PDA

View Full Version : Ruby without KOTR?

cap
08-12-2006, 08:08 PM
i was wondering if ruby could be fought without using some clever materia combo involving mime and kotr or similiar. in fact without any summon materia at all. because i don't like watching the animations :P (well i'll give you phoenix). anyone superleveled up and pumped full of sources done this? just curious. and too lazy to level up myself to find out.

Aralith
08-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, KOTR is actually what you want to stay away from with Ruby. Every time you cast it he'll counter with Ultima. It sucks. The best way to start things off is to make sure two of your characters are dead when you enter the battle. This way Ruby will bury his arms immediately and won't remove one of your characters from the battle. Hades works extremely well against Ruby so make sure you do that. Keep fighting with that character until he dies.

Make sure that they are equipped with the Final Attack-Phoenix materia combo. Then all three of your characters are revived. What you should do with the other two characters is put a 100% Cover materia on them. And then equip like 14 mastered counters. That way, every time Ruby attacks someone, one of them covers and then counters 14 times! That's the best way to take him down. But you have to be a pretty high level to. Somewhere in the 80's or 90's I'd say.

Zeromus_X
08-12-2006, 08:21 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oY6GmikQtTM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oY6GmikQtTM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QJWPI5Ticwc
http://youtube.com/watch?v=h0yzcxY0pkE
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ECxKvrW6KqI

Those are just my favorites.

Sheezus, stupid 'omg hax' people.

Here's an entire listing:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=ruby+weapon&search=Search

Edit: Someday, I'll get a video capture card. And someday, I'll take down Ruby WEAPON with Kitten Sith! Someday...

*resets for slots again*

Xurts
08-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Ruby might actually be easier without KOTR. Since you could just Mime Omnislash instead.

Aralith, Ultima is nothing. Just have Master Summon linked to HP Absorb, and then KOTR linked with MP Absorb or something.

Ruby didn't bury his arms when I fought him. He used Whirlsand and took out the two dead characters, and I had to use KOTR on him before he put his tentacles down there.

Zeromus_X
08-12-2006, 08:44 PM
With Mystile, Ultima usually misses me, and I never do the Source-stat-whoring.

Aralith
08-12-2006, 08:51 PM
He didn't bury his arms for you Xurts? That's weird. He did it for me immediately. As long as I went into the battle with both characters dead. It worked every time for me. That's weird. And by the way, I did it without the Master Summon matera, so that made it a little harder. You know, my HP went down severaly while my MP went up. Because I had 2 summons attached to Tifa, whom I kept alive for the battle at the beginning. So Ultima did quite a bit of damage to me when I tried using KOTR the first few times I fought Ruby.

Ryushikaze
08-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Yes. It is merely time consuming. I like Quadra- Master Summon, HP Absorb-Master Summon, W-Summon, Counter-Mime. Or just Quadra-Hades, Knights-HP absorb if you do not have Master Summons.

No Ultima, because Ruby will be paralyzed every damn time you cast Knights. Then just wait til Ruby moves again before miming it again.

boys from the dwarf
08-13-2006, 11:18 AM
i watched the first yuffie VS ruby weapon battle and noticed she attacked 8 times in a row. is that something to do with counter materia? is it possible to counter 8 times?

Thorn
08-13-2006, 02:19 PM
I can't even beat Ruby WITH KOTR. (I'm not one of those losers who pretend they can)

Zeromus_X
08-13-2006, 03:07 PM
I might as well link to this guy's whole profile. Yuffie-witten!! :heart:

http://youtube.com/profile?user=Ultimaxweapon

Sefie1999AD
08-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Weapons do pathetic damage against Ruby Weapon. Omnislash did about 200 damage with each hit after I had given Cloud like 6-10 Hero Drinks. If you don't want to use KotR, Cait Sith's limit break (for instant win) or Lucky 7's, I'd suggest using Hades (to stun Ruby) and Bahamut Zero, and then miming them. Even that will take a long time, and if watching KotR will get you bored, watching these summons 799,999 / 9999 = 80.007, i.e. 81 times, will be plain horrible.

Peter_20
08-13-2006, 06:25 PM
I always use Knights of Round while fighting Ruby Weapon.
This is the trick:

Knights of Round=HP Absorb
Mime=Counter
W-Sum.
HP Plus

ARMOUR:
Fire=Elemental

This is a plain ingenious Materia combo.
Therefore, it's instant win; you can't die!

Zechs
08-13-2006, 09:37 PM
I usually kill two members, then engage him. He can be status affected. Dark, slow, stun. And I think one or two more. But change his status to those and keep him stuned. Revive your members, use hero drinks (yes they do help if you physicaly hit him) or magic. Mime limit helps, mime magic or summon helps two.

