PDA

View Full Version : Honest oppinions plz on dq8 and star ocean tteot

The Knights of the Round
08-15-2006, 07:27 PM
i bought dq8 today, but before taking it out of the package i want oppinions. cause if i dont like it i can still take it back. im not real nitpicky i just wanna know if the game is somewhat decent for a game just to play for fun, and obviously a decent story line a so on. also what is the battle sytem like.

also same type of oppinions on star ocean tteot.

bipper
08-15-2006, 07:53 PM
It is a decently fun game. It is different than Final Fantasy, thought it does throw a little bit of drama around here and there. I would surely keep it if I were you. Never played SOTTEOT yet

bipper

The Knights of the Round
08-15-2006, 08:27 PM
thank you bipper, someone plz oppinion on Star Ocean tteot
and some more dq8 oppinions

McLovin'
08-15-2006, 08:39 PM
You would like Dragon Quest.

It is a fun game with some good stuff going on in it. Great graphics and battle system. Good side quests. Incredible world map!

Not so much character development but they tried at times.

Never played Star Ocean sorry.

The Knights of the Round
08-15-2006, 08:41 PM
again thank you so far from what ive been told and read dq8 is a keeper and i think i will play it later(soon later). plz i really need Star Ocean till the end of time oppinions. :)

Auragaea
08-15-2006, 10:01 PM
SOTTEOT is a decent game. It has an average storyline with average characters and less than outstanding music. Really, the only thing SO really has going for it is it's battle system. Not only is it fun, but is very tactical (unless you choose to abuse some moves) and handles really well.

I Took the Red Pill
08-15-2006, 10:46 PM
They're both good, but DQVIII is much better in my opinion. That's not saying Star Ocean is bad, I just like DQ better. Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed if you actually open the package and play them, because they're both worth playing. :)

The Knights of the Round
08-15-2006, 11:08 PM
lol thx yeah the im gonna play them very soon thx

DJZen
08-15-2006, 11:21 PM
DQVIII is a great game. It is a very meat n potatoes RPG. The attacks aren't as Spectacular as Final Fantasy's, but it still manages to be a lot of fun. The story is fun and the characters are amusing and well developed. People have criticised the game for "making you level up too much" and "forcing you to fight for hours to get gold", but I really haven't had to do much of either. Any boss that poses any sort of challenge can be beaten not by levelling up, but by re-thinking your strategy. Ignore the haters, they're just philistines.

I Am Stoner
08-15-2006, 11:30 PM
DQVIII is a great game. It is a very meat n potatoes RPG. The attacks aren't as Spectacular as Final Fantasy's, but it still manages to be a lot of fun. The story is fun and the characters are amusing and well developed. People have criticised the game for "making you level up too much" and "forcing you to fight for hours to get gold", but I really haven't had to do much of either. Any boss that poses any sort of challenge can be beaten not by levelling up, but by re-thinking your strategy. Ignore the haters, they're just philistines.

Well said mate, well said. SO: TEOT is great in my opinion. Legend characters, great storyline, good world map, amazing enimes, wicked battle system and fucking amazing weapons and clothing. The clothing doesnt change, it just looks great all the way through. Except for fayt in those pansy shorts at the begining of the game. But then again, DQ8 is amazing!! It is so long and there is so much to do!! The dragonballz like graphics suit it really well, the battle system is good. I havent played it much yet, but what I have played of it, it is amazing.

Dreddz
08-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Star Ocean 3 wasnt great by any means, OK battle system, but *sigh* thats it really.

DQVIII was pretty good, not the best DQ, but seeing as Level 5 put some work into it it turned out better than I thought..

jj984jj
08-16-2006, 02:15 AM
Yeah, DQVIII was great. Very classic style RPG. Star Ocean 3 was a step back from SO2 though, Second Story was so much better story and gameplay wise. The battle system was good, but this time there was no real reason you were on the underdeveloped planets so long other than to kill time, and you're on them for like half the game. At least there was a point to it in part 2.

Zeromus_X
08-16-2006, 02:25 AM
I'll be honest, I do have a fixation with tri-Ace games in general. But I honestly think SO3 is a great game. If you really must whine about the story, then I guess you wouldn't like it, but I'd give it a shot. With it's battle system, and overload of tri-Ace bonus stuff to fill out hundreds of hours of your life, you certainly won't be bored.

DQVIII, too, is a wonderful game. It's actually somewhat challenging compared to other RPGs of today (though past DQ games are still tougher...*groan*DQII*groan*) If you like old school RPGs, and DQ games in general, it won't disappoint. There's also ton of exploration and secrets to be found. Like DJZen pointed out, you'll actually have to think in an RPG. Imagine that, thinking instead of clicking X on a menu over and over...:cat:

But instead of listening to 'omg i loved this game!1one' and 'omg this game sux!1one', go and play them and find out for yourself.

And seriously, SO3 is like, $20 if you live in America. DQVIII shouldn't be too expensive anymore either. Well, wouldn't know about PAL and other regions though...:cat:

(SO2 was a step back from SO2...)gameplay wise. The battle system was good, but this time there was no real reason you were on the underdeveloped planets so long other than to kill time, and you're on them for like half the game. At least there was a point to it in part 2.

Wow, big XD from me. I guess you didn't play either games very attentively. But I won't bring this up again. But really, I find thinking through battles rather than 'tearing the enemy into pieces' much more innovative.

