstanding.

You fail at good taste.

Slothy
08-13-2006, 07:53 PM

You fail at good taste.

Not really. I bought the original when it first came out, and frankly aside from the speed the game ran at, it wasn't very impressive. The build-a-level thing didn't have enough variety to stay interesting for as long as it should, and the single player was boring. Multiplayer was fast and fun, but before long I found myself back to playing old favourites like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark due to the greater variety they provided. For all the hype the game had as the next FPS from the Goldeneye team, it didn't live up to it very well. Later entries in the series were vast improvements though, and I'd certainly say qualify as underrated.

Madame Adequate
08-13-2006, 07:56 PM

You fail at good taste.

Not really. I bought the original when it first came out, and frankly aside from the speed the game ran at, it wasn't very impressive. The build-a-level thing didn't have enough variety to stay interesting for as long as it should, and the single player was boring. Multiplayer was fast and fun, but before long I found myself back to playing old favourites like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark due to the greater variety they provided. For all the hype the game had as the next FPS from the Goldeneye team, it didn't live up to it very well. Later entries in the series were vast improvements though, and I'd certainly say qualify as underrated.

Fair enough, if you like the second two. Honestly though, the first one was half the reason I got a PS2 (The other half being Dynasty Warriors 2), because it was such an awesome game IMO. Yes, Goldeneye and PD are freaking awesome, and have much better single-player, but TS was a good bit of solid, simple, hardcore gaming.

LunarWeaver
08-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Somebody mentioned Baten Kaitos, and that's for sure. I'm also gonna give Killer 7 a deserved name drop.

Griff
08-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Samurai Legend Musashi and Vandal Hearts 2 both didn't get the attention they deserved. And most critics didn't like them either.

f f freak
08-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Ephemeral Phantasia
I have to agree. That game was freakin' awesome but there was never that much hype about it.

YTDN
08-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Beyond Good & Evil. It was short and sweet, had a nice story, great missions, and it was fun for me. Except in the slaughterhouse mission with those damn guards that always saw you just as you were going through the door on the other side of the room.

Chibi Youkai
08-14-2006, 01:51 AM
Ephemeral Phantasia
I have to agree. That game was freakin' awesome but there was never that much hype about it.

I thought the game was horrible, and it's battle system was monotonus.

The very origional Grandia was a good, and definately underrated. Especially when you look at it's descendents.

Madame Adequate
08-14-2006, 02:20 AM
Alundra.

licence
08-14-2006, 02:47 AM
Skullmonkeys.

Lol I stil have that game. It was a good game for its time me thinks. But I was quite young and easily entertained back then.

Sephex
08-14-2006, 03:13 AM
Although it got positive feedback from critics, EarthBound (Mother 2 in Japan) is a game that I veiw as being underrated. First of all, to me, EarthBound represents when Nintendo started to localize games PERFECTLY (mainly talking about the game script). The script is still one of my favorite RPG scripts of all time. This is the only RPG I will play where I go out of my way to talk to most of the NPCs every single time I play through the game. The difficulty is perfectly balanced, too. It may appear to be a difficult game at first, or a game where you have to level grind in order to have some sense of control. However, some of the most intense and "close call" RPG battles I have ever been in came from this beautiful game.

I guess what drove people away from it were it's graphics. They were very simple, but very few people got that it was stylistic choise of the game designers. This game was released around the time where SNES classic RPGs such as FFVI and Chrono Trigger marched out of the gate with stunning visuals at the time, so gamers didn't go for the basic, cartoon-like graphics that EarthBound presented.

Not only does it piss me off becuase so many gamers passed on the game due to the fact that EarthBound wasn't a visual powerhouse, but it irks me that Nintendo is afraid to release ANYTHING EarthBound related in America because EarthBound didn't live up to Nintendo's sales projections. That and Nintendo threw a HUGE advertsing campaign at the US though Nintendo Power. Hell, the game CAME WITH THE STRATEGY GUIDE.

Mother 3 came out in Japan sometime in April for the GBA, and there is no word of it coming to America at all (and after reading the review in PLAY magazine, I am REALLY ****ING PISSED that it probably won't be making it here). Mother 1+2--a compilation of the unrelased-in-America NES original and EarthBound in all its glory--for the GBA didn't make it over here, either.

My only hope is a rumor that there is some sort of EarthBound compilation coming to the DS as seen in EGM. Will this mean they are giving us Mother 1+2 with touch screen functionality? Maybe Mother 3 will head over here on the DS instead of the GBA for unforseen reason? Or will Nintendo decide to take a huge gamble on the EarthBound series in America by releasing all three games on one tiny DS cart? If something like that happened, I would be unbelievably happy.

Thorn
08-14-2006, 06:19 AM

For sure

The most overated game is Halo.

Yeargdribble
08-16-2006, 08:30 PM
System Shock 2 was a brilliant game, but almost nobody has even heard of it. It's quite scary and, I think it was actually ahead of its time in some aspects. Everyone seems to think the PDA thing is so cool in Doom3 but the exact same thing was in SS2 many many years before.