Zeromus_X
08-13-2006, 09:43 PM
I belive Stop is the only status effect that affects Ruby, ciw.

cap
08-14-2006, 09:48 PM
Ah. Okay, I guess i shoulda pointed out that I'm not exactly interested in defeating Ruby. I've done it before by w-summoning Hades and Kotr. What I mean is has anyone beat him without relying on something like that? How strong would you have to be to take reasonable damage off him? I think my party is aroung lv. 70 and while staying alive wasn't too difficult the only reasonable damage I could take off him was by using the enemy skill pandora's box, cause it ignores enemies defence. (I guess Cait Sith's Limits would work too).
Or should I just accept that it just not meant to be done this way?

sephirothishere
08-14-2006, 10:50 PM
set the ATB to wait so that when you cast summons the long sequences dont waste the time he is stopped....then knights of the round mime.....omnislash mime.......knights of the round hp absorb....whatever anyways....i had a materia combo that made me absorb ultima.....i think it was KOTR and elemental in my armour...i cant remember...i am playing through the game again though as i speak and have not reached the point where you can fight ruby so i will do it as soon as i can......but the last time i played through it i didnt have that much trouble defeating ruby.....i will tell you how i get on...i should be able to fight ruby tomorrow...i bet i will own him.....first time.......actually maybe not tomorrow...i am busy...wednesday definitely...i think that should be okay....

Zeromus_X
08-15-2006, 12:19 AM
Ah. Okay, I guess i shoulda pointed out that I'm not exactly interested in defeating Ruby. I've done it before by w-summoning Hades and Kotr. What I mean is has anyone beat him without relying on something like that? How strong would you have to be to take reasonable damage off him? I think my party is aroung lv. 70 and while staying alive wasn't too difficult the only reasonable damage I could take off him was by using the enemy skill pandora's box, cause it ignores enemies defence. (I guess Cait Sith's Limits would work too).
Or should I just accept that it just not meant to be done this way?

Just look at all those videos to see great strategies. Gil Toss was the main command the level 1 Yuffie used. If you can mime that enough times, you should wind. Or Lucky 7s, 4x Cut pwnage, anything else. It's perfectly possible to take him down without Knights.

Peter_20
08-15-2006, 02:19 PM
It's perfectly possible to take him down without Knights.Lucky Seven ftw.

cap
08-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Just look at all those videos to see great strategies. Gil Toss was the main command the level 1 Yuffie used. If you can mime that enough times, you should wind. Or Lucky 7s, 4x Cut pwnage, anything else. It's perfectly possible to take him down without Knights.

Still on dial up unfortunately! But thanks for letting me know what was in them. :)

Bart's Friend Milhouse
08-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Counter and Mime. There's a cool video on youtube of some guy demolishing Ruby with Aerith. I think I'll have fun one day doing the same thing

sephirothishere
08-15-2006, 10:24 PM
.........i jus went to northern crater to do some leveling and gain some ap before the big fight with ruby.......the thing is i couldnt get out of the f%$£^&g place....its been about a year since i last played through the game but i am pretty sure i got out of the place....so what i did today was.....i went the whole way down to the place right before fighting jenova and walked back and collected all the treasure and leveled up with magic pots....whatever.....i cant get out of the feckin' place....help....please..... : (

Zeromus_X
08-16-2006, 01:07 AM

Still on dial up unfortunately! But thanks for letting me know what was in them. :)

Oh, okay. :) Sorry. :cat:

Xurts
08-16-2006, 04:26 AM

Hey, me too! Join the club, man.

yuno
08-16-2006, 10:23 AM
ruby actually needs no special materia setup.no kotr,no ultima,no hp absorb,no what-have-you.all you need are dazers.get two people killed before the battle,then let the remaining one use dazers on ruby (and a phoenix down,if you have the w-item).when everyone's alive,hit ruby with whatever while he is still paralyzed (or stopped,if you may).when the status wears out,throw another set of dazers.use curatives when necessary.no problem at all.

Sefie1999AD
08-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Since Ruby takes hardly any damage from physical attacks, it takes forever to kill him even if you're using Dazers. You'll probably run out of Dazers before you've defeated him, unless you use the W-Item duplication trick. I'm not totally sure if Dazers work every time or if they can miss too.

sephirothishere
08-16-2006, 02:45 PM
hey...right problem solved the glitch in northern crater is dependant on where you use the save crystal...it is very random though and it can be prevented by resetting and loading a game.....but one more thing...rubys not showing up in the desert...... : /....
oh yeah i have dial up too....its so slow...i live in ireland in kilkenny and there is no ADSL coveerage in my area and sattelite broadband costs a s**t load of cash....