PDA

View Full Version : Stat maxing

Shin Gouken
08-13-2006, 09:13 PM
After completing the sphere grid i maxed most of my stats. My luck averages 25 and my HP averages 30,000. There are still empty sphere nodes dotted around, so my question is.... would it be more beneficial to use these to increase my HP or luck?

Tavrobel
08-13-2006, 09:17 PM
You can replace most of the Evasion and the Accuracy nodes for Luck nodes, so you can go ahead and use the extra nodes for HP, not that it's completely necessary.

Hambone
08-13-2006, 11:48 PM
You're H.P. is already high enough. I say go with luck.

FTF
08-14-2006, 03:25 AM
9,999 HP is enough.. luck definately. 130 or so luck essentially doubles your strength, because of the guaranteed critical hit. BHPL just wastes an armour slot...

Rockyvu
08-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Luck, if you are not planning on using clear spears to go crazy and remodel your spear grid.

"9,999 HP is enough" hmm, so many people tend to say this, but I really beg to differ....

Shin Gouken
08-14-2006, 11:22 PM
well if 9999HP isn't enough i guess 30000HP is o_0 on the other hand... im not really seeing much point in increasing my luck either. i'll go with luck i think but i get that its not really nessessary

Tavrobel
08-14-2006, 11:49 PM
A 255 Luck rating can completely replace Evasion and Accuracy, allowing you to leave them at base numbers, and you will still dodge every attack and hit every enemy.

This will allow your HP to go higher, not that it's necessary, but staring at impossibly high numbers is still fun.

FTF
08-15-2006, 12:10 AM
"9,999 HP is enough" hmm, so many people tend to say this, but I really beg to differ....

Why's that? I know firsthand that everything in the NTSC version can be easily beat with 9,999 HP, and I know from others that the Dark Aeons and Penance are also easier without BHPL.

Captain Maxx Power
08-15-2006, 12:38 AM
Don't even think about maxing out Luck, it will just take too damn long. Greater Sphere/Earth Eater are a complete pain since they counter nearly every attack. It's not impossible to optimise your stats to a point whereby you can have 255 in all stats except Luck, which you can safely have around 160 odd without too much hastle, and end up with about 80k life. People will however insist that it's better to have lower HP and use a combo of Auto-Protect/Auto-Shell/Defend. Of course it's the Heavy Tank versus the Titanium-Armoured Shrimp. Personally I'd have the Tank.

FTF
08-15-2006, 12:46 AM
Don't even think about maxing out Luck, it will just take too damn long. Greater Sphere/Earth Eater are a complete pain since they counter nearly every attack. It's not impossible to optimise your stats to a point whereby you can have 255 in all stats except Luck, which you can safely have around 160 odd without too much hastle, and end up with about 80k life. People will however insist that it's better to have lower HP and use a combo of Auto-Protect/Auto-Shell/Defend. Of course it's the Heavy Tank versus the Titanium-Armoured Shrimp. Personally I'd have the Tank.

- Greater Sphere is a bit annoying, but you only have to beat him about 30 times.

- Earth Easter is *very* quick and easy. Personally, I 4-hit him every time, and only get countered (with a flare that only hits about 1300) twice.

-"It's not impossible to optimise your stats to a point whereby you can have 255 in all stats except Luck".What? Yes it is... indeed, I have all stats including luck maxed out on my main three characters...

- It seems you don't believe BHPL does more harm than good. I'm going to refer you to this: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasy10/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-26502434&pid=197344. Scroll down to about three quarters of the way down the page, and look for the heading "No BHPL?".

Captain Maxx Power
08-15-2006, 09:25 PM

- Greater Sphere is a bit annoying, but you only have to beat him about 30 times.

After taking on Dark Flan to max out Magic, the less time I spent sitting staring at the screen pressing the X button the better.

- Earth Easter is *very* quick and easy. Personally, I 4-hit him every time, and only get countered (with a flare that only hits about 1300) twice.

What exactly is a "4-hit"?

-"It's not impossible to optimise your stats to a point whereby you can have 255 in all stats except Luck".What? Yes it is... indeed, I have all stats including luck maxed out on my main three characters...

Check your english structure here. You disagree with me then agree with me in the same sentence. I said it is not impossible to get all of your stats to 255 except luck. I wasn't saying you couldn't have all of the stats at 255.

- It seems you don't believe BHPL does more harm than good. I'm going to refer you to this: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasy10/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-26502434&pid=197344. Scroll down to about three quarters of the way down the page, and look for the heading "No BHPL?".

I've heard many arguements to explain how BHPL can be bypassed, and I don't deny that people have done it and do it regularly. I however am from the crazy land of the more damage you can take the better. That old school way of thinking. Guess I'm just too old for you new-school status-type peoples.

Sain Cai
08-15-2006, 10:28 PM
9,999 HP is enough.. luck definately. 130 or so luck essentially doubles your strength, because of the guaranteed critical hit. BHPL just wastes an armour slot...