Deus Ex is another game that, while more popular than SS2, really didn't blow up the way it should've. The storyline, depth, and quasi-non-linearity were great in this game. I also enjoyed the RPG elements added and enjoyed the fact that you could play the game the way you wanted to play it, as there were many ways to do most things.

Ishin Ookami
08-16-2006, 09:05 PM
I've always felt that the Zone of the Enders series got utterly shafted due to the first one being seen as a pretty packaging for the MGS2 demo. ZOE 1 was good most of the times, with flashes of greatness and ZOE 2 was pure gaming gold as far as I'm concerned. Everytime I hear someone talk about ZOE 1 as being a free game for the MGS2 demo, I want to punch them in throat for shafting such a great series, that in some ways is even more fun then MGS.

Fatal Frame is another dreadfully underrated series. Scary then Resident Evil or Silent Hill and posessing some brilliantly freaky storytelling at times, I wish this series could get the recognition it deserves.

There is also a poorly marketed game called Sky Gunner for PS2. It's one of a kind with a great aerial combat engine that makes it seem like ace combat meets pokemon. Very distinctive, intense, and fun without falling into the pitfall of being too (gritty" or "dark" like alot of titles do these days.

And personlaly, I love the Tenchu series. It seems to have a Star Trek thing going on where only the even numbered ones have good storytelling, but the gameplay is always fun and intense. alot more stealthy then MGS and more intuitive and fun then splinter cell.

And while we are on the topic, does anyone remember games like Chakan: The Forever man and Ecco the Dolphin for the Genesis? Whoo, good times.

The Hubsta
08-17-2006, 12:16 AM
Anyone who has actually played it will disagree with me but...
I think Dynasty Warriors 4 is amazing.

Chibi Youkai
08-17-2006, 02:39 AM
There is also a poorly marketed game called Sky Gunner for PS2. It's one of a kind with a great aerial combat engine that makes it seem like ace combat meets pokemon. Very distinctive, intense, and fun without falling into the pitfall of being too (gritty" or "dark" like alot of titles do these days.

Sky Gunner rocks. It's one of the few games I play that's not an rpg.

I know it was mentioned earlier somewhere, but Shadow Hearts definately needs more recognition. the battle system is unique, and while it's old, it had some great things in it that are missing in many of today's games.

StarlightAngel
08-17-2006, 02:44 AM
Survival Kids seems pretty fun in a simple way. Though I've yet to beat it, and am getting worried I won't be able to figure stuff out fast enough before I inevitably die some death having to do with either a wild animal, a natural disaster, or that monkey that is currently my "friend". Heck, I might even just collapse from hunger/dehydration/fatigue.

And yet it is still addictive o.o

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-17-2006, 02:58 AM
Mother 3 came out in Japan sometime in April for the GBA, and there is no word of it coming to America at all (and after reading the review in PLAY magazine, I am REALLY ****ING PISSED that it probably won't be making it here).http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/mother3s001.png

Mr. Graves
08-17-2006, 03:47 AM
The Bouncer - faced the same problem that BOF Dragon Quarter faced, a pretty solid story with good characters that was just rushed to much. The combat is a joke but I still find some charm it it.

Final Fantasy V - Everyone says it has fantastic gameplay, with boring story. I enjoyed the story and the gameplay, much more then IV, and at times more then VI.

The Bouncer was a little too generic for my liking. It was indeed too rushed. I totally agree with you on FFV. It has a perfect Job system, and leveling can be a good distraction from the story, which isn't the most exciting but good to follow nonetheless.

I think one game that fits the bill is Flashback: The Quest For Identity. Although it had a sub-par sequel (Fade To Black), this game didn't receive quite the praise it deserved when it was released to the Genesis in 1993. It had revolutionary sprite movement for the time, and had a great sci-fi story with great gameplay. It'll probably always be a pure classic to me.

stuffing
08-17-2006, 04:10 AM
its gotta be either skull monkeys or Jedi: outcast for me

Odaisé Gaelach
08-17-2006, 12:34 PM
System Shock 2 was released around the same time as Half-Life, so while it was almost (if not) as good as Half-Life, it was completely and absolutely overshadowed.

Today though System Shock 2 has a huge fanbase, so at least it wasn't completely overlooked. :)

Dell
08-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Suikoden Series. All of them have good story (Except for Suikoden IV), sad story.... and I like the True Rune: *See the symbol in my sig* Soul Eater....

Yeargdribble
08-17-2006, 06:22 PM
System Shock 2 was released around the same time as Half-Life, so while it was almost (if not) as good as Half-Life, it was completely and absolutely overshadowed.

Today though System Shock 2 has a huge fanbase, so at least it wasn't completely overlooked. :)

Yeah, SS2 suffered the same fate as SS1. SS1 was above and beyond Doom 1 but was released just shortly after and had bad marketing. SS2 got killed by HL and bad marketing again.