Vyk
08-16-2006, 03:20 AM
People have criticised the game for "making you level up too much" and "forcing you to fight for hours to get gold", but I really haven't had to do much of either. Any boss that poses any sort of challenge can be beaten not by levelling up, but by re-thinking your strategy

o_O Maybe I should re-thinking passing this game over. As I hate pointless leveling. I don't mind it being a challenge when you don't take an opportunity. But it shouldn't be punishingly impossible if you just play through a game. FF9 and Tales of Symphonia did that to me. Which is why I shied away from DQ8

Zeromus_X
08-16-2006, 03:31 AM

You don't need to do 'pointless leveling up'. And if you must, use power leveling strategies. You want real power leveling? Go play DQII or something. Spend a nice four hours finding that Thunder Sword on the ground. :mad:

Tavrobel
08-16-2006, 03:49 AM
If you've played Final Fantasy alot, then DQVIII and SO3 should be a bit of a shock, but hopefully not by much. They are very much thinker games (as previously mentioned). Money might be a little difficult to get, but if you work your way around it, it should not be a problem in either.

SO3 does ALOT more damage as a whole. In DQVIII, you'll be lucky if you can do fifteen damage. They are not groundbreaking OMG THS SI TEH HAX games, but fun nonetheless.

The Knights of the Round
08-16-2006, 05:32 AM
ok yeah thx for all the oppinions im sure ill like em. and yeah im in the U.S so both where only 20.. great deals

I Took the Red Pill
08-16-2006, 06:04 AM
o_O Maybe I should re-thinking passing this game over. As I hate pointless leveling. I don't mind it being a challenge when you don't take an opportunity. But it shouldn't be punishingly impossible if you just play through a game. FF9 and Tales of Symphonia did that to me. Which is why I shied away from DQ8

I always hated extreme leveling too, but I don't mind leveling in DQVIII for some reason. Maybe it's the crisp and often humorous enemy designs you encounter. That being said, I still didn't have to do tons and tons of leveling. Some of the weapons ARE very expensive, but I guess buying it after working so much makes it that much better when you actually buy it. I don't think you would be disappointed with the game itself, you don't have to level as much as people make it seem, and when you do, it's not as excruciatingly boring as it can be in other games.

LunarWeaver
08-16-2006, 06:42 AM
I actually liked Star Ocean 3's narrative and the battle system is fun, but it requires so much backtracking I wanted to beat myself in the head with a brick. I couldn't wait for the game to be over, and I have no motivation to do any of the bazillion post-game stuff or earn any battle trophies since there is no important New Game + features that carry over and ultimately no real reward for doing any of it anyway. It's all just for the sake of fun for those that love the game and that wasn't me, but it could be you. I know a fellow who has sunk over 700 hours into Star Ocean 3 after all :O_O:

Dragon Quest VIII was fun to me for about 40 hours then I got extremely bored and took a break from it that continues to this day. I'll probly pick it up again someday, but who knows. DQVIII is actually quite fun, and though the battle system seems dryer than sand sometimes it's well put together. But it does get repetitive, as all RPGs do, and the amount of narrative is significantly less than most RPGs being spit out today, so that's sort of missing to keep you interested. I literally went 15 hours without any of the 4 main characters even speaking (though cutscenes were happening so it's not like no story was present), and that bothers me because I'm a freak for character interaction and development.

Anyway, I don't regret buying either. DQVIII is superior on a technical level at least... A lot of love went into both games :cat:

As for the whining that DQVIII is too hard and that it requires too much leveling and gold hunting I have never once had a problem with any of those things if that means anything. I didn't really think the game was hard at all. The only thing that made it difficult in the slightest is that Enix is too afraid to put in a turn order because that would be drastic change and Japan would nuke itself if Dragon Quest changed that much.

ValkyrieWing
08-16-2006, 07:46 AM
I haven't played DQ8, but SO:TTEOT is an amazing game...even if you DO have to walk EVERYWHERE. The battle system is nicely active, and the story is good...and LONG. I like that in an RPG.

Khaotic
08-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Imo: Star ocean is 100x better than DQ8 personally, I get bored at games where the main character nods his/her head instead of talking, though thats selfish and "nitpicky",its just the way I enjoy my games, and a talking main character will always be better.

Vyk
08-16-2006, 11:36 AM
I can't help but agree with you on that. I think something like that makes a game being the difference between just being a game and being an experience. And I only consider games with "real" main characters an experience.

crazybayman
08-16-2006, 02:32 PM
DQ8 is the shizzle. Definitely play that one.

I rented SO3 when it first came out, and personally I wan't that impressed with it. (It was the first SO I ever played, mind you).

I prefer DQ8 by far over SO3. DQ8 has a battle system similar to FF, has great secrets to unlock, a vast world to explore, and loads of treasure to find. The scenery is spectacular, too. A bit more levelling is required than that of Final Fantasy, but still loads of fun. There's loads of wilderness to explore and treasures to find while levelling, making it that much more fun.

Actually, the little bit extra required gold collecting and levelling makes your weapons and armour purchases that much more special :p .

I Took the Red Pill
08-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Imo: Star ocean is 100x better than DQ8 personally, I get bored at games where the main character nods his/her head instead of talking, though thats selfish and "nitpicky",its just the way I enjoy my games, and a talking main character will always be better.
I do like games with main characters that talk, but it's not that important to me. The main characters of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross never talked throughout the course of the game, and those games still turned out to be amazing.

tidus_rox
08-17-2006, 12:48 AM
I like Dragon Quest 8 better than star ocean. I dislike the battle system in star ocean. The stryline in dq is awsome... battle system i love. (Cuz its like ff 10 in a way) both games are good... keep them both..

ValkyrieWing
08-17-2006, 12:55 AM
I dunno...I get pretty bored with turn-based battles.