But then you cant look at you 450,000,000,000,000 hp http://5-tigers.com/images/smiles/tired.gif

Dreddz
08-15-2006, 10:51 PM
I say Luck, maxing out your Luck would get you nearer invincibility.

FTF
08-16-2006, 08:40 AM
After taking on Dark Flan to max out Magic, the less time I spent sitting staring at the screen pressing the X button the better.

You do realize that stat maxing isn't necessary right? If you don't want to spend time/mash the X button on it, you'll be perfectly fine without it.

What exactly is a "4-hit"?

Kill him in 4 hits? (Well, *technically* it's 24 hits... 4 Slice & Dices). It takes about two minutes per kill once you reach ~115 luck.

Check your english structure here. You disagree with me then agree with me in the same sentence. I said it is not impossible to get all of your stats to 255 except luck. I wasn't saying you couldn't have all of the stats at 255.

Oops... sorry.

I've heard many arguements to explain how BHPL can be bypassed, and I don't deny that people have done it and do it regularly. I however am from the crazy land of the more damage you can take the better. That old school way of thinking. Guess I'm just too old for you new-school status-type peoples.

"Old School" takes on a new meaning every day, doesn't it? Anyways.. beating both Shinryu and Ironclad over and over hardly seems more appealing than Earth Eater/Greater Sphere. I won't bother detailing why BHPL is a waste of a slot that could be put to better use, the link I gave you does that better than I could. You still prefer BHPL, obviously, so by all means use it, but since you suggested it to someone else... I just thought I'd bring up the other side of the argument.

Oh, and I'm glad you had fun with my screen name...:rolleyes2

ScottNUMBERS
08-17-2006, 01:12 AM

Why's that? I know firsthand that everything in the NTSC version can be easily beat with 9,999 HP, and I know from others that the Dark Aeons and Penance are also easier without BHPL.
I don't believe that Penance can be defeated without Break HP Limit. Dark Aeons, sure. Penance, definately not.

Regarding the thread: It depends what you want to do really. If you want to beat Penance (Or even hit him for that matter :p) raise your Luck, a lot. If you just want to raise your stats to have crazy-impresive stats delete all the +1 +2 +3 stat nodes (Using a clear sphere bought from the Monster Arena owner for 10,000 gil each after defeating Ultima Buster) and replace them with +4 stat nodes, the 200+HP with 300+HP and the MPs with 40+MP. If you don't have the version with Penance in and you don't want to have crazy-impressive stats...well, that's just weird.

Distain
08-17-2006, 01:45 AM
I would think Luck, but at this point in the game you can pritty much hand everything and it's ass on a silver plater, so it dosent really matter that much

The Knights of the Round
08-22-2006, 02:59 AM
my oppinion is you need a break... but yah hp is more than high enough. so go for luck

profskett
08-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Everyone's been saying he should raise luck, but are you not forgetting how stupidly rare Fortune Spheres are?

farplaner
08-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Everyone's been saying he should raise luck, but are you not forgetting how stupidly rare Fortune Spheres are?

Quite a pain in the gluteus maximus, indeed.

Tavrobel
08-24-2006, 01:08 AM

We are working under the assumption that he is willing to invest the time to get them from the Earth Eater and Greater Sphere.

TheSpoonyBard
08-24-2006, 11:34 AM
With 255 Luck you'll still need 35 Eva. Acc can be left at its base value.

I don't believe that Penance can be defeated without Break HP Limit.
- Have 255 Def, use Cheer five times and have Defence +20% to reduce Oblivion's damage to less than 9,999.

- You can avoid being killed by Immolation using the same method as above. Also, since it only hits one character you can have Auto-Phoenix take care of it.

- Judgement Day deals 99,999 damage anyway, so BHPL won't help. You can summon an aeon just before he uses it or make sure you kill the arms quickly in the second half of the battle (once Penance loses the lower hald of its body). Or use Auto-Life before hand.

Captain Maxx Power
08-24-2006, 11:51 AM
- Judgement Day deals 99,999 damage anyway, so BHPL won't help. You can summon an aeon just before he uses it or make sure you kill the arms quickly in the second half of the battle (once Penance loses the lower hald of its body). Or use Auto-Life before hand.

AFAIK Judgement Day dispels Auto-Life.

TheSpoonyBard
08-24-2006, 11:55 AM
It doesn't, but it does reduce MP to 0.

Shin Gouken
08-24-2006, 10:36 PM
I would have presumed it dispells auto life but it'd be good if it didn't.

Ive raised luck for auron to 130 and will do the same for yuna and tidus (my primary party) Ive been clearing +1 nodes and replacing them with +4 spheres to make some room for luck and will raise my HP some aswell. Break HP limit does keep me alive longer and quick pockets helps restore HP fast. Protect also helps hugely too. I predict a penance bashing soon :)