The thing that sucks the most is that the rights are split up and Looking Glass is split up so a remake or re-release will likely never happen. The large fanbase is somewhat underground.

aquatius
08-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Onimusha Tactics Advance+Suikoden 2 (Which I rented but the disc crashed after a certain point so I could never complete it :( )

Madame Adequate
08-17-2006, 07:30 PM
I think one game that fits the bill is Flashback: The Quest For Identity. Although it had a sub-par sequel (Fade To Black), this game didn't receive quite the praise it deserved when it was released to the Genesis in 1993. It had revolutionary sprite movement for the time, and had a great sci-fi story with great gameplay. It'll probably always be a pure classic to me.

Fade to Black was pretty fun, but making a sequel that can equal something as good as Flashback is pretty much a no-go. Doesn't happen. Flashback is one of the best games in history, and regularly makes my top 5/10 lists.

Edit: Suikoden games are so clearly underrated as to make mentioning it a joke. They're not underrated "This is a good game, you should play it" kind of underrated, they're so underrated that the only comparison I can think of is it's like if Citizen Kane and Casablanca were considered 4-star movies worth catching if it's convenient. Suikoden II = best game ever.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-17-2006, 08:17 PM
The thing that sucks the most is that the rights are split up and Looking Glass is split up so a remake or re-release will likely never happen. The large fanbase is somewhat underground.

Some people say that that's a good thing, because now there will never be an unworthy sequel. I dunno. A third would be great, but SHODAN is still scary enough in the first two. :)

The Last Ancient
08-17-2006, 08:18 PM
The longest journey series is fantastic and underated. Psychonauts is the most originial, funny game I ever played and doesn't get enough respect.

Shiny
08-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Psychonauts is the most originial, funny game I ever played and doesn't get enough respect.
Nah, that game got alot of praise. Although I agree with you. It does seem like a great game.

PhoenixAsh
08-17-2006, 08:44 PM
I doubt I'll get much agreement for either of these but...

Enter the Matrix: Alright it had some horrible platform and collision problems, but the hand to hand fighting was damn fun. It was simple, but you could make some very cool looking fight sequences. Plus, despite being horrifically under-developed (to the extent that a lot of people didn't even know it had one), the multiplayer could actually be a lot of fun. It isn't amazing, but it gets slated when there is actually quite a lot of fun to be had from it.

The Grand Theft Auto series... Yes I know, underrated is a stupid word to use generally, but among gamers it gets a hell of a lot of stick that it doesn't deserve. I don't know if its because its so popular, or because a lot of people who play it just cheat the hell out of it, but the 3D games were exceptional in terms of scale and variety of things to do. Sure there are flaws, and I can even see how the main story mode would get annoying, but at the end of the day the games repeatedly pushed the boundary of how much you could expect from a game. I don't like the games because they let you commit crimes and such (I'd have preferred to be a good guy), I like them because you can do so much, and so much of it is fun.

JaytodaP
08-18-2006, 02:40 AM
Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick.

Roto13
08-18-2006, 02:44 AM
Enter the Matrix was on the list of the highest selling games since 2000, despite the fact that it's half-finished crap. It's not underrated at all. It's actually one of the most overrated games in the history of the universe.

And hand-to-hand combat was fun for about 10 seconds. Then it started repeating.

UltimaMasamune
08-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Lufia 2 : one of the best games i have played in my life and it had very good reveiws sadly it doesn't have alot of fans
Dark Cloud 2 : a very good ActionRPG fun and adictive and like Lufia 2 almost no fans
Radiata Stories : sure the story wasn't that good but it was the funniest game I have played in my life and there is 150+ character for you to recruit
Atelier Iris : a fun game that is underated because its "ZOMG 2D"
Tales of Legendia : a long game with a lot of replay value and a lot of character development

ValkyrieWing
08-28-2006, 07:02 AM
Alundra.

HOLY CRAP, YES! XD

I'd have to say the entire Suikoden series...except maybe 4.

Nominus Experse
08-28-2006, 07:30 AM
My girlfriend exposed me to many things, and one of these such things was Alundra. God, she must have regretted doing that, but my god, was I happy man to have my hands on a gem I had not known about until five months ago.

Oh, and who could ever forget FFVII? I mean, come on, it doesn't have any spin-offs, a fanboyism-plague follwing in its wake... It just came and went. What a shame...

~SapphireStar~
08-28-2006, 10:40 AM
Shadow Hearts, Beyond Good and Evil and also the Legend of Legaia series.

ValkyrieWing
08-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Legend of Legaia, YES! COMPLETELY underated.

I concur that Alundra was amazing, depressing and very difficult to play. :P

Fun as all heck, though.

Slicksword45
08-29-2006, 01:06 AM
Raystorm. best. Ps1. game. ever.

(Execpt for FFIX =p)

Clouded Sky
09-03-2006, 07:34 AM

When I have friends over and we're bored, we can't help but beat the crap out of each other with this game. (Though sometimes I find it more fun to use Kaldea, transform, and hide behing the piano, then knocking people down stairs.)

Another game, which may have gotten praise, but I'm not sure, as it was before my day/inaccessible until recently, Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I can't believe I sink valuable chunks of time running around with my brother throwing plates at zombies!