PDA

View Full Version : Bands you listened to before everyone else

Mythra
08-13-2006, 03:38 PM
So what bands have you listened to, and then some time later, everyone else started listening to them? Mine would have to be 30 Seconds to Mars. I saw them in concert last November, really got into them then and now it seems like alot of people listen to them. So has this happened to anyone else?

Xander
08-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Jack Johnson, someone I worked with must have downloaded him very early on and I loved his stuff, I think it was only a year later he was popular, or at least he suddenly got played on the radio loads, singles out etc. Then I got a little sick of him cos of that, heard him too much. I think that's all though.

It really bugs me when some fans act all superior because they heard bands first though... like omg we're bigger fans cos you only liked them when they became mainstream! Guess what, some people only get to hear bands when they become mainstream, so how would they know of them before? Gah.

Venom
08-13-2006, 03:48 PM
I remember listenening to the beastie boys before alot of people in my class did, and then when they're album "To the 5 boroughs" came out people in my class became Beastie boy addicts.

Helios
08-13-2006, 04:22 PM
I was into Muse before all my friends got into them, and System Of A Down. I got Muse' albulm 'Showbiz' when i was about 10. No one I knew had heard of them, and I got into System of a Down before Toxicity came out and every one started to like them.

tailz
08-13-2006, 04:28 PM
i got the entire freaking alto population at school to listen to bowling for soup so yeah id say i listened to it first :D

The Captain
08-13-2006, 06:32 PM
I am proud to say that I had the pleasure of hearing Dave Matthews Band WAY back in 1992 and from then on, I was hooked as a fan.

Take care all.

Moon Rabbits
08-13-2006, 06:34 PM
The Go! Team.

I Am Stoner
08-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Well, I heard killswitch engae before everyone else in my area, also I heard Dragonforce before any of my mates. Thats pretty much it.

Shoden
08-13-2006, 06:54 PM
not exactly before everyone else but before they become huge and popular. Dragonforce.

Avarice-ness
08-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah, Everyone's all "YAAAAAAAY" DragonForce and they act like they just showed up or something, it's annoying. =/

But since most people say that they like popular bands older albums and had really just heard them maybe 5 years ago. I've listened to NIN since NIN debuted because of my sister knowing that NIN is a great influence for a 4 year old child when she baby sat me. ^^

Zeldy
08-13-2006, 06:55 PM
I listened to Lordi months before anyone in my school had heard of them after Eurovision.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
08-13-2006, 06:56 PM
panic at the disco

I Took the Red Pill
08-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Staind.

Madame Adequate
08-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Schoolyard Heroes.

jrgen
08-13-2006, 07:37 PM
I listened to Lordi months before anyone in my school had heard of them after Eurovision.
Wow, months before eurovision!??
That is so kvlt.

Cz
08-13-2006, 07:50 PM
I don't pretend to have "discovered" any bands, since any band that I hear for the first time will probably already have a single out, or at least have a record deal. I got into the Arctic Monkeys before they hit mainstream success, but they were so hyped by the musical community that it's nothing to be proud of.

Alive-Cat
08-13-2006, 07:55 PM
What Cz said. :spin:

feona17
08-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Death Cab For Cutie, easily. I started listening to them years ago, and no one knew that I did, of course, 'cause no one knew who they were. Once they appeared on the O.C. everyone was like, "Gosh Feona, you're such a follower." Sure, that's right. :rolleyes2

Germ Hamee
08-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Evanescence.

Mercen-X
08-13-2006, 10:45 PM
There must be something, but since I was grossly unpopular my entire life, I would never know if I was listening to music that no one else was.

GooeyToast
08-13-2006, 11:16 PM
The Mars Volta

Nominus Experse
08-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Massive Attack

I recieved their album Blue Lines when I was six years old, and have been an avid fan of them since then. Once Protection and Mezzenine hit, it seemed like there was quite the flux of "followers".

It does alwyas strike me as odd when people feel as if they are more of a fan if they "discovered" a band before everyone else did. It just seems like a sad, strange excuse to gloat or boast...

NorthernChaosGod
08-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Most bands I listen to I found out about before 90% of the population.

Just to name a few:

Children of Bodom
Kalmah
Dragonforce
Amon Amarth
Job for a Cowboy
3 Inches of Blood
Lamb of God
Mastodon
The Black Dahlia Murder

riku brave
08-14-2006, 09:00 AM
practically EVERY band I've ever listened to...Good Charlotte I LOVED but now I hate them. I can just have no respect for a band whose lead singer is dating Hilary Duff. I liked it when they sang about getting beat up in school, not this crap they do now. But they were still my first concert ever, and that was like the best day of my life. I had so much fun. I just can't like them like I used to, and that's sad. Also, I loved Rancid before they were popular, and the Ataris